• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

GHG

Welp

How bad are we talking here guys. Rendering issues aside, is performance at least solid?

Depends on your setup. Do you have enough power to brute force it? We have guys with 770's who have posted here saying they are struggling even on low at "1080p"
720p internal

theultimo

I think that Remedy will patch in an option of disabling it eventually. Shouldn't be too much work for them and even if it for some reason is - Remedy knows better than to leave the PC version in it's current state.
I doubt that - if this is a rushed port being used as the pinnacle of UWP, when the sales bomb hard it will never be fixed

I mean we can bitch about MS or UWP all we want for different reasons but in this case it seems like Remedy just really dropped the ball with this port.

UWP restrictions don't make it better for sure but there seems to be way more problems with this game than just those.

This. at least in my opinion but without knowing everything its hard to say .I guess I can assume MS forced Remedy to make the port last minuted causing bad performance

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not only UWP, back when Dead Rising 3 came out, it was really really hard to run it at 60fps.

There's something about Xbox One exclusives that make them incredibly hard to run at 60, but reasonable at 30. Even KI being an exception matches this, since it's already 60 on console.
Depends on who ports the game, I'd say. Ryse is fantastic on the PC, for instance, and was easily the best looking Xbox One game at launch (yet it ran at an unstable 30fps).

This had nothing to do with UWA though. Again the only UWA related issue was that a third party couldn't fix it and that any patch from the devs would take a little longer because it has to go through certification. The issue was entirely poor testing from the devs, and a bug they caused. Nothing about UWA caused the problem.

Yes but UWA prevented easy fixes and possible permanent fixes.

Kezen

Banned
Not only UWP, back when Dead Rising 3 came out, it was really really hard to run it at 60fps.

There's something about Xbox One exclusives that make them incredibly hard to run at 60, but reasonable at 30. Even KI being an exception matches this, since it's already 60 on console.

DR3 is 720p on Xbox One, not surprising that native 1080p/60fps is demanding.
But this is not the case here when upscaled 1080p (same as XBO) proves more demanding than it should.

Depends on your setup. Do you have enough power to brute force it? We have guys with 770's who have posted here saying they are struggling even on low at "1080p"
720p internal

Probably, I just built a new one a few months ago

I5-4460, gtx 980, 16 GB RAM

I think I might just wait for a few patches though. I really don't want technical problems to sour my experience

GHG

Depends on who ports the game, I'd say. Ryse is fantastic on the PC, for instance, and was easily the best looking Xbox One game at launch (yet it ran at an unstable 30fps).

Yeh I was going to say the Ryse PC port was very good and performed well across a wide range of hardware. But then that was a cryengine game so it's to be expected.

ramshot

Reseting nvidia 3D settings solved it. I have no idea which one of my settings was at fault, but it might be worth a penny to someone at some point to know that you might have to try out with the defaults. I have a gsync monitor just in case that matters.

FPS at 1440p seems below 60. Now for the time taking bit... finding the right settings. Lucky for me I enjoy that part!

Ok, final update: Gsync does not act nice with this game. The problem came back after a restart of the game and I almost flipped my shit. Then I figured I'd try to flat out disable gsync, and behold, now it's been fine for several restarts.

Performance seems fine at 1440p / Ultra with a 980Ti. The Ultra setting leaves shadow resolution and something else at High though, and settings those to Ultra ends up with me way below 60fps.

VRAM usage goes up/down when changing resolutions, so I'd say that at least it's not an upscale from a static resolution. It does look a bit blurry though, even at 1440p, so I'm going to guess that the theory posted by someone already about it being an upscale from a some fraction of your selected resolution is correct.

There is some input lag that might disturb people used to Gsync/144hz, but nothing too bad. Seems playable.

So, all in all, there are problems, but when it works, it works OK... at least for me.

Finally, someone asked for AA ON vs AA OFF screenshots. So here you are:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~ramshot/QB_AA_OFF.png
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~ramshot/QB_AA_ON.png

Personally, I can't even see a difference, not in those shots or in-game, so I'm going to leave it off...

dr_rus

I doubt that - if this is a rushed port being used as the pinnacle of UWP, when the sales bomb hard it will never be fixed

Sales on XBO will be fine and Remedy will definitely patch the XBO version a couple of times at least and they will be able to use this to patch the PC version as well. I have faith in them =)

Vitor711

Yeh I was going to say the Ryse PC port was very good and performed well across a wide range of hardware. But then that was a cryengine game so it's to be expected.

It's clearly a push for UWP - they're releasing these games way too early. Ryse came out what, 6 months to a year after original release?

GeoW, QB - clearly should have been delayed and had more effort put in. I'm so disappointed as those two were games I wanted. I only ended up with QB on PC due to their crossbuy offer but imagine I'll just play it on Xbox until sh*t is fixed.

aeolist

Banned
Ok, final update: Gsync does not act nice with this game. The problem came back after a restart of the game and I almost flipped my shit. Then I figured I'd try to flat out disable gsync, and behold, now it's been fine for several restarts.

Performance seems fine at 1440p / Ultra with a 980Ti. The Ultra setting leaves shadow resolution and something else at High though, and settings those to Ultra ends up with me way below 60fps.

VRAM usage goes up/down when changing resolutions, so I'd say that at least it's not an upscale from a static resolution. It does look a bit blurry though, even at 1440p, so I'm going to guess that the theory posted by someone already about it being an upscale from a some fraction of your selected resolution is correct.

There is some input lag that might disturb people used to Gsync/144hz, but nothing too bad. Seems playable.

So, all in all, there are problems, but when it works, it works OK... at least for me.

Personally, I can't even see a difference, not in those shots or in-game, so I'm going to leave it off...

some of the edges show a difference but it's hard to see with that crazy blur

Right. That's what people are doing with DSR, essentially so there is still an option. But it's possible an injector could do something a bit less brute force.

I hate to be this guy, but anyone want to explain how DSR can be used to increase the native resolution, to someone who hasn't been following this thread closely? I've read through the last three pages and don't understand what people are doing.

btags

It's clearly a push for UWP - they're releasing these games way too early. Ryse came out what, 6 months to a year after original release?

GeoW, QB - clearly should have been delayed and had more effort put in. I'm so disappointed as those two were games I wanted. I only ended up with QB on PC due to their crossbuy offer but imagine I'll just play it on Xbox until sh*t is fixed.

These games should have been delayed, but MS doing that would then result in people saying "guess MS does not care about pc." A delayed game is better than a hatily released botched port, but I think microsoft would lose either way.

Nokterian

From the results we're getting it can be assumed that the game is using the same resolution reconstruction technique as on XBO. Thus when you select 1080p in game's settings what you're really getting is 720p+MSAA4x reconstructed into 1080p by a shader program. If you select 1440p you're getting something akin to 1707x960+MSAA4x reconstructed into 2560x1440 and if you're selecting 4K you're getting 2560x1440+MSAA4x reconstructed into 3840x2160.

giphy.gif

And yet i am not shocked by this at all. What a terrible terrible port goddamn thanks to the glorious UWP what a fucking mess.

Trup1aya

I think that Remedy will patch in an option of disabling it eventually. Shouldn't be too much work for them and even if it for some reason is - Remedy knows better than to leave the PC version in it's current state.

Time constraints? Microsoft's policy? Misguided trust in the benefits of resolution reconstruction on PC as well? Who knows.

Ok, when you said it was trivial, I'm thinking you mean something where time isn't an issue.

I can't imagine a scenario where this would be a policy issue.

And I'm sure remedy is aware than any form of upscale is less than ideal when compared to a native solution.

So I guess there is hope that remedy will fix this.

aeolist

Banned
I hate to be this guy, but anyone want to explain how DSR can be used to increase the native resolution, to someone who hasn't been following this thread closely? I've read through the last three pages and don't understand what people are doing.

dsr is rendering at a high internal resolution then downscaling for AA purposes. since the engine apparently renders at sub-native res you can use DSR to basically force it to match the native resolution of your screen.

From the results we're getting it can be assumed that the game is using the same resolution reconstruction technique as on XBO. Thus when you select 1080p in game's settings what you're really getting is 720p+MSAA4x reconstructed into 1080p by a shader program. If you select 1440p you're getting something akin to 1707x960+MSAA4x reconstructed into 2560x1440 and if you're selecting 4K you're getting 2560x1440+MSAA4x reconstructed into 3840x2160.

holy. shit.

I dunno, those shots look decently sharp from a resolution standpoint to me. I'm so torn. I really want to play this game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How are people even getting the PC version to test the game out? Someone screen capped a conversation with MS support saying the codes would be handed out 7-12 days from now.

LordRaptor

rushed port

port last minute

Remedy actually had time to fine-tune AW for PC. Apples and Oranges.

It's clearly a push for UWP - they're releasing these games way too early

These games should have been delayed

I would not blame UWP for a rushed port.

I mean, if this was rushed, then

Sam Lake said:

they really shouldn't be giving interviews about how its been finished for ages and they're just polishing

derFeef

How are people even getting the PC version to test the game out? Someone screen capped a conversation with MS support saying the codes would be handed out 7-12 days from now.

That's codes for the preorder thing, you can buy it on the store now.

they really shouldn't be giving interviews about how its been finished for ages and they're just polishing

Not PC. that decision came a little late.

Those are for the thing where you get the xb1 version and then get a pc key as well. I think.

Trup1aya

I would blame the UWP initiative for this rushed port.

Not necessarily the issue of UWP
Per SE, but the Microsoft management bungling things

Hmm, the UWP initiative would have been better served by delaying this game on PC. even if MS wasn't trying to usher in a universal API, this port would have been a bad one. Management is an issue here, but I don't see how UWP has anything to do with it.

so much for "UWA will prevent shoddy ports" uh

Won't prevent shoddy ports. It amplifies the penalty of a shoddy port, because the dev can't be saved by on userfixes.

Looks to me like he's talking about the Xbox version. That version was delayed before the PC version was even announced.

dr_rus

You can buy it directly in the Win 10 Store.

So 1080p is actually 720p on PC too, right?

720p + MSAA 4x + custom upscaling/reconstructing shader. It isn't as simple as just 720p but it's definitely not on a native res quality either.

aeolist

Banned
KI is a totally fine. Have not played the other ones.
I question Remedy here and there PC pedigree, I was counting on them to make it right.

KI game logic is tied to the desktop refresh rate. it is unplayable at anything other than 60hz.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So if you select 1080p it doesn't render at 1080p. What kind of nonsense is that?

aeolist

Banned
Tomb Raider seemed fine from the folks I know who played it.

Definitely not on this level

i was actually just trying to go through the list of xbox -> pc ports on the windows store and RotTR is the only one i could think of that didn't have some kind of weird major issue. performance on the dx11 version is worse than the win32 release but on dx12 they're about the same i think.

SomTervo

It would be great to have a clear, simple answer on whether the game is worth buying for people who aren't fussed about 4k, about 60FPS or about any high end aliasing etc.

Can i play the game?

Does it run OK?

Without a GSync monitor?

Can i play the whole thing start to finish?

Does it hit 20FPS or below at any stage?

I know it's different for every set up, but too much of this thread is sheer tech gobbledigook. Obviously it warrants that discussion, but some of us just want the bare facts.

I'm not really fussed about 1080p+ and 30FPS+ performance and want to know if the game is worth getting on THAT basis.

Top Bottom