• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Conundrum |OT| A game made by Kim Swift - lead designer on Portal 1

MRORANGE

ibgAO5xYhVsvt1.png

ibdgSVkXineBY9.png

Steam : 21st June
PSN: July 10
XBLA: July 11

Developed by Airtight Games
Published by Square Enix
Official website

pre-order on Steam and get bonus items in TF2: The Atomic Accolade,The Quadwrangler, The Professor's Pineapple

i0Y52Z5NB0oAF.png

When you, as a young boy, are dropped off to visit your uncle, you notice something’s wrong. First, he’s not there to greet
you. Second, there’s the explosion that happened right as you arrived. And third, the house seems to be even weirder than
you remembered it. Now, your job is to find—and ultimately rescue—your uncle, by using his newest invention, the
Interdimensional Shift Device (or IDS), to switch between dimensions and solve puzzles. That sofa too heavy to move?
There’s a dimension for that! Switch to Fluffy Dimension and that sofa is now light as a feather. Need to get up to a high l
edge? There’s a dimension for that! Just switch to Anti-Gravity Dimension and things begin to float upward. Need to make
things heavier? There’s a dimension for th—well, you get the idea. Switch dimensions in real time, work your way through
the crazy complex mansion wings and rescue your uncle!

ibxYrQqY5rrpEb.jpg

iS2dZim8n5nyj.png

Kim Swift originally worked on Narbacular Drop, Valve later hired the development team who worked on Narbacular Drop
and went on to develop Portal, Kim acted as a lead designer on the Portal project. In 2009 Kim left Valve and was hired by
Airtight Games, the studio announced Quantum Conundrum in 2011. It's rumoured that this game is a spiritual successor of
how Kim wanted Portal 2 to turn out, however there is very little evidence about this, the only real info comes from "The Final
Hours Of Portal" which mentions Kim's idea to integrate time with portals. As mentioned in several articles Kim likes to
make puzzle/physics games so this is just a puzzle game built from scratch with no relation to Portal.

ig4KU5rohnNEh.jpg

ib1u2kXEb6IDiw.png

- Quantum Conundrum E3 2012 Trailer
- Quantum Conundrum: Video Preview
- Quantum Conundrum With Kim Swift Gameplay Demo
- Time - Quantum Conundrum Fun with Physic Video

ib0sg7TB1NiNdk.png

Rock, Paper, Shotgun:
Minute to minute over the last couple of days, my opinion towards Quantum Conundrum has changed dramatically.
Moments after thinking “yes, this is smart and charming” I’d be wishing the most awful suffering upon its creators.

Kotaku:
Perhaps Quantum Conundrum's greatest quality is this: While playing through the eight or nine hours it took me to finish,
I was at times frustrated, annoyed, and even a little infuriated. But I never stopped smiling.

Destructroid: 10/10
This game is amazing, and I would gladly pay forty bucks for it. It almost seems wrong to enjoy a $15 title this much.
Quantum Conundrum has more polish and charm than most full-price retail releases.

GamesRadar: 9/10
If you had even a passing enjoyment with the Portal games, or any of the recent influx of indie puzzle-platformers,
we can’t recommend Quantum Conundrum enough.

Wired: 9/10
A novel and original concept, executed cleanly and with style — in short, the ideal to which videogames should aspire.

GameInformer: 8.5/10
Serious puzzle fans will be happy with some of the late-game challenges, which require thinking outside the box.

Games(TM): 8/10
Conundrum finds the antithesis of GLaDOS but none of the charm. With a sharper wit to match the sophistication of
the puzzle design, this jaunty adventure could have been a new dimension.

Machinima: 8/10
Here and there poorly designed puzzles with throw you for a loop not because they’re too mentally taxing but
because they require precise platforming which is both rarely fun in a first-person game.

IGN: 8/10
Quantum Conundrum's inventive puzzles put your brain to satisfying work. Everything surrounding the challenges feels
a little empty and could use some of the rest of the game’s ingenuity.

GameTrailers: 7.9/10
With several dozen scenarios on offer, it’ll certainly keep you busy if you’ve got a hankering for transdimensional
brain-teasers.

GameSpot: 7.5/10
It doesn't always play to its strengths, but the clever ideas and confounding brainteasers of Quantum Conundrum make
it a mostly enjoyable journey.

Joystiq: 7/10
If you can ignore the jarring, clipped dialogue and attempted story, play Quantum Conundrum to enjoy the tranquility of
practiced physics – tranquility that may frustrate you to the point of destroying a beautiful keyboard.

GameSpy: 7/10
There's no disputing that Quantum Conundrum has some great ideas here, and perhaps it's even something this
creative team can build upon.

ibuNqm2Gb6JSmd.png

Game will have DLC down the line, offers season pass to two DLC packs.

Game has been patched with options for FOV, Motion Blur, Bloom, Resolution/window support :

Thoraxes

Woah, it feels like just yesterday we were hearing about how this game's mechanics work.

I had no idea it was so soon. Looking forward to this.

Salsa

They really need to stop marketing this as "from a creator of Portal" since every aspect of it besides a "cool new mechanic" will hardly be able to even compete with something like Portal from the looks of it (specially, of course, the writing).

Still eager to try it out, but stuff like that critter.. thing and all that sort of humor feels like its gonna get tiresome fast.

quantum-290x290.gif

It's as if DreamWorks animation made a Portal game

edit: really love the OP btw, straight to the point and pretty

MRORANGE

I was wondering where this thread was, just vanished for me, oh well.

They have market this as "from the creator of Portal"?

Or is that all anyone can latch onto from the press and forums?

the latter.

They really need to stop marketing this as "from a creator of Portal" since every aspect of it besides a "cool new mechanic" will hardly be able to even compete with something like Portal from the looks of it (specially, of course, the writing).

edit: really love the OP btw, straight to the point and pretty

yeah i should probably get rid of it, oh and thanks !

StuBurns

Banned
I'm unreasonably excited for this game. There was a new interview on Gametrailers the other day, it showed some very cool footage.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm interested in this as the concept is fascinating but many people have indicated that the trimmings surrounding the gameplay are rather dull. I never expected them to match Valve in that regard, but I was hoping they would at least get reasonably close.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My anticipation for this has been growing exponentially each day since its Steam Store page went live. I bought the Season Pass Edition, so I'm hoping the future DLC is something of substance.

Edit: Any word on campaign length?

MRORANGE

My anticipation for this has been growing exponentially each day since its Steam Store page went live. I bought the season pass, so I'm hoping the future DLC is something of substance.

Edit: Any word on campaign length?

longer than portal 1, not sure but 4-5 hours if I recall.

You had me at Portal. Preordering on Steam at this very moment. It helps that I'm building a new PC within a few days, and I'll actually have something that can play things very nicely! .....or at all, really

I'm sure the 360 achievements had been released, 400/400 gamerscore of course. Reckon it will be August at earliest, i couldn't wait that long to play it and already pre ordered when it appeared. Will be playing soon.

Preorder accomplished. Thanks GAF! This may be the first game I've pre-ordered and known nothing about it. I read the OP, and that's it. I've heard the name, knew it has something to do with a ex-portal team member, and bam! Preorder! Didn't watch a trailer, look at other screenshots, nuthin!

Randdalf

There are no job titles at Valve according to that handbook, so how can she be the lead designer of Portal...? Neat looking game in any case.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
There are no job titles at Valve according to that handbook, so how can she be the lead designer of Portal...? Neat looking game in any case.

They have project leads for each project.

Also, the Internet latched on to the fact that she was a female and completely forgot about the 6 people who built Narbarcular Drop and were hired by Valve. Jeep Barnett who came from the same team was technically the "project lead" for Portal 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think Swift had anything to do with the aesthetics of Portal so that's an unfair expectation. Valve houses a god-like art direction team and this is... Airtight.
I wasn't expecting her to bring that to the table, rather, I was hoping the rest of the team would aim a bit higher. Not suggesting that they copy Valve's aesthetic, but what they DID come up with isn't all that attractive. :\

Guri

Looking forward to that. It is also fantastic technically, because the game has to handle with 4 different art assets in the hardware memory, and it still looks rather nice.

From a gameplay perspective, it is different than anything else, and I love puzzle games, so I already pre-ordered on Steam.

Portal is one of my games of this GEN. This game looks really interesting.

WHAT TO DO

It's $13.49 on Steam right now, not really a major investment.

I'm looking forward to it, but perplexed about it's Thursday release date. Why doesn't it come out today (Tuesday) like every other game?

I wish Square was not forcing the Portalness so much in marketing. The game looks interesting, but it is not Portal, in fact tieing it to Portal in making me look at the many thing the game does not have, and in almost making feel the game lacking even though it is still a very interesting puzzler

It's both sad and fortunate at the same time that Kim Swift will never be able to shake off her connection to Valve and Portal.

Game looks great aside from the rather generic artstyle but I'll still hold out.

commissar

I preordered it, but got the normal one instead of the DLC thing.

Hopefully it's good, the latest trailer dulled my interest a fair bit.

the lack of hype this game gets really makes me really sad. we have a ton of posts moaning at the current state of videogames. but when a gem like this comes out no one seems to care.

TGMIII

Oh god, I really didn't want to buy that at launch. ..but your post.. ..and those TF2 items that I'll never use..

I will do you a huge favour and take them off your hands for free. I know, no need to thank me.

The game looks great but as much as I want it I've got so much other stuff I've not played. I guess I'll see what the general perception is when it launches and if it's good across the board I'll bite.

Fabrik

Banned
One of the few indie games I'm really interested about. Not a small/nice/little/arcade diversion like a lot of stuff seen on XBLA or PSN.

Top Bottom