• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quarantine Mafia |OT| The Contagion is spreading.

Verelios

In that scenario Saw, you're basically saying Director is a useless role to throw over to Kark and lynch with him. So, is that what you believe or nah?

Fat4all

Banned
Then what do we do with the Director? Let them live until the end game not knowing if they are Town or not?

We examine them. Pick at them.

This isn't a black or white decision where we either kick them out or leave them in all game.

Kark is a known entity, let's make someone else Director so we can learn about them.

Natiko

Banned
Now that I'm done being 100% rational, let me break out my crazy plan. Now before you go 'that's a stupid idea' hear me out.

Let's nominate Kark as Director.

...still with me? Okay, good.

A few of us seem to be in agreement that if the Director lives long enough they will become detrimental to Town. As time goes on the likelihood of them become Infected and turning into Scum increases and as the Player List dwindles their vote holds more power. Many have already said if the Director lives past a certain point they will be a policy lynch just so that person does not make it to the End Game because of the power they will have. I agree, whether that person is Town or Scum if they have 3 votes that is far too much power for only one person to have in a game where lynches are incredibly important.

So what if we hit two birds with one stone? Kark's claim, whether you believe him or not, will make him a large question that will persist throughout the entire game until he flips. He already seems to be on the chopping block for tomorrow and I doubt that will change, so what if we combined our efforts and not only kill Kark but take out the Director as well?

IF we do decide to do this we all need to be in agreement. Director Kark would have 3 votes, meaning a good amount of us will need to be on him so we don't split the vote and cause a tie/push someone else into the lynch.

What do you guys think?

This isn't an entirely awful plan, but it does have some risks. Namely we have to ensure that we don't get this turned around on us in D2. Another risk is given he is the initial infected, it could be that he has some additional power we do not know about. In the case that it's something that allows him to maneuver into living an extra day then that will not be a great position to be in.

My other main issue with this plan is it gives up all potential benefit the role can grant to us.

Sawneeks

Banned
In that scenario Saw, you're basically saying Director is a useless role to throw over to Kark and lynch with him. So, is that what you believe or nah?

I believe the Director is a negative utility like I told Kawl earlier, unless they have some other ability/power that we don't know about besides the 3-votes.

Basically, if a Townie gets it we have to hope they never get infected AND that their lynch choices are correct since they hold a big chunk of votes.

If a Scum gets it that should be fairly self-explanatory why that would be a bad thing.

Since an Infection mechanic may be present we won't ever be able to fully trust the Director. I say get that out of the way now ( or next Day phase to be accurate ) so we can focus on actually scum hunting.

Faddy

Banned
I believe the Director is a negative utility like I told Kawl earlier, unless they have some other ability/power that we don't know about besides the 3-votes.

Basically, if a Townie gets it we have to hope they never get infected AND that their lynch choices are correct since they hold a big chunk of votes.

If a Scum gets it that should be fairly self-explanatory why that would be a bad thing.

Since an Infection mechanic may be present we won't ever be able to fully trust the Director. I say get that out of the way now ( or next Day phase to be accurate ) so we can focus on actually scum hunting.

Ok, let's play this out

We vote Kark director then lynch him on day 2. What if he doesn't die? What do we do then.

Does anyone still believe his cure story?

Sawneeks

Banned
We examine them. Pick at them.

This isn't a black or white decision where we either kick them out or leave them in all game.

Kark is a known entity, let's make someone else Director so we can learn about them.

How many Scum do you believe we started with? Do you think we have an infection mechanic in play?

This isn't an entirely awful plan, but it does have some risks. Namely we have to ensure that we don't get this turned around on us in D2. Another risk is given he is the initial infected, it could be that he has some additional power we do not know about. In the case that it's something that allows him to maneuver into living an extra day then that will not be a great position to be in.

My other main issue with this plan is it gives up all potential benefit the role can grant to us.

Exactly why I said we need to be in agreement if we want to go forward with this plan. If a majority of us are not on board to lynch Director Kark tomorrow then we can not go through with it since he will hold 3-votes.

It's possible he has more than what he is letting on, it's also possible if we give the Director to an Infected they become stronger and the game gets a lot harder, but it's also possible he is telling the truth. I'm working with what has been said so far and, to me at least, this seems like the best plan going forward.

Personally I feel the negatives outweigh the positives of the Director.

franconp

Then what do we do with the Director? Let them live until the end game not knowing if they are Town or not?

If the infections are random we don't have to worry to much about the Director at the start of the game. Our main concern was that the Director would be infected quickly but if they are random we don't have to worry that much. Having 3 votes is not a big concern this early in the game and even if the Director is infected he can't comunicate with the rest of the team until Night 3 when the third infected join the scum chat. Also he shouldn't know who else is his partner so he would need to be extra careful. So at least until day 4 we don't have to worry to much about it.

I would prefer to give the role to someone else and see what we do after we read Kark's PM.

Sawneeks

Banned
Ok, let's play this out

We vote Kark director then lynch him on day 2. What if he doesn't die? What do we do then.

We cry 'unbalanced', I throw myself down a hole for fucking up that badly, and then we continue on with the game.

Does anyone still believe his cure story?

I can see their being a cure given we have multiple levels of Infected already mentioned and if we are to believe Kark's story then a new Scum Member will appear every Day and we would need a counter to that or else we would lose very quickly.

Natiko

Banned
How many Scum do you believe we started with? Do you think we have an infection mechanic in play?

Exactly why I said we need to be in agreement if we want to go forward with this plan. If a majority of us are not on board to lynch Director Kark tomorrow then we can not go through with it since he will hold 3-votes.

It's possible he has more than what he is letting on, it's also possible if we give the Director to an Infected they become stronger and the game gets a lot harder, but it's also possible he is telling the truth. I'm working with what has been said so far and, to me at least, this seems like the best plan going forward.

Personally I feel the negatives outweigh the positives of the Director.
For now I'm tentatively willing to side with your plan. I have also said before that there's a greater chance than not that the director role backfires on us. Given it's safe to assume a large majority of players could be turned against us if this infection mechanic is true I would feel better with it being out of the game than to give it to someone I can't trust. My main preference is still to be made director myself, but should that not be an option come day end I will likely side with you in this.

franconp

Also I don't believe Kark at all. If what he's saying is true we are playing a totally broken game.

Kark is saying that the infected grow exponentially so by night 3 there would be 8 infected if we do at least one mislynch. So lylo. And that's not counting if the infected can kill as the flavour said. In that case we are lylo day 3.

This can't be a game like that. I don't think the mods would allow it.

Ourobolus

Banned
You've already made it clear you expect to be turned to scum. I think there's little benefit to making you director.

? I don't expect it. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised, but my personal understanding shouldn't affect the way the game actually plays out.

Sawneeks

Banned
If the infections are random we don't have to worry to much about the Director at the start of the game. Our main concern was that the Director would be infected quickly but if they are random we don't have to worry that much. Having 3 votes is not a big concern this early in the game and even if the Director is infected he can't comunicate with the rest of the team until Night 3 when the third infected join the scum chat. Also he shouldn't know who else is his partner so he would need to be extra careful. So at least until day 4 we don't have to worry to much about it.

I would prefer to give the role to someone else and see what we do after we read Kark's PM.

If there is something I've learned playing here is that RNG is an asshole and is never on your side. IF infections are random then it's not entirely impossible that the chosen Director gets hit, it's a very slim chance, but it's still possible and I'm not willing to give them a pass just because the chance is low.

Who is your current Director choice? And how would you know if they suddenly became Scum or not?

Ourobolus

Banned
So you're now claiming if you're made director you do not expect to be made into scum?

Uh, I've been saying, for the entire game, that I expect the Director to be targeted for infection on N1. Now, if it is random like Kark says or if we have a protective role, then I have no idea.

franconp

I can see their being a cure given we have multiple levels of Infected already mentioned and if we are to believe Kark's story then a new Scum Member will appear every Day and we would need a counter to that or else we would lose very quickly.

If that is true that would mean that can cure a infected and he can tell us who their partners are to end the game quickly. Again a broken game, but this time for scum.

The idea of the 2 phase infected seems the best so far. We can cure only the infected who are level 1 and that they don't participate in the scum chat yet so they don't know their partners. Curing beyond that would be really broken. So Kark is beyond redemption and he should just be killed.

Sawneeks

Banned
Also I don't believe Kark at all. If what he's saying is true we are playing a totally broken game.

Kark is saying that the infected grow exponentially so by night 3 there would be 8 infected if we do at least one mislynch. So lylo. And that's not counting if the infected can kill as the flavour said. In that case we are lylo day 3.

This can't be a game like that. I don't think the mods would allow it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how Scum would grow exponentially?

From my understanding of what Kark has said is the Recruiter recruits when the become a Level 2 Infected and that's it. They do not Recruit after that and simply gain access to Scum Chat.

So we would basically run into the scenario of:

Day 1 - 1 Scum
Night 1 - Scum Infects someone
Day 2 - 2 Scum ( one with Chat Access and one without )
Night 2 - Scum Infects someone
Day 3 - 3 Scum ( two with Chat Access and one without )
etc. etc.

Natiko

Banned
Uh, I've been saying, for the entire game, that I expect the Director to be targeted for infection on N1. Now, if it is random like Kark says or if we have a protective role, then I have no idea.
Okay, then again I see no benefit in giving it to you and then having to lynch you on D3 instead of just giving it to Karl and lynching him D2 or getting it myself.

Sawneeks

Banned
If that is true that would mean that can cure a infected and he can tell us who their partners are to end the game quickly. Again a broken game, but this time for scum.

The idea of the 2 phase infected seems the best so far. We can cure only the infected who are level 1 and that they don't participate in the scum chat yet so they don't know their partners. Curing beyond that would be really broken. So Kark is beyond redemption and he should just be killed.

Did you miss my big post where I agree with that idea?

Let me make sure I'm getting this all correctly. :x

-Kark claims he needs to be Director because he is infected and wants to be cured tonight, thus making him confirmed Town.

Some problems: It hinges on the fact that we have someone who can cure Infected people ( which we don't know exists ) , needs that person to claim if they DO exist, and it must be believed that a Level 2 infected can be cured.

I'm assuming the balance to having a cure ( if there is one ) is that Level 1 do not gain access to a chat. It's mentioned in the opening flavor but Level 1 are 'Feral' and kill without warning while Level 2 become more human and can 'interact with other humans'. In game sense, it probably means Level 1 are the killers and kill at random ( as said by Kark ) while Level 2 are the 'proper' Scum members that can chat. So it's a safe assumption that when someone is initially infected they automatically kill someone but do not know who the other infected are, therefore if they are cured they can't do any real damage since they do not know who the other Scum are.

This would also mean that a Level 2 can not be cured since they would see the Scum Chat and know the members. It would be broken if they could suddenly go back to Town with the knowledge of the entire Scum Team.

Now, considering we can't lynch today AND the counter is only at 1, I'm assuming that the Scum Team is actually only 1 person right now since if we could lynch the game would be over immediately. Going off of this it's also safe to assume Kark MUST infect someone tonight so the team can grow...meaning if we are to believe what he has said so far, he MUST become a Level 2 Infected, aka incurable, in order for the game to work.

SO, considering all of that I have a couple conclusions.

1. Kark is telling the truth, he is the lone Scum and truly believed he could be cured. Balance-wise I don't think he can be.
2. He's a Tanner. He wins when we kill him.
3. He's Town and is doing who knows what

Despite any of these scenarios ( even the Tanner one ) I think we need to lynch Kark the next Day Phase. I have a terrible feeling he is being honest but even the small part of me that says he could be lying ( aka he is the Tanner and not Scum ) isn't strong enough to keep off his lynch. He's either Scum or a Tanner and I'd rather risk lynching a Tanner than let potential Scum go.

I agree that if there is a Cure then it only cures the Level 1 Infected, not the Level 2 since Level 1 theoretically don't have Scum Chat and Scum Team access. In order for the game to work and start with 1 Scum there would need to be No Lynch on Day 1 and a confirmed spread of the infection on Night 1. That means Kark is incurable.

franconp

If there is something I've learned playing here is that RNG is an asshole and is never on your side. IF infections are random then it's not entirely impossible that the chosen Director gets hit, it's a very slim chance, but it's still possible and I'm not willing to give them a pass just because the chance is low.

Who is your current Director choice? And how would you know if they suddenly became Scum or not?

Even if we are unlucky the infected Director can't do much with it at least until day 4 as he don't know who their partner is (if it's random). We can just kill him then.

I don't know who should be Director. I don't want Kark and I don't want Ouro (I'm not trusting him, he seemed eager to give the role to Kark). I also don't want it. It's more of a burden than a benefit. I just died night 1 in my previous game, don't want to be out so quickly again. I'm more or less ok with the rest for now.

Sawneeks

Banned
There is also another possibility in that Kark is some weird Neutral that needs to become Director in order to win.

But that honestly seems BS since if he didn't get it today and since we don't re-elect the Director once the new one is dead they would essentially be worthless if they didn't fulfill that condition this Day Phase.

Burbeting

Banned
Most likely scenario imo is that Kark is telling the truth, but that he also misjudged by thinking he could be cured from Level 2 infection.

Sawneeks

Banned
Even if we are unlucky the infected Director can't do much with it at least until day 4 as he don't know who their partner is (if it's random). We can just kill him then.

I don't know who should be Director. I don't want Kark and I don't want Ouro (I'm not trusting him, he seemed eager to give the role to Kark). I also don't want it. It's more of a burden than a benefit. I just died night 1 in my previous game, don't want to be out so quickly again. I'm more or less ok with the rest for now.

You're throwing out the possibility that the Scum Director wouldn't ever bus their own Team. They gain way more by bussing as Director then trying to save their teammate who just swapped sides.

Ourobolus

Banned
Okay, then again I see no benefit in giving it to you and then having to lynch you on D3 instead of just giving it to Karl and lynching him D2 or getting it myself.

Ok, but if we are suspicious of Kark (I assume you mean Kark instead of Kawl/Karl), why would we give it to him? After that, then it doesn't matter whom we pick - you, me, whatever. Either we get a benefit from it or we have a couple mislynches. We don't have enough info today to determine who the worst person to give it to is, and we won't tomorrow either since we don't get a lynch today.

Burbeting

Banned
Kark, a question. Do the Level 2 infected infect someone by random every night, or is it every other night, while level 1 infected kill every other.

Because if every night somebody could potentially be infected, this game would be difficult to win, assuming the possible cures don't have insane accuracy.

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't know who should be Director. I don't want Kark and I don't want Ouro (I'm not trusting him, he seemed eager to give the role to Kark). .

Did you miss the part where I went back over everything and unvoted him?

I think you did.

Don't Overwatch this for me, fran.

franconp

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how Scum would grow exponentially?

From my understanding of what Kark has said is the Recruiter recruits when the become a Level 2 Infected and that's it. They do not Recruit after that and simply gain access to Scum Chat.

So we would basically run into the scenario of:

Day 1 - 1 Scum
Night 1 - Scum Infects someone
Day 2 - 2 Scum ( one with Chat Access and one without )
Night 2 - Scum Infects someone
Day 3 - 3 Scum ( two with Chat Access and one without )
etc. etc.

Here is when Kark said it:

Infected are all recruiters, so the game doesn't break. I will blind-recruit tonight, and then they will recruit, and so on. I can bail out now, but the chain of infected will continue just because of the delay in knowing who gets infected.

This day 1 itself is a bit antithetical to how the game works, too. I think I'm not really given all the info to protect the game. Likewise, I think anybody petitioning to get cured is just gonna be Infected's target (since their goal is to Infect, period). This is why I have to do this NOW before I get involved with other Infected.

Die, lol :(

Here is when I called him out:

If what you are saying it's true the game would be over in 2 weeks. If the infected grow exponentially that would be that the game is unwinnable by night 3:

Night 1 you infect someone else so 2 scum.
Night 2 both infect 2 more so 4 scum.
Night 3 there would be 8 scum and game over as there is no way to win.

If that's true it would be really easy to the infected to win the game, so why the risk to make the claim. You could win really easily without claiming in a couple of nights.

And here is he answering me and not denying my math:

I don't think it's gonna be that easy. I suspect there's gonna be a lot of turn-around in Infected. If I'm gonna die anyway, I'm trying to use this small opportunity to switch sides.

I don't know if it work that way but Kark didn't denied it. And that also why we need to lynch Kark day 2.

Banned
Most likely scenario imo is that Kark is telling the truth, but that he also misjudged by thinking he could be cured from Level 2 infection.
This sounds accurate. I think we should lynch Kark day two, and we should find someone else to vote for director today.

Natiko

Banned
Ok, but if we are suspicious of Kark (I assume you mean Kark instead of Kawl/Karl), why would we give it to him? After that, then it doesn't matter whom we pick - you, me, whatever. Either we get a benefit from it or we have a couple mislynches. We don't have enough info today to determine who the worst person to give it to is, and we won't tomorrow either since we don't get a lynch today.
Yeah I meant Kark. Given that I can't know if any of you have some sort of protection again being infected I would say the benefit to giving it to Kark is getting rid of potential scum and the director D1. It then opens up our options for D3. Giving it to you for a lynch on D3 gets us the same result as giving it to Kark but puts us a day behind. I also don't think there's much risk of needing the director power on D2 to get Kark lynched.

franconp

Did you miss the part where I went back over everything and unvoted him?

I think you did.

Don't Overwatch this for me, fran.

Yes, I saw it. And also saw how you asked Kark who should be elected and how you nominated yourself a couple of post later.

I don't have much to work with but I'm not feeling too well with that.

Help me change that: Why do you want to be elected? As we pointed out before the Director's role it's more a burden than a benefit. We are even discussing if we should give it to a mafia player. So why do you want it?

Verelios

This sounds accurate. I think we should lynch Kark day two, and we should find someone else to vote for director today.
Either way I'm voting for Kark's lynch Day 2. I'm just hesitant to throw away the Director role without knowing if there's something about it that's beneficial to town that we don't know yet.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yes, I saw it. And also saw how you asked Kark who should be elected and how you nominated yourself a couple of post later.

I don't have much to work with but I'm not feeling too well with that.

Help me change that: Why do you want to be elected? As we pointed out before the Director's role it's more a burden than a benefit. We are even discussing if we should give it to a mafia player. So why do you want it?
I nominated myself for the first time far before I asked Kark his opinion

Banned
Either way I'm voting for Kark's lynch Day 2. I'm just hesitant to throw away the Director role without knowing if there's something about it that's beneficial to town that we don't know yet.
Well, if there is I don't think we would find out until after we have elected someone.

Ourobolus

Banned
Anyone who gets Director has a target on their back - if it's Town, scum is gonna want to get rid of them. If it's Scum, townies should be wary if they live too long.

Karkador

Banned
I have returned

tumblr_o04ykpsTne1s2wio8o2_500.gif

Natiko

Banned
Going back through some stuff now and trying to collect my thoughts.

Kark - Why are you suddenly pushing for Director when it seems clear you always planned to claim infected? You were the first post once day started and you immediately hinted at your future claim.

Karkador

Banned
Kark, run me through these scenarios:

1. You are town, we make you Director
2. You are town, we don't make you Director
3. You are scum, are telling the truth, and we make you Director
4. You are scum, are telling the truth, and we don't make you Director
3. You are scum, are lying, and we make you Director
3. You are scum, are lying, and we don't make you Director

1) A default Town director will either get Infected, or killed one way or another.

2) A default Town director will either get Infected, or killed one way or another.

3) I will start tomorrow as either a Infected Director. if no means to cure me exists,

or

I will start as a Town Director, with the perk of not being able to be Infected. The Axometer will give some clue as to whether I've been cured or not.

4) A default Town director will either get Infected, or killed one way or another. I recruit tonight, as I would in any scenario, and have outed myself for a D2 lynch. However, the other recruit remains secret, and the game goes on.

3) I will start tomorrow as either a Infected Director. if no means to cure me exists,

or

I will start as a Town Director, with the perk of not being able to be Infected. The Axometer will give some clue as to whether I've been cured or not. In other words, my lie doesn't do much harm because I've already outed myself. It's a 3-vote power, not an override.

3) I'm probably lynched tomorrow,

but

A default Town director will either get Infected, or killed one way or another.

The problem Town has to consider is the issue of the Director falling into Infected's hands permanantly, or late into the game (and this game is apparently accelerated). People are going to defend the player with the Director role. The Director role is going to defend themselves with the weight of their 3 votes.

franconp

Anyone who gets Director has a target on their back - if it's Town, scum is gonna want to get rid of them. If it's Scum, townies should be wary if they live too long.

That's right. That's why I don't understand how everyone is so eager to be voted Director. We will lynch you sooner than later as we don't want to give the infected too much power. And the benefit for town is not that great. 2 extra votes it's not a lot until way later in the game, and there is no way the Director will live long.

As I see it, being voted the Director is more a burden than a benefit.

Banned
Hey Karkador, I'm not sure if you have said this before but you're at stage one of the infection, right? If so, do you advance to stage two the next day?

Karkador

Banned
Basically, if you give me the role, you put it in the safest possible spot.

-If it's too dangerous a role, I'm the most eligible candidate to lynch tomorrow.
- If it appears clear that I'm still Infected, it's easy to lynch me.
- If I stay alive and gain Town's trust, then the role is Infection-proof and wont be a danger in the late game.

Nobody else in this game can claim this much responsibility with the role. You're all claiming it "just because"

Ourobolus

Banned
That's right. That's why I don't understand how everyone is so eager to be voted Director. We will lynch you sooner than later as we don't want to give the infected too much power. And the benefit for town is not that great. 2 extra votes it's not a lot until way later in the game, and there is no way the Director will live long.

As I see it, being voted the Director is more a burden than a benefit.

Look - we're going to mislynch more often than not. Hence why I want to choose someone who could potentially help time in their limited capacity before they die.

Ourobolus

Banned
Basically, if you give me the role, you put it in the safest possible spot.

-If it's too dangerous a role, I'm the most eligible candidate to lynch tomorrow.
- If it appears clear that I'm still Infected, it's easy to lynch me.
- If I stay alive and gain Town's trust, then the role is Infection-proof and wont be a danger in the late game.

Nobody else in this game can claim this much responsibility with the role. You're all claiming it "just because"

How are you a better choice than anyone else out there, assuming you're just a townie that is fucking with us

Top Bottom