• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question to Arcade Board/PCB/Jamma collectors- What're these '600 in 1' Boards?

Tizoc

For some time now I've been looking to get the Arcade ver. of Capcom's 1993 Punisher game. One item I found on Ebay had such a game but for around 700+ USD!
Among the other results are these
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...oar.TRS0&_nkw=multigame+arcade+board&_sacat=0

Or commonly known as Pandora's Box apparently

What I'd like to know is
1- How legal are these boards?

2- Can one switch the region and language of the games in these boards? Some contain Capcom games such as Punisher, but from what I read online, the JP ver. of it has a few animations not in the English versions, like Punisher and Fury's Flaming Dive Kick move

3- Say I were to get one, how would I go about setting it up to run on HDTV+Using for example PS4 controllers?

They are just cheap pcs with a jamma edge connector for use in arcade cabs or with a supergun where you don't have the budget to use a proper pc with a jpac or buy original pcbs. They are entirely emulation based (probably using mame without a license) and more often or not too weak to run the games at full framerates. They also more often or not squish tate games into a horizontal resolution with no option to rotate.

Honestly you are better off getting as raspberry pi 3 if you are on that much of a budget and want to play some arcade games. I spend a lot of time lurking around arcade focused forums and they do not have a good reputation at all, steer clear.

Tizoc

They are just cheap pcs with a jamma edge connector for use in arcade cabs or with a supergun where you don't have the budget to use a proper pc with a jpac or buy original pcbs. They are entirely emulation based (probably using mame without a license) and more often or not too weak to run the games at full framerates. They also more often or not squish tate games into a horizontal resolution with no option to rotate.

Honestly you are better off getting as raspberry pi 3 if you are on that much of a budget and want to play some arcade games. I spend a lot of time lurking around arcade focused forums and they do not have a good reputation at all, steer clear.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that, although that leaves me back into square one in trying to find the certain arcade board I want >_<

Original arcade boards can be really expensive for popular games. I paid about $250 for a JAMMA-converted Bubble Bobble and that was a good price.

I would never go for X in 1 board though, not even for Neo-Geo. Then what's the point? If you want to lug around a huge, heavy cabinet with an aging CRT monitor, you want it to play arcade boards. Otherwise you can just play MAME on any PC.

Tizoc

what are you looking for, do you not have a pc at all?

Well as I wrote, I've mainly been looking for PCB of Punisher 1993 by Capcom; I'm trying to find the board of that game, but alas ebay prices are quite high @_@

I know of how one could get those games and have them run a Raspberry Pi but I kinda wanna get the original game as a novelty kind of thing.

Off topic, but I did find THIS and ordered it instead, for that price it was a great find ^^;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPCOM-The-...082510?hash=item1a2b541d4e:g:kKkAAOSwjqVZC49v

If you want to lug around a huge, heavy cabinet with an aging CRT monitor, you want it to play arcade boards. Otherwise you can just play MAME on any PC.
Groovymame run through a 15khz capable pc into an arcade cab is incredible though, I sold everything but a few mvs carts once I got it up and running.

Kyari

Well as I wrote, I've mainly been looking for PCB of Punisher 1993 by Capcom; I'm trying to find the board of that game, but alas ebay prices are quite high @_@

For legitimate arcade boards this is basically true of every game, yeah.

sorry, missed that part. yeah like cadillacs and dinosaurs the punisher is one of the most expensive cps1 games, even outside of ebay they are around that price.

Top Bottom