• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

For the record, I was being sarcastic.

But this whole thing is not a big deal. Just some shitty website trying to make it into a big deal. Rue is black. I thought she was white. So what? At the end of the day it doesn't matter. The book was not overly specific in the fact that Rue was intended to be black. I can understand why many other people are surprised. It doesn't make them racist.

I guess calling her a nigger isn't racist amirite? Or saying that they were less sad that she died because she is black isn't racist either?

maybe you are too blinded by race and automatically think that dark brown means black?

it is all about perception. snookie is a brown. it certainly isnt a white or orange. now she isnt black. but her skin color in that picture i posted is most certainly brown.

no she isn't. I've never heard one person call snooki or a tanned person brown, not one.(not even to mention dark brown as referenced in the book) It would make more sense if you used a south asian person instead of Snooki, as a lot of people think of a south asian person when you talk of a person that is brown or dark brown. You're really reaching with this.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Piss off.

I didn't see anything stomach-churning. What a bunch of sensationalist bullshit.

But I am shocked too to find out that Rue is black. Am I racist for missing that in the book?!?!?

I guess if it is the type of language you use daily it wont be stomach-churning for you.

But this whole thing is not a big deal. Just some shitty website trying to make it into a big deal. Rue is black. I thought she was white. So what? At the end of the day it doesn't matter. The book was not overly specific in the fact that Rue was intended to be black. I can understand why many other people are surprised. It doesn't make them racist.

So you can read and understand an entire book, but you don't understand how those tweets are racist. Wow.

JCreasy

Someone might have said this already, but, after reading about this, is it really any wonder that there is certain segment of our society that is hoping to paint murder victim Treyon Martin as a would-be criminal that deserved to get shot?

original.jpg

Really?

LM4sure

Banned
So you can read and understand an entire book, but you don't understand how those tweets are racist. Wow.

Why don't you go on twitter and search for any number of racist terms and see the thousands upon thousand results you find. People are racist. Get used to it.

And I'm not arguing that some of the responses are racist. But someone being surprised that she was black does not make them racist. It's surprising!

gwarm01

This is kind of funny. Now that I think about it, I don't really remember how I pictured Cinna when I read the books. I think he was cast perfectly in the movie though. It's not like they cast Kevin Smith as President Snow.

As for Rue.. I mean, what did they expect? Are people really complaining that Rue is black?

"Sense when has Rue been a nigger" (spelling and punctuation unchanged)

"Kk call me racist but when I found out Rue was black
her death wasn't as sad.
"

Bgamer90

Banned
Someone might have said this already, but, after reading about this, is it really any wonder that there is certain segment of our society that is hoping to paint murder victim Treyon Martin as a would-be criminal that deserved to get shot?

original.jpg

Really?

::Facepalm::

Man these past few weeks have further shown me how stupid people are.

LM4sure

Banned
"Sense when has Rue been a nigger" (spelling and punctuation unchanged)

"Kk call me racist but when I found out Rue was black
her death wasn't as sad.
"

Racism is a big deal. Ok....but this incident is not a big deal. Just a blip in the ongoing racism that permeates the globe.

GEt used to it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17hneuahestnvjpg/original.jpg[IMG]

Really?[/QUOTE]

Don't direct link that spoiler.

neojubei

Why don't you go on twitter and search for any number of racist terms and see the thousands upon thousand results you find. People are racist. Get used to it.

I refuse to get use to it. People fought, suffered and die so we all don't have to "get use to it"

CHEEZMO™;36385684 said:
This reminds me of CJgate.

I remember that.

Ploid 3.0

I have to stop looking at that chart, it's making me second guess my monitor calibration. ><

Rosy Brown looks pink to me, anyone else? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Satch

Banned
Racism is a big deal. Ok....but this incident is not a big deal. Just a blip in the ongoing racism that permeates the globe.

GEt used to it.

You're in a thread where people are making fun of racist dummies for being racist dummies.

This is as it should be.

LM4sure

Banned
I refuse to get use to it. People fought, suffered and die so we all don't have to "get use to it"

But you're not going to change anyone's opinion on race so if you're not going to get used to it, please tell me what you are going to do. What have you done to change people's minds? What results have you had?

I'm guessing you've done nothing. So either do something or get used to it.

Bgamer90

Banned
But you're not going to change anyone's opinion on race so if you're not going to get used to it, please tell me what you are going to do. What have you done to change people's minds? What results have you had?

Great attitude to have!!!!

Satch

Banned

Don't project your cowardice on other people.

Talon

Really? You don't think its worth our time to dispute that this is a social norm?

So, it would be better to ignore this and tacitly accept it? Okay, buddy.

neojubei

If i see it, hear it or read it I will say something. I've dealt with ignorant racist family members and even if I cannot change their mind I will always make sure to let them know what they think is completely wrong. So no I will never deal with it.

tumblr_m0jtqmyn921rqcxjuuc.png

So the girl who played Rue does not look innocent or cute?

And I'm not arguing that some of the responses are racist. But someone being surprised that she was black does not make them racist. It's surprising!

I'm not convinced you even know what it is you're arguing. Me searching for racist tweets is going to help your reading comprehension improve? How? "It doesn't make them racist" is pretty clear cut. If you're going to attempt to defend the indefensible, at least let the topic swirl around your head for a couple seconds before you put finger to keyboard.

Really? You don't think its worth our time to dispute that this is a social norm?

So, it would be better to ignore this and tacitly accept it? Okay, buddy.

I don't want to call him a racist, but it's clear he doesn't care. Saying get used to it is the argument of someone who is perfectly fine and at peace with that behavior. They are the ones who do not want change. Hence his first post.

maybe you are too blinded by race and automatically think that dark brown means black?

it is all about perception. snookie is a brown. it certainly isnt a white or orange. now she isnt black. but her skin color in that picture i posted is most certainly brown.

I FELL OUTTA MY FUCKING SEAT!

interestingly, all the people around me had to say when they saw her was how cute she was. like, every time she was on the screen, "awww....she's soooo cute!"

all white people. helps me remember these twitter nutbags are outliers.

anyway, I hope my daughter is that cute.

edit: THESE PEOPLE GET A GAF DEFENSE FORCE TOO??? OMG...

LM4sure

Banned
I don't want to call him a racist, but it's clear he doesn't care. Saying get used to it is the argument of someone who is perfectly fine and at peace with that behavior. They are the ones who do not want change. Hence his first post.

LOL, yeah sure. I guess you don't get used to it by posting on an internet forum and complaining. If that gets results, good for you!

JCreasy

This story has motivated me to dig back into writing my own novel, where the lead character is African American. I'm going to take this shit and turn it into something positive.

I hope iBooks Author deploys a novel template soon.

At this point I have to laugh, otherwise my head will melt. It's clear many people associate black with being bad, wrong, or disgusting.

"Rue is not the innocent little [white] girl I imagined?! Shes some stupid black girl? Ew!"

SMH. Seriously.

Tim Wise said:
Empathy &#8212; real empathy, not the situational and utterly phony kind that most any of us can muster when social convention calls for it &#8212; requires that one be able to place oneself in the shoes of another, and to consider the world as they must consider it. It requires that we be able to suspend our own culturally-ingrained disbelief long enough to explore the possibility that perhaps the world doesn&#8217;t work as we would have it, but rather as others have long insisted it did.

Empathy, which is always among the first casualties of racist thinking, mandates our acceptance of the possibility that maybe it isn&#8217;t those long targeted by oppression who are exaggerating the problem or making the proverbial mountain out of a molehill, but rather we who have underestimated the gravity of racial domination and subordination in this country, and reduced what are, in fact, Everest-sized peaks to ankle-high summits, and for our own purposes, rather than in the service of truth.....

...After all, we are a society in which research has shown quite conclusively that local newscasts overrepresent blacks as criminals, relative to their actual share of total crime, and overrepresent whites as victims, relative to our share of victimization.

A society in which other studies have shown that these racially-skewed newscasts have a direct relationship to widespread negative perceptions of black people. Indeed, a substantial percentage of anti-black racial hostility can be directly traced to media imagery, even after all other factors are considered....A society in which anti-black racism has been so long ingrained that not only most whites, but also most Latinos and Asian Americans, demonstrate substantial subconscious bias against African Americans in study after study of implicit racial hostility (and even about a third of blacks themselves demonstrate anti-black racism).....

Black males are, for far too many in America, a racial Rorschach test, onto which we instantaneously graft our own perceptions and assumptions, virtually none of them good. Look, a black man on your street! Quick, what do you see? A criminal. Look, a black man on the corner! Quick, what do you see? A drug dealer. Look, a black man in a suit, in a corporate office! Quick, what do you see? An affirmative action case who probably got the job over a more qualified white man. And if you don&#8217;t believe that this is what we do &#8212; what you do &#8212; then ask yourself why 95 percent of whites, when asked to envision a drug user, admit to picturing a black person, even though blacks are only 13 percent of users, compared to about 70 percent who are white? Ask yourself why whites who are hooked up to brain scan monitors and then shown subliminal images of black men &#8212; too quickly for the conscious mind to even process what it saw &#8212; show a dramatic surge of activity in that part of the brain that reacts to fear and anxiety?

Ask yourself why whites continue to believe that we are the most discriminated against group in America &#8212; and that folks of color are &#8220;taking our jobs&#8221; &#8212; even as we remain roughly half as likely to be out of work and a third as likely to be poor as those persons of color. Even when only comparing persons with college degrees, black unemployment is about double the white rate, Latino unemployment about 50 percent higher, and Asian American unemployment about a third higher than their white counterparts.

Fits perfectly with said topic, tweets, and responses in here.

Talon

Yes, these folks are obvious nutbag outliers.

There's a phenomena we talked about in journalism school where only extremes are reported and thus conflated as the middle position. Unfortunately, its justified by the fact that it's what people expect to read.

You don't care about headlines like:
Violent Crimes Significantly Lower
Americans Living Longer Than Ever
98% of Americans Healthy

These are the headlines that sell:
Camden, New Jersey Most Violent City in the Country
Heart Disease is Number One Killer
2% of Americans Morbidly Obese

Story may be the same, but the impression is different.

JCreasy

If i see it, hear it or read it I will say something. I've dealt with ignorant racist family members and even if I cannot change their mind I will always make sure to let them know what they think is completely wrong. So no I will never deal with it.

tumblr_m0jtqmyn921rqcxjuuc.png

So the girl who played Rue does not look innocent or cute?

She had one of the sweetest faces I've ever seen on screen.

Rueactress.jpg

My wife almost cried when she died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom