• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

Peterthumpa

Boy, this game is just beautiful downsampled from 4k. That frame pacing though...ugh.

Finally got to try it.

All gameplay, no cutscenes.

03jcjo8.png

04ukkc5.png

055uklx.png

08v4jal.png

10aajk8.png

Is it playable at that resolution? What hardware?

shandy706

Is it playable at that resolution? What hardware?

If you consider 20fps and stuttering playable...haha

OC i7 920/980Ti Classified/12GB Ram

I beat Act 2 on Hard without dying, lol. (Note:I've put over 25 hours into the X1 version)

The game is crazy good looking, and everything...I mean EVERYTHING reacts/reflects/bounces light in the environments. Looks insane.

I hope they patch this so I can pull a locked framerate @ some level of downsample.

Isn't what the game looks like at 4K roughly equivalent to what it should look like at 1080p if this game had had a proper PC port and it didn't use an upscaling solution designed for a console?

holygeesus

Banned
We are still waiting for a patch. Probably it has to get "certified".

I'd think it would be longer than people might think. I hear rumours that it will turn up sometime in May to correlate with Microsoft removing some of the limitations of the UWP experience.

SimplexPL

Let's hope your predictions are wrong, and we get it earlier. It would suck to have to wait so long for the patch. I got the game on release (cheap PC code from a friend who preordered on Xbox) but I am not touching the game until the frame pacing issues are fixed.

Isn't what the game looks like at 4K roughly equivalent to what it should look like at 1080p if this game had had a proper PC port and it didn't use an upscaling solution designed for a console?
No it would be 1440p in this case.

You are both wrong, I think. According to my calculations, the game is upscaled from 1080p at 2880x1620 resolution.

Remedy themselves said that the "source" resolution is 2/3 of the final resolution. So you need to multiply the "source" resolution by 1.5 to get the final resolution.

1280*1.5=1920
720*1.5=1080

1920*1.5=2880
1080*1.5=1620

Trup1aya

Boy, this game is just beautiful downsampled from 4k. That frame pacing though...ugh.

Finally got to try it.

All gameplay, no cutscenes.

03jcjo8.png

04ukkc5.png

055uklx.png

08v4jal.png

10aajk8.png

My god that looks good. Shame they didn't take the time needed for a smooth release.

I'd think it would be longer than people might think. I hear rumours that it will turn up sometime in May to correlate with Microsoft removing some of the limitations of the UWP experience.

That's dumb if true. UWP currently doesn't support SLI or crossfire, but that has nothing to do with frame pacing issues or upscaling solution.
or the lack of option to quit from menu

They should release a patch ASAP, and address any UWP changes when the time comes

sertopico

Let's hope your predictions are wrong, and we get it earlier. It would suck to have to wait so long for the patch. I got the game on release (cheap PC code from a friend who preordered on Xbox) but I am not touching the game until the frame pacing issues are fixed.

You are both wrong, I think. According to my calculations, the game is upscaled from 1080p at 2880x1620 resolution.

Remedy themselves said that the "source" resolution is 2/3 of the final resolution. So you need to multiply the "source" resolution by 1.5 to get the final resolution.

1280*1.5=1920
720*1.5=1080

1920*1.5=2880
1080*1.5=1620
Ok, but if you select 4K in the video settings you get 2560x1440:

3840/1,5=2560
2160/1,5=1440

So, the second statement is right.

shandy706

(snip)

1920*1.5=2880
1080*1.5=1620

Hmmm, I may move down to that to play the game this weekend some. I went straight to 4k as I wasn't sure what the scale was. I just wish the patch would hurry up. This is one of the best looking games on PC (or anything lighting wise) to date, but it would be nice to play it where you can appreciate it.

SimplexPL

You can also try setting 1440p, this way the base resolution will be 1706x960, which is not that far from 1080p.

Ok, but if you select 4K in the video settings you get 2560x1440:

3840/1,5=2560
2160/1,5=1440

So, the second statement is right.

Right, I misunderstood. I thought he meant that by setting 1440p res ingame you will get upscale from 1080p.

holygeesus

Banned
OK, I have discovered a tactic to massively improve performance on my system, and I can't for the life of me figure out why, but I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else, but hey YMMV

So, load your game up - go into video settings and turn off 'Full Screen Mode' - obviously you then start playing in a window, but I noticed it was a hell of a lot more smoother for me.

I then turned back on 'Full Screen Mode' and the smoothness remained! No more choppy cut-scenes and the FMV live-action stuff doesn't chug any more. How bizarre!

It's not perfect but it is so, so much more playable now.

Daingurse

OK, I have discovered a tactic to massively improve performance on my system, and I can't for the life of me figure out why, but I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else, but hey YMMV

So, load your game up - go into video settings and turn off 'Full Screen Mode' - obviously you then start playing in a window, but I noticed it was a hell of a lot more smoother for me.

I then turned back on 'Full Screen Mode' and the smoothness remained! No more choppy cut-scenes and the FMV live-action stuff doesn't chug any more. How bizarre!

I'll try this out when I get home. Anything to get better performance lol.

Probably because reverting back to fullscreen puts the game on 1280x720.

It did for me. Changing to "Windowed" put the game into a small window, reverting back to fullscreen set the resolution to 1280x720.

That's so weird, when reverting back from windowed to fullscreen on my PC the game sets its resolution to 1680×1050, even though I have a 16:9 monitor...

Frozone

If you consider 20fps and stuttering playable...haha

OC i7 920/980Ti Classified/12GB Ram

I beat Act 2 on Hard without dying, lol. (Note:I've put over 25 hours into the X1 version)

The game is crazy good looking, and everything...I mean EVERYTHING reacts/reflects/bounces light in the environments. Looks insane.

I hope they patch this so I can pull a locked framerate @ some level of downsample.

Yeap, no game can match it right now. And from the looks of future games, doesn't look like they will match it either.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeap, no game can match it right now. And from the looks of future games, doesn't look like they will match it either.

I respectfully disagree. It's certainly a looker, one of the best out there, in fact. But unmatched (and to remain unmatched)? No way.

Frozone

I respectfully disagree. It's certainly a looker, one of the best out there, in fact. But unmatched (and to remain unmatched)? No way.

Well, I'm not saying remain unmatched indefinitely. It's just that from what I've seen for the rest of 2016 doesn't seem to include those "ingredients" that put this game graphically above the rest. The physically plausible lighting/GI/occlusion seems to be the hallmark of this game and gives it the edge other games are lacking.

For example in this image:

03jcjo8.png

Everything down to the smallest objects have self-occlusion and shadowing even when not directly lit. It makes the game almost look ray-traced. Even the cameras on the ceiling and the chairs next to the desk or the drawer handles all look "planted" as they should as opposed to have a hard edge with no shadowing making the objects appear "pasted" in space somewhere. No other game captures this occlusion so well.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Well, I'm not saying remain unmatched indefinitely. It's just that from what I've seen for the rest of 2016 doesn't seem to include those "ingredients" that put this game graphically above the rest. The physically plausible lighting/GI/occlusion seems to be the hallmark of this game and gives it the edge other games are lacking.

For example in this image:

03jcjo8.png

Everything down to the smallest objects have self-occlusion and shadowing even when not directly lit. It makes the game almost look ray-traced. Even the cameras on the ceiling and the chairs next to the desk or the drawer handles all look "planted" as they should as opposed to have a hard edge with no shadowing making the objects appear "pasted" in space somewhere. No other game captures this occlusion so well.

Yes, it does a lot of things well, but it also falters in crucial places, like IQ. Even some of the textures are awfully flat when viewed up close, which can make for a, sometimes, jarring experience.

Not trying to take anything from it, but to me, calling it unmatched (and saying it will remain so) is far-fetched. There are other games soon to release that are above it. No need to crap on this topic by mentioning anything specific, however. That's just how I see it.

holygeesus

Banned
Probably because reverting back to fullscreen puts the game on 1280x720.

Nah it's definitely 1080p. I figured out in the end it seems to be a mouse v controller thing. If I disable my controller, the frame rate is insane - turn the controller back on, it shits the bed again. I have no idea why. I just wish I could play these games with a mouse! Either way it's uninstalled now as I completed it finally yesterday. Fun game but an utter flustercluck on PC.

Frozone

Yes, it does a lot of things well, but it also falters in crucial places, like IQ. Even some of the textures are awfully flat when viewed up close, which can make for a, sometimes, jarring experience.

Not trying to take anything from it, but to me, calling it unmatched (and saying it will remain so) is far-fetched. There are other games soon to release that are above it. No need to crap on this topic by mentioning anything specific, however. That's just how I see it.

I would love to know which games actually. Because all the ones I've seen won't have this kind of lighting. Also, yea, we can find low res textures in just about every game if you move the camera close enough.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I would love to know which games actually. Because all the ones I've seen won't have this kind of lighting. Also, yea, we can find low res textures in just about every game if you move the camera close enough.

Nah, it's best to keep it about Quantum (this is a performance thread, after all). Let's just say that I don't agree with your assessment and leave it there.

w0s

I booted this up for the first time today 980ti 16gb i56600k. I was waiting for the patch but after finishing dark souls I just needed something to play. I haven't really had a bad time with frame rate (hour in and the first minute or so was the only time I really noticed it being jerky) but man on man even at the highest resolution the blurry background just sucks. Everything is beautiful when up close but sometimes the back is just awful.

That said when the whole screen is doing the time ripple and shit is going on it is a ton of fun.

noomi

If they actually fix this mess of a PC release, I might pick it up.

Just wish it wasn't on the win store :|

shandy706

Nah, it's best to keep it about Quantum (this is a performance thread, after all). Let's just say that I don't agree with your assessment and leave it there.

I've yet to see any game that has you, the environment, and the lighting affect nearly every object in a scene on the level that QB does.

A random glass on a table, a doorknob in a back room, or the top of a table in a lab.

Every single one of the above from the floor to the ceiling reacts to you, the NPCs, the lighting. You can see your face, your hands, your gun, effects, reflecting in a cup on a table...a glossy table-top reflects light and objects on it...a metal table will reflect your arm (distorting it with the grain) as it passes near it.

I've never seen anything like it in anything that is coming or that I've played in the past.

Show me (even a video) of another game doing that. I'd agree with the other guy...there's a reason they had to build this game like they did for the X1. I don't think the technical side of it has been really explored like it needs to be.

I was watching X-Files last night and noticed that the way the people in an elevator appear on the metal of the doors and sides matched the way entering an elevator in QB looks.

tioslash

i meant more of the major technical issues. i dont expect actual framerates to improve, and id even be surprised if framepacing improves

Well, but if actual framerates and more importantly, frame pacing does not improve with this patch, what other major technical issues do you mean?

I was under the impression that poor performance even on capable hardware and terrible frame pacing were the biggest issues on the PC version atm.

Top Bottom