• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Racism is as American as Baseball" -

besada

Banned
It's funny because I saw it, pointed it out to my wife and we both immediately assumed it was anti-racist. Maybe it's because I've seen similar sentiments a lot the past year or so?

Clearly, though, it was not as clear as the creators intended. A lot of people are misinterpreting it.

There have been similar sentiments all over the place since Charlottesville.

Thank you. I assumed that's where it was coming from, but connecting it to the term, "American" really doesn't make sense within the context. It just seems like it's worded poorly.

I totally agree that racism is terrible and prevalent in America, but saying it's American, is kinda dumb.

This country was literally built on the back of racism and still functions on the back of systemic racism. It hasn't gone anywhere and America wouldn't be what it is today, both the good and the bad, without racism. That's simply a fact.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That sign is all fucking wrong. Racism is way way way more American than Baseball could ever hope to be. Racism is more American than Uncle Sam eating an apple pie on the Fourth of July.

TalonJH

What ambiguity? The people holding the banner aren't smiling, so I doubt this was any fun for them, and they were ejected almost immediately, which they probably expected.

The message is pretty clear: White people need to get over being "shocked by all the racism on display since Trump was elected." It has always been here, white people just have the luxury of forgetting about it or ignoring it when it suits them.

besada

Banned
Shit I mean how many Central/South American dudes play in MLB? It's the majority isn't it?

You really just aren't understanding this at all, are you?

Think "As American as Apple Pie, Hot Dogs, and Baseball"

Baseball is seen as the national sport and uniquely American. They're saying racism is every bit as American, that it's a fundamental part of our character as Americans, that it's always been with us.

It's got dick all to do with the racial composition of modern baseball teams.

Litan

Not at all sometimes subtley goes along way. Non violent peaceful statement that is hard to just brush off.
That doesn't even make sense. You think it's a statement that doesn't take any real stance but it's 'hard to brush off'?

But it's pretty obvious from the previous post you're one of those both sides people. Like your protests safe, and sterile.

You're denying the truth more than America denies its racism.
What am I denying?
You really just aren't understanding this at all, are you?

Think "As American as Apple Pie, Hot Dogs, and Baseball"

Baseball is seen as the national sport and uniquely American. They're saying racism is every bit as American, that it's a fundamental part of our character as Americans, that it's always been with us.

It's got dick all to do with the racial composition of modern baseball teams.
No I get it. I'm saying racism is much more American than baseball especially these days.

Yes.

Very blatantly too.

"My parents raised me to avoid Black people and it's worked so far in keeping me out of trouble."

If you're a PoC that White people have identified as "an exception" compared to everyone else in your racial group, then you could navigate into White spaces where their racism is very self-aware.

That same conservative doesn't actually think that's racist, though.

gogosox82

As a non-American, I thought only the south was stereotyped as being racist. Why Boston?

Boston has a long and storied history of racism. Many black pro athletes talk about hating playing in Boston because of the racism. Bill Russell is still resentful of Boston to this day because of all the racist bullshit he had to put up with when he played and coach the Celtics in the 50's and 60's.

TalonJH

Thank you. I assumed that's where it was coming from, but connecting it to the term, "American" really doesn't make sense within the context. It just seems like it's worded poorly.

I totally agree that racism is terrible and prevalent in America, but saying it's American, is kinda dumb.

They are using the American saying "...as American as apple pie" or "...as American as Baseball. The saying basically means _____ is woven into American culture. The sign basically reads, "Racism it apart of American culture. It's not wrong. From the moment American was "discovered" they thought themselves better than the Natives whom Americans commited genocide against. They thought themselves better than blacks whom Americans enslaved. They thought themselves better than the Japanese that they intured. Etc.

I- I thought it was pretty clearly anti-racist. In fact, I can't see how this is being read as pro-racist.
It is anti-racist, and the remarks of the sign holders confirm it.

However, if an avowed white supremacist were holding the sign, "racism is as American as baseball" could be interpreted as saying "racism is as normal and everyday as this game, get over it."

Racism is definitely not exclusively American, like some even here on GAF would lead you to believe. Racism exists just about everywhere in different forms.

Well, no shit.

It's also deeply embedded in America's DNA, and is pretty much what the country was founded on. It existing elsewhere doesn't make America's sin any lesser.

MaulerX

Racism is definitely not exclusively American, like some even here on GAF would lead you to believe. Racism exists just about everywhere in different forms.

Absolutely. As if people forget it were the Europeans that came to America and killed the natives to make the land their own.

Geist-

I'm surprised people were questioning whether it was pro or anti-racism, racists don't use the word racism when describing their beliefs.

p2535748

Seems like a lot of people have never heard the phrase "as American as Mom, baseball and apple pie." It's fairly common. The sign had nothing to do with baseball other than they choose that part of the phrase because they were at a baseball game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
More American than baseball, really. Baseball didn't become popular until the mid-1850's. Racism's been the team sport of America since before it was America.

EXCUSE ME I know you're a mod but I just listened to the Hamilton soundtrack and most founding fathers and influential people were of color. Even Peggy.

I'm in pretty much every racism thread and I've never seen anyone, even the more radical and occasionally annoying posters, even try to insinuate that racism is uniquely American.

You have to do better if you'd like to be taken seriously.

Afrikan

Shit I mean how many Central/South American dudes play in MLB? It's the majority isn't it?

I've heard this argument before from football "fans".

How can the owners be racist when there are so many black players in the league? DUH!

not that I think all the owners are racist.

This is quite obviously a banner condemning America for being racist. If you can't see that then you are way too dense or being intellectually dishonest for the sake of argument.

You may be able to read other intentions into it as well, for instance, no city in America -- not even liberal enclave Boston and Massachusetts -- is free from racism. But, at least how it's written, it's obviously not an endorsement or defense of racism.

If I'm wrong then I'll eat my sneaker.

You mean the players who are constantly scolded to play the "right" way (hint at what that is code for)?

Not sure how that relates to what I'm saying. My point there was if a significant portion of the people playing the sport aren't American then the sport itself isn't some shining beacon of American culture anymore,

oh, well then n/m. Even though the makeup of the players is largely hispanic now, the institution of baseball is very much an american one. It's still considered the national past time, even if it's maybe the 3rd most popular sport.

I've heard this argument before from football "fans".

How can the owners be raciest when there are so many black players in the league. DUH!
Not sure how that relates to what I'm saying. My point there was if a significant portion of the people playing the sport aren't American then the sport itself isn't some shining beacon of American culture anymore.
You mean the players who are constantly scolded to play the "right" way (hint at what that is code for)?
Them and the 7 black dudes who are in the league, I know what that's all about believe me.

D i Z

Boston has a long and storied history of racism. Many black pro athletes talk about hating playing in Boston because of the racism. Bill Russell is still resentful of Boston to this day because of all the racist bullshit he had to put up with when he played and coach the Celtics in the 50's and 60's.

Don't even need to go that far back. The Boston Busing Riots.
As an added bonus, there's a two part podcast on the entire event by the fella's at The Dollop that is really good.

Edit: Should probably link part 2 for ease of use while I'm at it.

Not sure how that relates to what I'm saying. My point there was if a significant portion of the people playing the sport aren't American then the sport itself isn't some shining beacon of American culture anymore,

For what it's worth, the overwhelming number of baseball players, with the exception of those from Asia and maybe a handful from Europe or Africa, are Americans.

Baseball has always been an immigrants' game, and that's part of why it's always been so popular. That's part of why it's considered "Americas past time" romantically, because The US has always been a land of immigrants.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Here's a useful way of thinking about it.

Name a place in America. It can be any place.

Got one?

Okay, that place you're thinking of is racist.

Woke af post I guess, but was obviously asking about people calling out Boston specifically in posts and not "America"

Them and the 7 black dudes who are in the league, I know what that's all about believe me.
It gets worse. There are like ~50 black pitchers on all of the minor league teams (a pool of thousands of players) ... and five catchers.

Same as the black quarterback problem, they get coached out of playing the "smart" positions, and their "natural athleticism" is harnessed in other roles.

p2535748

Woke af post I guess, but was obviously asking about people calling out Boston specifically in posts and not "America"

I'd suggest looking up "Boston bussing riots" on Google and reading the Wikipedia page for a quick (and very incomplete) primer.

Top Bottom