• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

Evo X

I wonder if the Pascal Titan X will be able to play this at an acceptable fps at 1440p native.

Really hoping it can as I've shelved this game because my Maxwell Titan X can't.

sfried

I mostly been seeing nVidia card reports here regarding recent updates.

Does anybody have AMD figures? I have an R9 Nano ready to roll, but curious how far an RX480 could handle the game.

ekgrey

So...did this get a terrible patch or something? I played through it on medium locked to 30 with upscaling off on my 970 at release and found it at least playable. Now I'm attempting to play it again with my new 1070 and it is actually unplayable at the same settings. I certainly can't go any higher. FPS has to be in the teens at best and it's like the game itself is slowed down: I'll break a crate open and a piece will tumble over itself in the air for 10+ seconds before it finally hits the ground, even as I move around it at "normal" (relatively) speed. It's seriously fucked for me and I dunno what to do. :(

Yes, shaking phone bug is fixed.
Ultrawide is now supported.
RX 480 performance is great.
Medium settings, textures ultra, upscaling on, AA off @3440x1440 I have around 45-50fps.
For 240€ I can't complain.

Really hope that word isn't around in a few years. What a shit
It gets really annoying at this point, reading the same posts by the same people.

They have to face it, that this game doesn't run very well on Nvidia.

shiyrley

Banned
Is the game working properly from HDDs now? I installed it on the SSD, completed it and uninstalled it. I *might* install it again to revisit the game but I really don't want to take 60 GBs from my SSD again, so, does the game work properly from HDD? Digital Foundry said it was unplayable from HDDs, at launch at least.

mosdl

So...did this get a terrible patch or something? I played through it on medium locked to 30 with upscaling off on my 970 at release and found it at least playable. Now I'm attempting to play it again with my new 1070 and it is actually unplayable at the same settings. I certainly can't go any higher. FPS has to be in the teens at best and it's like the game itself is slowed down: I'll break a crate open and a piece will tumble over itself in the air for 10+ seconds before it finally hits the ground, even as I move around it at "normal" (relatively) speed. It's seriously fucked for me and I dunno what to do. :(

I got this on my 1070 as well, I had to restart to fix it. I would get slowdowns out of nowhere, then suddenly get back to 60fps and then for no reason back to teens.

All this without moving the character. I was getting it a lot in the first chapter especially near the time machine. In Chapter 2 now and haven't seen the issue yet though.

Game is a buggy port.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just got my 1070 and I look forward to tinkering with this game. I will find a way to run it at 1080p/60fps.
Even if I have to turn some settings to low. No upscaling. All native.

Is the game working properly from HDDs now? I installed it on the SSD, completed it and uninstalled it. I *might* install it again to revisit the game but I really don't want to take 60 GBs from my SSD again, so, does the game work properly from HDD? Digital Foundry said it was unplayable from HDDs, at launch at least.

I've never had an issue with it on my HDD...

pa22word

I got this on my 1070 as well, I had to restart to fix it. I would get slowdowns out of nowhere, then suddenly get back to 60fps and then for no reason back to teens.

All this without moving the character. I was getting it a lot in the first chapter especially near the time machine. In Chapter 2 now and haven't seen the issue yet though.

Game is a buggy port.

I'm almost certain the game has memory leak issues that causes that crazy bad slowdown that pops up every now and again. I could always fix it by rebooting the game, though.

sertopico

^ Just try disabling and re-enabling the upscaling in the video settings, that's a faster way, the VRAM gets flushed and the slowdowns disappear. Anyway, did anybody try to run the game with the Win 10 Anniversary Update? Remedy talked about some kind of resources management issue which should have been fixed with this update. It should give better perfs...

dr_rus

^ Just try disabling and re-enabling the upscaling in the video settings, that's a faster way, the VRAM gets flushed and the slowdowns disappear. Anyway, did anybody try to run the game with the Win 10 Anniversary Update? Remedy talked about some kind of resources management issue which should have been fixed with this update. It should give better perfs...

Only if this isn't requiring an update to the game itself to take advantage of. Which it usually does, especially with these new thin APIs.

sertopico

Yeah, could be. Let's see what happens.

edit: so, I tried some of the most demanding levels (swimming pool and the industrial area, when Jack goes into the red zone: of course I did not play those level straight but I began playing a little bit earlier so that I can reproduce the memory leak). Good news is that apparently there is no more memory saturation but, bad news, fps stay low anyway most of the time. At this point I think the only solution is brute force, aka a more powerful GPU.

Evo X

So did this game stop working for anyone after the Windows 10 anniversary update yesterday?

Neither this or Forza 6 Apex launch anymore. When I try to start, a screen pops up quickly and then immediately exits out automatically.

Vuze

So did this game stop working for anyone after the Windows 10 anniversary update yesterday?

Neither this or Forza 6 Apex launch anymore. When I try to start, a screen pops up quickly and then immediately exits out automatically.
Hm, might be on your end. I installed the anniversary update as well and it still works "fine".
Also is windowed mode new? I never realized you could switch between fullscreen and windowed in the top bar. Even dynamically scales to the aspect ratio as long as it's supported. Pretty cool.

99S7nMg.png

LostDonkey

My whole PC stopped working after playing Forza Apex on the anniversary update.

Had to re install windows in the end after a bsod loop and it failing to repair anything using my Win10 disc.

sertopico

I have no probs starting the game, the only thing which occurred was the game running in windowed mode after the Anniversary Update. Other than that, no issue.

SimplexPL

I am curious if on the new Titan X it's finally possible to play QB maxed out in 1080p60 without upscaling and without frame drops.

sertopico

I don't think so. The Titan X is more or less 20-30% faster than the 1080 (depends on the game), which is still not enough to get 60 fps rock solid, considering the fact the game dares to run at 35 fps in some areas with everything maxed out on a 1080. It gets close to that but still...

I am curious if on the new Titan X it's finally possible to play QB maxed out in 1080p60 without upscaling and without frame drops.
I don't think so. The Titan X is more or less 20-30% faster than the 1080 (depends on the game), which is still not enough to get 60 fps rock solid, considering the fact the game dares to run at 35 fps in some areas with everything maxed out on a 1080. It gets close to that but still...
Yeah I do not see even the new mighty Titan X being capable of this.
QB honestly just does not seem to be utilising hardware correctly on NV GPUs (as in all of the various hardware units effectively). Even though I get 99% utilisation if I uncap the performance, the power draw % on the GPU is decidedly lower than other games when uncapped.

sertopico

Not bad... Personally I would never use a Titan X to play at 1080p though. :D

edit: i see it's not even maxed out, the AA is off, and that option takes a lot of fps sometimes.

Is this with the new Titan X? Quite impressive performance there.
edit: i see it's not even maxed out, the AA is off, and that option takes a lot of fps sometimes.
I honestly have no idea what the AA option does. It does not turn of TAA (as the horrible trails it leaves are still readily present all the time), nor does it seem to turn off the internal MSAA (which would be very obvious). Perhaps there is also a simple PPAA the game uses that it turns off.
It's not 1080p either...
Indeed.

dr_rus

Not bad... Personally I would never use a Titan X to play at 1080p though. :D

Well, I have a 1080p TV which I use when I want to play on a comfy couch. Doesn't really matter if that is with a new Titan or some other card =)

Is this with the new Titan X? Quite impressive performance there.
Yep, from Hwcanucks review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...8-nvidia-titan-x-12gb-performance-review.html

I honestly have no idea what the AA option does. It does not turn of TAA (as the horrible trails it leaves are still readily present all the time), nor does it seem to turn off the internal MSAA (which would be very obvious). Perhaps there is also a simple PPAA the game uses that it turns off.

I believe it is some PPAA or maybe a PPAA with temporal pass or something. Should not affect the fps much even when on.

Jackpot

Banned
Gotta say this port was abysmal. Worse than Arkham Knight. Massive memory leak meant the framerate would chug over time, not to mention the constant driver crashes and audio desyncs in cutscenes. And to think this originally launched without even a quit button.

Gotta say this port was abysmal. Worse than Arkham Knight. Massive memory leak meant the framerate would chug over time, not to mention the constant driver crashes and audio desyncs in cutscenes. And to think this originally launched without even a quit button.
Didn't have any of these issues on AMD hw.
Performance is great and the game runs smooth and looks phenomenal.
With the latest patch and Freesync and Ultrawide support added, I have nothing more to complain about.
Only the live action series is stuttering, but Remedy said that is purely MS side.

P.S.: The memory leak issue should be fixed with the anniversary update that is being rolled out since August 2nd.

dr_rus

Didn't have any of these issues on AMD hw.
Performance is great and the game runs smooth and looks phenomenal.
With the latest patch and Freesync and Ultrawide support added, I have nothing more to complain about.
Only the live action series is stuttering, but Remedy said that is purely MS side.

P.S.: The memory leak issue should be fixed with the anniversary update that is being rolled out since August 2nd.

Yeah, 31 average fps on a Fury X in 1440p is great for an Xbox One port /sarcasm

Yeah, 31 average fps on a Fury X in 1440p is great for an Xbox One port /sarcasm
On ultra and with upscaling off?

There is your problem.

On medium settings all graphical effects are in place and performance is what you would expect from that kind of graphics.
The visible jump in quality to Ultra is minuscle, but the performance loss is gigantic.
XONE - 1.3 TFLOPS
Fury X - 8.6 TFLOPS (6.6x faster not counting massively faster CPU in PCs).
X1: 1.3 TF - 1920x1080 (/w upscaling) - 30fps
RX480: 5.8 TF - 3440x1440 (/w upscaling) - 50-65fps

Not bad imo.
Also you can never directly compare pure hardwarepower of consoles vs PC.
PC always needs more power for same performance.

SimplexPL

Yes, few posts back.

The visible jump in quality to Ultra is minuscle, but the performance loss is gigantic.
This is a valid point. It would be interesting to compare PC performance at the same graphical settings as Xbox One version.
According to Digital Foundry it "runs at the equivalent of medium presets across the board."

This is a valid point. It would be interesting to compare PC performance at the same graphical settings as Xbox One version.
According to Digital Foundry it "runs at the equivalent of medium presets across the board."
X1: 1.3 TF - 1920x1080 (/w upscaling) - 30fps
RX480: 5.8 TF - 3440x1440 (/w upscaling) - 50-65fps
This was on medium preset, only textures changed to ultra, geometry to high and AA off.

dr_rus

There is your problem.

On medium settings all graphical effects are in place and performance is what you would expect from that kind of graphics.

Which kinda turns us back to how badly optimized the port of the renderer is which is the whole point of this discussion. The game isn't showing anything graphically which should run at 30 fps on Fury X in 1440p, on Ultra or not. It is running badly even on GCN h/w when you consider the results and the origins of the engine. It's like one of two games which can't produce 60 fps on the new Titan in 1440p - don't know what else you need to see that its engine is badly optimized.

SimplexPL

Digital Foundry:
Quantum Break's 1.7 patch notes also tell us that frame-pacing has been fixed and it's true to say that the 30fps cap is now far more functional than before. Both the R9 390 and Fury X benefited in our testing here, with enough headroom with upscaling disabled to make use of a 30fps cap - a sacrifice on performance for a full 1080p image. The good news is the stuttering is massively minimised, with far fewer frame-time fluctuations from the desired 33ms to 16ms/50ms. It's visibly smoother compared to Quantum Break's pre-patch state, even if a few frame-spikes during cut-scenes show it's not 100 per cent perfect.

It's like one of two games which can't produce 60 fps on the new Titan in 1440p
What is the second game? Unity, Hitman?

dr_rus

What is the second game? Unity, Hitman?

I believe I saw one other game in one of reviews but it may in fact be just QB. Hitman is fine (70-90 fps depending on the test) and I haven't seen Unity results but I'd imaging it would be ok considering that 1080 stock is running at ~50 fps in it in 1440p.

Top Bottom