• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Racism is as American as Baseball" -

Yes, I most certainly have.

I'm quite sure this was anti racist, but it's bothering me how many of you don't realize there are a plethora of shameless, self-aware racists out there.

Difference between a shameless, self-aware racist and one that actually describes themselves using that word. They tend to prefer other terms. And, yeah, I've never met the latter.

I'm just a nigga, though, ion know everything.

Rorschach

ffdf9c960f8105ca8c1cae2fbf25f7eb--bad-neighbors-los-simpsons.jpg
lol

Clefargle

Most racists don't think they're racist, so the sign wouldn't have mentioned racism if it was pro-racism. They usually use dog whistles, even today.

There's nothing ambiguous about that sign. The fans perfectly understood the sign, which is why they boo'd. The worst thing about racism in Boston is people mentioning it.

Gattsu25

Banned
This isn't a shitpost or some stealth ignorance thing, I really haven't seen it before.
Listen to these:
Part 1: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/228-boston-busing-1974
Part 2: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/229-boston-busing-1975

Edit: Sorry, was on my way to work and wasn't able to spend much time on this post.

The Dollop is a comedy podcast hosted by two comedians who go into detail on various periods of (primarily) American history. Those two episodes are about how Boston in the 70s decided to integrate their schools and how the sight of black kids attending previously all white schools resulted in the city of Boston losing their fucking minds.

Sanjuro

There's nothing ambiguous about that sign. The fans perfectly understood the sign, which is why they boo'd. The worst thing about racism in Boston is people mentioning it.

Nobody at the game, even the media had a clear idea of what this was about. Wasn't until after when they were able to speak with the ejected fans and Antifa posts after the game.

Good thing you had some time to think it over!
Whether its about tye Cpnfederacy or White Nationalism, the common link they all jave is denying that they are promoting racism. Every single one of them from Richard Spencer down denies they are personally racist even as they spew vile racist garbage. Someone who acknowledges that history in our country couldn't be anything other than an anti-racist.

This isn't rocket science here.

Sanjuro

Whether its about tye Cpnfederacy or White Nationalism, the common link they all jave is denying that they are promoting racism. Every single one of them from Richard Spencer down denies they are personally racist even as they spew vile racist garbage. Someone who acknowledges that history in our country couldn't be anything other than an anti-racist.

Sure. I don't think anyone is denying that aspect of the banner.

Infinite

This isn't a shitpost or some stealth ignorance thing, I really haven't seen it before.
Racism isn't just dudes yelling slurs at marginalized groups. NYC for example is racist as fuck through its institutions such as criminal justice, the police, and education where they are literally the most segregated school system in the country.

Onemic

This. Especially when I think much of the same posters questioning this are the same ones who would say exactly what youre saying. That a racist never wants to be considered a racist or associate themselves with that term. Now all of a sudden it's different for some reason.

Kyzer

Banned
False. Most of the world is racist and have been since long before America. This is another hamburger hot dog situation, stop stealing shit America!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
False. Most of the world is racist and have been since long before America. This is another hamburger hot dog situation, stop stealing shit America!

So do you actually not understand what they're saying?

sibarraz

Banned
I know some racists who never deny being racists, believing than thats how life should be and that everyone in the deep of their hearts is racists

In that sense, I could see why some people could be confused with the message

I get why they used Baseball, but wasn't Baseball also the first major US sport to desegregate?

I'm not pretending that when Jackie Robinson got to play that racism in baseball vanished or anything, but it was undeniably a major change.

jbug617

Banned
CSNNE got some one from the group and that person released a statement. The person said Boston Antifa was not part of this

Quote from a Planner in the group
The protest group member who spoke to CSNNE said Antifa Boston's claim of responsibility for hanging the banner at Fenway Park is "ridiculous."

"The five of us are in no way associated with Antifa nor did Antifa Boston have anything to do with the action," the group member wrote via text.

As proof, they provided an image of the banner when it was being unfurled ahead of the demonstration, as a test.

“There were originally about eight people involved who had this idea, and those eight people come from various organizing groups in the Boston area,” the group member said by phone. “Mostly groups that affiliate with racial justice causes. And the banner came in response to the racist comments at the beginning of the season at Fenway [that Adam Jones spoke of].

“But overall, we saw, we see Boston continually priding itself as a kind of liberal, not racist city, and are reminded also constantly that it’s actually an extremely segregated city. It has been for a long time, and that no white people can avoid the history of racism, essentially. So we did this banner as a gesture towards that, to have a conversation about that.”

The Black Lives Matter movement was one of the group’s inspirations.

The banner's intended message didn't make it across to everyone clearly, however. On social media, some people thought the banner was promoting racism. Others simply noted ambiguity.

The group was somewhat surprised by the confusion.

"I guess we should have seen that coming, but we also didn’t think of it as an ambiguous message," the group member said. "It’s kind of telling that it is being interpreted as one."

The group expected to be ejected from Fenway Park. The group member said they had been in touch with IfNotNowWhen, a group that unfurled a banner with political messaging about the Middle East at Fenway in June.

A U.S. military veteran was honored as the banner was unfurled, but the group member said that timing was coincidental.

Group Statement
“We want to remind everyone that just as baseball is fundamental to American culture and history, so too is racism,” the group said in a written statement. “White people need to wake up to this reality before white supremacy can truly be dismantled. We urge anyone who is interested in learning more or taking action to contact their local racial justice organization.”
http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox...merican-banner-explains-anti-racist-statement

Slayven

Shows how willing people are willing to tap dance around bigotry then actually discuss it.

Kaep knees for police violence but somehow it because respect for military

Black Lives Matter "See I would be with you if you had a better slogan like Black lives matter too"

Trans rights are human rights "I would be with you but i need the black and white of genders"

Feminism "I would be down with Feminism if they weren't going to replace men with cloning tanks"

Damn that quote is some stone cold truth and echoes my feelings on Boston. I'm glad I was wrong when I initially thought it was some alt right nonsense.

That sign isn't wrong in the slightest. Racism is one of my fucked up foundations America was built on and continues to be built on. It's in the justice system, the work system, the political system, etc.

Racism has evolved to a point where it permeates from almost every aspect of life in America. And the sooner people realize that and accept that America is completely fucked with its subtle and not so subtle racism....the better and the sooner we can move to destroy that diseased and disgusting foundation of America and become a country where everyone is equal and no black person or any minority in general is oppressed by any of the systems of America.

Ristifer

Ehhh, when the sign is ambiguous, then that will be a main talking point, which will detract from the issue that needs to be discussed. I know people will call others ignorant or say that the sign was crystal clear. But this thread alone proves that the discussion can be derailed as quickly as it begins. The sign ends up failing as a result.

And that's the problem. In a social media culture, even a hint of ambiguity can pretty much eliminate worthwhile discussion. It'll snowball into a variety of topics that don't really need to be covered, while racism is avoided more and more. And this is after a sign comes out that is supposed to be anti-racism.

It's unfortunate that it turns out this way, but this thread proves it. Hell, now I'm talking about its ambiguity. But racism is the topic that needs to be addressed. I think the sign would've been better had it just said "We Need To Talk About Racism" and left it at that.

Amory

I moved to Greater Boston from Silicon Valley. The first thing that sticks out to me is just how freaking white this place is.

I went from a 36% white city to 93% white city. The difference is startling.
Curious where you got your numbers from... Boston is not 93% white.

Edit: ah, greater boston. nvm then

The sign is doing its job of pissing off people who have a problem with race, as well as creating discussion. That sign is far better than a "we should talk about racism sign".

That wouldn't mean anything in them states where they're not even allowed to use the word slave in textbooks.

That and that it hasn't stopped people from believing Irish people used to be slaves in America but just worked hard enough to get out unlike blacks.

The sign is doing its job of pissing off people who have a problem with race, as well as creating discussion. That sign is far better than a "we should talk about racism sign".

It could have been better. Something like "Racism is as bad as its ever been and it needs to end" but more eloquent obviously.

Ristifer

Not really. It's creating the wrong discussion topics. And I guarantee it's not pissing off people who are racist.

Top Bottom