• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

Trup1aya

Sure you can. Just remove the reconstruction shader and display the game in it's real rendering resolution. It's not as much "core" as you think. You'll be loosing some TAA which may be a part of the reconstruction shader at worst but this can be reimplemented back. What we have here looks just like a straight up XBO version of the game running on PC, it's not even a port.

Yeah, I know that they doesn't HAVE to use the same exact code for all versions but the ability to do it is presented as an advantage of the whole UWP platform by MS - which always smelled like bullshit to me because I really can't see any benefit for the end user in running the same code on smartphones, XBO and PCs. QB's PC version just illustrate the fundamental flaw of this idea very good.

The 'code once' mentality probably makes more for apps and smaller games than it does for AAA titles. And even if it did make sense for AAA, you'd want to lead on PC and scale downwards to other platforms.

KI being a technically less ambitious game, for example, it made the transition to PC pretty well. I'd imagine that games designed from the ground up to be multiplatform would also fair better, like future Forza games or Halo Wars 2.

This game, however, is clearly optimized for xb1 to begin with, and they had to pull off some technical wizardry to pull it off. So, I'd imagine it would take a tremendous amount of reworking to optimize it for PC.

Mifec

[IM]http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01995/way_1995400a.jpg[/IMG]

+

[IMGhttp://www.manutdupdates.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Juan_Mata.jpg[/IMG]

=

5-minutes-of-explosive-quantum-break-gameplay_v2ny.640.jpg

Or

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0039162/

sertopico

So there is no option to change the internal render resolution? At least they gave that opportunity on forza apex, as i noticed in the video settings... I really hope they will fix this, also because no modder can work on the game files. This is really bad.

riflen

kind of.....there is so much blur for 1440p shots

Would love to see digital foundry's analysis on it.

There's a good chance that FCAT is not compatible with QB PC build. I think Ashes of the Singularity is the only DX12 game that supports FCAT at the moment. If so, Digital Foundry probably wont have much to show you.

wtf.....is it just upscaling the image?

It is definitely not just upscaling the image. There's some details here that are far too fine to just have been upscaled.

Look at this shot again, make sure you have it full size:

http://s156232.gridserver.com/u/Screenshot_4.png

Note the lines of type on the paper in the cardboard box, and the lines between the papers in the binder. I lose those details even when I downscaled this screenshot to 960p. Doesn't mean that it isn't doing the reconstruction on something lower resolution however, but there are details in this that a simple upscale from 720p or 900p (or 960p if my guess of it doing the reconstruction on a resolution 2/3rds of your selected resolution is right) wouldn't have.

The line on the piece of cardboard resting against the table looks like a good candidate for pixel counting if anyone is game for it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What we need are some shots in motion. Just slightly move the camera up and down near a pixel counting ready edge and take some shots. That will reveal if the same reconstruction techniques are in action on PC.

kodecraft

This has to be a troll.

Yeah I was waiting to see if the game runs good since Remedy was a PC dev, the game apparently does not run fine, so I won't buy it.

Second time you state I'm a troll. How can I be.

Everyone on GAF isn't complaining about UWP. Even other PC gamers.

I'm here for the games and I like some other posters on GAF am interested in UWP.

No quit button? Oh that's UWP

Frame rate issues? Oh that's UWP

Game is not out yet? Oh that's UWP

Game sucks? Oh that's UWP, good job MS!

"I won't touch UWP with a 10 foot pole" *proceeds to lurk PC thread and stealth buys game*.

Just play the game y'all. I can't wait for this!

Trup1aya

Both MS and Remedy have specifically clarified that it is a separate code that you can for example give to your brother if you don't need it yourself. Obviously they wanted to use this to promote Windows Store and their plans for PC but, well, the Store just isn't ready for PC gaming purposes. Neither is UWP though, their timing is way off.

Oh, I'm actually impressed by the gesture if this is the case.

But yeah Definately premature...

I guess no one wants to buy my code then? :(

sorry but Nvidia global downsampling settings do not seem to apply to UWP for me... is this known?

and I gotta get ready for work

You have to go into nvidia control panel, and change the resolution to the DSR resoltuion you want on your dektop.. apply it. Then load up the game and hcange the resolution.

Yeah.. it is hella stupid.

nynt9

It should have been telling that MS didn't let anyone touch the PC version before release.

I'm here for the games and I like some other posters on GAF am interested in UWP.

"I won't touch UWP with a 10 foot pole" *proceeds to lurk PC thread and stealth buys game*.

Different people have different priorities. "Just play the game" is not welcome in a performance thread. If discussion about technical failings of a game upsets you, you're in the wrong thread.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

What are you trying to accomplish with this?
Are you calling the people not buyong the game because of UWP or other problems with the port for liars?

Mifec

I assume you're a troll because you post imbecilic things like this. I have not bought a single game from the windows store and I never said I wouldn't buy them. If a game is up to standard of course I'll buy it to support the devs and reward their effort, but so far none of them have been. I'm sorry that your mental faculties are not quite there and that it might be hard for you to get it. I'll gladly explain it as many times as you need it though.

holygeesus

Banned
So why are the maximum settings recommended specs so high again?

I'm amazed. I honestly thought this was going to be a nailed-on decent PC port.

Does it run fine at least?
Does forcing the aa from the nvidia control panel help? Apparently it helped in killerinstinct. As theres actually an exe for killer instinct.

Seriously what are you doing in a performance thread if you don't care about how it performs or the technical reasons why?

roytheone

I, for one, don't like shitty practices like bad ports and restrictive stuff like UWP. I will be voting with my wallet by not buying this game, or at least wait for a sale.

So why are the maximum settings recommended specs so high again?

I'm amazed. I honestly thought this was going to be a nailed-on decent PC port.

Being a remedy game, I am too atm at a loss for words.

We still need a lot more info regrading the settings and the exact nature of what is happening iwth the resolution.

Sadly, I think we will not know for a while still...

GHG

Gold Member

These PC performance threads are now turning into DF console wars threads. "Just play the game". Really?

Trup1aya

Uhhhh.....

Im talking about the PC version

Wasn't delayed long enough... Obviously.. Why else would the PC version be using the same reconstruction technique that the console used?

It's clear to me like they were more interested in a simultaneous launch than they were releasing the best PC port they could.

they should have just released each version when it was ready. PC version still isn't ready.

Mifec

We still need a lot more info regrading the settings and the exact nature of what is happening iwth the resolution.

That's what stings the most, I had hope for them to give us a quality product like always.

rashbeep

Banned
Bleh hope this is fixed/can be fixed. That image is way too soft and it looks like it has the same issues with LOD on the characters as the One version (unless it's the result of the poor IQ?)

RexNovis

Banned

Are you really spouting this bullshit in a performance thread? Stop it.

derFeef

The PC version is out, we just need a tech-savy person to try out settings and whatnot, not just take screenshots.

kodecraft

I assume you're a troll because you post imbecilic things like this. I have not bought a single game from the windows store and I never said I wouldn't buy them. If a game is up to standard of course I'll buy it to support the devs and reward their effort, but so far none of them have been. I'm sorry that your mental faculties are not quite there and that it might be hard for you to get it. I'll gladly explain it as many times as you need it though.

Just say you don't agree with my opinion that's it. You're not saying anything over my head. Keep it real.

Common sense would tell anyone, that if a port is good then you just can't pass up a good game regardless of platform.

Let's just not shit on something because it's different, has some current issues, and you "can't see what the future is" for the platform.

This isn't all directed at you dude. I'm in this thread for the performance reports.

Back on topic.

As i said earlier has anyone tried forcing aa from the nvidia control panel? It seemed to help in killer instinct, but killer instinct had an exe. Which i assume isnt normal for ump.

ramshot

Bought and downloading. I'm a fan of Remedy and from Finland, so I'm just going to put aside my feelings about UWP and the price tag and bite the bullet.

Should be here within 20 minutes and the first thing I'm going to do is compare performance/VRAM usage between resolutions to figure out whether it's really upscaled or if NeoGAF is, as one has come to expect, jumping to conclusions again. :)

So, the performance is good, but they are utilizing a similar rendering technique to XB1? These performance threads get more and more useless every time and get way off topic. Twitch footage I've seen looks to run pretty well, but most of those people have beefy cards. I suppose it's too early to ask if anyone with a more mid/low range card has tried it (2GB).

Bought and downloading. I'm a fan of Remedy and from Finland, so I'm just going to put aside my feelings about UWP and the price tag and bite the bullet.

Should be here within 20 minutes and the first thing I'm going to do is compare performance/VRAM usage between resolutions to figure out whether it's really upscaled or if NeoGAF is, as one has come to expect, jumping to conclusions again. :)
Thanks!

Well thats nice. This will be my first ump purchase. But going to wait for the price to come down, australian game prices are ridiculous.

It's ridiculous everywhere else as well (except for American dollars which is normal $60, I guess).

No regional pricing this time as well for Indonesian Windows store, almost $20 price difference with RotTR.

Show us AA on and off if you can

One simple request that no one has been able to comply with

dr_rus

The 'code once' mentality probably makes more for apps and smaller games than it does for AAA titles. And even if it did make sense for AAA, you'd want to lead on PC and scale downwards to other platforms.

KI being a technically less ambitious game, for example, it made the transition to PC pretty well. I'd imagine that games designed from the ground up to be multiplatform would also fair better, like future Forza games or Halo Wars 2.

This game, however, is clearly optimized for xb1 to begin with, and they had to pull off some technical wizardry to pull it off. So, I'd imagine it would take a tremendous amount of reworking to optimize it for PC.

Well, yeah, for a PC version of some Fruit Ninja title this UWP thing may be ideal but this is hardly what we all mean when we're talking about PC gaming, isn't it? MS is going off a flawed idea that you can produce a hardcore AAA game which will be equally enjoyable on all platforms spectrum without any platform specific customizations - while I struggle to think of any successful examples here. UWP may be a good thing for indies (even though I question the rationale behind this as arguably indies are better off with Steam as a platform on PC in any case) but for big AAA games the whole premise of the "universal app" idea is flawed.

RexNovis

Banned
Just say you don't agree with my opinion that's it. You're not saying anything over my head. Keep it real.

Common sense would tell anyone, that if a port is good then you just can't pass up a good game regardless of platform.

Let's just not shit on something because it's different, has some current issues, and you "can't see what the future is" for the platform.

This isn't all directed at you dude. I'm in this thread for the performance reports.

Back on topic.

You came into a thread labeled "PC Performance thread" spouting your "who cares just play the games guyz" crap. Take that shit elsewhere. It's in direct opposition to the whole reason for this thread existence. It has no place whatsoever here.

Figments

Well thats nice. This will be my first ump purchase. But going to wait for the price to come down, australian game prices are ridiculous.

IIRC, you can switch the region of the Windows Store to get a better price, though I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

On topic: can someone give me the setup ranges for being able to run this game at, at the very least, 30 FPS. Not the minspec, something more concrete, based on user experience.

Putting aside money for a gaming PC and it'd be nice to know I'd be able to run this in the future if I wanted.

GHG

Gold Member

Back on topic.

No need to lie to us. You've already made it pretty clear that that's not the reason you're here.

Top Bottom