• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Gameplay (Gamescom 2015)

KORNdoggy

So where are people seeing the award winners and nominees from SIGGRAPH 2015?

Looking at their site I cant see anything about any award winners apart from something to do with AC?

i have no idea. a site claimed they won and i guess that's all there is?

I'm dubious about their 1080p comment though. especially after alan wake's sub HD shenanigans.

The game is 1080p but lighting and I believe shadows are at a lower resolution (720p) Kinda similar to how Forza5 is 1080p/60fps but the reflections in the cars in mirrors are 30fps

Actually it's more similar to other games that run in native res, but has some other effects in lower res, which is actually quite common for consoles :p

And it's worth pointing that they are not using just that 720p for lighting and shadows, they found out that no current GI solution gave them the quality and performance they'd like, so they mixed many techniques to achieve that. (which is probably why the light buffer had to be lower res)

They use a 720p gbuffer for more local based ambient occlusion, reflections, but for large scale they use a voxel structure, so they can reflect objects outside of the screen, large scale ambient occlusion and GI, which screen space doesn't handle very well.

Gurish

So where are people seeing the award winners and nominees from SIGGRAPH 2015?

Looking at their site I cant see anything about any award winners apart from something to do with AC?

Yea I don't see any official mention to this either, who were the nominees anyway?
The official page does not mention such award.

There's a Quantum Break preview in the latest issue of Game Informer (Dark Souls III cover). According to the article, Microsoft and Remedy are unsure how they're going to distribute the TV show portion of the game. I really hope this was a misunderstanding, as I was under the impression that the show was definitely shipping on the disc. I'll be very disappointed if we have to stream the show or download it separately.

element

There's a Quantum Break preview in the latest issue of Game Informer (Dark Souls III cover). According to the article, Microsoft and Remedy are unsure how they're going to distribute the TV show portion of the game. I really hope this was a misunderstanding, as I was under the impression that the show was definitely shipping on the disc. I'll be very disappointed if we have to stream the show or download it separately.
Show is integrated into the game. They aren't separate at all.

Really starting to feel like the direction of the game is now different to what they showed in the beginning.

Not sure where those investigative moments like saving the woman from the bomb blast will fit into the game, doesn't seem as multi directional any more and is more linear/singular focused in the story it's telling.

Really starting to feel like the direction of the game is now different to what they showed in the beginning.

Not sure where those investigative moments like saving the woman from the bomb blast will fit into the game, doesn't seem as multi directional any more and is more linear/singular focused in the story it's telling.

What was shown so long ago was more a concept what the game would/could be. So as with every video game, when you develop it and test ideas, some work and some dont and slowly you are finding the right vision for the game :)

If you've read any of the recent previews of Quantum Break like from Edge, they clearly say how the player impacts the story with the decisions one can make.

solis74

It is a condensed version of the demo we showed behind closed doors at Gamescom 2015 in August and are showing at the Brasil Game Show. We have not released the footage to the public and probably wont.

PLEASSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Release the footage to the public :)

Sorry for the bump!

jFOfzGb.jpg

Fingers crossed we start seeing previews from some of the big sites over the next couple of weeks (hopefully a bit sooner!). Think they need to crank up the hype and exposure for this game quite a bit!

Gestault

It looks real nice visually but man are those enemies braindead or something? Gameplay does not look fun to me.

There was an interview a while back where they said a big part of fighting "normal" enemies is by controlling their minimum reaction time by using the dash/freeze elements. So technically, you could juggle a group of enemies by just staying slightly ahead of their normal reaction time in the standard timeline.

Playing, it's almost treated like a resource puzzle, but watching, you'd just see a goober moving around and enemies looking confused. I hope that's how it feels.

brawly

There was an interview a while back where they said a big part of fighting "normal" enemies is by controlling their minimum reaction time by using the dash/freeze elements. So technically, you could juggle a group of enemies by just staying slightly ahead of their normal reaction time in the standard timeline.

Playing, it's almost treated like a resource puzzle, but watching, you'd just see a goober moving around and enemies looking confused. I hope that's how it feels.

But how many times can you freeze time and dash before it gets boring? Enemies just standing around.

But how many times can you freeze time and dash before it gets boring? Enemies just standing around.

Everything we have seen from the game so far has been when the game has been played in God mode, I wouldn't say it is wholly representative of the finished product. At least that's what I've heard Sam say in a couple of interviews.

We'll find out sooner rather than later anyway :)

brawly

Everything we have seen from the game so far has been when the game has been played in God mode, I wouldn't say it is wholly representative of the finished product. At least that's what I've heard Sam say in a couple of interviews.

God-mode doesn't dumbdown the A.I. though, it just makes you unkillable. So the A.I. should still be representative of the final product.

Gestault

I mean you can raise that question about any mechanic you use frequently in a game. We'll basically know right when it releases, and maybe even earlier depending on the writing to come out of the preview events. It's really easy to be reductive about mechanics like that, though (in a not-always-reliable way).

Any word on when pre-orders will go live for digital on Xbox One?

I have $100 of credit waiting for it but it expires March 30th, if the game doesn't delay again from April 5th then I should be fine since they would have gone up by then.

It would be a shame if there's no smart A.I. In this game. We need a challenge or else it will get boring. I guess we'll find out in previews and reviews.

I also really hope the game isn't short. At least similar to Alan Wake would be fine.

Theorry

"Ryan McCaffrey ‏@DMC_Ryan
I wish I could've been there, but we've got it covered. Look for a LOT of new QB coverage on @IGN soon. "

Any word on when pre-orders will go live for digital on Xbox One?

I have $100 of credit waiting for it but it expires March 30th, if the game doesn't delay again from April 5th then I should be fine since they would have gone up by then.

Im sure pre-orders will go live very soon, it will be early March at the latest i'd wager. You'll be able to preload it before 30th March for sure

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
So effing excited for this game. Bring on the previews!

Animator

If a pc version is not announced by the time this game is out I will pick up an xbox one. A quantum break bundle is pretty much a given right?

A bit of a write up from the Daily Star here in the UK, that's a weird one if ever there was for them to have this - dont think its from the preview event this week?

When it was shown at length during Gamescom last year, many fans drew comparisons with Remedy Entertainment’s popular Alan Wake video game, comparing the predecessors flashlight gunplay mechanics to that of Quantum Break’s time bubble abilities.

The general tone of the story, along with how the narrative panned out during the gameplay presentation was also sure to please those hoping for a sequel to the popular Xbox 360 title.

And it appears fans can also thank the 2010 release for being the inspiration behind Quantum Break, with an old Alan Wake draft contributing to the creation of the Xbox One action game.

Speaking exclusively to Express.co.uk, creative director Sam Lake revealed how some of the unused ideas from Alan Wake came to inspire the upcoming time-shattering title.

“Part of the idea does come from an old draft of Alan Wake, a version of the story that was more fragmented, more a series of different stories he had written,” Lake revealed.

“One of them featured a particle accelerator, a science theme, quantum physics, many-worlds interpretation.

Interestingly enough, the developers at Remedy decided to use the same concept for the Night Springs stories featured in Alan Wake, episode one is titled: “Quantum Suicide”.

Lake also revealed how Quantum Break was put together, explaining how the project eventually turned into the third-person shooter set for release on April 5.

“That draft of the story never made it any further than that, but the concept later turned into an episode of Night Springs that appears in the game, Lake added.

“At some point that made me think of a game concept with similar themes, and that turned into an elevator pitch that led, after many twists and turns and iterations, into Quantum Break.

Thomas Puha, communications director at Remedy also spoke more on the game’s story and how fans can expect some juicy plot twists.

“Alan Wake had its twists and turns and you do expect that from Remedy, and of course Quantum Break is a time-travel story, so that already brings along some surprises.

“Story, dialogue and characters are super important for Remedy. We are tweaking things to the very last minute to ensure the game is as great as it can be.

“While the beginning of the game is quite well understood, we can assure you there are plenty of twists and turns in the story, but we won’t ruin it for you!

“At the same time, this is meant to be a big blockbuster kind of experience so it’s definitely easier to follow than Alan Wake, but we’ve worked hard to keep the mystery and excitement in there.”

Xbox-One-exclusives-444964.jpg

Sorry for the bump!

jFOfzGb.jpg

Fingers crossed we start seeing previews from some of the big sites over the next couple of weeks (hopefully a bit sooner!). Think they need to crank up the hype and exposure for this game quite a bit!

The coverage is going to start soon...things are really kicking off for Quantum Break :)

There are enemies like the Strikers who share some Jack's capabilities via Chronon technology, so they can warp around etc...they will give you a challenge. Trust me.

God-mode doesn't dumbdown the A.I. though, it just makes you unkillable. So the A.I. should still be representative of the final product.

So a lot of the footage you have seen is from summer 2015 for Gamescom. AI really was not done at that point, hence the enemies in the trailers dont seem to give you much fight.

Top Bottom