• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

They are fun, but as someone who got super creative with Crysis 1 powers, I feel like the time powers aren't clicking with me on cool stuff to do, other than freeze enemies and unload on them.

Anyone want to spark my creativity? I know there has to be potential I'm overlooking.

Depends on if you have all your abilities unlocked.

Grisby

Played for about an hour or something and got past the first few firefights.

Intro was great and I'm already hooked in by the story. Only got a taste of the gunplay, so I can't really comment on that.

Spoilers for first in game tv:
ALAAAAAN Wakeeeeee.
Awesome.

Oh, and that scene where
Jack and Will are slowly crawling through the vents.
Really graphically impressive to me. The time effects and the colors are making for some lovely scenery.

EBE

four chapters in.
its okay so far. nothing stands out as particularly interesting or exciting.
kinda underwhelmed

I spent more time waiting on the disc to install, the episodes to download, and the patch than anything else. Only got about an hour into it, but so far I am digging it.

They are fun, but as someone who got super creative with Crysis 1 powers, I feel like the time powers aren't clicking with me on cool stuff to do, other than freeze enemies and unload on them.

Anyone want to spark my creativity? I know there has to be potential I'm overlooking.

Nah, I had similar thoughts. The game doesn't really challenge you to combine the powers, either, because there aren't any creative enemy types or situations.

hawk2025

I spent more time waiting on the disc to install, the episodes to download, and the patch than anything else. Only got about an hour into it, but so far I am digging it.

I'm sitting here at 37%, just waiting, I'm not even downloading the episodes or anything.

It's infuriating. It's a linear game. Let me start.

While I wait:

Should I play on Hard? How's the difficulty compared to other TPSs?

I'm sitting here at 37%, just waiting, I'm not even downloading the episodes or anything.

It's infuriating. It's a linear game. Let me start.

While I wait:

Should I play on Hard? How's the difficulty compared to other TPSs?

It was fairly easy on Medium, so if you're experienced, Hard shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Spent a lot of time just walking around and entering every room this sequence. Reading all emails.
Screenshot-Original.png

So you don't like the gameplay (too one-note) and you are disappointed with the graphics not being able to outdo its hardware or match your expectations. I doubt it'll pick up for you.

So do you dislike every third-person shooter ? I ask because you can say the same thing about nearly every other shooter or even game out there.

No, TPS is probably my favorite genre. Uncharted, TLOU, and other action adventure games like that are some of my favorite games; but this game just isn't clicking with me. There are certain things in the gameplay that I don't like or maybe just haven't discovered yet, the cover system is kind of hard to use and you can't fire around corners so you have to just run around all over the place, and its frustrating not being able to melee and having to back up and try to shoot, among other things.

And like I said, I don't think the graphics are bad and I don't have a problem with them, but I was under the impression this was supposed to be like a graphical showcase like The Order or The Witcher but honestly the graphics don't stand out in any way to me like I was expecting they would.

Catdaddy

Just finished the first episode. Loving it so far.

Also in a totally unrelated point...NISSANS SURE ARE LOVELY VEHICLES!

They all have Windows phones..wtf is up with the product placement.

The first episode was really good, liked the Alan Wake book just sitting around.

I feel a 24 hr illness coming on *cough cough* may have to call out.

When Remedy said that we should be careful with the environment they were not joking:

giphy.gif

This happened to me while I was recording my Let's Play video hahaha, what do you think?

Nope. I'm not playing any more until they patch this. Fucking garbage. Dips all over the place for no reason and even when it's running well the framepacing feels off. Not to mention the IQ is the worst of any game I've played recently.

A shame because the game seems pretty cool from the short bit I played.

tuna_love

Banned
I took the plunge on pc, I'm not getting drops but the frame pacing makes it kind of annoying. and by kind of I mean really fucking annoying.
980ti
32gb ram
ssd

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So uh, dunno if this has been pointed out but jacks ringtone is the night springs theme...

:eek:

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So. Just there is a Chronon source pickup in a room with a hole in the roof. But can't seem to get on he roof. What am I doing wrong?

Just met up with
The protesting girl from the college, very next area afterward

golem

So. Just there is a Chronon source pickup in a room with a hole in the roof. But can't seem to get on he roof. What am I doing wrong?

Just met up with

Entrance in the next area with the trains

Alienfan

Just met up with

go through the gate first and on the other side there should be a billboard/scaffolding looking thing you can climb. Run along the right on it, and you should be able to drop down on top of the roof

Just finished episode 2. Good shit. I would love for Alan Wake to have something similar to these mini tv episodes. Dunno how they'd implement them though.

There are certain things in the gameplay that I don't like or maybe just haven't discovered yet, the cover system is kind of hard to use and you can't fire around corners so you have to just run around all over the place, and its frustrating not being able to melee and having to back up and try to shoot, among other things.

See that's your problem, you are playing this game the wrong way. This is not a cover based shooter, you can't and shouldn't stay in one place for more than 2 sec. You go into cover just for a quick reload or you need to cooldown your powers. There is plenty of powers and tools to make this game look like a fucking ballet of destruction. The further you get into game the more powers you will have available and that includes rush melee.

Let me give a quick look at the situation I just had, you see plenty of enemies, you always start your fight with time vision to pulse enemies for location. You run towards the first one with time rush and you melee him in the face, now quick time dodge and you shoot the next guy in the head. oh wait two more guys next to him, you throw two times stops if they too far apart and with quick time dodge get close to them to put some bullets in them. Now again quick time dodge to get out of the way and you throw time shield, cause at this point you need a reload. Quick time vision to see where other enemies are and once again you time rush to melee one , some time stops and and few time dodges and maybe couple time rushes with melee, cause they look fucking awesome, or perhaps a time blast if you have some heavy guys around. You can get creative with the tools you have, you can time stop enemies next to explosives and instead of shooting enemies you shot explosives, time stop expires and they go boom while you just doing your thing cause they are no threat to you anymore.

Game is freaking amazing!!!

When Remedy said that we should be careful with the environment they were not joking:

giphy.gif

This happened to me while I was recording my Let's Play video hahaha, what do you think?

lawl!! something like that happened to me, during a firefight an exploded car landed on my head out of nowhere

hawk2025

The graphics are a huge, huge mixed bag (Act 1 only so far).

LOD issues in dozens of signs, surfaces, and textures everywhere, weird and constant ghosting, uneven content all over the place. At the same time, frequently impressive character models, incredible interactivity with little bits and pieces everywhere, and absurdly impressive time effects.

Gameplay is nice and meaty, I love the big and fun impact of the shooting! No shooting from the hip, though, always an annoyance, and I wish they hadn't gone the bog-standard regenerating health route.

Good first impressions overall!

Animator

Holy fuck I thought act 1 was cool but Act 2 is the real deal. Just holy SHIT. The presentation in this game is on a whole new level.

I was skeptical at first but now I don't mind paying the full price on PC anymore.

I'm still trying to figure out how even buy fucking games on the windows store period. I just get greyed out boxes telling me to update windows but my windows update says i am updated and and when i follow the link it tries to make me download windows 10 even though i am on a fully licensed windows 10. I feel like ripping my hair out yelling as loud as i possibly can right now.

I've had this issue. It magically resolved itself, and then Windows decided that it wasn't going to download anything from the Windows Store anymore and started throwing errors up after the first few megabytes downloaded. I never got past this and the internet had no suggestions past "reboot or reset the Store app" so I can't download anything from the Windows Store anymore until it updates. So not only is Quantum break apparently terrible, but I couldn't even download it from the Windows Store if I wanted to.

Between this and the massive pain in the ass that has been my experience with buying a VR headset, I'm pretty done with videogames for a while. Dark Souls has been pretty fun, runs consistently, isn't exclusive to a single, terrible store, and isn't going to take two months to ship to my house so I think I'l just play that for a few years.

charpunk

Just finished. What a super fun game. I actually enjoyed the live action stuff, made me more interested in the characters and the world they were building.

killroy87

Played through Act one, and felt pretty meh about it. The time powers are alright, but it's all just so bland. Everything about this game is just so bland. Take away the flash of the time powers, and I feel like playing through this would be an absolute chore. None of its bad, it's all just very workmanlike.

I hope act two Ickes things up, but I have a feeling my main beefs with this game are pretty deeply rooted in the design.

Animator

Played through Act one, and felt pretty meh about it. The time powers are alright, but it's all just so bland. Everything about this game is just so bland. Take away the flash of the time powers, and I feel like playing through this would be an absolute chore. None of its bad, it's all just very workmanlike.

I hope act two Ickes things up, but I have a feeling my main beefs with this game are pretty deeply rooted in the design.

I think you will change your mind after act 2. Act 1 is pretty much a tutorial act with "here get used to your powers while you beat some trash enemies" act.

Just finished. What a super fun game. I actually enjoyed the live action stuff, made me more interested in the characters and the world they were building.

How long did it take you?

34% installed, still not playable.

C'moooon game.

I just was talking to a friend today and he asked me if I would buy an Xbox 1.5. I told him I wanted two things: smaller and can play a new game like even ten minutes after sticking a disc in. The install times with a physical disc on X1 are atrocious! I'm sitting at 45% right now after an hour and a half. Seriously? I want to play this so bad!

KaoticBlaze

Can you start a new game after finishing and keep all the abilities or do you have to collect everything again?

Unfortunately not, I finished my first playthrough a few hours ago and started a new game thinking id get to keep everything, but it basically erased all my progress and i have to collect everything again. Which i dont mind since i want to make different choices this time around and see how it impacts the show. But it would have been nice to start with all my powers. You can always replay individual missions from the menu if you want to go back and find collectibles you missed without losing all your progress.

So uh, dunno if this has been pointed out but jacks ringtone is the night springs theme...

:eek:

Noticed it right away and a huge fucking grin splashed across my face

Just finished/watched Act 1 and I'm loving it. Especially appreciate how much world/narrative building they put into it, esp with the episodes. Honestly didn't think they would take it this far.

malfcn

On Act 3, why did
Beth
need a
belt
in the
stutter
, but
Dr. Amaral
didn't after being
touched by Jack?

Unfortunately not, I finished my first playthrough a few hours ago and started a new game thinking id get to keep everything, but it basically erased all my progress and i have to collect everything again. Which i dont mind since i want to make different choices this time around and see how it impacts the show. But it would have been nice to start with all my powers. You can always replay individual missions from the menu if you want to go back and find collectibles you missed without losing all your progress.
Just use the timeline to start from the first act, it is the same as a NG+, you get to keep all your upgrades and collectibles.

On Act 3, why did
Beth
need a
belt
in the
stutter
, but
Dr. Amaral
didn't after being
touched by Jack?

A chronon sensitive individual like Jack can free people from a stutter, provided that person also had previously contacted chronons in one way or another (in this case Dr. Amaral definitely did because of her chronon research), it was explained in act 1 if you try to free Amy Ferrero.

derFeef

Is it me or is in the first junction point preview for hardline
neogaf with the dark theme opened on one of the computers?

Top Bottom