• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

It's worth noting that the 4GB $199 card is in fact slower than the 8GB variant that most sites have reviewed. Not much slower mind you, but it's a relatively tight race between 970-980-290-390-480 so the details matter. So when comparing those 8GB results to other cards, remember that it's a $239-249 card, not a $199 card. Sure, a little overclocking helps to get the 4GB performance up, but it helps all the other cards too.

The $199 card only lacks some fillrate and this card does not suffer from fillrate bottlenecks at 1080p anyway. They should be within a margin of error. This would only matter at 1440p above but then 4GB card for 1440p? No.

Marlenus

Reading more it looks like there is a lot of chip to chip variance. Computer base were able to get better performance after undervolting which also reduced power consumption.

Looks like the reference model is a bit of a dud but there is definitely potential for good quality after market cards.

Let's hope glofo can improve the process so the chips have less variation.

ApharmdX

Banned
Looking at the reviews, this is the best GPU you can get at that price point for the moment. Hopefully availability is good enough that AMD can see a rise in market share this cycle. I think I'm going to drop one in my mother-in-law's PC. She's got a decent case with good air flow and games at 1080p. It's pretty much the perfect use case for the RX480.

JaggedSac

From Canucks - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...9-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

DX11

EFKBFpm.jpg

DX12

GuKUibQ.jpg

DX12 results are interesting.

wachie

Would these numbers increase with newer drivers I wonder, and if they do how % wise would we see?
For what its worth, reviewers got a new driver just a few days ago that increased the performance by 5%.

With so many improvements under the hood, this is a very forward looking card compared to any of Nvidia's offerings in the segment. (see DX12 conclusions above)

Let's see:

- Performance at 970/390 levels
- Does not OC well at all (unlike the 970)
- Perf/W is similar to 970, a 28 nm product

I guess 199-239$ is the appropriate price for this card. It's a good deal for the moment given the new features and DX12 performance, but I don't see Nvidia having much trouble beating this card in a month or two.

Overall this really isn't the win AMD needed. My worries about AMD's chips just not clocking high for some reason were unfortunately warranted. Could be that GloFo 14nm isn't as good as TSMC 16 nm, and perhaps we'll see improvements with Vega. That said, this doesn't exactly give high hopes for AMD's high end either.

Phinor

It seems AMD did a good job. Congrats.

Also, this looks good:

82413.png

That's pretty false, AMD must have failsafes or something with Furmark because that doesn't look like any other power consumption chart. Look at actual gaming power consumption at Anandtech and every other site and you see 480 power consumption typically at around or more commonly just above 1070.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like this card isn't quite what I was hoping it would be. I guess I now wait to see what else Nvidia and AMD offer in the coming months.

Marlenus

Let's see:

- Performance at 970/390 levels
- Does not OC well at all (unlike the 970)
- Perf/W is similar to 970, a 28 nm product

I guess 199-239$ is the appropriate price for this card. It's a good deal for the moment given the new features and DX12 performance, but I don't see Nvidia having much trouble beating this card in a month or two.

Overall this really isn't the win AMD needed. My worries about AMD's chips just not clocking high for some reason were unfortunately warranted. Could be that GloFo 14nm isn't as good as TSMC 16 nm, and perhaps we'll see improvements with Vega. That said, this doesn't exactly give high hopes for AMD's high end either.

The chip to chip variance indicates that glofo had teething issues with this node. Hopefully it will get better over time and then the AIBs can do something good with the chip.

Still the power draw is very disappointing as I as expecting something more akin to the 7850 and that would have been good perf/watt.

Elman

I'm tempted to swap my OC'd 970 into a computer that I'm selling to increase its value, then use some of that money to replace the 970 with a 480 8GB.

It sounds like a great idea when you see numbers like this...

Gears_2560x1440_PER.png

...but then there's this:

GTAV_1920x1080_PLOT.png

GTAV_1920x1080_PER.png

GTAV_1920x1080_STUT.png

You can preach as much as you want about how DX12 is the future, but there are plenty of DX11 games that I want to play today. Driver problems or no, it looks like AMD will continue to have frametime-related issues with DX11 titles.

For $229, it's still a hell of a deal for anyone replacing an old card or buying their first. I think I'm going to hold out until AIB 1070's have matured and the supply issues have been squashed.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
That's pretty false, AMD must have failsafes or something with Furmark because that doesn't look like any other power consumption chart. Look at actual gaming power consumption at Anandtech and every other site and you see 480 power consumption typically at around or more commonly just above 1070.

Hm. That's weird.

//DEVIL//

I don't understand some of the logic regarding the price of the card. if I want to compare it to 970, then sure this one wins hands down. but honestly. who has 200$ to spend on a video card but cant afford another 150 $ for 1070 ? or 80$ more if you to buy a used 1070 ?

The card for its value is nice. but if I have to buy a card and I am limited in cash ( again, this is just ME personally speaking ). I would try to manage and find another 150$ and get one that is actually much higher performance. heck I would sell couple of the games I have on consoles if I am that short on cash and not buy a card that is the same level as a 970.

Don't get me wrong the 970 or this are actually good cards. but who knows what is the demand for upcoming games this year or next year will need to run games perfectly on ultra with 60 fps.

wachie

You can preach as much as you want about how DX12 is the future, but there are plenty of DX11 games that I want to play today.
Doesn't work when all you are doing is point one game out .. and from those FT graphs, it doesn't look like they've done a proper job for GTAV so maybe a fix coming soon.
I don't understand some of the logic regarding the price of the card. if I want to compare it to 970, then sure this one wins hands down. but honestly. who has 200$ to spend on a video card but cant afford another 150 $ for 1070 ? or 80$ more if you to buy a used 1070 ?

The card for its value is nice. but if I have to buy a card and I am limited in cash ( again, this is just ME personally speaking ). I would try to manage and find another 150$ and get one that is actually much higher performance. heck I would sell couple of the games I have on consoles if I am that short on cash and not buy a card that is the same level as a 970.

Don't get me wrong the 970 or this are actually good cards. but who knows what is the demand for upcoming games this year or next year will need to run games perfectly on ultra with 60 fps.
A lot of gaming market is still on 1080p with 960s, 760s, 750Tis, 7850s, 7870s, etc. This card is for them.

Second, a 1070 is not $150 more when its price gouged to hell and back.

Luigiv

Given 1070/80 results, I find it hard to imagine a scenario in which 1060 is not more power efficient than 480 (it will likely also be a bit more expensive, current rumours are 249 and 299 for the 3 and 6 GB variants).

Yeah, no question, though I'd also expect the 1060 to outperform the 480, on average, which will bridge the price gap to an extent (also it'll be interesting to see if those price re-evaluation rumours pan out). I'm just curious to see how it will all unfold and if AMD can realistically hold onto their current performance per dollar advantage.

Me.

It's not about being ABLE to afford, it's about what you think a decent GPU is worth to you. I would never pay $350 for just a graphics card. The only time I paid $200 or so abouts before was the 9800PRO. I will be shelling out $239 for this.

JaggedSac

Once you find that extra $150, you might as well find another $150 and get the next level up card.

wachie

UK pricing is affected due to brexit

Unfortunately, the RX 480’s launch price in the UK has been increased according to Andrew “Gibbo” Gibson from Overclockers UK:

This is due to the devaluation of Sterling from 1.43-1.44 to around 1.32. While AMD has provided me with the UK RRP, I’m interested to see if retailers charge more due to the uncertain financial market or it’s already been adjusted. Putting the Brexit vote aside, the RX 480 4GB version should retail for £180.00 while the 8GB has a recommended price of £215. This is marvellous value-for-money because the 4GB model is similarly priced to the GTX 960 and destroys it. Heck, I didn’t include the GTX 960 in the benchmarks given the poor performance at advanced presets.

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-graphics-card-review/13/

Xater

Which world do you live in in which the 1070 is that cheap?

KissVibes

Banned
I wonder if this would be the smart upgrade for my girlfriends PC. She has a GTX 550, which is very much on the old side, and isn't fairing so hot in Overwatch.

Renekton

I would recommend to save even more for the GTX1080 then.

Lupercal

Banned
How can the Max Power draw be 270+ W for the 480 RX when it's an 8 pin limited to 150W ?

In the Digital Foundry review.

Fitts

Looks like a good value! Had this been available last year it's what I would've gone with instead of a 960 and I wouldn't have bothered upgrading to a 1070. Still, I have to admit that seeing the benchmarks for the 480 only increases my satisfaction with the 1070. They're both excellent cards at their respective price points.

Now the 1060... that's where things are going to get interesting. Nvidia is already moving up the launch in reaction to the 480, but if they don't hit the same price/performance it'll truly be hubris on their part.

Tons of people have a strict budget limit they just won't cross. 1070 is unfortunately way past most people's comfort line at the moment. But you are right in the sense that if you can get a 1070 for the imaginary 379$ price point, it's a sure buy. That's just not the case in reality. I was considering getting a 1070, but the cheapest ones would cost me nearly 500€ shipped. Not going to happen.

1. The cheapest 1070 at least in the US is nearly twice the cost. Budget builders, people new to gaming or haven't upgraded in a while this is a great choice.

2. The vast majority of players are at 1080p

3. We really need to wait for custom AIB's to see how far this card can really be pushed.

Obviously it's not going to compare with a 1070 but there's plenty of people who simply don't need the power of he 1070 and don't want to pay for it. The 1070 is really designed as a 1440p high fps card or well VR but that's still very niche and will likely be so for a good while.

Seems like the reference cooler can't maintain the the 1266MHz Boost Clock too well. In one of Digital Foundry's videos during The Witcher 3 the clock speed was consistently in the 1100s. I'll wait for non-reference boards to come out. With better coolers and an extra 6-pin power connector this chip should be quite nice. Though performance per watt/dollar will go down. I don't think I've seen any reviews with over clocked memory either.

Nachtmaer

Holy fuck, I didn't actually think it would be that good a price in the UK but there it is.

I think I've found my 7850's replacement.

EDIT: Really can't decide if I should go for it now or if I should wait for a version with a better cooler. I really like my MSI 7850 for the twin fans, so quiet during down time.

If you aren't in a rush to replace your 7850, I'd say just wait until non-reference cards are out. I think I read that Sapphire will have a Vapor-X version in two weeks or so, but I'm not too sure about that.

Elman

Doesn't work when all you are doing is point one game out .. and from those FT graphs, it doesn't look like they've done a proper job for GTAV so maybe a fix coming soon.

It certainly isn't beating the 970 in DX11 titles:

DirtRally_1920x1080_PLOT.png

DirtRally_1920x1080_PER.png

DirtRally_1920x1080_STUT.png

Fallout4_1920x1080_PLOT.png

Fallout4_1920x1080_PER.png

Fallout4_1920x1080_STUT.png

The only exception is Witcher 3 (Hairworks OFF), where it's about 8-9% faster overall. It's not much worse than a 970 (which may or may not be OC'd in PCPER's testing), but that's not a good look for a 970-killer, let alone something that was originally hyped to be "between a 970 and a 980".

It's a good card with potential, but I don't think it is anywhere near the value it was hyped up to be, especially if you're waiting on non-reference designs. We're probably looking at $260-ish for those. It places around a 390 in terms of performance, which is where you would expect it fall. I mean usually the expectation for a new cycle is "New Gen x80" performs closely to 'Last Gen x90' but with greater power/temp efficiency, right?

The power efficiency advances made are huge but it still only serves to show how stellar Nvidia is on that front when you see a 1070 doing what it does at equal and sometimes lower wattage.

For someone who has a ceiling of $200 and wants a good 1080p DX12 card for the next 2 years, the 4GB is a no brainer IMO. But I do think anyone with slightly more cash to spend should probably wait out to see what the 1060 offers and how competitive Nvidia want to be with pricing.

//DEVIL//

Me.

It's not about being ABLE to afford, it's about what you think a decent GPU is worth to you. I would never pay $350 for just a graphics card. The only time I paid $200 or so abouts before was the 9800PRO. I will be shelling out $239 for this.
if you never paid a 350$ for a card dear, it means PC gaming isn't your #1 gaming system. maybe consoles are. because i don't remember cheap video cards since long time.

Once you find that extra $150, you might as well find another $150 and get the next level up card.
i thought the gtx 1080 is 250$ more expensive than than 350$ 1070

Which world do you live in in which the 1070 is that cheap?

well you right. right now cheapest is 400$
http://www.newegg.com/GIGABYTE/BrandStore/ID-1314
and its out of stock. but I would imagine the price will go down very soon ?

if you never paid a 350$ for a card dear, it means PC gaming isn't your #1 gaming system. maybe consoles are. because i don't remember cheap video cards since long time.

How about you fuck off and stop telling me what is or isn't my #1 gaming system my dear? PC IS my #1 gaming system, I just go for good p/p midrange cards. Like 80% of the market.

Wish these sites were giving results to compare 480 and the 1070. I think people want to know what they can get with an extra $150 from the other team.

From my point of view, the extra $150 is totally worth it when considering the Radeon 480 is approximately a GTX 970.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was expecting more for the latest technology. Power consumption is disappointing. Now l have to wait for the 1060GTX to see how that fares.

AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Top Bottom