• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions call for Under Siege (RTS, PSN, Move) interview

Lagspike_exe said:
Great interview. I'm very interested in this game.

One question - does it have presence data?

Yes, it shows if you are in the main menu, in a lobby (with lobby data), in single player, etc

TheGuardian said:
Yes, it shows if you are in the main menu, in a lobby (with lobby data), in single player, etc

Excellent. You're on par with MW2 regarding social features and ahead in some additional options (custom soundtrack). Truly remarkable for a PSN game and such a small team. Great job.

RavenFox

Banned
How many here remember this?

I guess it's the same transition as when PC FPS gamers switched from keyboard to keyboard + mouse controls. A lot of people had a hard time transitioning, others picked it up and never looked back.

Playing Quake 2 was my first rump into using the mouse + keyboard. I was just using the keyboard at the time. When my friend showed me I was like wtf. When I did get the hang I was like htf did I play without the mouse? I think Move will do the same thing. Great interview TTP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gluv65 said:
Great Interview TTP and you site is dope iWaggle, iWonder, and of course iApprove.

:lol

Thanks man.

BTW, could a mod please change this to simply "Under Siege Interview" or something?

F-Pina

On our eyes these games HAVE to be packed, the features are there just begging to be used.
We might understand that some games want the soundtrack locked to the original one to keekp the experience intact, but screenshot and video recording?

By the way, here is the original thread where we talked about more stuff in the past -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364127

Hurray for TTP! ;)

ChryZ

I'm pretty disappointed that none of my questions were asked/answered. Nice interview, but surprisingly "on message" for a self published title. Went this interview through some kind of Sony PR filter?

Great Stuff TTP! And love your blog. I think you're missing a game by the way, Angry Birds was announced for PS3/Move a few days ago.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:
I'm pretty disappointed that none of my questions were asked/answered. Nice interview, but surprisingly "on message" for a self published title. Went this interview through some kind of Sony PR filter?

That's not true ChryZ. Why do you say so? Some of your questions were answered, directly or indirectly. Seed Studios guys specifically went through the questions asked in this thread while answering my questions in order to fill it with the extra information.

Maastricht said:
Great Stuff TTP! And love your blog. I think you're missing a game by the way, Angry Birds was announced for PS3/Move a few days ago.

I need to add EA's Create as well. Guess I have some catching up to do later today :)
Thanks!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is Angry Birds confirmed to have Move support? I know it's been announced for PS3 and I know it would be a no-brainer but I don't think they've said anything about it (?) It's coming to PSP too so they may just to a traditional controller mapping and leave that be that.

TheGuardian said:
(And yes, the MLAA code comes from the nice people at Sony )

I'm delighted to hear that. Sony should be giving that code away to everyone. I don't know that it's the silver bullet for PS3 jaggies, but it looks great in situations when it can be implemented.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Is Angry Birds confirmed to have Move support? I know it's been announced for PS3 and I know it would be a no-brainer but I don't think they've said anything about it (?) It's coming to PSP too so they may just to a traditional controller mapping and leave that be that.

No worries. Will ask the Rovio guys for confirmation. I'm a professional. :p

ChryZ

TTP said:
That's not true ChryZ. Why do you say so? Some of your questions were answered, directly or indirectly. Seed Studios guys specifically went through the questions asked in this thread while answering my questions in order to fill it with the extra information.
Some were indirectly answered, but quite vaguely. Some not at all. I just hoped for more details.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:
Some were indirectly answered, but quite vaguely. Some not at all. I just hoped for more details.

Well, I think these questions were answered in the whole controls description part of the interview.

Will the Move controller only function as pointer or will there be gesture based commands? Pointer and 1:1 (in the editor)

Will you use voice recognition via the PSEye for command input? Apparently not. They would have mentioned it.

Do you use the Move sub controller or is this a lollipop-only title? Will use nav controller, but doesn't seem to be necessary

These were answered as well.

Will this title be self published? Yes

Are there any plans for post launch DLC? They plan to support the title post-launch

I think 5 out of 8 questions of yours were answered quite clearly.

Anyways, I don't want to start a discussion about this. Just want to let you know your (and everybody's) questions weren't ignored.

I'm sorry I couldn't send your questions directly, but as I wrote in the OP, I had two ours before sending the interview. GAF reacted to the thread more than 3 hrs after it was created, so by that time my interview was already in the hands of the Seed Studios guys. Nonetheless, I pointed them towards this thread, asking if they could answer some of your questions anyway. They kindly accepted.

Sheesh, we got a ton of information. TTP did a great job, a lot was covered. It's nice that the devs were kind enough to reply to a hell of a lot of questions. Control information especially.

Don't be hard on the guy.

ChryZ said:

Ok, then some direct answers :)

How is it to work with the PhyreEngine?

Nice... we never worked with a similar library before so I can't make comparisons, but it's well supported and most of all, it free :)

Are you considering a multi platform release later on?

No, not at this time. Several parts of the game are built on top of specific PS3 features, so it would require some work.

Will the Move controller only function as pointer or will there be gesture based commands?

No gestures. And we recommend playing sitting down btw :p

Will you use voice recognition via the PSEye for command input?

We have been playing with this and it shows some promise, so no for Under Siege, but maybe in future projects.

Do you use the Move sub controller or is this a lollipop-only title?

The basic stuff is on the Move, like selection and orders. For hot keys, direct camera control, "shift-click" selection and other advanced stuff, you also need either the Navigation controller or the Dual Shock.

How long is the single player mode?

We are still tuning and balancing the game, so we can't give a precise number. But we are expecting around 7 hours for a regular player.

Will this title be self published?

Yes, we will be publishing Under Siege on the PSN store ourselves.

Are there any plans for post launch DLC?

We have a number of ideas floating around, but we haven't set anything in stone right now. In addition to any bigger DLC we might create, we will probably also release addon packs similar to LBP where we give the player more tools for the editor and a couple of maps as showcase of the new stuff.

Under Siege just bitchslapped almost everything in my 'must buy' list and went to the front of the line. Great interview TTP, great answers, great community management and looks to be a great game! Will buy at launch. :D

krioto

Really looking forward to this game - I won't be using move, but I've been watching this since the title went up on seed's website - so not long to go now!

F-Pina

iamcool388 said:
Under Siege just bitchslapped almost everything in my 'must buy' list and went to the front of the line.

Can we quote you on this for the promotional materials? hehe.

KZObsessed

Do you guys know which technology group at Sony developed MLAA or was it a group effort? How did it come about exactly?

oh and Day 1 purchase.

KZObsessed said:
Do you guys know which technology group at Sony developed MLAA or was it a group effort? How did it come about exactly?

oh and Day 1 purchase.

It came into being thanks to an idea from one or two programmers on the God of War team. From there on various people contributed I think, but that's its origin. If I remember correctly one of the programmers responsible also worked on Dungeon Siege's PS3 code ...

@TTP: yeah, apologies, it has actually not been confirmed to support Move on the PS3 and could indeed end up being a Mini. Will be interesting to see if Minis will be able to support Move - there's definitely an advantage to that, particularly for Minis that are iPhone ports originally. However, I think all games that have an iPad HD version may well see a PS3 specific port, much like Flight Control?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
KZObsessed said:

oh and Day 1 purchase.
MLAA is Santa Monica Studio's implementation of morphologic AA.

KZObsessed said:

Reading the Digital Foundry articles will give you all the answers. There was an anti-aliasing effect in The Saboteur which was similar to MLAA, but I believe that Sony Santa Monica developed the actual MLAA routines as part of their development of God Of War 3. It's my understanding that the concept was first raised many years ago in a technical paper but that the way graphics are commonly being handled on the PS3 (deferred rendering, lots of parallel processing available) makes it a much more useful approach than would typically be the case.

EDIT: Beaten like England at a World Cup.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BritBloke916 said:
Reading the Digital Foundry articles will give you all the answers. There was an anti-aliasing effect in The Sabotuer which was similar to MLAA, but I believe that Sony Santa Monica developed the actual MLAA routines as part of their development of God Of War 3. It's my understanding that the concept was first raised many years ago in a technical paper but that the way grapics are commonly being handled on the PS3 (deferred rendering, lots of parallel processing available) makes it a much more useful approach than would typically be the case.

EDIT: Beaten like England at a World Cup.
Exactly.
What the guys at Santa Monica did was to implement it on SPUs and then (Awesomely) add it to the PS3 SDK so everyone can use it.

England and Argentina :(

jcm

Wow, I hadn't even heard of this. It looks really great. Are you guys able to talk about using Move plus a DS3 instead of a nav controller? Is it comfortable?

F-Pina

Well, it is more confortable using the nav controller than a DS3 because you are using only one hand to pick it up. Regardless you normally play the game sitting down with your hands on your legs so it is really not an issue.

Mr_Zombie

TheGuardian said:
We made a comparison image for you guys to check the difference:

*pic*

The lighting is slightly different because of the moving clouds, etc..

( And yes, the MLAA code comes from the nice people at Sony )

Has the 1080p version better, more detailed textures? Or is this just an effect of either AF or the downscaling?
Also, could you please post screens from both versions, 1080p and 720p + MLAA, in native resolution.

Mr_Zombie said:
Has the 1080p version better, more detailed textures? Or is this just an effect of either AF or the downscaling?
Also, could you please post screens from both versions, 1080p and 720p + MLAA, in native resolution.

The textures are identical, but besides the obvious increase in visible detail the resolution allows, the 1080p screen does not match the others perfectly in camera distance and angle because in the 720 screens I just toggled MLAA on and off, but for 1080p I had to restart the game and reposition the camera by hand.

The 720 screens are just cropped, only the 1080p was reduced to match the size of the others. I rather not post the full screens because they are kind of lousy and would end up everywhere :p

Btw, taking screenshots is a pain... every time you see a couple of good press shots, know that someone had to waste a LOT of time getting everything right. There's always a ragdoll in a weird place or a texture too close to the camera... and the Internet never forgives stuff like that :)

Chris_C

TheGuardian said:
Not at this time, but we are testing stuff like flashing red when your units are being attacked off screen.

I like this idea.

I'm not really into RTS's, though I try them out occasionally. I'm looking forward to picking up Under Siege.

Top Bottom