• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantic dream on PS3

Steroyd said:
Oh jeez the makers of Fahreinheit, please keep it as close to reality and realism this time and I'll buy your game.

kthxbye.

That's what it is

IGN: How much of the story will be grounded in reality? Will it be heavy in the supernatural or science-fiction realms?

Cage:The concept of Heavy Rain is to offer real-life situations with real characters. There are no supernatural elements in the story.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/711/711613p3.html

zallaaa

Router said:
QT's games are doomed to be critically praised but commercial failures. Its a shame.

you're right... they are quite a niche kind of games. IMHO, a digital delivery and an episodic structure could attract even the casual gamer hence improving the sales

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Marconelly said:
You make fun...
Not entirely. I employed a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor as part of an attempt to figure out where'd they'd go with their tech demo. I think going "experimental" on PSN would actually be the best approach as I just can't see paying retail prices for this kind of game concept.

NSider

That girl in the trailer gives me the creeps..

1183394973_Uncanny_Valley.png

PleoMax

Banned
It's kinda weird they took so long to sign a deal with a publiser though.

I wonder what that means...still very ealy, the game is? That would suck. I'm honestly sick and tired of "waiting" so much for the games i want. Fortunatily, this fall is coming sooner than expected.

PleoMax said:

I wonder what that means...still very ealy, the game is? That would suck. I'm honestly sick and tired of "waiting" so much for the games i want. Fortunatily, this fall is coming sooner than expected.

I think Sony took the game away from another publisher because in their IGN interview QD said they'd be announcing their publisher soon after that and it still hasn't officially happened.

PleoMax said:

... when did you expect Fall to come? In Spring?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So is Sony publishing it then?

Where's this press release coming from?

edit - i swear i didn't see your question cicatriz :p

Ragnarok10

It's Heavy Rain:
Paris, July 3th 2007. Sony Computer entertainment worldwide studios and the developers at Quantic Dream have the pleasure to announce their collaboration for a title on PlayStation 3, more information will be put available soon. Quantic Dream is already known for making cinematic and interactive games that have a lot of 'emotion' in them. This new project will make heavy use of the processing power of the Cell and technology found in the PS3 to achieve emotional sensations never reached before in previous attempts.

The french development studio Quantic Dream was founded in 1997 by David Cage. Already Quantic Dream has made a reputation for themselves in the videogames industry, in particular for interactive narration and emotional content. The most important realisations form this studio are: Fahrenheit (called Indogo Prophecy in the USA and Canada), a game that has won a price in 2005 and mixes game and cinema, completely renewing the adventure genre.

Michael Denny, Vice president at Sony computer entertainment worldwide studio Europe affirmed: "We're really enthousiastic by the prospect to work with Quantic Dream for the first time and thus having the opportunity to further improve the interactivity in our games and to bring gamers new sensations they have never experienced before. We hope we can share more information about this new title as soon as possible this year."

gcubed

Steroyd said:
Oh thank god.

As awesome as Fahrenheit was, the second half of it was batshit insane.

WTF doesn't even come close to describing the plot twist.

never played it, batshit insane you say?

Purchase confirmed.

PleoMax

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think Sony took the game away from another publisher because in their IGN interview QD said they'd be announcing their publisher soon after that and it still hasn't officially happened.

I hope so.

AltogetherAndrews said:
... when did you expect Fall to come? In Spring?

Hun?

Barnolde

Banned
zallaaa said:
you're right... they are quite a niche kind of games. IMHO, a digital delivery and an episodic structure could attract even the casual gamer hence improving the sales

Fahrenheit was a top 10 seller in Europe, it only bombed in the US.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Crisis said:
That's likely but it doesn't say that specifically.

It doesn't, but the description matches perfectly, and Quantic Dream probably isn't a multi-project studio. It was also the game Sony invited to highlight at E3 last year in their booth.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
It was also the game Sony invited to highlight at E3 last year in their booth.
It was a prototype/demo that Sony financed. It would be very surprising if this news wasn't regarding Heavy Rain.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wollan said:
Any bets on this being episodic?

You know Fahrenheit was meant as episodic when it first was announced. They then turned from that path and glued the game together, hence the weird latter half of the game.

Anyway I am happy for QD, they are awesome developers in my book. And I hope they can realize everything they envisioned with the backing of Sony. I think they are also working on the Nomad Soul 2.

justjohn

this is the kind of games microsoft should be moneyhating. not freaking katamari
btw i'm going back to watch the trailer again. havent seen it in almost a year

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mmmkay said:
Depends. StephaneC did you actually receive a press release or are you reporting on what's in this thread? :p

Just noted the obvious - that the PR is dated for tomorrow. So unless StephaneC did actually receive it independently, we may not find out for sure if this is legit or not until tomorrow.

It'd be nice to see any corroboration.

Zenith

Banned
Router said:
Yeah. Im not sure if sony bothered to get in on that game. I think its still going multiplatform at this stage.

It was Sony that persuaded QD to out the demo on the floor at last year's E3.

E3?

It could be Heavy Rain but I will wait for an announcement.

Cage confirmed Heavy Rain will be at this year's E3.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Kabouter slit his wrists over this news. That's the only possible explanation for him not posting in this thread.

Kabouter

Nino said:
Kabouter slit his wrists over this news. That's the only possible explanation for him not posting in this thread.
:lol
Well, it's not that bad yet :p
But this is terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible news if true. I'm really looking forward to Heavy Rain and I'm not looking to spend 600 euros on a console I'll barely use, especially not after spending 400 euros on a console I barely use.

calder

I really liked Fahrenheit despite the occasional gameplay oddities. I'm even more excited to hear HR doesn't have the fantastical elements as they were slapped onto Fahrenheit a bit goofily.

Busty

Banned
Somewhat ironically, I'm surprised that this hasn't been revealed before now. SCEE executives have been using that 'Heavy Rain' demo from last year's E3 in internal presentations for the PS3 for the last year or so and have apparently been openly talking about it as their game.

Though not 100% sure, I think that Quantic Dream are possibly working under the same deal with Sony as Factor 5, Evolution and other Sony second party developers. They have signed a three game deal with Sony for the PS3 and will effectively be PS3 exclusive developers this gen.

I imagine that the game will be shown at Sony's E3 press conference in some form (Trailer maybe?) as some within Sony were using QD's Heavy Rain demo to show the PS3's 'power and potential'. I imagine that this will be a significant, AAA title for Sony.

Take it anyway you want.

*shrugs shouders*

pcostabel

Gold Member
Kabouter said:
:lol
Well, it's not that bad yet :p
But this is terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible news if true. I'm really looking forward to Heavy Rain and I'm not looking to spend 600 euros on a console I'll barely use, especially not after spending 400 euros on a console I barely use.

Sell the 400 euros and get the 600 euros. This way you can only spend 200 euros for a console you'll barely use.

gcubed

pcostabel said:
Sell the 400 euros and get the 600 euros. This way you can only spend 200 euros for a console you'll barely use.

*scratches head*

now i know math wasnt my strong point in college but...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Busty said:
Somewhat ironically, I'm surprised that this hasn't been revealed before now. SCEE executives have been using that 'Heavy Rain' demo from last year's E3 in internal presentations for the PS3 for the last year or so and have apparently been openly talking about it as their game.

Though not 100% sure, I think that Quantic Dream are possibly working under the same deal with Sony as Factor 5, Evolution and other Sony second party developers. They have signed a three game deal with Sony for the PS3 and will effectively be PS3 exclusive developers this gen.

I imagine that the game will be shown at Sony's E3 press conference in some form (Trailer maybe?) as some within Sony were using QD's Heavy Rain demo to show the PS3's 'power and potential'. I imagine that this will be a significant, AAA title for Sony.

Take it anyway you want.

*shrugs shouders*

Thanks for the info.

plagiarize said:
wherever this shows up, i hope it realizes the potential that Fahrenheit showed, and sells healthily.

What is heathly to you? 500,000 units? 1 Million?

kaching said:
So I guess no AO rating on this one...
you really want to start all that again? i'm not in the mood.

whatever rating the game gets i want it to sell heathily if it realises the potential shown in Fahrenheit.

what 'healthily' is, well... no idea in units, but enough that they make a profit and that other people are encouraged to make similar games.

if it squanders that potential again, i wouldn't want it to sell well.

PleoMax

Banned
Busty said:

Well i don't want to doubt you, but how do you know this? Nobody ever talked about this, and i never heard about Heavy Rain being used in internal presentations either.

And i also never heard about the 3 game deal with factor 5.

Kittonwy

Banned
That trailer scares me, cuz you never know when someone can go a little neurotic, but what kind of idiot would leave the lipstick on his collar? If all else fails, just throw some soya sauce on it. A lint remover is a man's best friend.
Indifferent2.gif

I'm not a cheater and I do not advocate cheating.

Busty

Banned
PleoMax said:
Well i don't want to doubt you, but how do you know this?

I don't work in the video games industry.
Directly.
Sometimes I'm told stuff, that's it. Nothing more exciting than that I'm affraid.

I'm sure Aisenharz will come in and tell me I'm wrong.

PleoMax said:
Nobody ever talked about this, and i never heard about Heavy Rain being used in internal presentations either.

Why would you?

PleoMax said:
And i also never heard about the 3 game deal with factor 5.

It's my understanding, that it's really a place holder deal to keep the developer in question making PS3 exclusive games.

I know in Evolution's case it's allowed them to (seek outside investment and) expand because they have the knowledge that they have the revenue from three PS3 games coming in.

But as I said, I don't know if QD are subject to the same deal or if it's a 'one off'.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Factor5-Sony deal is for two games, at least that's what was reported. Maybe it's 3 now if they're including a downloadable game in there too.

Top Bottom