• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

dsr is rendering at a high internal resolution then downscaling for AA purposes. since the engine apparently renders at sub-native res you can use DSR to basically force it to match the native resolution of your screen.

Ah, thank you! That sounds terribly inefficient though, since the game is clearly doing some intense post-processing at the higher resolution.

derFeef

well yeah but i would still say that's not "totally fine" especially since people with 4k 30hz screens can't play the game no matter what

Who would play any game with a 30hz monitor anyway... but we had that discussion in the other thread.

well yeah but i would still say that's not "totally fine" especially since people with 4k 30hz screens can't play the game no matter what

Couldn't people with 4k 30hz screen force disable Vsync via the Inspector on NV cards?

Since the 60fps cap workaround works through NV inspector... I imagine that might as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I wonder if MS will refund my XB1 version and get me the PC one

edit: damn my account sharebro would lose access. fuck it ill ride out this XB1 version

Gbraga

It would be great to have a clear, simple answer on whether the game is worth buying for people who aren't fussed about 4k, about 60FPS or about any high end aliasing etc.

Can i play the game?

Does it run OK?

Without a GSync monitor?

Can i play the whole thing start to finish?

Does it hit 20FPS or below at any stage?

I know it's different for every set up, but too much of this thread is sheer tech gobbledigook. Obviously it warrants that discussion, but some of us just want the bare facts.

I'm not really fussed about 1080p+ and 30FPS+ performance and want to know if the game is worth getting on THAT basis.

Not if you have a 770, apparently.

Trup1aya

Yes, but traditional PR speak is about how they're hard at work on the other platform, not that they're basically kicking back and tinkering + polishing.
This interview was made after the PC version was announced.

Right, but you have no idea when the PC porting process began. Was it immediately after QB was delayed? Was it shortly before the announcement? Was it prior to the delay?

We don't know. You are adding context where there is none. its clear that this port could have used more time, yet it was released in this state.

So if you read that article and walk away with the notion that he's claiming he's been "polishing" the PC version since before the holidays, and Sam Lake is a big fat liar, then that's on you.

It's pretty clear that he was talking about the delay of the Xbox one version of the game, and what kind of work they were doing on that version since the delay.

I mean, it's the exact same comment he made in April 2015, when the Xbox version is all we knew about.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I wonder if MS will refund my XB1 version and get me the PC one

edit: damn my account sharebro would lose access. fuck it ill ride out this XB1 version

They don't do refunds after release. And why didn't you preorder for the free PC code in the first place?

harSon

Banned
The game ran well for me on a i5-4690K, gtx 970 and 16gb ram... Played fine at 1080p, and looked decent enough at 1440p too. I'll take some screenshots when I get home.

ZOONAMI

I'm still interested to see what happens at 4K resolutions. I'm holding out hope that the internal resolution before reconstruction is based on a factor of your resolution and not hard coded at 720p.

Once I get my free game code I will test it out at 4k on pc.

prag16

Banned
Skipped over several pages here, can't catch up; Has anybody tried with a 970 yet? As long as it can maintain 30fps at 1080p on high-ish (or whatever facsimile of 1080p they're using) I'm okay. Not "thrilled". But "okay".

The game ran well for me on a i5-4690K, gtx 970 and 16gb ram... Looked decent enough at 1440p too. I'll take some screenshots when I get home.

Ninja'd by this guy. Interesting, and on 1440p at that. My CPU is only a 2550k, but this bodes well if it's a representative example.

dr_rus

Couldn't people with 4k 30hz screen force disable Vsync via the Inspector on NV cards?

Since the 60fps cap workaround works through NV inspector... I imagine that might as well.

NV's vsync override doesn't work in DWM surfaces (borderless windowed as well as simple windowed) I believe. It didn't work for me when I tried it in GearsUE at least. There's no way of disabling vsync in UWP at the moment basically, MS has promised to patch in the support for vsync off in May.

hwalker84

At launch at least (don't know if it's better now), the game logic was tied to your monitors refresh rate so you had to change it every time you booted up the game and people with 30hz monitors were SOL
What does that have to do with UWP? That's a mistake of Iron Galaxy not UWP.

Blobbers

Every single screenshot posted here looks blurry, even the 4K ones. Fallout 4 had that neat sweetFX fix where you can do a tiny tweak and it makes the game looks sharper. I hope you can do the same with Quantum Break. Although, now that I think about it, Fallout 4's problem was the AA solution they used.

SomTervo

If I remember right a GTX 960 is probably only as fast or slightly slower than a GTX 770 and if you have a 2GB model, well, you're still fucked.

Well shit. Being a relative layman I thought my 960 would be more powerful than the 770. I mean, it has a higher number, right?
Right?

I have a 4GB model, for reference. Other specs are 95 4690k and 16GB RAM.

sertopico

Every single screenshot posted here looks blurry, even the 4K ones. Fallout 4 had that neat sweetFX fix where you can do a tiny tweak and it makes the game looks sharper. I hope you can do the same with Quantum Break. Although, now that I think about it, Fallout 4's problem was the AA solution they used.

Forget SweetFX, the UWA does not allow that for now. :(

I blame it on UWP it still shows how awful it is with Tomb Raider,KI,GoW and now this. And a rushed port? Well it is microsoft so committed to pc gaming..sorry i am laughing way to hard at this.

What performance issues TR had? The only reports from performance I've seen pointed to it performing better than the win32 version (save for sli performance).

From the results we're getting it can be assumed that the game is using the same resolution reconstruction technique as on XBO. Thus when you select 1080p in game's settings what you're really getting is 720p+MSAA4x reconstructed into 1080p by a shader program. If you select 1440p you're getting something akin to 1707x960+MSAA4x reconstructed into 2560x1440 and if you're selecting 4K you're getting 2560x1440+MSAA4x reconstructed into 3840x2160.

this-cannot-be-real.gif

what the actual fuck were they thinking??
Remember when Max Payne 2 was one of the best looking games of 2004 and ran on a toaster?? Or when Alan Wake ran at 1080p60 on any midrange card? Oh Remedy.. :(

This (they keeping the reconstruct tech) has nothing to do with shobby port. That's simply the design choice Remedy made. They have been advocating for games being oversampled before this gen started and that they would pursue less, but more expensive pixels. The reconstruct tech is just the delivery on their vision, enabling the resolution to go down without compromising the smooth look (which is again by design, as clearly noticeable even from the first game showings in 2013).

Also AW came when 360 was already a generation behind compared to the pc Market, this is a game that has some very novelty techs, specially for lighting and that's rendering in 720p and 30fps on xbone, and not even completely locked either, as there's some minor tearing, it was bound to be a heavy game, for god's sake they keep a gbuffer and a voxel representation of the scene at the same time for delivering all their effects (and most likely the resolution of both go higher with the output resolution).

In short, the game is doing much more than many others visually, so it being quite heavy is expected.

I'm curious, did they ever fix the Gears of War problems? Does the game still take an arm and a leg to run?

I think Gears runs pretty well now. Could be better, but it's acceptable. I can run it at 4K maxed with a ~50 FPS average on my 4790k / 980Ti / 16GB RAM rig.

ZOONAMI

Well shit. Being a relative layman I thought my 960 would be more powerful than the 770. I mean, it has a higher number, right?
Right?

I have a 4GB model, for reference. Other specs are 95 4690k and 16GB RAM.

When did you get the 960? Amd basically destroys nvidia in that price bracket with the 380/380x.

KI is a totally fine. Have not played the other ones.
I question Remedy here and there PC pedigree, I was counting on them to make it right.

Microsoft is the publisher of the game, they have the final say in this. If they didn't give Remedy enough time and/or resources to port this game in a proper manner, then it's hard to blame Remedy. They've shown on more than one occasion that they're more than capable of putting out a well working PC Version of a game.

While I don't think they found out about PC version at the same time as everyone else did, I seems clear that it wasn't the plan all along.

harSon

Banned
Skipped over several pages here, can't catch up; Has anybody tried with a 970 yet? As long as it can maintain 30fps at 1080p on high-ish (or whatever facsimile of 1080p they're using) I'm okay. Not "thrilled". But "okay".

Ninja'd by this guy. Interesting, and on 1440p at that. My CPU is only a 2550k, but this bodes well if it's a representative example.

I'm actually playing at 1080p. I bumped it up to 1440p just to see what the game looked like, but 1080p is definitely the resolution you're going to want to play at.

ViviOggi

i was actually just trying to go through the list of xbox -> pc ports on the windows store and RotTR is the only one i could think of that didn't have some kind of weird major issue. performance on the dx11 version is worse than the win32 release but on dx12 they're about the same i think.
It's not completely busted but the Win32 version still has the edge as it allows you to inject proper SMAA

SomTervo

When did you get the 960? Amd basically destroys nvidia in that price bracket with the 380/380x.

Got it from eBuyer. Wasn't that expensive. A tech-savvy friend put together the shopping list for me.

I'll be buying one of the new GPUs, possibly on launch, in the coming months, anyway.

Reconstruction has no business in a PC game. At the very least it should be togglable.

But it's the vision Remedy had for the game, should they change it just because they released on PC?

Keep in mind that they released a 720p 30fps in 2016 on xbone, so it's not like that is Pc only, they simply had a vision for the game and decided to go with it.

The game has already a very cgish look on xbone, I can only assume cranking up the res on Pc it's only going to look better. It's not the most sharp looking game at all, but it does a heck of an job coming close to the filmic look they went for.

Blobbers

But it's the vision Remedy had for the game, should they change it just because they released on PC?

Keep in mind that they released a 720p 30fps in 2016 on xbone, so it's not like that is Pc only, they simply had a vision for the game and decided to go with it.

The game has already a very cgish look on xbone, I can only assume cranking up the res on Pc it's only going to look better. It's not the most sharp looking game at all, but it does a heck of an job coming close to the filmic look they went for.

On PC, I reject your vision and substitute my own . If your game ships blurry and with black bars, you better believe I'm modding that shit out asap *cough the evil within*

Reconstruction has no business in a PC game. At the very least it should be togglable.

I wouldn't mind if it was a toggle. If I could set it to reconstructed 1440 and get a better picture than 1080 with out a huge performamce hit. I wonder how big of a hit the reconstruction is on VRAM. Like does a 1080 screen built from four 720 screens take more space, if so is it a lot more? I only have 2GB of VRAM atm so....

Honestly, I don't mean to be harsh but someone who bought a 30 hz screen made a really bad purchasing decision and I don't think that bad decision should result in everyone else getting a potentially worse experience.

aeolist

Banned
It's not completely busted but the Win32 version still has the edge as it allows you to inject proper SMAA

obviously the win32 modding advantage will persist no matter what, i was just trying to think of major UWP games that worked correctly with no major issues given the limitations of the platform. as far as i can remember tomb raider is the only one, and coincidentally it's the only one that also has a win32 version.

It would be great to have a clear, simple answer on whether the game is worth buying for people who aren't fussed about 4k, about 60FPS or about any high end aliasing etc.

Can i play the game?

I'm not really fussed about 1080p+ and 30FPS+ performance and want to know if the game is worth getting on THAT basis.

Do you have a XB1? You should be good if you do.

Pjsprojects

Can i play the game?

Does it run OK?

Without a GSync monitor?

Can i play the whole thing start to finish?

Does it hit 20FPS or below at any stage?

I know it's different for every set up, but too much of this thread is sheer tech gobbledigook. Obviously it warrants that discussion, but some of us just want the bare facts.

Maybe it's worth a thought that at least gamers without an Xbox one can play the game even if it means running it exactly the same as the console version.

I await my code from a mate who pre ordered the X1 version. EBay will be flooded with cheap Win 10 codes.

SimplexPL

I'm curious what res is the game upscaled from when you play in native 720p. 320x180? 640x360? 848x480? 960x540? (that's native Alan Wake res on 360) :D

Right?

Sorry to dissapoint, but 960 is a really weak and overpriced card - it's barely faster than 760 and actually SLOWER than 770 (or on par wit it), if I am not mistaken. And the minspec for this game is 760, and according to MS, at min spec you will be able to play at 720p30 in low detail:

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/handson-preview-quantum-break said:
Performance for Quantum Break on Windows 10 will vary based on each user’s hardware set-up. Generally, minimum specs represent the level of hardware required to run the game at 720p/30fps on lowered graphic settings. Recommended specs will run the game at 1080p/60fps with optimised graphic settings, and ultra specs represent what is required to run the game at 1080p/60fps with maximum graphic settings enabled.
So, people with i7 6700K and 980Ti like Yours Truly should expec 1080p60 at max settings. I think this does not seem to be the case, but at least we have a source that we can quote.

Top Bottom