• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for the HDTV aficionados

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaitoH

Going to buy a new widescreen HDTV and I think its come down to these two:

Sony WEGA KV-34HS420 34" Widescreen TV

Click here

Panasonic CT34WX54 34" Widescreen TV

Click here

I'd rather get the Sony, but it's $300 more than the Panasonic ... is it worth the extra cash, or is there something else you'd recommend?

Any advice appreciated.

^w^

darscot

The only thing I'm a brand name whore for is TV's and I would go with the Sony. I have 34" Widescreen Sony and I love it the thing is amazing.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I also can't tell if either TV can accept (and convert) a 720p input. It doesn't look like it, but it's something you might want to consider (although it sounds like all next-gen consoles will convert the resolution to either / or).

I have a 34" Panasonic Tau Widescreen. Can't think of the model number right now, but it's a year or two old. It has been an excellent set. +1 Panasonic

Ryck

Nerevar said:
I also can't tell if either TV can accept (and convert) a 720p input. It doesn't look like it, but it's something you might want to consider (although it sounds like all next-gen consoles will convert the resolution to either / or).
The sony will convert 720 to 1080i.

Nerevar

darscot said:
Why would you want to convert 720P to 1080i? I much prefer 720P.

because the tv can't display 720p?

And if you can tell the difference you must have super-sharp eyes (or sit way too close to the screen). I'm just happy when something is broadcast in HD in the first place.

darscot

Ah, now I get it.
The difference is subtle but you can tell. My wife always changes to 1080i so the reciever menu is bigger. I'll sit down and in ten minutes I'm thinking something is not right.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
darscot said:
Ah, now I get it.
The difference is subtle but you can tell. My wife always changes to 1080i so the reciever menu is bigger. I'll sit down and in ten minutes I'm thinking something is not right.
then it is the way the receiver is sideconverting. visually there is practically no difference between the two. Interlace artifacts the majority of the time are virtually imperceptible at 1080i and most people sit too far away from their TV to fully resolve 720p let alone 1080i.

If there is a difference that bothers you between the two it is how your receiver converts between them.

darscot

If it is so imperceptible why is that I can see the difference after watching for only a couple of minutes. Why do people always downplay human senses. You can blame it on whatever you want but I can see the difference.

borghe

I wasn't downpladying the human senses. I was saying that the difference between a 720p picture and 1080i picture is factually imperceptible. As to why you can see that, reread my post again... probably because of how your box sideconverts. even further proof is that on that TV the picture is always 1080i anyway. if it accepts a 720p signal, it just sideconverts it to 1080i. so if the box is receiving a 1080i signal (HBO, NBC, etc), then you set the box to 720p, and input it into the TV, you are basically taking a 1080i signal, sideconverting it to 720p, then sideconverting it back to 1080i. however when it is 1080i and you are watching a 1080i network, you are passing the native signal through at the native resolution to the tv... that is why you can probably see a difference.

As for human senses, you actually have that backwards. People generally don't downplay the human senses.. In fact people usually think their senses are more attuned than they actually are. Don't make me come into this thread with my famous links about visual accuity, temporal resolution, and maximum distance and screen size for full resolving various resolutions, etc.

darscot

I should note that I dont actually have that TV. I have a 34 Sony but it's a Japanese model and is capabel of 720P.

borghe

darscot said:
I should note that I dont actually have that TV. I have a 34 Sony but it's a Japanese model and is capabel of 720P.
no TV that I have ever seen is capable of displaying 540 and 720 lines variably. You either have a CRT set which does 480 and 540 lines, and thus 1080 interlaced, or you have a fixed pixel progressive set (DLP, LCD, LCOS, plasma) that does 720 lines. Or you have a new REALLY top of the line set that does 1080 lines.

I have never yet seen a set that does 480, 540, and 720 scan lines. every set out does either 540 lines or 720 lines and then if it can accept the other format sideconverts the format to the display resolution.

Nerevar

darscot said:

no. You don't. You might think you do, but you don't.

SaitoH

I was under the imression that the Sony 34 XBR does 720p. I think that's the only tube that does.

Could be wrong though ...

Anyway, I get the impression that both TVs are good, but am still wondering if the Sony is worth that extra $300 + tax?

Nerevar

SaitoH said:
I was under the imression that the Sony 34 XBR does 720p. I think that's the only tube that does.

Anyway, I get the impression that both TVs are good, but am still wondering if the Sony is worth that extra $300 + tax?

well, if what Ryck said was true, that Sony will accept a 720p image and convert it to display as 1080i. Thus, if the next-gen consoles are locked at one resolution (likely 720p as that's easier for a fixed-pixel output, like a videogame, to calculate), it will make a pretty big difference.

borghe

the toppest of the top of the line sony 34" crts that I can find is here, and that set is native 1080i (aka 540 lines of rez) and will sideconvert 720p to 1080i.

Ryck

SaitoH said:

Does the Panasonic even display 720 or convert it in any way? Or will you just get a black screen. (my friends does that)

darscot

Now you guys have me wondering? I tried looking it up on a Sony's JPN website but I can't even find the TV section. I'll take a look at the actual model number when I get home tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom