• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamplin

Banned
Whaaa? How could i possibly relate to her noooow!
angst

*sobs*

jorma

is now taking requests
Well, context is important too. Panem is N. America (Or at least a large section of it) & District 11 is where cotton & food is grown and two of its residents are darker than what Katniss is used to seeing and both are in the games. This is all from the first book.

Now by the time you get to the second book, there should be no doubt that black people reside in greater numbers in District 11 unless you willfully ignore it or don't really know how to read. In fact, I was wondering if the Capital segregates even though the Capital itself seems to be multicultural.

Yeah you are right of course. All i had to go on was the few lines of text given in the OP. And i'm probably also more naturally inclined to think olive brown skin over black skin because it's a lot more common where i live.

EYEL1NER

Most of those are definitely racist, but from the description of 'dark brown skin,' I can see why some people might be surprised.
When I read a book, I make up a really good image of how the characters look. And then when I see a movie or cartoon or something I am typically surprised because they don't match up.

As it has been said, people can interpret 'dark brown skin' different. My wife is filipina and though the would kill me if she heard me say it (since she wishes she was white and everything), I consider her skin dark brown. She's not black though.
I can understand the "Whoa, I didn't see that coming!" comments.

The people who are like "What, she's black? Fuck that movie" though? They can go to hell.

Edit: yes the last tweet is racist but the rest arent that bad.

idiot said:
I'm still pissed that rue is black

not that bad

idiot said:
EWW rue is black?? I'm not watching

not that bad.

idiot said:
HOW ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE RUE A FREAKIN BLACK BITCH IN THE MOVIE?!?!??

not that bad.

Well, it's good to know where you stand in any case.

squidyj

WHAT? SHE'S BLACK?

I was never going to see this movie to start with but now I'm curious. Is Lenny Kravitz any good? That's really all I took away from this because well... racists gonna racist.

Onemic

Most of those are definitely racist, but from the description of 'dark brown skin,' I can see why some people might be surprised.
When I read a book, I make up a really good image of how the characters look. And then when I see a movie or cartoon or something I am typically surprised because they don't match up.

As it has been said, people can interpret 'dark brown skin' different. My wife is filipina and though the would kill me if she heard me say it (since she wishes she was white and everything), I consider her skin dark brown. She's not black though.

The people who are like "What, she's black? Fuck that movie" though? They can go to hell.

theres something wrong there...

jorma

is now taking requests

Yeah some of them seems to only become suspect because they are presented right next to openly racist tweets.

Dude Abides

Banned
It is called hyperbole. Technically Snookie would fit the description of dark brown skin. Being surprised that dark brown skin = black isnt surprising or unacceptable. As i already said, no one here can tell another person how they imagine something. So if someone is surprised what can you do about it? Nothing. How you can find such a thing unacceptable is just dumbfounding too.

(1) "dark brown skin" is not a "technical" term.

(2) No she wouldn't.

xbhaskarx

WTF Rue is black?!? As a diehard fan I refuse to watch this Hollywood trash... I always pictured Rue looking more like this:
9960_rue-mcclanahan.jpg

I have no idea what this movie is about
Golden Girls fan 4 life

Edit: Lenny Kravitz is black AND Jewish, that's like twice as offensive!

Misfits

Neo Member
Not relevant but Cato didn't look as I thought he would. Was somewhat disappointed by how small thresh looked compared to the tributes from 1 and 2 district.

You do know that so called "black people's" skin is not actually black but dark brown yeh? So your wife must not have dark brown skin but something more resembling an olive complexion.

Well, it's good to know where you stand in any case.

nice selection of comments ripped out of their context.

besides "EWW rue is black?? I'm not watching"

lol, racism

Ricky_R

I'm writing here on a completely neutral position, but I don't understand how can people be surprised, annoyed or angry due to Rue's cast.

She clearly has dark brown skin. It's not like her skin is as dark as Djimon Hounsou's for people to be reacting this way. Her skin color is exactly like the book describes, so if "fans" are angry, I can only guess it's because they don't like her features. Skin color shouldn't be a problem here.

rue.jpg

akira28

those are the tweets dude. their context is only 120 characters or less.

She sure is a cutie though. I say they made a good casting call for a sympathetic character.

EYEL1NER

theres something wrong there...

I'm not going to claim all filipinas wish they were white or anything, because that is obviously dumb and not true. But it's not just my wife. Every filipina I know here stays out of the sun because they don't want their skin to darken and they all buy skin-whitening soap imported at the local fil-am stores. A chick moved here and joined the church and though she is filipina, she is almost transparent. Her skin is very pale with a pink tinge and everyone here including my wife raved and drooled over how beautiful here white skin is.

It's weird. But I consider her to have dark skin. And she hates it.

You do know that so called "black people's" skin is not actually black but dark brown yeh? So your wife must not have dark brown skin but something more resembling an olive complexion.
Samus covered it already, but there are a lot of dark Filipinos. Certainly not to the extent of some Thais, who can be very dark. But there are a lot. They are certainly darker than most other Asian races such as Japanese or Korean, but that is because they are more 'islanders' than 'Asians.'

because its unheard of to use the term bitch when referring to a woman

"that black girl is one hot bitch"

"excuse me sir but thats racist"

"and your also a pedophile"

lol

You're right that people use the word bitch too casually these days, but the question is if they are using the word bitch only because they are talking about a black girl, and since the post already has a negative bent, it's pretty easy to see that their may be some racism in it.

I mean I don't know, maybe the poster is super casual in his speaking and I'm adding my own context and viewpoints to it, but going "WTF BLACK BITCH" and then stating he's angry about it comes off pretty badly. Not like man " what a cool black bitch". Then again, I wouldn't talk like that either way.

akira28

because its unheard of to use the term bitch when referring to a woman

"that black girl is one hot bitch"

"excuse me sir but thats racist"

"and your also a pedophile"

lol

back away folks. just step back. We're going to set up some perimeter tape, do not cross.

LM4sure

Banned
What people are saying is disappointing, sad, stomach-churning, and just plain racist.

Piss off.

I didn't see anything stomach-churning. What a bunch of sensationalist bullshit.

But I am shocked too to find out that Rue is black. Am I racist for missing that in the book?!?!?

2th

Banned
They are FULL ON racists. There's the N-word, calling somebody a black b*tch etc. They don't even hide it.

not all of them though. only a few of the 10 tweets in the OP of this thread are overtly racist. there are a few that are more shock/surprised that the character is not what they had imagined.

Your right, but the question is if they are using the word bitch only because they are talking about a black girl, and since the post already has a negative bent, it's pretty easy to see that their may be some racism in it.

there may be but there isnt enough evidence to determine either way. Id rather take it for what it is, a silly ignorant comment, than attach some deeper meaning to fuel my argument. You know, innocent until proven guilty

They are FULL ON racists. There's the N-word, calling somebody a black b*tch etc. They don't even hide it.
"nah, I just pictured darker skin, didn't take it all the way to black" isn't FULL ON racist.
2th said:
not all of them though. only a few of the 10 tweets in the OP of this thread are overtly racist. there are a few that are more shock/surprised that the character is not what they had imagined.
You've got it backwards. Only a couple of the tweets aren't blatantly racist.

Ploid 3.0

snookie is dark brown... that skin is brown. by definition of the color. not the racial/ethnic stuff.

If you dont get the point, im playing devils advocate and that the people decrying the idiots who made the tweets are just as dumb. This is a stupid thing for anyone to be paying attention to.

If you think that Snookie pic is dark brown then I guess you're one of the people that think black people's skin is actually black as tar. Btw it's usually brown, light brown, bright tan, to dark brown.

Onemic

I'm not going to claim all filipinas wish they were white or anything, because that is obviously dumb and not true. But it's not just my wife. Every filipina I know here stays out of the sun because they don't want their skin to darken and they all buy skin-whitening soap imported at the local fil-am stores. A chick moved here and joined the church and though she is filipina, she is almost transparent. Her skin is very pale with a pink tinge and everyone here including my wife raved and drooled over how beautiful here white skin is.

It's weird. But I consider her to have dark skin. And she hates it.

Samus covered it already, but there are a lot of dark Filipinos. Certainly not to the extent of some Thais, who can be very dark. But there are a lot. They are certainly darker than most other Asian races such as Japanese or Korean, but that is because they are more 'islanders' than 'Asians.'

I guess it's because Filipinos are the equivalent of black people in Asia. It's strange how racist some asians are toward filipino's simply because they are darker.

akira28

They're definitely full on racists, and I bet they don't just hate blacks but all non-whites.

(guys, Operation Iraqi Freedom is on like Donkey Kong. Lets do this. We'll fight them here, so they don't have to fight them over there.)

Lich_King

I thought all the dark brown people we are bombing were middle-eastern or something, but apparently in America there is only black and white...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom