• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

The frame-rate is likely to drive you crazy no matter, especially if you are perceptible to to it, as the frame pacing cannot be corrected until it's fixed.

Well, that's the weird thing--except for extreme circumstances, I only notice frame-pacing when I bear responsibility for it--aka, on PC, when there are graphics settings I can adjust. On consoles I'm generally able to ignore it, even in games where it's known to be bad according to Digital Foundry.

I guess I should just leave everything on medium.

Finally started up the game... well, I wasn't expecting this.

Y'know how everyone complains that you can't turn off V-Sync?

I'm getting really bad screen tearing.

WTF?

tioslash

I´ve been reading a bit about the performance issues this game had on PC, but holy shit...tried playing today for the first time.

To me at least it is completely unplayable, regardless of settings. The stuttering, frame pacing issue is pretty much the worst I´ve ever experienced in any game, at least as far as I can remember.

That on a GTX970.

Managed to fix V-Sync by changing nVidia Control Panel's global profile from "Adaptive" to "On".

Incidentally, if anyone wants to turn off Vsync, try doing the opposite.

SimplexPL

Managed to fix V-Sync by changing nVidia Control Panel's global profile from "Adaptive" to "On".

Incidentally, if anyone wants to turn off Vsync, try doing the opposite.

When you had tearing on adaptive, was your framerate actually above a refresh rate, or did you just got "teared vsync"?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Anyone found the sweet spot for settings on 970's?

Right now playing at 1440p and all medium.

Definitely looks crisper than the 1080p setting from the XBO.

Hoping I can run the settings on at least better than XBO.

Anyone know what settings approx the XBO uses?

XBO seems to be running on medium settings judging by various videos and reviews.

LostDonkey

Can't play more than 5 minutes without the driver crashing and recovering....ugh.

Guess I'll carry on with the Xbox game and revisit the PC at a later date.

It does look miles cleaner on the PC though.

mix of medium and high i think. shadows and volumetric light settings are for sure medium. other than those 2 settings i dont think theres even enough of a difference to matter going above medium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVtvFwbOsqA

LostDonkey

Remedy is recommending the 362.00 version in their status update.

Graphics Drivers:
We recommend, for AMD Radeon GPU’s, AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1

We recommend, for NVIDIA GPU’s, 362.00 from NVIDIA.

Keep in mind, these drivers might have an impact on other software on your computer.

http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/261576-quantum-break-status-update

Thanks. I'll give it a read now.

Not really digging the impacting other software bit though....

sertopico

Can't play more than 5 minutes without the driver crashing and recovering....ugh.

Guess I'll carry on with the Xbox game and revisit the PC at a later date.

It does look miles cleaner on the PC though.

Check if every component of your PC is stable. The video driver crashing issue is not always directly related to the GPU, could be RAM and/or CPU as well.

I've been using the latest WHQL first and the Vulkan dev driver after and I never experienced any crash whatsoever, actually this is the only positive note about this porting.

Perhaps I am less observant than some, but I have a 970, and all settings on High at 1080p. I've only played Act 1, but gameplay always feels smooth. I have an i7 6700K, too, if that makes a difference.

Is anyone having choppy streaming with the live action stuff? My internet is good enough to stream internet video just fine. I can't download the episodes either on the PC version to skip around the streaming.

Super lame

dr_rus

When you had tearing on adaptive, was your framerate actually above a refresh rate, or did you just got "teared vsync"?

You can't get above the refresh rate with adaptive vsync. As soon as you'll reach it the vsync will turn on and limit you to the refresh rate.

But yeah, it does work - vsync is being turned off if you use adaptive for the game's profile. Not that it helps much with the stuttering and lag.

holygeesus

Banned
Strange. What's your spec?

I'm fine running absolutely anything else on this machine but QB.

3570K@4.5
16gb ddr3 @1600
gtx 970ftw
win 10 pro

16GB DDR4
980ti (OC)
Win 10 Pro

Don't get me wrong, the game runs like a dog on my machine, but I've not had a single crash. Is it definitely a driver crash? Could it be your overclocked CPU?

LostDonkey

16GB DDR4
980ti (OC)
Win 10 Pro

Don't get me wrong, the game runs like a dog on my machine, but I've not had a single crash. Is it definitely a driver crash? Could it be your overclocked CPU?

Yeah it's an Nvidia warning in the bottom right of the screen. Driver has crashed and recovered etc. I've just rolled back to 362.00 so gonna give it a whirl see if it's any better.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: Nope, that was an even faster crash on 362.00. Display driver has stopped responding...windows kernel 362.00 has encountered an error. This is literally the only game out of about 100 or so I have on this rig that I'm having problems with.

Oh well. Gonna carry on with the Xbox and wait for the patch etc

LostDonkey

Quick update, I'm playing the bridge section.

Just read on a nvidia forum post about disabling HD audio (I've had problems with it before not recognising my mic during streams and had to turn it off).

What dya know.....no crash yet!!!!!

Wtf

Game is running very smooth on ultra preset with 30fps lock.

Edit: Update 2- just completed the first firefight at the pier, no problems at all now.

Game looks great too.

SomTervo

I´ve been reading a bit about the performance issues this game had on PC, but holy shit...tried playing today for the first time.

To me at least it is completely unplayable, regardless of settings. The stuttering, frame pacing issue is pretty much the worst I´ve ever experienced in any game, at least as far as I can remember.

That on a GTX970.

Just so weird.

I'm playing on a GTX 960, 4GB and it's totally fine. Smooth, even. Stutters maybe once every half hour.

Admittedly, I'm running it on mostly Medium at 1280 x 720. But it still looks fucking great 95% of the time, especially during gameplay. I don't really care.

Just so weird.

I'm playing on a GTX 960, 4GB and it's totally fine. Smooth, even. Stutters maybe once every half hour.

Admittedly, I'm running it on mostly Medium at 1280 x 720. But it still looks fucking great 95% of the time, especially during gameplay. I don't really care.

my eyes hurt just thinking about playing at a reconstructed SD resolution

SomTervo

my eyes hurt just thinking about playing at a reconstructed SD resolution

A couple of things:

1. It actually looks fine most of the time. There are moments when an INSANE bunch of jaggies appear. But aside from that I can't really see them and the game runs well and looks great.

2. I'm playing fairly far away from the screen atm, and it's a weird screen. The resolution got bumped down because I'm on my fairly cheap living room TV. Playing on my PC monitor it was higher res and HD and it looked good + ran well too.

3. IMO resolution is in the eye of the beholder. It's relative. Just like people who get used to fast/heavy music get used to high BPMs and loud volumes - if you play only at high resolutions, you get used to those high resolutions. In my experience, play a game at 600 x 800 for four hours and you'll forget that it's even 600 x 800. You'll just be playing a game. Sure, when you go back up to 1440 you'll be like "fuck this looks good", but once you get over the system shock of low res, it's only a couple of hours before you attune to it.

A couple of things:

1. It actually looks fine most of the time. There are moments when an INSANE bunch of jaggies appear. But aside from that I can't really see them and the game runs well and looks great.

2. I'm playing fairly far away from the screen atm, and it's a weird screen. The resolution got bumped down because I'm on my fairly cheap living room TV. Playing on my PC monitor it was higher res and HD and it looked good + ran well too.

3. IMO resolution is in the eye of the beholder. It's relative. Just like people who get used to fast/heavy music get used to high BPMs and loud volumes - if you play only at high resolutions, you get used to those high resolutions. In my experience, play a game at 600 x 800 for four hours and you'll forget that it's even 600 x 800. You'll just be playing a game. Sure, when you go back up to 1440 you'll be like "fuck this looks good", but once you get over the system shock of low res, it's only a couple of hours before you attune to it.

im not one of the pc guys who places more importance than necessary on high resolution, but you have to be pretty close to 640x480. just too low for me.

sertopico

A couple of things:

snip
This is true but it's like getting used to eat sh*t sandwiches. I would understand this kind of thought if the only option we have would be using a low res, but in this case we are just in front of a bad port which needs to be fixed. I have a 2k monitor and yes, I got used to this weird res only because I love the game, but from an objective point of view it doesn't make things better, IMO.

GHG

Just so weird.

Whats with people running this game at sub HD resolutions at medium settings and then proclaiming that the game is "fine"?

I just don't get it.

GHG

Because the game looks fucking great. Play it yourself and find out.

If you want to send me a code for free then I'd be more than happy to try it out and see if it plays "fine" on my 980ti at medium settings while the game is internally rendering at resolutions less than 720p.

The game's framerate is abysmal for me. I'm getting anywhere from 5-7 FPS and I havent even gotten past the games opening seconds. I disabled gsync and actually am just playing it on a regular LED TV and still having issues. What could be causing the issues?

i5 2500k 4.2ghz (O.C)
Titan X
8GB Ram
120 GB Samsung PRO SSD

shandy706

If you want to send me a code for free then I'd be more than happy to try it out and see if it plays "fine" on my 980ti at medium settings while the game is internally rendering at resolutions less than 720p.

Haha, this game probably "looks great" no matter what res you run it at.

I'd say it depends on how blurry you like your image though. I mean...it probably looks incredible on a old Tube TV....but that's just due to it being a well built/detail/well lit world.

However, if your "looks great" is heavily influenced by resolution...well.."looks great" is no longer going to be a person's impression.

I played the game on my HD Projector at my brother's house last weekend. Lugged my X1 over there along with my projector. We threw it onto a wall with a sheet, lol. It wasn't exactly optimum image quality...but the game looked amazing at 200" (despite low pixel density).

holygeesus

Banned

I'm playing it myself and it doesn't look great. At all. You can throw as many effects in there as you like, but when the overall IQ is this poor they are lost.

Edit - and that is playing it at Ultra settings too. Saying it looks 'fine' at anything lower? I don't get it. I guess it depends on your definition of fine, but how people (the same people) seem to defend this game, despite all the evidence to the contrary, amazes me.

Just so weird.

I have a 970, and running on High at 1920x1080, but I feel like everything you've said so far, I agree with, and has been in line with my experience, too. My gameplay has been very smooth.

If I can play on High with my 970, your 980ti is going to be no problem.

LostDonkey

So I set windows to display at 1080/30hz (4k TV), Right click desktop, display properties, advanced properties.

What a difference in response while using the in game 30fps cap. Much better feel to the game now, it doesn't allow me to select 30hz on my monitor so didn't know you could do that.

charpunk

Finally got around to redeeming my code, and I can't even start the game. I see a splash screen for a split second and it immediately closes. Running i7-4790k, 16gb ram, gtx 970.

K' Dash

I started this but see a lot of stutter in game and in game cutscenes, then Nvidia drivers crashed, is this normal? I just wanted to see the beginning and go back to dark souls... I couldn't even do that :/

I started this but see a lot of stutter in game and in game cutscenes, then Nvidia drivers crashed, is this normal? I just wanted to see the beginning and go back to dark souls... I couldn't even do that :/

Remedy is saying to rollback your video card driver to an earlier (better?) version 362.00 if you are experiencing driver crashes.

Top Bottom