• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Conundrum |OT| A game made by Kim Swift - lead designer on Portal 1

Why would he have a 720p option if it's a 1080p monitor? Unless he wants a windowed option.

And 60-to-30 bouncing is classic vsync, possibly. It's an UE3 game, right? You might be able to turn vsync off via the config files if they didn't encrypt or lock them.

The bouncing isn't really that noticeable in gameplay for me but it might give others problems. It does look like vsynch is on.

The resolution changing is annoying since it has no drop down and changes res for each option. So there might be a 720p option for my monitor but with no obvious window mode and the black bars and weird scaling I get from my monitor I guess it wouldn't be much use to me. But my TV is 720p and I sometimes play on that.

Spoo

So far this is in-between Portal 1 and 2 for me in a lot of ways. It's not going to hit the plateau that Portal 2 did (at least, highly unlikely), but at the price point, length, relative fun factor of the levels, and John de Lancie being John de Lancie, this is good stuff.

Anyone expecting Portal 3, or even competition for Portal 2, are not approaching this correctly.

edit: It's funny, I think Dear Esther cost, what, just 5 bucks less than this, and was a 1 hour piece of shit "game" peeps thought was all edgy and "mature", and yet this is 15 bawks for a 10 hour product? That's how to be fair to a consumer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
edit: It's funny, I think Dear Esther cost, what, just 5 bucks less than this, and was a 1 hour piece of shit "game" peeps thought was all edgy and "mature", and yet this is 15 bawks for a 10 hour product? That's how to be fair to a consumer.

i2K9zlB74U2nR.gif

So far this is in-between Portal 1 and 2 for me in a lot of ways. It's not going to hit the plateau that Portal 2 did (at least, highly unlikely), but at the price point, length, relative fun factor of the levels, and John de Lancie being John de Lancie, this is good stuff.

Anyone expecting Portal 3, or even competition for Portal 2, are not approaching this correctly.

Sure, but it'd be nice if the PC port wasn't hot garbage.

Wikzo

I got kinda stuck shortly after the I received
the heavy dimension

See picture here.

The professor says something about the number 3. I need to get a couple of boxes stabled on top of each other, so they can block the blue laser beam. Problem is the fan. I have tried to put to boxes on top of each other and then slowly pushed them forward, but the fan always messes it up. Have also tried throwing them randomly (while switching between the dimensions) and almost got it, but this doesn't seem to be the correct solution.

Any help? :)

dosh

Yeah. The narration and poor attempts to be funny have kind of unsold me on this. Puzzles look neat though :)

That's about it. The voice acting really annoys me the most: I don't hear a character, just an actor playing his lines.

It's just a bit sad everybody is going to compare the game to Portal, and realize that when you don't have the narration, writing and voice acting of Portal, you just don't have Portal.

It's sad because overall it's a really nice game: sweet visuals, fun and solid gameplay, and the puzzles are really cool to solve (one near the end of the first level really got me :
the one where you have to alley-oop batteries :D
).

the heavy dimension

You have to
switch to fluffy, and use the fan to stack the boxes horizontally until they block the laser beam

the heavy dimension

See picture here.

The professor says something about the number 3. I need to get a couple of boxes stabled on top of each other, so they can block the blue laser beam. Problem is the fan. I have tried to put to boxes on top of each other and then slowly pushed them forward, but the fan always messes it up. Have also tried throwing them randomly (while switching between the dimensions) and almost got it, but this doesn't seem to be the correct solution.

You can't fight against what the fan does to the boxes but your idea that you need to stack boxes to break the blue beam is correct.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely a solid game. Actually, a really solid and interesting game.

However, as others have noted, the atmosphere, voice acting, and music are all highly unappealing to me. I mean, the world they've built just holds no appeal at all. The music is incredibly...dull, the whole blueprint scheme is ugly, and the voice acting is quite boring.

The game still works in spite of these issues, thankfully, but it really does highlight just how important those aspects are. I didn't expect Portal, but I was hoping for something else. Even the plot-less Qube had a much more intriguing atmosphere and that took place entirely within white, featureless rooms.

I do appreciate how the game is continuous. Unlike Portal, which was hampered by Source, they can actually stream level data without taking control away meaning that you are never pulled from the game. Portal 2 was pretty awful in this regard with loading screens popping up on a near constant basis (especially early on).

Sure, but it'd be nice if the PC port wasn't hot garbage.
I'ma go ahead and suggest that it's a problem on your end. Game runs flawlessly for me. Perfect 60 fps outside of very minor hitches that appear ONLY when you are in a transition room.

epmode

If case you haven't noticed yet, you can change resolution manually by finding the DefaultEngine.ini file in <Steam>\steamapps\common\Quantum Conundrum\TryGame\Config

Change setx and sety under [SystemSettings] to whatever your monitor supports. My higher resolution is working fine.

Does anyone know how to change the FOV? I can't remember how to do that in UE3 games.

I'ma go ahead and suggest that it's a problem on your end. Game runs flawlessly for me. Perfect 60 fps outside of very minor hitches that appear ONLY when you are in a transition room.

I just started playing it and this is the same for me. Start in 1920x1080 too, so no issues there.

dark10x

If it's a problem on my end (which I doubt, given my hardware), it'd sure be nice if I could tailor the game to try and fix the problem:
The jumping framerate wouldn't be fixed by altering settings. It's not that the game is too demanding or anything. There IS something with your PC which is causing troubles for the game. That's just how it is and it sucks.

Doesn't mean the port is completely rotten or anything.

I mean, what exactly would you tweak in the options menu that you think would fix the problem? The problem needs to be fixed outside of the game.

Uriah

I've only played the game briefly, but I did notice some stuttering when transitioning to a different area.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

The hitching is inexcusable. Apart from that, no graphics options, resolutions not being picked up properly, mouse smoothing, shitty FOV that seemingly can't be changed, no quick saving... this is not what I would call a good PC port by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe she was just not interested in working on another Portal, which I could understand.

Then why turn around and make a game that is so similar?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Game seems to change its fps cap on the fly. If you're getting <60, it caps at 30. At 60 it bumps back up to 60.

That's ghetto v-sync implementation which can be fixed by using an external method for capping fps. Assassin's Creed games do that so I do everything through D3Doverrider.

Wikzo

You have to
switch to fluffy, and use the fan to stack the boxes horizontally until they block the laser beam
Thanks. Quite a clever puzzle, although I would have liked if it made it more clear that my other attempt (aka stacking the boxes on top of each other, vertically, and then slowly pushing) was incorrect. I mean, there was a small chance that my solution would work, which meant I totally did not see the "out of the box" solution to the puzzle.

I'm really liking the puzzles, up to level 10. And the science humor, since I'm in the field :p

Is it really 8 hours? Never heard of a puzzle game that long.

dark10x

The hitching is inexcusable. Apart from that, no graphics options, resolutions not being picked up properly, mouse smoothing, shitty FOV that seemingly can't be changed, no quick saving... this is not what I would call a good PC port by any stretch of the imagination.
The FOV and mouse smoothing certainly don't seem like issues to me (as I would use them the way they are anyways). The lack of graphics options doesn't seem like a big deal here either as there isn't much that they could cut to make it run smoother. I'm not sure what the deal is with resolution selection but it doesn't seem to effect everyone (that's definitely something that needs to be addressed).

The hitching that occurs between loading points is completely excusable as that's simply how UE3 works on the PC. ALL UE3 games exhibit this.

Now, if you're seeing hitching outside of that, well, I don't know what to say. :\

Is it really 8 hours? Never heard of a puzzle game that long.
Portal 2? Honestly, I'm not sure they could keep this game going for 8 hours if it doesn't change radically. Portal 2 had very distinct acts which allowed its increased length to work.

dosh

Definitely a solid game. Actually, a really solid and interesting game.

However, as others have noted, the atmosphere, voice acting, and music are all highly unappealing to me. I mean, the world they've built just holds no appeal at all. The music is incredibly...dull, the whole blueprint scheme is ugly, and the voice acting is quite boring.

The voice doesn't really get better, only less anoying. But the music can win one over after some time (the 2d level tune is pretty nice for instance).
And as you said the gameplay is solid and the game is fun. It gets really great later on. And I really like how they introduce each dimension.

Thanks. Quite a clever puzzle, although I would have liked if it made it more clear that my other attempt (aka stacking the boxes on top of each other, vertically, and then slowly pushing) was incorrect. I mean, there was a small chance that my solution would work, which meant I totally did not see the "out of the box" solution to the puzzle.

I found that in games like this, a good way of spotting a wrong solution is to go by its "flow". If it seems a bit painful or troublesome, or not really in tune with the rest of the game, there's generally something wrong. Most of these puzzles have to offer a nice and fluid solution.

The FOV and mouse smoothing certainly don't seem like issues to me (as I would use them the way they are anyways). The lack of graphics options doesn't seem like a big deal here either as there isn't much that they could cut to make it run smoother. I'm not sure what the deal is with resolution selection but it doesn't seem to effect everyone (that's definitely something that needs to be addressed).

The hitching that occurs between loading points is completely excusable as that's simply how UE3 works on the PC. ALL UE3 games exhibit this.

So your response basically boils down to "I don't care about these things so it's not a bad port"? I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that.

etiolate

Banned
Having fun so far. The humor is more cute funny than the portal humor. There are similarities between the games, as the switches and box-on-switch stuff is quite alike. There are some timing puzzles here and there, and the room I'm in right now looks to be a tough timed puzzle that involves switching back and forth between fluffy and hard zone to survive a room of lasers.

I tried taking a screenshot of this painting of a biker guy and his slave cat but screenshots don't seem to be working.

etiolate

Banned
the heavy dimension

See picture here.

Three safes is the answer as is the general concept that you're doing, but
stack them in a different way. Instead of stacking them vertically, use the wall behind the lasers.

The FOV and mouse smoothing certainly don't seem like issues to me (as I would use them the way they are anyways). The lack of graphics options doesn't seem like a big deal here either as there isn't much that they could cut to make it run smoother.

Texture size, FOV, lighting options, FXAA (I know it's UE3 so they can be excused for now AA, I suppose), AF... I dunno, anything and everything that most other UE3 games offer? Regardless of whether or not the performance issues are strictly hardware related (they're probably not), this port is bare-bones in the worst way and there's really no way to excuse that.

I'd like to play this game, but I can't even get through the great hall. The game feels like it's running on elastic bands.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's really enjoyable so far.

I love the Portal scaffolding.

jediyoshi

Personality aside, I'm having fun so far. I think the dimension shifting really clicked in for me when
you first figure out how to break glass with safes
. Real satisfying. I like that there's moving puzzles and a good bit of straight up platforming.

Not being able to exit in the pause menu = boo. Wish there was a zoom and they did more with the HUD. Didn't realize until maybe a half hour in that the crosshair indicates whether you're picking something up or not.

Some of the stuff that happens to the environments they don't explicitly point out to you is pretty funny. Not sure what I'm supposed to make of Ike's design.

I Might cop this Quicklook sold me on it, the jokes are flat but, but there's an odd feeling that its intentional..anyway, nice to see this Swift chica is capable of following up portal with a different game that just as solid.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So Steam is saying this took about four hours (less than five, at least) to finish. I really enjoyed myself for the most part. The story ended up going absolutely nowhere, which is a shame. The puzzle design was mostly really well done. There was one puzzle that involved
slowing down time and so that a you can sacrifice a box to cut off a laser and then quickly throw a safe through
that felt completely weird to me, but it was otherwise well done. Smashing glass, springing across a room or riding an object across a room always felt really satisfying.

That said, the puzzles didn't really have a climax. The ending came out of nowhere. When the credits rolled, I could hardly believe it. I can forgive a story not going anywhere, but unlike a truly amazing puzzle game in this style (let's say, Braid or Portal, for example) there was no final set of puzzles that wowed me. The game seemed to be building up to something awesome, in fact, the narrator kept hinting at a HL2-esque uber-Gravity-Gun ending, but then... nothing.

I feel like it was four hours well spent, but it lacked the final fist-bump, high-five, "THIS. IS. IT." moment. It ended and rather than feeling whole, it felt incomplete.

Oh, and it also committed a giant faux-pas. The narrator gave away one or two of the more brilliant puzzles before I'd even had time to experiment with them. That felt super cheap and really brought me down. In addition to outright spoiling at least one puzzle that comes to mind (but I have a nagging feeling it was more than one), there were also quite a few occasions where they resorted to the narrator saying "MAKE SURE YOU LOOK UP/DOWN". That's about as 'lazy' as it gets. I'm sure there are designers at Airtight nashing their teeth because they lost some internal debate on whether or not to include the voiceovers, and I respect that, but that doesn't spoil the puzzles any less. I wish I'd been given the option to turn the hints off, if nothing else.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

edit: you're right, Stallion. I didn't think the difference between four hours on the dot and somewhere below five would really make much of a difference to someone looking to buy the game, though.

Holy Wars

Banned
I played an hour or so. It's pretty fun. The art style is kinda ugh, and the voice acting is ugh, but the actual game design seems like it has a lot of potential. I find it more taxing than Portal, oddly, not necessarily more difficult, but there's a little more to think about.

Spent half an hour with the game and ive thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Knowing the answer to a puzzle and then executing it has been enjoyable.

The voice acting has not offended me at all. Ive found it less jarring than the constant jokes of rival puzzle game releases last year.

Top Bottom