• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Conundrum |OT| A game made by Kim Swift - lead designer on Portal 1

Preordered because the idea behind this game seems great and I really enjoyed the gameplay demo videos. Can't wait to play later today.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Still eager to try it out, but stuff like that critter.. thing and all that sort of humor feels like its gonna get tiresome fast.

quantum-290x290.gif

It's as if DreamWorks animation made a Portal game
Most cartoonish/family-friendly games in the industry feel like they were done by one of those CGI animation houses that piggybacks on the latest Disney movie with a shameless direct-to-video clone.

So invoking Dreamworks isn't exactly damning criticism. It's a pretty colossal step up from the norm.

RetroMG

I'm really annoyed that I purchased this before seeing the Season pass bundle was also on sale. Hopefully the season pass won't be ridiculously priced whenever it shows up on the store.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, I can play this tomorrow.

yes. yes, thank you.

Zia

Staggered release dates, very little advertising outside of Steam and no reviews. Man, I hope this is decent.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Should unlock In like 5 minutes right? Bought it at lunchtime and the wait's been killing me.

Katori

The puns and general humor in the Quick Look were absolutely horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thinly veiled cake joke.

Disappointed, Kim Swift.

aeolist

Banned
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/21/quantum-conundrum-review/
What surprised me in terms of the game’s Portalosity is just how closely it apes the structure and tone as well as the concept. The unseen, quipping narrator who’s built an indoor maze of traps and puzzles (this time within an architecturally-implausible mansion), the way each challenge room is bookended by a short monologue from this character, the anthropomorphic machines, the only regular sighting of other people coming in the form of paintings, the narrator and silent protagonist’s somewhat ambivalent relationship, the way the player can conveniently survive huge drops unscathed (no leg braces here, though), the use of a hand-mounted doo-hickey for spatial manipulation… Perhaps some similarities were unavoidable, perhaps some were unconscious and perhaps some are purely because I’m seeing the game through the prism of my familiarity with and fondness for the Portals. It’s just, well… If you’re going to so overtly take after a game that’s been so widely hailed as a modern classic, you’d best do it damned well.

Hmm.

Minute to minute over the last couple of days, my opinion towards Quantum Conundrum has changed dramatically. Moments after thinking “yes, this is smart and charming” I’d be wishing the most awful suffering upon its creators.

Shiggy

I've learned to believe the most criticial reviews in these days where almost every titles gets a 9/10. Waiting for the imminent price drop.

e_i

http://kotaku.com/5918282/quantum-conundrum-the-kotaku-review/

Perhaps Quantum Conundrum's greatest quality is this: While playing through the eight or nine hours it took me to finish, I was at times frustrated, annoyed, and even a little infuriated. But I never stopped smiling.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/21/quantum-conundrum-review

Quantum Conundrum's inventive puzzles put your brain to satisfying work. Everything surrounding the challenges feels a little empty and could use some of the rest of the game’s ingenuity. But a disappointing ending and lack of visual detail shouldn't keep you from the thrill of inter-dimensional puzzle solving. The foundation has been laid, and I hope to be cracking many more Quantum Conundrums in the future.

13 minutes downloading to go.

The puns and general humor in the Quick Look were absolutely horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thinly veiled cake joke.

Disappointed, Kim Swift.

Think you must be confusing Kim Swift with Erik Wolpaw if you were expecting this game to be a copy of the humour of Portal 2.

Just played a bit. My performance is a bit shit and so I hop'd into the settings menu and all I can adjust is the resolution, subtitles, and brightness.

Come the fuck on. It's 2012.

Phinor

Fifteen minutes into the game. It seems pretty nice so far but now I'll wait until someone posts instructions how to change the FOV from 30 to something PC gamers actually want to use. Ok, it's probably not 30, but close enough.

Is it true that the resolution can't go higher than 720p?

This is true.

Edit: It can go 1280 x 768 if you want. That's the only one higher than 1280 x 720.

2nd Edit: It looks like this might be depending on what your monitor reports. Possible bug?

This is true.

Edit: It can go 1280 x 768 if you want. That's the only one higher than 1280 x 720.

Ugh, I may wait to play it until more are patched in. How disappointing. I've had it pre-ordered and was looking forward to playing it. :-(

Have you looked for a config file to edit?

Phinor

How? I don't see it in the settings?

I had 1920x1080 as the default setting in the settings and could go lower and back to 1920x1080 (which is my monitor limit).

Probably some bug/feature with how different monitors report available resolutions or something.

StuBurns

Banned
Played an hour-ish. The humour is piss weak, I love the game though.

I'm surprised to see as much 'precision' in the execution of solutions. There was a little of that in Portal, I missed it in Portal 2.

Well I don't even have it installed yet so I'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully 1920x1080 shows as an option for me. Never had issues before with a game.

I had 1920x1080 as the default setting in the settings and could go lower and back to 1920x1080 (which is my monitor limit).

Probably some bug/feature with how different monitors report available resolutions or something.

Must be. Strange.

I'm still getting not that great performance. Wish I could turn off some of the bloom or motion blur or something.

Deadman

Got up to the 2nd type of dimension before stopping for the football. Fun game so far.

1920x1080 was available for me by default.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Can't play on my resolution of 1440*900 but I've got a 1080 monitor arriving in the next couple of days anyway.

Played about half an hour, just got to the heavy dimension. Fun so far, gonna watch the football then play some more. This is gonna be 8 or 9 hours long? Top stuff.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this game supposed to have voice acting? Because for some reason my game doesn't. Redownloaded it twice now too...

I'm playing 1080p and the framerate annoyingly bounces down to 30fps from 60fps at times but that might just be loading. I have no 720p option or any other graphics tweaks.

Other than that I like it so far. Definitely not one for people who don't like jumping puzzles or timing. Don't mind the sense of humour it has at all. Not going to have me rolling on the floor or dying to quote it on the internet to much rejoicing but I don't care.

anddo0

Got up to the 2nd type of dimension before stopping for the football. Fun game so far.

1920x1080 was available for me by default.

Same here. Everything is super smooth. I did notice some texture flickering on the walls in the first two rooms however.

It's a nice title from what I can tell. I like Portal so I feel right at home with this. The humor isn't quite as sharp, but it's serviceable.

Blizzard

Banned
For fucks sake, this is a PC release first. What the hell.
Why would he have a 720p option if it's a 1080p monitor? Unless he wants a windowed option.

And 60-to-30 bouncing is classic vsync, possibly. It's an UE3 game, right? You might be able to turn vsync off via the config files if they didn't encrypt or lock them.

It's an unreal engine game so changing the resolution through ini files should be trivial. Having said that, the game picked up my 1920x1080 resolution just fine. I get stuttering too, always in the section between 2 levels. Definitely means it slows down while loading the next section.

As for the game itself, the writing so far is flat. They're trying to be all cute and charming but it's not working. The puzzles seem okay... they're easy but that's fine because the start of the game is a tutorial anyway. The real problem with the game is that it's too much like Portal. The RPS review had it right... even if you are the creator of Portal... when you do so much to copy the Portal formula, you will inevitably be judged against it. They also say that this game is 95% there, and it's just missing that last 5%. For Portal, that last 5% is Valve magic which this game just does not have.

Top Bottom