• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about using full RGB vs limited on consoles connected to TV?

Kai

So I have a Samsung 60 JU7100 (4K with a supposed update to it that made it HDR in early 2016).

My question isn't about HDR, but for both my PS4 & Xbox - I assumed that this type of tv supports full RGB. However - to reduce input lag (this tv supposedly has good input lag) you can put the hdmi's in Game mode which I did. Everytime I put the consoles in full RGB color it does seem to make the blacks blacker but maybe crushed? I've tried to calibrate using the Xbox one calibration settings on both limited and full RGB. Is this a mistake? What's the best way and is full RGB better to use?

iMax

Hm, why that?

So the limited spectrum is 16-235 RGB, whilst full is 0-255. However broadcast TV, movies, streaming services are all rated at a limited RGB range, so by using RGB full your console will have to artificially remap the RGB range.

If your TV is calibrated properly, black 16 will be the deepest black your TV can output, whilst white 235 will be the brightest white. Thus, there is no need to use full—the differences in gradations are imperceptible.

Shane89

So the limited spectrum is 16-235 RGB, whilst full is 0-255. However broadcast TV, movies, streaming services are all rated at a limited RGB range, so by using RGB full your console will have to artificially remap the RGB range.

If your TV is calibrated properly, black 16 will be the deepest black your TV can output, whilst white 235 will be the brightest white. Thus, there is no need to use full—the differences in gradations are imperceptible.

what? artificially remap thr RGB range? lol, this is not true. if the game use full rgb scale then you MUST set full rgb on the console. of course you have to set full rgb on tv too.

Kai

but what about gameplay on my XBOX and PS4? I use limited on my cable and streaming services from my tv apps. For gaming wouldn't it make sense to take advantage of my tv's full RGB capabilities?

iMax

what? artificially remap thr RGB range? lol, this is not true. if the game use full rgb scale then you MUST set full rgb on the console. of course you have to set full rgb on tv too.

I don't think you read that sentence properly :)

If you're using your console just for games, fair enough. most people don't.

iMax

but what about gameplay on my XBOX and PS4? I use limited on my cable and streaming services from my tv apps. For gaming wouldn't it make sense to take advantage of my tv's full RGB capabilities?

Sure but if you've setup your TV correctly you will not notice any difference.

Moreche

I have my Xbox One and PS4 and TV on limited. Sony and TV call it Full but MS call it PC which tells me that Full is when using your console connected to a monitor.
But my Amazon Fire TV stick uses Full but I think that's an android thing.

Moreche

Don't read into what others say, using full over limited on your TV adds absolutely nothing, your not accessing some extra black levels in games that are not there when using limited.

televator

So I have a Samsung 60 JU7100 (4K with a supposed update to it that made it HDR in early 2016).

My question isn't about HDR, but for both my PS4 & Xbox - I assumed that this type of tv supports full RGB. However - to reduce input lag (this tv supposedly has good input lag) you can put the hdmi's in Game mode which I did. Everytime I put the consoles in full RGB color it does seem to make the blacks blacker but maybe crushed? I've tried to calibrate using the Xbox one calibration settings on both limited and full RGB. Is this a mistake? What's the best way and is full RGB better to use?

Likely because your TV isn't getting the memo about Full RGB from the console. Your TV has to be able to switch luminance scales. Usually, this is done manually through an option in the TV's menu... Assuming your TV supports Full RGB content to begin with. If you see no such option, and no mention of full RGB in your manual, then your TV is RGB limited only, and you should only feed it RGB limited content.

televator

Actually for computer graphics in general (i.e. Games), it's their full spectrum that has to be "artificailly remapped" to limited spectrum for TVs. Computer standard has been 0-255. Setting a console to Full likeley retains the native 0-255 scale of the game's render

BinaryTB

Neo Member
Actually for computer graphics in general (i.e. Games), it's their full spectrum that has to be "artificailly remapped" to limited spectrum for TVs. Computer standard has been 0-255. Setting a console to Full likeley retains the native 0-255 scale of the game's render

Exactly, computers "think" in powers of 2.

0-255 is 256 values, which is 2^8. Consoles/PCs all do their internal rendering, graphics, etc at 0-255, then the colors are scaled to whatever your output is. 16-235 or 0-255. So if you ONLY game (or go to websites) on your console and your TV supports 0-255, go with that, it's the better output.

If you actually watch movies, then set your console to limited and your tv to limited. All games will scale to 16-235 and will look fine on your TV, with the bonus that videos will look fine too (videos are all 16-235, minus some amateur one's on YouTube and such).

M3d10n

I don't think you read that sentence properly :)

If you're using your console just for games, fair enough. most people don't.

In all TVs I interacted with the settings are saved for each input. So unless you use the same HDMI port for both consoles and the cable TV box (or pass everything through a receiver or HDMI switcher), it would have zero effect on the setting for the other inputs.

The most important thing is that both TV and console is set to the same thing.

This. Anything else just confuses the fuck out of people. Keep it simple.

They just need to match. Limited to Limited. OR Full to Full. Keep in mind Xbox refers to Full as (PC) and Limited as (TV).

Also, the auto setting on the PS4 sometimes doesn't work. It's best to set the RGB range specifically to either limited or full in the PS4's sound and screen setting, to match whatever the fuck your TV is on. Most TV's default to limited, most PC monitors default to full.

A lot of problems come when people connect their PS4 to their PC monitor. They'll often get a washed out image because they aren't putting their PS4's to RGB Full or their Xboxes to RGB PC.

29079327643_309346413b_o.jpg

Here is a quick dirty example. Pay attention to the details in the background. Increasing the brightness also won't have any effect on the crushed black image on the right. That's how you know that your color range settings are mismatched.

Make sure the source and display are matched.

Limited -> Limited
Full -> Full

As to which you should pick, if Full is supported by your display, then use Full. If not, use Limited.

Top Bottom