• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Gamersyde preview. HQ gameplay inside.

//DEVIL//

""That being said, overall Quantum Break does not look as incredible as The Division on Xbox One,""

Please... you need big glasses. like.. ASAP. maybe new Eyes too if needed :/

Technically and Visually this game makes the Division looks like a Xbox 360 game.

physics. explosions, stunning details, animation. they are way higher level than the Division it't not even funny :/

Thanks for the videos though. impressive work

Looks very good indeed. Remedy have done well with the environment details, lighting and effects. If they've had to drop the res I think it's a good trade off to create an interesting looking game. Just hope the game is not too short. Really dig the time stuff.

Will have to wait to see if they've messed up the windows version with UWA and I still haven't updated to Win 10 yet. Would love this to be Origin, Uplay or Steam, I don't care which platform, just don't need this closed UWA thing. If you like that then fine, give me an option to play it as a normal PC game.

""That being said, overall Quantum Break does not look as incredible as The Division on Xbox One,""

Please... you need big glasses. like.. ASAP. maybe new Eyes too if needed :/

Technically and Visually this game makes the Division looks like a Xbox 360 game.

physics. explosions, stunning details, animation. they are way higher level than the Division it't not even funny :/

Thanks for the videos though. impressive work

Well, they have played both games. Have you played both that you can confidently say that?
Watching video games on youtube is not the same as playing them by yourself.

The most annoying thing about Remedy is that they take ages to produce their games, as good as they are there's absolutely nothing in QB that takes 6 years to make, it's a 7 hour linear shooter, doesn't have multiplayer and other core features, an experienced team of 150+ people like Remedy should spend 3 years tops to make a game like this. Again look at ND and Uncharted, comparable scope, hell Uncharted even has multiplayer, and that only took 2 years on lastgen, and 3 years on ps4 due to scrapped material. Just seems like mismanagement.

Is this how your studio works? How long was your last game?

Blobbers

lSV5GTh.gif

Aw man, you cut just before when he shoots the mustard bottle and mustard bursts out

Stillmatic

Unbelievable visual effects, probably the best I've seen in a game. I can't say the rest of the graphics are impressive, but I'd play this for VFX alone (and the fact it's a Remedy game).

There was like 75 people at remedy when they released alan wake. I guess they have more than doubled now.

This game looks absolutely incredible for the console it is on. That other thread was an embarassment

Aw man, you cut just before when he shoots the mustard bottle and mustard bursts out

Yup that mustard spray is essentail for that gif! sort it out :)

EGM1966

TD on XB1 is also not native 1080P, most of the time it's 900P, so your IQ claim is not relevant, and obviously QB got much better character models, amazing effects, and overall much better fidelity, how can an open world game be comparable if we are talking strictly about visuals?
We're talking final IQ as on the screen. Most of the time The Divsion has a better IQ and from my understanding it's mostly above 900p too.

As ever half the issue is people talk all kinds of things when discussion graphics.

QB has amazing effects, the distortion, particles, lighting, etc. but it pays a price in IQ and overall visual presentation to have them. It's soft and it's clearly not as sharp or overall good an IQ as a number of other games on XB1.

How could it not?

QB has to run on the same HW as games like The Division and ROTTR and it has to allocate more of the available resources (which are identical for all on XB1) to the effects and looses out on resolution and as a result one of the key drivers of great IQ.

It doesn't look bad, it looks very good. And it has amazing effects. But the visual IQ suffers vs games with less effects that can pump more of the available resources into overall sharp IQ.

Dark10x put it well in another thread I think:

"Also, I think simply saying it's 720p isn't giving it enough credit what Remedy is doing image quality wise. It's a very VERY soft looking game but also remarkably clean - almost like a pre-rendered movie at points. The low resolution doesn't result in ugly aliasing artefacts everything, it simply eliminates the sharpness you'd get at 1080p (which the PC version can deliver). It looks more like a Blu-ray player outputting at 720p versus a game rendered at 720p.

I've never had a problem with soft, blurred imagery but I recognize that many people will. It's one of those things that also hinges on the display used and the viewing distance. On my Pioneer plasma, the game actually looks quite remarkable and very clean - but on an LCD monitor from close proximity, the issues become much more apparent."

Remedy have done an amazing job on XB1 IMHO to have those effects and make 720p look as good as they have. But there's no mistaking from an IQ perspective they're making 720p look good and they can't make it look as good as a very clean and sharp 1080p (or 1080pr) game.

We're talking final IQ as on the screen. Most of the time The Divsion has a better IQ and from my understanding it's mostly above 900p too.

As ever half the issue is people talk all kinds of things when discussion graphics.

QB has amazing effects, the distortion, particles, lighting, etc. but it pays a price in IQ and overall visual presentation to have them. It's soft and it's clearly not as sharp or overall good an IQ as a number of other games on XB1.

How could it not?

QB has to run on the same HW as games like The Division and ROTTR and it has to allocate more of the available resources (which are identical for all on XB1) to the effects and looses out on resolution and as a result one of the key drivers of great IQ.

It doesn't look bad, it looks very good. And it has amazing effects. But the visual IQ suffers vs games with less effects that can pump more of the available resources into overall sharp IQ.

"Also, I think simply saying it's 720p isn't giving it enough credit what Remedy is doing image quality wise. It's a very VERY soft looking game but also remarkably clean - almost like a pre-rendered movie at points. The low resolution doesn't result in ugly aliasing artefacts everything, it simply eliminates the sharpness you'd get at 1080p (which the PC version can deliver). It looks more like a Blu-ray player outputting at 720p versus a game rendered at 720p.

I've never had a problem with soft, blurred imagery but I recognize that many people will. It's one of those things that also hinges on the display used and the viewing distance. On my Pioneer plasma, the game actually looks quite remarkable and very clean - but on an LCD monitor from close proximity, the issues become much more apparent."

Remedy have done an amazing job on XB1 IMHO to have those effects and make 720p look as good as they have. But there's no mistaking from an IQ perspective they're making 720p look good and they can't make it look as good as a very clean and sharp 1080p (or 1080pr) game.

Is it confirmed to be 720p now then? becuase it looks amazing. your post is very good in my opinion, it also goes to show that resolution makes an image sharperr but it arguebly doesn't make the game look better

derFeef

Clean and soft sounds alright, I prefer this to sharp but shimmering. Hopefully the PC version can deliver, save transfer is my new hero.

Purest 78

Is it confirmed to be 720p now then? becuase it looks amazing. your post is very good in my opinion, it also goes to show that resolution makes an image sharperr but it arguebly doesn't make the game look better

Resolution has a impact on image Quality not necessarily Graphics.

AP90

The most annoying thing about Remedy is that they take ages to produce their games, as good as they are there's absolutely nothing in QB that takes 6 years to make, it's a 7 hour linear shooter, doesn't have multiplayer and other core features, an experienced team of 150+ people like Remedy should spend 3 years tops to make a game like this. Again look at ND and Uncharted, comparable scope, hell Uncharted even has multiplayer, and that only took 2 years on lastgen, and 3 years on ps4 due to scrapped material. Just seems like mismanagement.

From the explosions and effects (the time speed run is freaking awesome) shows that the extra time spent on tweaking those effects and concepts was well worth it. QB does not seem like your typical 3rd person shooter at all.

And every developer is different, I'm glad ND can crank out it's UC games fast enough for you to approve. However creating a new IP vs cranking out a sequel based on the foundation and mechanics of the first game or two should be easier and more expedient IMO.

//DEVIL//

Well, they have played both games. Have you played both that you can confidently say that?
Watching video games on youtube is not the same as playing them by yourself.

no i played the division and i thought it looks bad. which is expected for an open world game. comparing it to this game is a crime really. i mean. those videos / gifs represent what the game looks like. and they are so much better than the Division graphically.

to each has his own but i am think it's not even fair to put both games side by side.

EGM1966

So far as I'm aware its 720p but there does seem some doubt.

Personally I'm a little surprised Remedy didn't go for dynamic resolution.

I think it looks great and personally it's nice to see a game put so much focus on something other than the usual visuals and effects.

It's a shame it's going to be dragged into console wars as "representing XB1" which I think doesn't do the game any favours IMHO.

Remedy went after a lot of graphical effects and tied it to gameplay so while ti was always going to look good it was never going to be all about the final IQ. Something had to give and however they're rendering the result is a soft image that doesn't match the fine IQ of 1080p titles but thanks to their clever efforts looks really good nonetheless.

Gurish

How could it not?

But you think IQ is everything? TD looks better only because it has a better IQ?
All other things like textures, details, character models, effects doesn't matter?

So why do you think TD looks better?

BouncyFrag

Lol laughed at that also haha.

Gif from the YT version.

JbDPrUS.gif
I predict shooting up mustard bottles will be an activity akin to closing all those car doors in The Division. Mustard bottles will be all over the place.

Damn, this game is looking pretty tight. I also love seeing actors from The Wire too.

Holy crap at the cars blowing up in slowmo in the first video.

edit: Karak also mentioned the "big patch" might improve graphics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwqmjUijNA

I swear this is my most hyped game this year. This video got me just....I need it now...please!

So far as I'm aware its 720p but there does seem some doubt.

Personally I'm a little surprised Remedy didn't go for dynamic resolution.

I think it looks great and personally it's nice to see a game put so much focus on something other than the usual visuals and effects.

It's a shame it's going to be dragged into console wars as "representing XB1" which I think doesn't do the game any favours IMHO.

Remedy went after a lot of graphical effects and tied it to gameplay so while ti was always going to look good it was never going to be all about the final IQ. Something had to give and however they're rendering the result is a soft image that doesn't match the fine IQ of 1080p titles but thanks to their clever efforts looks really good nonetheless.

Yeh, Maybe they released on PC so people can just max it out if they wish and see it in all its glory from the get go, while other poeple can enjoy (hopefully) another great game from on of my favourite devs, no one does it quiet like Remedy

Theorry

I predict shooting up mustard bottles will be an activity akin to closing all those car doors in The Division. Mustard bottles will be all over the place.

Damn, this game is looking pretty tight. I also love seeing actors from The Wire too.

They need marketing for it like a Marvel movie.. #teamketchup or #teammustard :p

thelastword

Banned
that's the time control powers

its not taking the pillars down

Think you are confusing the bullet damage with the time power visuals wich effect those pillars and maybe looks like the are torn down with bullets. :)

? nothing is taking the pillars down. It's the distortion of the time dodge you see.

The pillars are fine and they are not taken down

it's because of the time power just like what's happening to the ground.

Well I probably won't be (who knows, isn't the win 10 store killing games?!) but I would if I had too, my point was more that despite the lowly number of p's this still looks incredible in the vids.

Ripple effects from the Time Control powers
Yeah, just watched the gamersyde videos, everything thing seems undisturbed after every time manipulated gunfight.

Joohanh

ARGH, why can't things just be perfect?

When watching the initial gameplay videos, I noted that the graphics looked terrific, but the gameplay bland. Now the gameplay looks absolutely amazing, but the graphics bring Alan Wake to mind in a not-so-good way. Effects are awesome, but there really isn't going around low resolution. (Not saying I didn't think Alan Wake looked great, but those resolution compromises were more OK last gen than this.)

Remedy isn't to blame, though - those special effects look absolutely crucial to the overall feel of the gameplay, and if the Xbox can't run them better, then it just can't. Here's hoping the PC port will be good!

Theorry

ARGH, why can't things just be perfect?

When watching the initial gameplay videos, I noted that the graphics looked terrific, but the gameplay bland. Now the gameplay looks absolutely amazing, but the graphics bring Alan Wake to mind in a not-so-good way. Effects are awesome, but there really isn't going around low resolution. (Not saying I didn't think Alan Wake looked great, but those resolution compromises were more OK last gen than this.)

Remedy isn't to blame, though - those special effects look absolutely crucial to the overall feel of the gameplay, and if the Xbox can't run them better, then it just can't. Here's hoping the PC port will be good!

Depends alot on the player in the vids also. The vids from Gamersyde are great because they player uses his powers alot and in a good way. But i have seen also alot of vids before when a player is playing it like a cover shooter. And that looks very boring.

leeh

This is a screen I took after a fight in a library. Insane destructibility, and while fighting and with all the powers and explosions, that's incredible. And this is one of the least impressive fights in the game!

That's not direct feed, mind you. captured via screenshot feature, then streamed to PC and print-screened, so there might be some compression in the stream to PC.

mhfeLPQ.jpg
Is that from the Xbone? That really doesn't look 720p to me.

Holy AF though.

Damn that looks good. I almost feel sorry for the people who are saying they aren't going to play it because there aren't enough p's for their sensitive eyes.

Is that from the Xbone? That really doesn't look 720p to me.

Yes it is. And yeah, playing it it really doesn't look like a 720p game, especially when you stare at some really definite and crisp posters on the walls, where even small letters are perfectly readable without any aliasing.

I'd say it's a mix of resolutions, I don't know... but definitely it doesn't look or feel like a 720p game. There's a huge difference between this and Dead Rising 3 or BF4 on Xbox One. Not talking about visual effects, but overall image quality.

leeh

Yes it is. And yeah, playing it it really doesn't look like a 720p game, especially when you stare at some really definite and crisp posters on the walls, where even small letters are perfectly readable without any aliasing.

I'd say it's a mix of resolutions, I don't know... but definitely it doesn't look or feel like a 720p game. There's a huge difference between this and Dead Rising 3 or BF4 on Xbox One. Not talking about visual effects, but overall image quality.

Thanks for those impressions, I was really disappointed after reading the DF article.

Even on that screenshot, the details in the distance have detail with no aliasing. Are we sure this is 720p? Really doesn't look it at all.

m23

What's your source for the 7 hours statement?

I think the "particles", like the rest of the effects are mostly just postprocessing. Looks good though.
On this matter, I suggest carefully watching the footage from Act 2 coming later this month :)

What's your source for the 7 hours statement?
His ass. I can only talk about Act 1, but it took me 2:30 to complete, including the 20 minutes live TV scene. They're 5 acts total and this isn't the longest one.

Tarnpanzer

This is a screen I took after a fight in a library. Insane destructibility, and while fighting and with all the powers and explosions, that's incredible. And this is one of the least impressive fights in the game!

That's not direct feed, mind you. captured via screenshot feature, then streamed to PC and print-screened, so there might be some compression in the stream to PC.

mhfeLPQ.jpg

And another game with low AF.

(look at the carpet)

This is early stuff too. I just finished the game last night... the debris and amount of graphical effects at once is sometimes just staggering. Just you wait.
Stop your teasing. It's rude!!

It's good to hear. I'll have to check these videos out when I get into work but it being a single player game I am trying to avoid as much as possible.

Top Bottom