• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions after 1st attack on titan

Lunarorbit

OK so I just finished the first episode and I was wondering out loud about the defense of the city. Maybe it's not something people can answer without spoiling the whole series. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things and they'll never be explained.

So the giant titan smashes the outer wall in. People fall back. There's other layers of security if you can make it to the rose wall(?). But the run of mill titans aren't moving super fast. They aren't shown tearing through buildings searching. They look mindless.

Why not hide inside? Why aren't there shelters underground? A tunnel system everyone knows about. Entrances that are too small for titan hands that are reenforced?

I get they have the city guard and the guys that fight outside but why aren't they dumping molten steel on these fuckers while they scratch the walls? Melt them or burn them? Even if they still can only be killed by the back of the neck why not incapacate them so they are easier to kill?

As much as walking dead would annoy me with the ways they made characters idiotic so they had ways to kill people off they at least would make pits to trap them. At some point a sound trap is built with a pit they would fall in.

So are there cheap deaths in this left and right? If a character dies (that's anime 101) that's fine. I just don't want it to be so dumb that I'm annoyed I was invested in them. They've had a 100 years to prepare but I guess ordinary folks don't know what to do cause they aren't prepared.

Just seems like bad public policy for the last human stronghold.

Tldr: Are characters gonna be morons in this and die in stupid preventable ways that will irrite me? More than usual for anime.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I'd keep watching. I believe they mentioned that there is an underground city, but I don't think they ever show it.

There is a way to fight titans. I don't think the ways you mention would work

Sakura

It's been a long time since I ever watched it, but I don't believe that they ever thought the titans would begin to breach walls, after all it had been a hundred years right? Titans are supposed to just be mindless creatures roaming the land outside the walls. The fact they attacked and broke through was a major surprise.
You might say they still should've built complex underground tunnels and shelters to escape an area, and maybe they should've, but there are plenty of dumb decisions made even in the real world that don't take long term risks into consideration.
As for dumping molten steel on them... that seems like a great way to waste a ton of steel that you need for creating weapons and shit, and how much would you need for all the titans out there? What if you fuck up and get killed before you can even dump it? Setting them on fire too would probably risk setting everything on fire.

All that being said, I do think the plot for the series is pretty dumb. But nothing in the very beginning stands out to me as being particularly bad.

Lunarorbit

It's been a long time since I ever watched it, but I don't believe that they ever thought the titans would begin to breach walls, after all it had been a hundred years right? Titans are supposed to just be mindless creatures roaming the land outside the walls. The fact they attacked and broke through was a major surprise.
You might say they still should've built complex underground tunnels and shelters to escape an area, and maybe they should've, but there are plenty of dumb decisions made even in the real world that don't take long term risks into consideration.
As for dumping molten steel on them... that seems like a great way to waste a ton of steel that you need for creating weapons and shit, and how much would you need for all the titans out there? What if you fuck up and get killed before you can even dump it? Setting them on fire too would probably risk setting everything on fire.

All that being said, I do think the plot for the series is pretty dumb. But nothing in the very beginning stands out to me as being particularly bad.
I guess after the second episode it's alluded to that the elite don't want the population to spike and they want to live in luxury.. Blah blah evil rich people. And I'm guessing the dad injecting his son is want makes him turn into a titan. Ergo the govt secretly controls titans for population control.

I hope it's not that simple. Couldn't people just hide in their homes? They haven't shown titans reaching into anything really. Instead people run around the streets trying attention.

That type of stuff annoys me. Kill whoever you want on your show. I just want it to be a little more sophisticated than peasants just get devoured cause they didn't plan ahead.

Have like a hatch in your floor to hide. I'm overthinking it.

I guess after the second episode it's alluded to that the elite don't want the population to spike and they want to live in luxury.. Blah blah evil rich people. And I'm guessing the dad injecting his son is want makes him turn into a titan. Ergo the govt secretly controls titans for population control.

I hope it's not that simple. Couldn't people just hide in their homes? They haven't shown titans reaching into anything really. Instead people run around the streets trying attention.

That type of stuff annoys me. Kill whoever you want on your show. I just want it to be a little more sophisticated than peasants just get devoured cause they didn't plan ahead.

Have like a hatch in your floor to hide. I'm overthinking it.

Watch the damn show lol. Then report back when you've reached current episode, will be interesting to read your thoughts.

Dude is begging to be spoiled. If you don't wanna watch it just read TV Tropes. Enjoy the first three seasons because after that the animation quality goes dooooooown.

lifa-cobex

Their is an underground city but it's a crime ridden hole. I imagine the surface city was probably trying to distance itself from it and probably has limited access.

The molten steel plan would probably work but is their much steel to access in a limited area? After a 100 years, the population just thought they were safe and became over confidant.
But you are leaning towards things being spoiled for you.
Many reasons are answered. They do get very wild and very unexpected.

edit: Staying in your home would be a bad idea. Eventually when everyone else has escaped, you would run out of food and water whilst being surrounded by titans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom