• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

scitek

Ok, I just finished Act 1, and the game runs perfectly fine on my system, with the exception of one very weird bug? I'm on a 980 ti, running the game at 1440p, and I've set upscaling to on, everything at medium settings. For the people who insist on playing on ultra, do not do that. Game is just unplayable at those settings, but on medium, it runs perfectly mine, at least on my system anyway. I don't know how to get the game to display the frame rate, but for the entirety of Act 1, from what I can tell, I was easily well north of 60 fps most of the time. I have a pretty good eye for frame rates, so I'm very confident this is accurate.

I'm on 364.72 drivers, using a gsync monitor, and the game is buttery smooth for the most part. The only odd problem I found was that through the entirety of Act 1, when I transitioned from certain scenes to another, the frame rate would tank and the game became super choppy. To fix this, all I had to do was pause the game and un-pause (sometimes, it would take multiple tries), and the frame rate would shoot back up to 60 fps and above again. I don't know if this is a gsync bug or what, but it's very bizarre.

In any case, I'll keep playing and see if my frame rates hold up, but so far, the game is buttery smooth on my system now and I'm enjoying the game so much more now because of that.

Sounds like you need to turn the textures down to High.

burgerdog

Maaaaaan, I barely beat the game this morning and I didn't get the patch. Oh well, I deleted the game as soon as the post credits scene rolled. It was taking up 111GB on my ssd. I'll replay this in a few years and hopefully it'll be a smooth 60.

tuna_love

Banned
Maaaaaan, I barely beat the game this morning and I didn't get the patch. Oh well, I deleted the game as soon as the post credits scene rolled. It was taking up 111GB on my ssd. I'll replay this in a few years and hopefully it'll be a smooth 60.
why was yours taking up 111gb? i gptna refund for this on launch week but i can atill play it, thats pretty cool

Wait, 111GB? Did the overall game size increase after the patch?

...I'm going to need to increase the size of my SSD's ntfs partition...

burgerdog

why was yours taking up 111gb? i gptna refund for this on launch week but i can atill play it, thats pretty cool

I wish I knew, I didn't download the TV episodes, either. Unless the game was on the verge of preparing the patch download. The last time I got to see the install size it was sitting at around 50 something.

I didn't have the patch installed because I checked the settings right before I finished the game and I didn't have additional options below global illumination.

Patch hasn't made much difference that I can really notice. Still runs mostly great on Medium, performance gets shaky and the control starts to feel poor on High, and it's utterly unplayable on Ultra. If I disable upscaling, Medium no longer feels smooth. (i5 3570k / 970)

I played through the back half of the game on Medium on PC, and while it's annoying that I can't really go any higher, I was pretty much happy with it. It's basically the Bone version at a higher resolution and framerate, and with the reconstruction technique's smudgy blur look much less in-your-face (though still present).

I kind of wish you could adjust the amount of reconstruction.

Like, for example, on my 1080p screen, it would be nice if I could have the game render at a native resolution of 1600x900. Might provide a nice middle ground.

mjp2417

Banned
I'm on 364.72 drivers, using a gsync monitor, and the game is buttery smooth for the most part. The only odd problem I found was that through the entirety of Act 1, when I transitioned from certain scenes to another, the frame rate would tank and the game became super choppy. To fix this, all I had to do was pause the game and un-pause (sometimes, it would take multiple tries), and the frame rate would shoot back up to 60 fps and above again. I don't know if this is a gsync bug or what, but it's very bizarre.

I'm also on a 980ti playing at Medium settings and I was getting this as well. I'm playing on a TV however, so I don't believe it's due to Gsync.

sertopico

I really cannot stand the damned Windows Store, after many hours I was almost getting to the end of this 27 gigs download nightmare and I got an error which stated there was no internet connection (false), soon after I retried and I got another error, this time it was about not having enough space on the SSD. It started downloading the friggin patch again from scratch. Fuck!
This platform is a mess. I had almost 70 GB free on the ssd, now the dl reached 2 GB and the remaining space on the disk is only about 11 GB. What the hell is happening? Guess I'll get soon another error.

Vuze

I really cannot stand the damned Windows Store, after many hours I was almost getting to the end of this 27 gigs download nightmare and I got an error which stated there was no internet connection (false), soon after I retried and I got another error, this time it was about not having enough space on the SSD. It started downloading the friggin patch again from scratch. Fuck!
This platform is a mess. I had almost 70 GB free on the ssd, now the dl reached 2 GB and the remaining space on the disk is only about 11 GB. What the hell is happening? Guess I'll get soon another error.
Yeah, I still haven't finished downloading my game either and the 82gb thing stuck even after a reboot so it's probably downloading 82gb for real... wtf. Thank god I'm on no data cap (unfortunately got to deal with 16mbit in turn...)

sertopico

That's unbelievable, this is the first and last time I am gonna buy something in there, that's the stone age of digital delivery. WTF Microsoft. Do they really think to have a chance with such a catastrophic platform?

Anyway, sorry for the off topic and the rant. I am kinda pissed off.

Kezen

Banned
That's unbelievable, this is the first and last time I am gonna buy something in there, that's the stone age of digital delivery. WTF Microsoft. Do they really think to have a chance with such a catastrophic platform?

Don't worry this is utterly baffling to anyone. Microsoft never cease to fail.

sertopico

^ Yeah, time to wait for the next big surprise.
You might need to run Wsreset to clear the windows store cache if youre having problems with the dl
Already tried that but thanks... The patch just keeps downloading like nothing happened. Should I stop the update process before using that tool? I really hope I won't be forced to delete the game and start over.

You have a right to be pissed off.

What's most rediculous about this crap is that it's not like the Windows Store is new. The Windows Store was introduced with Windows 8, in 2012!

In the time that the Windows Store has been out, I've gone 3/4 of the way through college. And yet it doesn't work properly.

I'm also on a 980ti playing at Medium settings and I was getting this as well. I'm playing on a TV however, so I don't believe it's due to Gsync.

Cool, thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this minor issue. Very weird bug, but at least there's an easy fix to this.

golem

^ Yeah, time to wait for the next big surprise.

Already tried that but thanks... The patch just keeps downloading like nothing happened. Should I stop the update process before using that tool? I really hope I won't be forced to delete the game and start over.

I tried updating twice and it didn't work. Ended up just completely uninstalling, wsreset and then starting a new install. Windows store is poop

Vash63

You are giving remedy too much credit. Game runs like poop.

And? Crysis did as well for most people (everyone on Ultra) and also looked phenomenal and had many future-proofed settings.

That said, any game with forced vsync and no real way to benchmark is not worthy of Crysis comparisons.

tioslash

Tell me about it. I was downloading the patch yesterday, got to 12GB and all of a sudden, it decides to stop and restart from 0. I didn´t pause the thing, nothing. And my internet is not particularly fast, in fact is pretty damn slow, so you can imagine my frustration.

K' Dash

Patch hasn't made much difference that I can really notice. Still runs mostly great on Medium, performance gets shaky and the control starts to feel poor on High, and it's utterly unplayable on Ultra. If I disable upscaling, Medium no longer feels smooth. (i5 3570k / 970)

I played through the back half of the game on Medium on PC, and while it's annoying that I can't really go any higher, I was pretty much happy with it. It's basically the Bone version at a higher resolution and framerate, and with the reconstruction technique's smudgy blur look much less in-your-face (though still present).

This was exactly my experience, I'll replay when I upgrade to Pascal for sure.

Is dxtory what you're supposed to use to measure the frame rate? If so, how do you display the fps counter? Is there something you need to check within the app to get the fps counter to show in-game?

sfried

Alot of people saying in the other thread that this game heavily favours amd, but no exact setting or fps which is basically useless to me.
Which other thread?

Does anyone not have any AMD cards to compare the update to?
I will also point out that we still haven't gotten any impressions from AMD users. It may well be that this port is simply not optimized for nVidia cards, rather than PC's in general. Not saying that's the case, but I am saying we just don't know.
Yeah, what gives? Does GAF hate AMD cards that much or something?

dr_rus

It's 68GBs post patch, was a bit less prior to it I think?

Eh, Quantum Breaks Real Time Global Illumination is pretty advanced.

Well, it's advanced for what it's doing - running on a weak XBO h/w. But in general - no, not really, as it uses a precomputation technique from 1998 to achieve what it does. Crysis 3 had GI which was based on a precomputed GI volumes and worked on a previous gen consoles for example. The advanced part of QB's GI is their voxel tree computation which is done via a compute shader and is likely the main reason why NV's h/w aren't doing too hot in this renderer as this shader seems to be heavily GCN optimized.

Yeah, what gives? Does GAF hate AMD cards that much or something?

Actually, I think it speaks to just how few people are buying AMD cards nowadays. And that's really worrying from a competition standpoint. nVidia already doesn't do too well on the consumer friendliness scale (forcing proprietary technologies like G-Sync and 3D Vision); imagine how much worse things could get going forward.

I'm stuck with nVidia for the forseeable future due to Hackintosh compatibility, but I'm really rooting for AMD here. What scares me is the thought that that in a situation where AMD cards clearly have the upper hand, users will actually blame the game developer for poor optimization, rather than nVidia hardware. How the heck is AMD supposed to break out of THAT?

I know the situation with Quantum Break is a little more complicated than that (this is pretty clearly a sub-par PC port regardless of GPU manufacturer), but I think it's telling that this patch has been out for more than 24 hours without a single AMD user posting impressions. Surely there are some AMD fanboys on this forum who would love the chance to gloat about how much better AMD is doing with Quantum Break... right?

Ghazi

By the way, DXtory will let you see FPS in this game. I can't get 60 at max settings with my i7 and GTX980Ti so that's great.

Freiya

And? Crysis did as well for most people (everyone on Ultra) and also looked phenomenal and had many future-proofed settings.

That said, any game with forced vsync and no real way to benchmark is not worthy of Crysis comparisons.
Crysis pooped on everything when it released and was king of the hill for a long time. Same cannot be said about QB. It looks nice but it's not pooping on everything.

Actually, I think it speaks to just how few people are buying AMD cards nowadays! And that's really worrying from a competition standpoint. nVidia already doesn't do too well on the consumer friendliness scale (forcing proprietary technologies like G-Sync and 3D Vision), just imagine how much worse things could get going forward.

I'm stuck with nVidia for the forseeable future due to Hackintosh compatibility, but I'm really rooting for AMD here. What scares me is the thought that that in a situation where AMD cards clearly have the upper hand, users will actually blame the game developer for poor optimization, rather than nVidia hardware. How the heck is AMD supposed to break out of THAT?

I know the situation with Quantum Break is a little more complicated than that (this is pretty clearly a sub-par PC port regardless of GPU manufacturer), but I think it's telling that this patch has been out for more than 24 hours without a SINGLE AMD user posting impressions. Surely there are some legit AMD fanboys on this forum who would LOVE the chance to gloat about how much better AMD is doing with Quantum Break... right?

I wonder this too since a R9 390 beat out a 980 in terms of benchmarks when this game first released. Most impressions in this thread are from 970 users.

By the way, DXtory will let you see FPS in this game. I can't get 60 at max settings with my i7 and GTX980Ti so that's great.

Really? I couldn't get it to work. Was there anything special you had to do to get dxtorty to work? I actually found an alternative to capture frame rate:

https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

980ti at greater than 60 fps is more than doable. Just make sure you're at the medium preset. When I play at 1440p, with upscaling set to on, I'm almost always well above 60 fps. At the start of Act 2, for example, my fps are in excess of 90+.

Playing at ultra is a pipe dream. Maybe it'll be possible when Pascal hits. If I were you, just lower your settings to medium and play the game at over 60 fps!

Ghazi

Really? I couldn't get it to work. Was there anything special you had to do to get dxtorty to work? I actually found an alternative to capture frame rate:

https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

980ti at greater than 60 fps is more than doable. Just make sure you're at the medium preset. When I play at 1440p, with upscaling set to on, I'm almost always well above 60 fps. At the start of Act 2, for example, my fps are in excess of 90+.

Playing at ultra is a pipe dream. Maybe it'll be possible when Pascal hits. If I were you, just lower your settings to medium and play the game at over 60 fps!

No special settings, I just ran DXtory first then launched QB. I had heard of mirillis, but I already had DX installed so I tried that first and it worked. I ended up putting everything to high/ultra with upscaling off and playing at 30, but I'd prefer 60 so I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Freiya

I'm using dxtory just fine. I believe you need to make sure video fps is checked in the overlay setting. Might need to make sure qb is in the profile at the top too. I dunno if it matters but I have delay hook checked in advanced settings as well.

Odd. Well, dxtory works now. The only difference this time around is I installed it to the same drive that Quantum Break is installed on. Before, I installed it to my other drive on my pc. Don't know if that makes any difference. In any case, yay, I much prefer dxtory over the other app.

Hmm, there is a bug with the progress bar that makes it look like it has started again, when in reality it has resumed as you'd expect. Doesn't explain your disk space though.

The store is being massively revamped so the experience should improve drastically - I think in the one year anniversary release, but not sure from the top of my head.

sertopico

As somebody said above the Store came out 4 years ago along with Win 8, not just yesterday, so there has been plenty of time to take care of it. What we are getting instead is a mobile platform with bigger icons on a desktop PC, nothing more than that. These are bugs which needed to be addressed as soon as possible, especially when the download size got so big... I doubt they do not have the know-how about building something more functional or at least functioning.

I think there's some kind of files orgy inside my windows app folder, today the dl started again (yesterday it reached 6 gb), the progress bar got almost to the end, and I lost another gb on my ssd. I'm going to erase everything because I am not even sure this will end up successfully.

SimplexPL

Here's Windows Store in a nutshell:
KNOWN ISSUES:
- Windows 10 download progress bar does not accurately display progress.
- Due to a UI issue download progress may not be accurately displayed (despite downloading without issue).
- When pausing and resuming the download, it may appear that the download has reset (appears to start from 0). However, actual download progress has not been affected.
Source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/rise-of-the-tomb-raider/9nblggh6crsz

bes.gen

damn this shit.
last i cheked it was at 20gb. this morning it seems to have reset and at 3gb and still going
i have a 4mbit connection so this is extra shitty.

cant wait to get it over with this game and delete it of the ssd (which it almost completely exhausted with game, patch data leaving 20gb free space or so)

dont plan to touch windows store ever again.

tioslash

damn this shit.
last i cheked it was at 20gb. this morning it seems to have reset and at 3gb and still going
i have a 4mbit connection so this is extra shitty.

cant wait to get it over with this game and delete it of the ssd (which it almost completely exhausted with game, patch data leaving 20gb free space or so)

dont plan to touch windows store ever again.

As somebody said above the Store came out 4 years ago along with Win 8, not just yesterday, so there has been plenty of time to take care of it. What we are getting instead is a mobile platform with bigger icons on a desktop PC, nothing more than that. These are bugs which needed to be addressed as soon as possible, especially when the download size got so big... I doubt they do not have the know-how about building something more functional or at least functioning.

I think there's some kind of files orgy inside my windows app folder, today the dl started again (yesterday it reached 6 gb), the progress bar got almost to the end, and I lost another gb on my ssd. I'm going to erase everything because I am not even sure this will end up successfully.

Yeah, I would love to try the game post-patch, if only this shitty Windows Store would actually finish the download. Tried 2 times already - first went to 12GB and restarted itself and now to 25GB and started again from scratch. Seriously? I can´t play the game now because I can´t download it.

Ended up deleting everything. Base instalation, folders, used the command WSReset and whatever else. If I had a 100Mbps connection I wouldn´t give a damn, problem is mine is 4Mbps.

sertopico

Yeah, I would love to try the game post-patch, if only this shitty Windows Store would actually finish the download. Tried 2 times already - first went to 12GB and restarted itself and now to 25GB and started again from scratch. Seriously? I can´t play the game now because I can´t download it.

Ended up deleting everything. Base instalation, folders, used the command WSReset and whatever else. If I had a 100Mbps connection I wouldn´t give a damn, problem is mine is 4Mbps.
Same problem here, I have a shitty o2 contract which allows me to dl only at 1.8MB/s, so it takes at least 7 hours to get the whole game.

Actually, I think it speaks to just how few people are buying AMD cards nowadays. And that's really worrying from a competition standpoint. nVidia already doesn't do too well on the consumer friendliness scale (forcing proprietary technologies like G-Sync and 3D Vision); imagine how much worse things could get going forward.

I know the situation with Quantum Break is a little more complicated than that (this is pretty clearly a sub-par PC port regardless of GPU manufacturer), but I think it's telling that this patch has been out for more than 24 hours without a single AMD user posting impressions. Surely there are some AMD fanboys on this forum who would love the chance to gloat about how much better AMD is doing with Quantum Break... right?

I'm almost regretting selling my 290 now, given the difference in performance on some more recent games. I only did it cause I found an ubelievably sweet deal on a 980 (100€ under the average price), but now I feel like I've shot myself in the foot for DX12 games :/

And now I'm hearing that some AAA devs are switching from working with Nvidia to optimizing their games for AMD cards instead (Watch_Dogs 2 for example), which kinda makes sense given that all consoles use AMD hardware now so it makes porting to PC easier.

Unless Pascal is truly a game-changer and the price-points for midrange cards stay the same (i.e. 1070 launches at the 970 price point but with vastly improved performance), I may end up switching right back to AMD (Polaris) before the year is out.

Not an AMD fanboy here but apart from driver-induced microstutter over the previous gen I was pretty happy with my 5970 and then my 290 for a good long while.

Top Bottom