• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

dr_rus

Well we all have, at least for Nvidia.
Since no side can proof or state facts for the future, there isn't much left than waiting for the upcoming DX12 titles.

It depends on the use case, you could kill off round trips between the processors, saving additional latency and idle-times, you can build new mechanism living inside the GPU.
Intel gave away the performance numbers for their simple asteroid demo:
vHf9DrH.png

DICE and Confetti presented methods for triangle culling and a visibility buffer, one key foundation are the expanded capabilities coming with ExecuteIndirect.
Beginning with page 22:
http://frostbite-wp-prd.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/29204330/GDC_2016_Compute.pdf

Also page 22:
http://www.conffx.com/Visibility_Buffer_GDCE.pdf

SM6 may also come to DX11.3/4 but the explicit resource managament, the command-list-generation, ExecuteIndirect and the new binding model are only available under DX12, as long I didn't get anything wrong:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn859252(v=vs.85).aspx

I agree, the variance under AotS is too high for precise arguments but unfortunately there isn't much choice.
At least there is also Time Spy:
http://www.legitreviews.com/3dmark-time-spy-benchmark-dx12-async-compute-performance-tested_184260

10,6 % for the 380X Nitro, 12,1% with the RX 480 and 12,8% for Fury X.

I would be interested in cases where you could see smaller gains from Async Compute on the RX 480 but there are currently only two applications which allow comparisons between Async Compute on/off and are publicly tested.
There might be a third with Rise of the Tombraider since there is a Async Compute option in the config but I didn't find results for it.
Fortunately with Gears of War 4 there will be an upcoming title which also allows Async Compute on/off comparisons.

Yeah, you're right, bindless resources are D3D12 only feature, still it's mostly a CPU optimization as your example shows.

As for 480's async gains being lower - I don't really collect these cases but I've seen them a couple of times in benchmarks on 480's launch, you can usually spot them with 480 getting less performance gain from switching to DX12 when compared to 390 and Fury.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, the game clearly wasn't optimized and built from the ground up to run well on anything that is available right now without the upscaling so... I don't even bother to play with it off. We clearly need to brute force this fucking thing with the 2018-2019's GPUs to make it run well even at 1080p and upscaling off.

Right now, the game runs really well in 1080p maxed out (no AA and grain) with the upscaling on - rock solid 60 FPS with the Vsync, 80-120 FPS with the Vsync off.

My specs:

4790K @4.4 Ghz
32 GB RAM
Strix GTX 1070 OC (ASUS GPU Tweak II - 1905 MHz Core / 8108 MHz Memory / 120% Power Target)
HDD

Btw, someone talked about the ReShade here to make the game look less blury. Can someone provide detailed info on this please? I haven't used ReShade before....

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, the game clearly wasn't optimized and built from the ground up to run well on anything that is available right now without the upscaling so... I don't even bother to play with it on. We clearly need to brute force this fucking thing with the 2018-2019's GPUs to make it run well even at 1080p and upscaling off.

Right now, the game runs really well in 1080p maxed out (no AA and grain) with the upscaling on - rock solid 60 FPS with the Vsync, 80-120 FPS with the Vsync off.

My specs:

4790K @4.4 Ghz
32 GB RAM
Strix GTX 1070 OC (ASUS GPU Tweak II - 1905 MHz Core / 8108 MHz Memory / 120% Power Target)
HDD

Btw, someone talked about the ReShade here to make the game look less blury. Can someone provide detailed info on this please? I haven't used ReShade before....
Damn, I was hoping my 1070 could get 1080p/60fps with upscaling off.

Heck I'd turn all other settings to low.

im running 4k/30 (upscaling on) everything at ultra

i5 4690k, 980ti, 16 gigs ram, ssd

looks pretty great. i turned off upscaling and it totally tanked my framerate

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Pretty sure it's possible if you turn other settings down
To me personaly, it is better to just use upscaling and get stable 60 FPS (or more with the Vsync off) than turning down the settings. The game even with the upscaling off looks really not that good and impressive in terms of textures and aliasing and if you turn the settings down it will look like shit.

If only we could disable the fucking motion blur... I JUST HATE IT!

To me personaly, it is better to just use upscaling and get stable 60 FPS (or more with the Vsync off) than turning down the settings. The game even with the upscaling off looks really not that good and impressive in terms of textures and aliasing and if you turn the settings down it will look like shit.

If only we could disable the fucking motion blur... I JUST HATE IT!

I would still keep textures at the highest setting, that's the one thing I never turn down.

Locuza

Yeah, you're right, bindless resources are D3D12 only feature, still it's mostly a CPU optimization as your example shows.
You will also see that the switch from DX11 to DX12 in this example dramatically improves GPU performance but not so much CPU times.
Where of course the opposite is to be expected for DX12 applications but it's a simple demo running on a power shared SoC.
Nonetheless the interesting observation about this example is, that the performance always improves on boths sides, even if small.
Going from DX12 to bindless and then using ExecuteIndirect shortened the time by 18% respectively DX12 alone took 21% more time to process on the GPU side.

To be fair, there might be DX11 extensions available through NVAPI and AGS to mimic ExecuteIndirect and for OpenGL there are also extensions for bindless resources.
However, it's likely that we will have DX12/Vulkan only applications where we won't have direct comparisons in contrast to DX11/OGL, even if many if not all features could be achieved through IHV-Extensions and some different implementations.
But developing applications full with IHV specific extensions are of course not the most attractive for developers, if there is a common standard and at a certain point it will become unreasonable to try the same things under DX11/OGL.

As for 480's async gains being lower - I don't really collect these cases but I've seen them a couple of times in benchmarks on 480's launch, you can usually spot them with 480 getting less performance gain from switching to DX12 when compared to 390 and Fury.
In comparison to the 390 and Fury you definietly see cases where the benefits are smaller but how much of it is directly related to the improved architecture and not due the configuration or bandwitdh?
My main reasoning is of course the 380(X) (Gen 3) which shows basically the same results like the RX 480 (Gen 4), pointing out to bandwidth limitations as the main reason for less gains under Async Compute.

Computerbase had the perfect test case for this question but didn't made any comparisons in regards to Async Compute gains:
https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerbase.de%2F2016-08%2Famd-radeon-polaris-architektur-performance%2F&edit-text=

With the same number of ALUs and nearly the same bandwidth you could directly compare how the generations are doing under Async Compute and if a stronger Geometry-Frontend potentially limits the gains under Async Compute because there might be less idle-times if the Graphics-Pipeline is less of a bottleneck.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The game's mb was pretty subtle from what I remember. Rather, the blur / ghosting from the TAA was everywhere in every frame. Is that what you are seeing?
Yeah. The same thing I've seen in Rise of the Tomb Raider but thank god you can disable motion blur in this game.

Locuza

[...]
http://www112.zippyshare.com/v/Ijts5Qw7/file.html
Download this rar package, unpack and then copy all the files from the package where the "quantumbreak.exe" is, the folder where you installed QB, should be "SSD/HDD drive"/steam/steamapps/common/quantumbreak.
The on/off toggle should be the scroll-lock key.

knerl

The one thing I hate about this game right now is the damn stuttering. DX11, Steam version here.

Great framerates. 48min at 1080p w/o upscaling, ultra preset, geometry at ultra, but with forced or the standard game vsync it's horrible. Capping to 30 from the game is atrocious (gives me horrible input lag not seen in other games capped at 30.)
Only thing that works for me is to use 'fast' vsync from the drivers and capping to my min fps via rivatuner. Still the game behaves really strange. Sometimes just by looking at the display panel in the game it causes it to stutter. Alt-tab out and back in and it disappears (most of the time), but even when it's 'fixed' in due time it starts again sometimes. In some cases it happens when I change the video settings.

So yeah. Performance for me is good, but the stuttering needs to go.
GTX1070, 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Latest drivers.
While I do wish it gave me more frames I'm happy with the framerate considering how amazing the lighting is. Not to mention all the other effects.

Also. While running it in borderless windowed mode it forces it's own vsync on. Which it shouldn't. Other games run great because of borderless windowed utilizing the triple buffering and vsync found in Windows.

Also. While running it in borderless windowed mode it forces it's own vsync on. Which it shouldn't. Other games run great because of borderless windowed utilizing the triple buffering and vsync found in Windows.

Are you sure it's actually forcing its own vsync solution, and not just disabling the option because you're using Windows's vsync?

knerl

Are you sure it's actually forcing its own vsync solution, and not just disabling the option because you're using Windows's vsync?

If I have the game vsync set to off and enable borderless windowed it sets the vsync option to on. If I at that point switch it to off it automatically sets the game to exclusive fullscreen.

If I have the game vsync set to off and enable borderless windowed it sets the vsync option to on. If I at that point switch it to off it automatically sets the game to exclusive fullscreen.

The UI shows that vsync is on. You don't actually know what vsync it's referring to.

The devs might have decided to make the UI show "vsync on" in windowed mode to reflect the fact that disabling all forms of vsync is impossible in this mode—ie, you'll never see tearing.

knerl

The UI shows that vsync is on. You don't actually know what vsync it's referring to.

The devs might have decided to make the UI show "vsync on" in windowed mode to reflect the fact that disabling all forms of vsync is impossible in this mode—ie, you'll never see tearing.

Sure. It could be that way, but I doubt it since proper vsync at 144Hz coming from Windows via borderless windowed does NOT cause the framerate to lock itself to 30fps.
In no other game ever.

nomis

Damn, I was hoping my 1070 could get 1080p/60fps with upscaling off.

Heck I'd turn all other settings to low.

I have upscaling Off in 1080p with an EVGA 1070.

All settings High except model detail and textures on Ultra, also Antialiasing On.

I'm running consistent 60-70fps. Plays fantastically. The real frame rate killers at 1080p no upscaling are Ultra Volumetric Lighting, Ultra Shadow Resolution/Filtering. Thankfully I find they have nearing zero impact on visual fidelity, High on them has a satisfactory jump from Medium.

knerl

I have upscaling Off in 1080p with an EVGA 1070.

All settings High except model detail and textures on Ultra, also Antialiasing On.

I'm running consistent 60-70fps. Plays fantastically. The real frame rate killers at 1080p no upscaling are Ultra Volumetric Lighting, Ultra Shadow Resolution/Filtering. Thankfully I find they have nearing zero impact on visual fidelity, High on them has a satisfactory jump from Medium.

You haven't played very far have you?

Arkanius

Game is mostly at 50-60 FPS with 1440p Upscaling on and everything Ultra on a 980 Ti.
I'm very fine with the DX11 performance. The game is AMAZING visually and very impressive. Im taking down a few settings just to lock it perfectly at 60FPS + since I'm loving the gameplay and I want that pinpoint accuracy.

Bought the Steam version, but for some reason the only res I can choose is 720p? Any ini file I can force it to 1080p at? GTX 970 here.

Edit: Rebooting seemed to fix it.

I'm starting to think I have a problem with performance on my pc and I have only recently reformatted. Running a 980ti, 6600k, 16gb ram at 1440p. Everything set to low and I'm just about scraping 55fps now.

KageMaru

So what's the consensus if I already have the Windows 10 version? I got it for free, so I don't mind buying it on steam if you guys think the performance improvement is worth it.

So what's the consensus if I already have the Windows 10 version? I got it for free, so I don't mind buying it on steam if you guys think the performance improvement is worth it.

I think it depends on your GPU. A 970 your going to want to lock at 30fps so the better performance on DX11 might not be usable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gave it a crack, running native 1440p (no upscaling) and maxed out. 30 - 40 fps in the opening level on my 1080. Originally played it on my 980 Ti I think. Two things;

- Once the level loaded, and dicking around with settings, I turned upscaling back on then off again, and gained 10fps. Bug maybe?

- Out of curiosity, what kind of anti-aliasing solution is this using to stabilize the image even when AA is off? Noticed this in the way the engine seems to work; in motion no AA is active and jaggies are present, but as soon as you stop and the scene stabilizes some kind of AA kicks in that impressively solves aliasing.

Is there any actual logical reason why Remedy hasn't added DX12 to the Steam version, or DX11 to the Windows Store version? It just seems like a strange decision.

- Out of curiosity, what kind of anti-aliasing solution is this using to stabilize the image even when AA is off?
AA set to off only seems to affect transparencies. Check out the difference here. I think the game's AA option turns on A2C or TrSSAA, adding it to the MSAA. By Default the game runs with 4XMSAA that you cannot turn off.

- Noticed this in the way the engine seems to work; in motion no AA is active and jaggies are present, but as soon as you stop and the scene stabilizes some kind of AA kicks in that impressively solves aliasing.
That is the TAA / upscale, which are one and the same basically. You also cannot turn that off. It is combining 4 past frames to the current one. Hence why when you sit still you are getting effectively 4XSSAA on perfectly reprojected areas. Checkout hair though which seemingly runs at less than native resolution, that in motion looks decidedly lower resolution than your native res, yet cleans up when sitting still.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AA set to off only seems to affect transparencies. Check out the difference here. I think the game's AA option turns on A2C or TrSSAA, adding it to the MSAA. By Default the game runs with 4XMSAA that you cannot turn off.

That is the TAA / upscale, which are one and the same basically. You also cannot turn that off. It is combining 4 past frames to the current one. Hence why when you sit still you are getting effectively 4XSSAA on perfectly reprojected areas. Checkout hair though which seemingly runs at less than native resolution, that in motion looks decidedly lower resolution than your native res, yet cleans up when sitting still.

Love it, thank you. I do wish I could turn off the 4xMSAA. I feel that would fix a lot of the performance issues.

4jjiyoon

I think it depends on your GPU. A 970 your going to want to lock at 30fps so the better performance on DX11 might not be usable.

what? a 970 on high get's a fairly solid 60fps at 1080p. i've been playing it for 15 hours like that and it's almost perfect.

also if anyone is playing with a controller and constantly getting the mouse cursor popup in the center of the screen, download this and set the cursor to disappear after 2 seconds. works perfectly.

I'm getting over 60-100fps with High settings and upscaling on. With upscaling off, it drops to low 40s. (1080p resolution)

i7-4790K 4Ghz
16GB Ram
Geforce GTX 970 4GB

I can definitely notice the difference in image quality on my monitor between upscaling on and off. I'd rather play this on my projector since I'm not so close to the screen.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
what? a 970 on high get's a fairly solid 60fps at 1080p. i've been playing it for 15 hours like that and it's almost perfect.

also if anyone is playing with a controller and constantly getting the mouse cursor popup in the center of the screen, download this and set the cursor to disappear after 2 seconds. works perfectly.

This, GTX 970, all settings maxed out except for global illumination @ Medium & upscaling on nets me a locked 60 with little to no drops. One thing I will suggest is to turn the ingame v-sync off - it's garbage. Use Borderless Windowed instead.

I'm okay with the upscaling, but it is noticeable. Upscaling turned off causes way too much of a reduction in performance, and I much prefer the 60fps.

And thank you so much for the cursor thing, was driving me crazy since even if I moved the cursor to the edge, it would just start in the middle again.

nomis

You haven't played very far have you?

I have. Only used fraps to monitor for a little while though, for all I know I could now be getting dips to the 50's using time powers and gsync is just eating the noticeability really well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really expected to double dip considering the UWP version ran like total dogshit on my 970(and I stopped playing after an hour). Since upgrading to a 1080 recently that version now runs quite smoothly so not sure I need bother buying on Steam anymore. Not sure if the improvements are exclusively due to the card upgrade or patches released since launch, but I suppose I can finally experience this game proper on UWP.

Gitaroo

I'm getting over 60-100fps with High settings and upscaling on. With upscaling off, it drops to low 40s. (1080p resolution)

i7-4790K 4Ghz
16GB Ram
Geforce GTX 970 4GB

I can definitely notice the difference in image quality on my monitor between upscaling on and off. I'd rather play this on my projector since I'm not so close to the screen.

Same spec but Im not getting performance close to that.

Filben

do you have double buffered vsync on?
Not quite sure since I play in borderless window mode and the game always sets vsync "on" and switch to exclusive fullscreen when I switch vsync off.

Normally I would have it disabled in borderless window mode.

EDIT: Turns out it had an effect on the FPS. Exclusive fullscreen without any vsync, now. Updated screens are up.

PowerK

I don't understand the direction Remedy took in rendering technology and artistic approach.
Their so called "temporal reconstruction" (aka, upscaling) seems another way of saying we failed in optimization hence base resolution is 1280x720.

I bought a Steam version (DX11) on the weekend, I knew the game was a mess. But I wanted to check it out.
No matter upscaling is ON or OFF, the visual fidelity is blurry. Upscaling OFF actually does provide a cleaner look. Not much difference, however. (Unless you take a screenshot and do a ON/OFF comparison).
Upscaling on = blurry
Upscaling off = less blurry.

Lighting does look very impressive sometimes. Especially in time-laps scene with realtime lighting looks amazing.
Another thing I noticed was that this game showed one of the highest CPU utilization (hovers around 25~35% with 6950X overclocked to 4.4GHz with TITAN X Pascal SLI) I've seen in games. Those visual quantum effects with objects much hit hard on the CPU. (or is the game running in XBOX One emulation mode. :p)

sfried

Just wondering, for us AMD owners out there:

Is performance worse in DX11 mode? Will I be able to run this game at a smooth 60+ fps @ Ultra settings with:

Upscaling On?
Upscaling Off?
Shadows to second highest? (Usually a killer of performance)

...using an R9 Nano @ 1366x768? I was debating to myself if I should even upgrade my GPU to the 1070 (the only current high-end Nvidia card that has an ITX form-factor version), but its currently a little out of my budget atm.

Filben

Upscaling On?
Upscaling Off?
Shadows to second highest? (Usually a killer of performance)
The real performance killer here are upscaling off, volumetric lighting and reflections. Lowering these settings results in a huge FPS gain. I'd recommend to leave shadows as high as possible to increase depth and realism to scenes. Volumetric Lighting seems to be a very subtle effect on high settings and reflections are there when using the "medium" option but are slightly less in resolution than on higher settings.

60 fps should be possible, then. But keep upscaling on.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Am I the only one who experiencing slowdowns from time to time? And it's nothing like FPS drops or anything, no, FPS stays at 60 100% of the time with the Vsync on, but let's say you reading e-mails in the game or looking at the upgrade menu for 1 min or so and then when you going back to actual gameplay the game plays like it's stuttering, but not like the games usually stutter.... it's more like microstutters but you didn't feel them all that much and actually can play the game like that. Oh and when you Alt+Tab from the game and then resume playing, everything starting to run normal for some reason.

Uh, I'm sorry guys, don't know how to explain this in any other way.

sertopico

Which GPU do u have? Might be VRAM saturation. Had that issue also with my 980 Ti, I was forced to enable and disable upscaling multiple times before getting a playable (and for playable i mean little bit more than 30 lol) framerate again.

@PowerK: try to disable film grain to get a crisper look.

Top Bottom