• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racists Getting Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShift

Pretty disappointing the narrative some of you are pushing that anyone who isn't in favour of doxxing and mob justice in general is a racist or an obstacle or whatever. Nice.

Pretty disappointing the narrative some of you are pushing that anyone who isn't in favour of doxxing and mob justice in general is a racist or an obstacle or whatever. Nice.

Equally disappointing is the narrative that this is "doxxing and mob justice". Apparently using the avenues that companies openly provide for complaints is "vigilantism".

OT but no one answered

Is there a Die Hard/Crossed crossover I don't know about?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399457

On topic, if I had a business I'd want to know how my employees were representing it. I'd probably warn people up front that they should take precautions with identifying themselves with the business in their personal internet activities. My boss warned me when I was hired.

If I knew the front line employees of a business were posting such hatred on their own time, I would not want to interact with them. Especially would not want someone who would hate me for my skin color serve me food or deliver anything to my home.

Mob justice and doxxing are generally terrible because of false positives. Innocent people getting caught in the line of fire. That's not the issue here and most people have a problem with this not because of possibly innocent individuals being harassed but because legitimate racists lost their job after saying incredibly racist things. Why you fail to make that distinction is curious.

Edit: and as other poster's have mentioned companies provide an avenue to comment or complain about their business and that's not limited to employee behavior that can and does affect the business negatively

Cedric

Never mind the private detectives, some of these people actually put their workplace info on their profile pages for everyone to see! How can you publicly associate yourself with your workplace (whatever your settings are on FB or Twitter), say racist shit, and expect everything to be OK? Of course I'd have an issue with this if these people were being fired for, let's say, supporting gay marriage, but this is hate speech we're talking about!

The connection between the racists and their employers aren't really made obvious until these guys call them out, though.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

I dunno, I find "waiting staff at Skooter's roadhouse" and "Truck driver at JK enterprise" to be an obvious connection...

Froli

Knowing that information in the internet is spread easily, you face consequences of your provoking actions.

Raistlin

Those are solutions that I'd be in favor of but you inevitably come to the point where achieving the greater good ends up protecting socially reprehensible individuals such as the ones emphasized by the OP, just as 1st amendment rights protect them from government persecution.

The question becomes whether or not one is willing to tolerate them free-riding on greater societal protections in order to achieve the greatest good for objectively defensible social minorities.

Unfortunately, some people lack the imagination for this discussion as seen below.

Your unwillingness to see my point is the reason you're perceiving me to be placing "hate speech on the same level as legit political opinions". I didn't place them there: ill-written, ill-conceived employment law throughout this nation have placed them there and it is our duty to question the wisdom of such lax protections even when they're wielded against people who deserve scorn.

When a body of law exists that places both defensible and indefensible ideological positioning on the same level, the question rightly becomes whether or not one should be gleeful in celebrating the destruction of the indefensible rather than concern that the same bludgeon is just as easily turned on the defensible. That is what I've been discussing this entire time.

Then shouldn't you be fighting to get the laws 'fixed' for defensible views, rather than arguing against people being called out for indefensible views? It's like burning down a house because you don't like the wallpaper in the dining room.

I mean, if what you fear were actually happening, then I'd say yes get it repealed immediately since it's not working as intended and is actually damaging innocents. But that isn't the case to my knowledge. There is a potential for abuse ... and it should be addressed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with US law it generally seems that modifying and existing law is more successful than repealing an existing law and then getting a modified version later passed under the same premise.

Reminds me of Obamacare. Of course many want it gone for either party or ideological reasons, but there is a pretty big contingent that simply object to certain points or features .... yet still want it repealed and started over. Historically that just doesn't seem like the best way to go about it. Modifying the existing law is typically the shortest path.

Coins

Banned
Perfect. You want to be a racist piece of shit? Go ahead and reap the whirlwind.

The sooner these Mensa candidates learn that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, the sooner we can leave them behind in society's rear view mirror.

Fuck 'em.

My neighbor is a cat hoarder. She watches Fox news and when she sees Obama on, she yells "fuck that nigger". She's mentally ill and is like 50 and stocks shelves at the local grocery over night. Should I record her and tell on her? If she was being racist on Twitter would it be shy different? We don't know these people except for their opinions. Nevermind the fact that maybe they have children to support. Should we take welfare away from racists?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I was fortunate enough to hear a conversation between a few lovely individuals over Thanksgiving dinner.

"It's sad these people can't get their acts together. I really thought we were past this."
"Have you noticed it's only them rioting, not us?"
"That's because we've moved past racism. They can't let it go."

I lean closer, and I know I shouldnt, but I have to ask.

"Who's they?"

"Niggers."

Uh, huh.

Times like that I wish I could hop in a plane and fly far away from everyone I know.

Unreal. Luckily, I think I don't know anyone who holds such racist beliefs, but boy, I sure hate it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oh yeah? What's disappointing is the tolerance some of you are pushing regarding a safe climate for this drek being posted without any sort of societal penalty. That's pretty telling.

The government isn't firing these people. Their peers are exposing their public statements - ones they were more than happy to make - to a wider audience that includes their employers. I'd actually be more impressed if these assholes doubled down on their convictions after getting fired instead of shrivelling up and scattering like cockroaches when the lights come on.

My neighbor is a cat hoarder. She watches Fox news and when she sees Obama on, she yells "fuck that nigger". She's mentally ill and is like 50 and stocks shelves at the local grocery over night. Should I record her and tell on her? If she was being racist on Twitter would it be shy different? We don't know these people except for their opinions. Nevermind the fact that maybe they have children to support. Should we take welfare away from racists?

Their employers know their situations.

kirblar

I really do believe people are predisposed to be prejudiced, considering you can find all types of racists all over the world.
I'm convinced narcissists are super-attracted to "identity" groups in general. Gives them the "easy out" to personal blame they desire.

Well I mean, racists certainly try their hardest to take welfare away from low income minorities.

Dice//

Banned
Good.
I think it's important to know that mean behaviour like this shouldn't be tolerated. The fact people say stuff like this publicly and online is baffling to begin with.

RedShift

Mob justice and doxxing are generally terrible because of false positives. Innocent people getting caught in the line of fire. That's not the issue here and most people have a problem with this not because of possibly innocent individuals being harassed but because legitimate racists oat their job after saying incredibly racist things.

That's not really my issue with it, though it certainly is a possibility (though I doubt any of the cases on that site were fake accounts or whatever). And I don't give a fuck about any of the shits posted on that site. My problem is it'll encourage people who feel exactly as strong about other issues which aren't as clear cut (e.g. abortion, Israel, gun control, eating meat...) to do the same thing, and start harassing people's workplaces

Why you fail to make that distinction is curious.

Fuck you. If you're going to try and imply I'm a racist come out and say it. Or why don't you just try and find out where I work and tell them I guess, apparently that's the way to do things nowadays.

Well, she's mentally ill, and welfare checks are different from employment, so your cute story doesn't hold water.

Terrible analogy aside, nobody is taking money from these people. The employers decide whether it's right for them to continue working at their company that they represent. Is it sad for the kids who have to live in a household full of racist idiots? Of course it is. But the fact of the matter remains that these people chose to do so when they know that the freedom of speech does not include freedom of consequence.

Or maybe they don't. But since they have access to the internet, maybe they should read up on that!

Edit: It's funny how people think the guys behind the tumblr are some sort of sleuths when these racist remarks are already public. Warp the narrative all you want, but all this stuff is loud and clear. Nobody broke into their homes. Nobody ransacked their personal diaries. These morons made their personal views clear as day on social media, in a public forum, if not multiple times. It would probably be a good idea to remember that.

This isn't like comparable in the slightest.

Oh yeah? What's disappointing is the tolerance some of you are pushing regarding a safe climate for this drek being posted without any sort of societal penalty. That's pretty telling.

The government isn't firing these people. Their peers are exposing their public statements - ones they were more than happy to make - to a wider audience that includes their employers. I'd actually be more impressed if these assholes doubled down on their convictions after getting fired instead of shrivelling up and scattering like cockroaches when the lights come on.
Meh, people should be allowed to hold their views and still work unless they're hurting people in a way that can actually be demonstrated. Live and let live.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Nobody cares about your bullshit analogies, thanks

Sounds like the only way you'd know she's saying shit would be to hang outside her window or the other side of the apartment wall. Which isn't public by a long shot. Let me know when she's posting "fuck that nigger" on Facebook, though.

If you're a racist piece of shit and you have kids, keep your trap shut in public. Or serve as an object lesson for your kids as to what happens when you put your hands on a hot stove. Either way.

"Won't somebody think of the racists?" Fuck them, they need to start thinking for themselves.

kirblar

"Slippery Slope" arguments are generally terrible. This one's no different. They're putting their information and opinions out there in public, these are the consequences.

People agree to disagree on lots of issues. (Israel, Gun Control, etc.) You can't get fired for an opinion there unless it's "We should bring the Nazi party back and give them guns!" Outright racism, however, is generally not tolerated by public-facing businesses in the modern age. Because it makes them look like shit. They have a right to protect their image.

surrrre. your 'neighbor'

Nobody cares about your bullshit analogies, thanks

Sounds like the only way you'd know she's saying shit would be to hang outside her window or the other side of the apartment wall. Which isn't public by a long shot. Let me know when she's posting "fuck that nigger" on Facebook, though.

If you're a racist piece of shit and you have kids, keep your trap shut in public. Or serve as an object lesson for your kids as to what happens when you put your hands on a hot stove. Either way.

"Won't somebody think of the racists?" Fuck them, they need to start thinking for themselves.

But bishop, racists are people too! It's a nonsense argument. People who are racist SHOULD be called out for it. There's no excuse for those sentiments and that kind of ignorance in this day and age and the fact that some people in here are actually defending them is the real reason why it still exists. It clearly isn't stigmatized enough for it to go away, which is a major problem

Vyroxis

Banned
I'd actually be more impressed if these assholes doubled down on their convictions after getting fired instead of shrivelling up and scattering like cockroaches when the lights come on.

In the end they are doing what they have to do to keep their jobs, nothing more. If anything they will simply keep their opinions (probably made worse by the inconvenience of having to find a new job), find new jobs, then find new ways to spew shit from their mouths on the internet without being found, like fake twitter accounts. The most wonderful part of the internet, you can be underground and heard by millions all at the same time.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Well deserved firings in these cases. No sympathy for those who escape to public forum like Twitter and Facebook and think there will not be consequences for their hate speech.

This. So much.

Loakum

Banned
This site is amazing.

You'll never believe what happened to these people after they posted!

tumblr_nfmdnxHpFC1qzih6bo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nfnm6tExms1qmrxp2o7_500.png

so much for "post racial america" after Obama got elected as Prez...

Raistlin

I can understand some people worrying about a slippery slope here. Particularly when many people are coming at this from the concept of 'employees reflecting badly on the employer or brand'. That certainly could be abused. You don't want a picture of you drunk at a bar leading to your dismissal.

But this isn't really even about that. This is about evidence of how an employee would actually deal with coworkers and customers that aren't white ... which actually has direct impact on the employer making money. They aren't really worried that someone is going to hear company X employs racists. They're worried that this employee will actually do or say something that at best will lose customers, and at worst will cause lawsuits either externally (customer) or internally (coworker).

I just have to say, when Chris Rock made a distinction between black people and niggers, he fucked up. I don't want to say anything as hyperbolic as that having set us back, but I've seen that sentiment expressed FAR too often to think it hasn't had some sort of impact

I wonder if he regrets ever saying that

Thorakai

You are putting way too much effort to make up a situation to make this look bad. Even assuming someone like this ever get caught in the crossfire of this site, it assumes that the people posting this stuff won't have the ability to use their judgment to identify someone who is mentally ill and just leave them alone.

Valhelm

contribute something
I was fortunate enough to hear a conversation between a few lovely individuals over Thanksgiving dinner.

"It's sad these people can't get their acts together. I really thought we were past this."
"Have you noticed it's only them rioting, not us?"
"That's because we've moved past racism. They can't let it go."

I lean closer, and I know I shouldnt, but I have to ask.

"Who's they?"

"Niggers."

Uh, huh.

Times like that I wish I could hop in a plane and fly far away from everyone I know.

Jesus Christ. Have you heard those people say awful things before?

Putting people on blast for some of the ignorant stuff said on social media is fine by me.
Do you think that people should be put on blast about what they say on forums too?

For example, the chinese eat dog comments/fuck the chinese comments or the anti Arab/middle east comment in any thread about the UAE on this forum?

Those were just from the last couple of days and some of them were banned for it..but I'm not sure how I'd feel about people calling their employers and wanting them to get fired for it.

In the end they are doing what they have to do to keep their jobs, nothing more. If anything they will simply keep their opinions (probably made worse by the inconvenience of having to find a new job), find new jobs, then find new ways to spew shit from their mouths on the internet without being found, like fake twitter accounts. The most wonderful part of the internet, you can be underground and heard by millions all at the same time.

That's fine. It's still a huge punishment to lose a job you've been at for years due to the bile you spew on the internet.

You miss a very important segment of this discussion: other people who say this shit might stop saying it for fear of losing their jobs as well. That is, if this website gets big enough.

Sure, they'll find new ways to be stupid. That's life. But they'll have to hide under a guise of some sort, a grainy picture of the confederate flag as their profile picture, their usual routine muted because someone might link them to the next job they get. And their "real" accounts will be filled with Candy Crush invites and awkward family photos.

You are effectively taking a route of power from them, and making them an example. It's not worthless in the least.

That's not really my issue with it, though it certainly is a possibility (though I doubt any of the cases on that site were fake accounts or whatever). And I don't give a fuck about any of the shits posted on that site. My problem is it'll encourage people who feel exactly as strong about other issues which aren't as clear cut (e.g. abortion, Israel, gun control, eating meat...) to do the same thing, and start harassing people's workplaces

Fuck you. If you're going to try and imply I'm a racist come out and say it. Or why don't you just try and find out where I work and tell them I guess, apparently that's the way to do things nowadays.
I'm not even going address the slippery slope fallacy as it's been addressed many times in this thread. What I will address is your odd behavior.

There was no emphasis on the word curious. There was no pause for dramatic effect. No ellipsis prefacing that word. For you to think I was calling you a racist because you're too naive or unintelligent on this specific matter to make simple distinctions is hilarious. But keep with that racist persecution complex you got going on, it's definitely going to work out for you.

jadedm17

Getting racists fired?
Game reviewer contacting moms of people who threaten her?
An internet with consequence? AWESOME!

studyguy

I just have to say, when Chris Rock made a distinction between black people and niggers, he fucked up. I don't want to say anything as hyperbolic as that having set us back, but I've seen that sentiment expressed FAR too often to think it hasn't had some sort of impact

I wonder if he regrets ever saying that

He did.

These defensives are hilarious and specific. Is your argument against why people shouldn't combat racism seriously "they'll just make new accounts"?

Metallix87

Something about this rubs me the wrong way. Employers should be free to punish their employees accordingly for such behavior, but the online vigilantes are certainly not something I see myself supporting.

King_Moc

Banned
I might try this while i'm bored on the internet one day. Fuck these scumbags who think they're safe to spew baseless racist crap all over the internet. Pretty sure employers wouldn't be happy to know that they're doing it while advertising their place of work either.

These defensives are hilarious and specific. Is your argument against why people should combat racism seriously "they'll just make new accounts"?

You should re-read what I wrote and who I was responding to.

Something about this rubs me the wrong way. Employers should be free to punish their employees accordingly for such behavior, but the online vigilantes are certainly not something I see myself supporting.

Really? Because this shit is on their Facebooks and Twitters, so open and brazen, and all these "vigilantes" are doing is sending a message to their listed jobs. Besides, if you are for the punishing of racist, why does it matter when their remarks are on a public forum?

We've all read what you said. The problem is that your entire argument is based on a slippery slope only you seem to think will happen. You think that just because a bunch of racists are fired that they're going to start coming for pro choice athiest gay people?

I see that "slippery slope" has become a popular phrase on the past couple of pages. "Slippery slope" arguments revolve around the concept that one outcome will invariably follow another without a demonstrable link to bridge the two.

What I'm discussing isn't hypothetical. Title VII protections of the Civil Rights Act only "prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin." (1) Note the verbiage: sex, not sexual orientation. Note the absence of political affiliation. Note the absence of any distinction between private and public behaviors or the requirement that some demonstrable harm be proven to justify a termination from private behavior.

Anyone who has actually paid attention to both the proliferation of social media and the evolution of both hiring/termination policies in unison with it knows that people have already been terminated for a slew of legally acceptable yet morally questionable acts such as owning a firearm, drinking, attending a bridal shower where a stripper was present, or being involved in pornography (2). People have been fired for their political affiliation or views both in and outside of work (3,4). It's still expressly legal to fire you for your sexual orientation in 29 states and people have been terminated for that reason(5, 6).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom