• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

Corpekata

Banned
To be fair, most people probably expect it to be a setting in the store itself like Steam or Origin, every other digital game marketplace on PC. With Windows apps you have to leave the store altogether and open Windows settings. It's not intuitive at all... I only found out because I expanded and read all the small text at the bottom Quantum Break page of the store.

Not my first computer, but first time using Windows Store's wonky interface. I don't typically use Windows apps at all... I doubt most people do.

It also doesn't help that Windows 10 didn't actually let you change this until a couple months in. It made my interest in the Fable Legends beta evaporate really quick when I figured out I needed to dedicate the space on my SSD to it.

I don't even get a consistent 60fps at 1080p Medium settings with screen space reflections off. I've got an i7-6700k & a GTX980Ti. What are you guys setting it to?

Is that with Upscaling off or on?

Wait..People seriously don't know how to change the install location for your apps?

Is this your first computer?

Half the time all this ranting about Windows and the store is user error.

Go to settings, System and then Storage and choose your location for your apps.

It's not difficult people, come on.

And how, exactly, would previous computer experience make me think to do this? On the contrary, previous experience would tell me to search in the Windows Store application. Or, I'd expect Quantum Break's (nonexistant) installer to prompt me for my preferred install location. Never before has moving data between hard disks involved going into your computer's settings.

One of the problems with Microsoft's recent Windows pushes is that it completely ignores existing user interface paradigms. That's not necessarily a bad thing—imagine if the iPhone had tried to copy OSX's UI—but it mean that the onus is on Microsoft to teach people the new way of doing things.

I don't even get a consistent 60fps at 1080p Medium settings with screen space reflections off. I've got an i7-6700k & a GTX980Ti. What are you guys setting it to?

Make sure upscaling is set to on. With it off, I can't get consistent 60 fps on my 980 ti, either.

LostDonkey

I have noticed one funny thing. I can't stream via shadowplay since the patch.

In game streaming doesn't work at all, and desktop capture will cease to function once the app is active (It never did this before in desktop mode).

LostDonkey

And how, exactly, would previous computer experience make me think to do this? On the contrary, previous experience would tell me to search in the Windows Store application. Or, I'd expect Quantum Break's (nonexistant) installer to prompt me for my preferred install location. Never before has moving data between hard disks involved going into your computer's settings.

One of the problems with Microsoft's recent Windows pushes is that it completely ignores existing user interface paradigms. That's not necessarily a bad thing—imagine if the iPhone had tried to copy OSX's UI—but it mean that the onus is on Microsoft to teach people the new way of doing things.

You'd think that anyone with a bit of know how about them, or who had at least used any device in the last decade would have had a poke around in the settings tab.

Hell, it's literally the FIRST thing I do when I get a new toy, be that TV, phone, console etc

tuna_love

Banned
Does this actually help? I assumed the AA in settings was some sort of cheap post-process.
night and day performance wise, dont ask why
ynNf2mp.png

sYlEf2o.png

this is what I'm using
980ti
32gb ram
shadow filtering is on medium as well, not in the pic

Ghazi

Is that with Upscaling off or on?

Make sure upscaling is set to on. With it off, I can't get consistent 60 fps on my 980 ti, either.

turn off aa

Nah, man. If I wanted to play with upscaling on I'd buy an Xbox One and play it there. In all seriousness, though, upscaling makes the game too blurry for my tastes, I keep it off. Have they made any comments about any further optimizations? I'm sure many people worked hard to crank this out, but it still isn't at an acceptable level.

Vitor711

Wait..People seriously don't know how to change the install location for your apps?

Is this your first computer?

Half the time all this ranting about Windows and the store is user error.

Go to settings, System and then Storage and choose your location for your apps.

It's not difficult people, come on.

Funny story - the first thing I did was go into settings and I don't have a System tab. I tried using snipping tool to screenshot this for you but of course it doesn't work in the Store, neither does print screen.

I've spent 5 minutes staring at every section under the Account view - I cannot find a storage section. If, like any other decent installer, it just asked me the destination, I wouldn't have had this problem.

EDIT: I have to do this in the f*cking OVERALL settings section? Oh f*ck that - I stand by my previous comments that this is God awful design. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 then 10, using each for a decent period of time. I've built my own PC, I have every type of console and most electronic devices. The fact that this had me stumped is not user f*cking error - it's bad design.

tuna_love

Banned
Nah, man. If I wanted to play with upscaling on I'd buy an Xbox One and play it there. In all seriousness, though, upscaling makes the game too blurry for my tastes, I keep it off. Have they made any comments about any further optimizations? I'm sure many people worked hard to crank this out, but it still isn't at an acceptable level.

did you try with aa off?

My siblings have been sucking up all the internet and now I am mad we cannot download the episodes on PC because this shit keeps canceling out. Why the heck can't it just buffer the whole video at least?

sfried

Still no AMD benchmarks?

Need to know if this game will perform well on a R7 270 or equivalent (7870 to be precise) with some compromises at sub1080p. Though likewise, I have an R9 Nano standing by.

sertopico

But I thought 4xMSAA was forced on regardless...?

That's correct, that ingame AA option toggles the shader based temporal aliasing. MSAA stays on. You can notice that also because there are almost no jaggies anyway when that gets disabled, other than having bad performance and stuttering.

And should that matter? This isn't an AMD vs. nvidia sales contest. This is more like "What should I do if I have an AMD card and want to play this game?"..."...when it goes on sale, of course?"

Because apparently AMD's marketshare is so pathetic that literally no one in this thread has an AMD card. It is both incredible and scary.

Vuze

Has anyone every taken a look at the game files? I mean yeah, UWP and all that but they should still be accessible and writable with admin rights, no?
Only thing I remember is that somebody posted a screenshot of the ROTR win10 version directory.

Perhaps there are some graphic preset configs or something that could be edited to force MSAA to lower levels or off.

SimplexPL

Has anyone every taken a look at the game files? I mean yeah, UWP and all that but they should still be accessible and writable with admin rights, no?
No, because it's all encrypted. And there most probably are integrity checks.

You really think that if it was as simple as modifying game file no one would have done it by now?

This is content of one of XML files:
6NÉżŢÔ/ôą\Ď^H žxYël}řÜsnžÁYƐpÂ|·Ú† >ťS˃ůź şâBŚŤ®Żšśâ¤ľuľIłőb ĐGS8…›Ĺ˛‡»ë
ƒj" ă$•'ź*PsŻA‹z‰_č
čľI”Ľ.xŹ

Vuze

No, because it's all encrypted. And there most probably are integrity checks.

You really think that if it was as simple as modifying game file no one would have done it by now?

This is content of one of XML files:
Well, I haven't heard anything at all about any attempts so I figured I'd just ask.

This really pissed me off too. Quality was amazing on my 4k tv but the dropped frames made it almost unwatchable.

I KNOW! I've been blazing through the game since the patch and enjoying the hell out of it, but the stuttering in the episodes really took me out of the experience...

Vuze

You didn't because they were futile :)
Just for reference, which xml file did you talk about before? My download just finished and I took a quick look but all xml's from the install dir I checked so far were plaintext (but useless and uninteresting, like the episode scripting etc).

The "Anti-Aliasing" setting in the graphics menu is for m_eMSAAQuality btw. Pretty weird to offer this as an on/off option.

sertopico

MSAA is part of the temporal reconstruction technique, I doubt it can be toggled so easily... Besides, as said already, that AA options affects only a few elements in the game, like the hair.

SimplexPL

Just for reference, which xml file did you talk about before? My download just finished and I took a quick look but all xml's from the install dir I checked so far were plaintext (but useless and uninteresting, like the episode scripting etc).

The "Anti-Aliasing" setting in the graphics menu is for m_eMSAAQuality btw. Pretty weird to offer this as an on/off option.

I was looking at files while being on win7 - maybe that's why it's encrypted?
Still, from what I understand UWP apps have anit-tamper integrity checks - so if data is modified then the original file is downloaded - but I do not know how it works in practice.

If you are right and it's possible to modify config files without problems then I will be glad I was wrong.

SimplexPL

Maybe on medium details (xbox one level) with upscaling enabled, but I would not get my hopes up, the game was evidently coded and optimized for 30fps and getting 60fps needs brute forcing with a powerful card.

Vuze

I was looking at files while being on win7 - maybe that's why it's encrypted?
Still, from what I understand UWP apps have anit-tamper integrity checks - so if data is modified then the original file is downloaded - but I do not know how it works in practice.

If you are right and it's possible to modify config files without problems then I will be glad I was wrong.
Considering the hoops you have to jump through to access the files on Win10 itself, I wouldn't be surprised.

As for anti-tampering, I haven't modified any files since I can't be arsed to re-download the game and god knows if a simple copy-paste restore is sufficient (maybe the app gets flagged as tampered and you have to completly reinstall it or whatever :x). There's this AppxBlockMap.xml in the root of the install dir which contains a ton of sha256 hashes which all files are checked against during installation but I haven't found any info online whether or not the file is used after the installation process to verify.

Other random tidbit I came across while skimming the files is that the modules (rendering, animation etc) are supplied for Durango (XO), UWP and... PC (and yes, atleast judging from the file size UWP and PC are considerably different).

Unfortunately I didn't come across anything relevant to disabling the forced "reconstructional" MSAA, but honestly I didn't expect it to be a simple-to-change variable anyway. Probably rooted deeply in their rendering approach.

I should check how the game runs for me now lol.

GRaider81

just deleted the game (I think) as even that didn't go smoothly.

Clicked the uninstall button where it then hangs. It's left the QB icon in my apps too.

Gave this thing a chance but been a horrible experience using windows store for this not to mention performance on my 980ti.

Ah well enjoyed the couple of chapters I did play, got the feel of what the game was.

How do you use presentmon? I downloaded a build but when I open the program I just get a flash of a command line, then nothing... Am I missing something?

LostDonkey

Weird to hear about the stuttering during cut scenes now, I had that before the patch and it's now gone for me.

16gb ram

1080p ultra preset 30fps cap on. Everything is super smooth.

Well, as smooth as 30fps can be hehe

LordRaptor

You'd think that anyone with a bit of know how about them, or who had at least used any device in the last decade would have had a poke around in the settings tab.

Hell, it's literally the FIRST thing I do when I get a new toy, be that TV, phone, console etc

It seems like this is maybe YOUR first computer then.
PCs don't have manufacturer assigned limits to storage space. Not asking where to install a program on a per-program basis is very much not normal.

Vuze

How do you use presentmon? I downloaded a build but when I open the program I just get a flash of a command line, then nothing... Am I missing something?
Try running it with these arguments: -process_name QuantumBreak from a command line instance.
E: Well, seems it doesn't work this way for UWP apps? Apparently you need to figure out the PID (Task-Manager -> Details) and run it with -process_id <PID>. Only then it started capturing data for me.

SimplexPL

If you just need fps counter, then Dxtory worked out of the box for me and provided real time fps counter overlay when playing QB. I wonder why this is the only software that works.

SimplexPL

What is happening on that screenshot? Looks like some kind of visual bug/glitch?

It seems like this is maybe YOUR first computer then.
PCs don't have manufacturer assigned limits to storage space. Not asking where to install a program on a per-program basis is very much not normal.

Actually, Origin works in a similar fashion - you have to change the installation path in settings every time you want to install a game to a different location.
But, of course, Origin is no standard to measure by.

LordRaptor

Actually, Origin works in a similar fashion - you have to change the installation path in settings every time you want to install a game to a different location.
But, of course, Origin is no standard to measure by.

Sure, but at least its an option within the storefront program you are using.
Win 10 Store taking its settings from global computer settings is extremely counter-intuitive

noomi

I was so hyped for this game, and all that hype basically died when I started reading how poor the performance of the game was.

Still want to play it, but not from the win10 store. Maybe some day...

At least performance is semi good now?

Top Bottom