• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

uff ok, looks like the initial rush is in, time to read some myself now, will continue updating the OP in a little.

Also didn't want to include pcper alone on the op but they are doing a stream with Raja in about an hour.

wachie

Performance in-line with expectations, power draw not so much.

The bigger story here is that the 4GB models that are shipping today, are with the full 8GB. :)

For $200 thats pretty awesome performance. 970s are still going for $300 or close to it new, and this card slightly beats out the 970 with a full 4GB ram. $30-50 more for 8GB.

I do think that the 4GB card is probably the way to go, as the card itself doesnt seem powerful enough to drive resolutions where the 8GB would be helpful.

mike4001_

I am fine with the performance.

But the noise is a huge dealbeaker.

Will wait for partner boards with zero-fan idle and so on.

Xater

Someone looking at the PC Games Hardware benches? What the hell is going on with Wolfenstein the Old Blood? The 480 is at under 20 fps in 1080p.

bildschirmfoto2016-06x0u1x.png

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Was thinking of upgrading, but maybe it's better to wait for the 490 as I read that one should be on the market relatively soon as well?

Xyphie

Performance is about what I expected, between 390 and 390X at 1080p with 390 performing better on average at 1440p and above due to 512-bit bus.

Pricing currently makes it completely non-viable here in Sweden vs AIB 390/390X though which is unfortunate.

Renekton

The power consumption especially relative to 1070 makes me very worried for Vega scaling going forward.

On the flip side, this card topped the official performance/price chart so is the best value for VR-ready performance.

Zoon

If I get this will I be bottlenecked by the CPU ? I have an FX-8150 @3.9GHz and I can't afford a full rig replacement.

If I get this will I be bottlenecked by the CPU ? I have an FX-8150 @3.9GHz and I can't afford a full rig replacement.

You will be fine. It won't run as fast as it would on an i5 or i7, but it will run at around 80% of its potential I'd wager.

Breads

Banned
Where can I go to find amazon links once it's up? Because Amazon searches have yielded nothing so far and I don't want to miss out on the first run if I have a chance.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Coming from the 480 rumour thread I thought this was going to be as fast a 980, disappointed

People were crazy to think it was gonna be 980 performance.

That being said I do wish it was more in-between 970 and 980 performance wise.

Instead it's a slight hair above the 970.

Price still amazing though.

tkscz

Coming from the 480 rumour thread I thought this was going to be as fast a 980, disappointed

Not sure why you were actually expecting that from a $240 card (8GB). Definitely beats out my 380x, so it's worth upgrading.

Larogue

All these reviews are for the rx 480 with reference cooler.

Wait for the custom coolers from ASUS and MSI and it will blow away the 980.

Rodin

So it's close to the 980 in "neutral" games, but still beats the 970 even in games where Nvidia has an advantage. Very, very nice for a 200$ card.

riflen

Also looks like AMD needs to fix whatever's wrong with the driver and GTA V. If you like this game, I'd wait a bit. =/

27901911811_7017f71d6e_o.png

Neo_Geo

Banned
I'd love for NV to actually do a normal launch.

As would anyone with common sense. With the current situation of AMD only being able to compete with years old tech via price and Nvidia doing intentional paper launches to generate hype for cards overpriced by $200 or more, this crap will only continue. The market needs some stabilization with AMD/Nvidia competing at all levels of the tech ladder.

enemy2k

Some people were expecting 980 performance based on all the leaked benches and the hype people were spreading everywhere. Still a decent card tho. Interested to see how well these chips are overclocking.

taimoorh

So...all Nvidia has to do is drop the price of the GTX 970 by $50 OR release the GTX 1060 @ $250 (assuming it performs better than GTX 980) to make the RX 480 irrelevant.

Still, AMD were spot on with their claims of this being between GTX 970 - 980 performance.

The overall temperature and power usage still suck, though. I thought going FinFet would yield lower TDP...

Looks like it's extremely similar to a R9 390 overall.

The 390 seems to be slightly better, but considering its $75-100 more expensive than a 480, the 480 is a great value.

So what are we looking at for the 490 then? Better than 980 performance for $300. If so that would be an interesting card.

kami_sama

This has been a rollercoaster.
It seems the performance is a little better than a 970. I'll still wait for AIB, the cooler seems to be not enough.

The card seems to have a good price/performance value. But after reading the PCGH review, it seems like the card is unsuitable for my needs. It draws 150W-160W under load and potentially stresses the PEG port a little too much (since it can potentially draw more than 75W from it). It's not something that should concern regular users, but I don't want to stress my riser card with it.

Guess I'll have to wait for the 1060 or RX470.

Temps are my biggest concern and seem to be a common theme across all the reviews. The base boost clock is hitting 80C+ that's not good. Really really need to see how low custom AIB's can bring those temps for OC'ing. I'm really surprised at the temps though given the supposed TDP and wattage improvements. I really do wonder if that reference cooler is just that bad.

Looks like it's extremely similar to a R9 390 overall.

Yep. Looking to be a good card to recommend in the upper-mid range. It's just a shame they didn't get their high end offerings out in a timely fashion. Even when AMD has a competitive product in the high end segment with better value, they have sold less in the last few years. Six months late to the party and with Big Pascal hot on their heels it's going to be an uphill fight.

I'd love for NV to actually do a normal launch.

If I was on the fence, I'd just go buy an RX 480 today at Microcenter. Nvidia's lack of stock, FE bullshit, it's all horrendous.

So...all Nvidia has to do is drop the price of the GTX 970 by $50 OR release the GTX 1060 @ $250 (assuming it performs better than GTX 980) to make the RX 480 irrelevant.

The 970 isn't being made anymore. We'll see on the 1060 but I'm not holding my breath.

LordOfChaos

TR

An improvement that large is impressive until one considers that the GTX 1080s in the TR labs need 265W-300W of total system power to do their thing. To be fair, our power numbers are one measurement taken under one particular load and in one particular testing environment, and modern power management is a complicated thing with many input variables. All that said, our gut impression upon seeing these numbers is that Pascal is frighteningly efficient, more so than the GTX 1080 taken in isolation might have suggested. Our completely wild hunch is that Nvidia has tons of headroom to play with in designing a Pascal GPU to target this price class, if it wants to.

My impression too. Polaris is a big jump, but still not to new GTX efficiency.
Nvidia learned the lesson Intel did a long time ago that efficiency = power in a universe with physics and thermal limits. Do wonder what their 200 dollar-ish answer will be (they'll probably upcharge from AMD a bit).

Top Bottom