• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

Hey I got quoted this week! As did MetalGuardian, who essentially wrote a review.

I'm playing through Majora's Mask 3D now as well and was having a heck of a time finding some of the stuff I remember vividly from my first playthrough. I check an FAQ and, sure enough, some of the stuff was moved around. It's a great game and possibly even better the second time around.

Zornica

Banned
the talk made me wanna replay culdcept 3ds. I wish this wasn't japan-exclusive though so more people could enjoy it. I'm sure you guys would enjoy it as well, especially johnny. finding other players online became nearly impossible lately.

there need to be more card games out there!
I'm still waiting for my "Project X Zone - The card game", where you are running around in a place like shibuya, similarly to twewy, collecting sega, nintendo, bamco,etc trading cards, fighting your way through a bunch of clubs and leagues.
*sigh* a man can dream

Well that certainly was fun - especially my inadvertent naming of the episode. My parents will be so proud! It's definitely cool of you guys to involve the NeoGAF community, too - I'm sure the RFN forums are great, but it just isn't realistic for some of us to put the effort into becoming entrenched in a second online enthusiast gaming society.

I'm kind of surprised at how positive you four came away from the game, but that made the discussion all the more interesting for me since my perspective while playing it was very different. Half the fun of the Pokemon franchise for me is the immense creativity and imagination it sparks, but Jonny's point about this only existing as a virtual substitute for the real deal was absolutely right. I was probably expecting too much from the game, though I still don't think that excuses a lot of the absurdly lazy design choices.

Anyway, time to fill my free podcast time with the back catalogue of Radio Trivia for the rest of the week. I can't believe that one flew under my radar for so long - a podcast dedicated to Nintendo music is something I never knew I wanted until the precise moment I heard about it and immediately realized it's something I now can't do without.

Yep, and the choices for this "Clash of the Titans" edition are:

Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC/Wii)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC/Wii/Wii U)

We switched to Google Forms this time, hopefully for a better experience. Our goal is still to allow as many people as possible to participate in voting. You still need a Google account (to prevent double-voting) but that seems more inclusive than requiring an NWR forum account. And we know for sure that there is no limit on responses with this service.

Weetrick

Glad to see the next Retroactive so soon! I own all these games, but I want to try something new and play the winner using Dolphin.
I voted for Zelda

We switched to Google Forms this time, hopefully for a better experience. Our goal is still to allow as many people as possible to participate in voting. You still need a Google account (to prevent double-voting) but that seems more inclusive than requiring an NWR forum account. And we know for sure that there is no limit on responses with this service.
Oh, that's a tough one. I want to vote Sunshine as it's the only one of the three I haven't played, but MP2 would be the easiest to get access to (and with the Trilogy VC release, I might finally beat that blasted Boost Guardian). Then again, I do love Zelda and hardly need an excuse to play Twilight Princess again.

:/

leroidys

Nice choice of games. It's interesting that each one (except arguably Echoes) essentially represents a dead-ended branch of that series' evolution. Coincidentally, I just started replaying sunshine and I would love to hear your guys take on it. It's such an odd-duck, at turns terrifying (early 'aughts CG mario and voice acting) and brilliant (probably my favorite 3D platforming engine ever). It's also the last Mario game made where it didn't feel like the designers were enslaved by decades of tradition and fan expectation. The game wasn't afraid to do different things, even if it didn't always get it right.

Ondore

Disclaimer: One of the hosts is in the credits for part of New Business.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/39856/episode-421-eat-that-frog
Episode 421 "Eat That Frog" said:
Hey friends, get hyped for this bulging episode of RFN! We start with lots of New Business, as Jonny checks out the trippy Proun+ for 3DS eShop, a game that evokes F-Zero, yet replaces butt-rock with jazz-rock. He also goes over the moon for Axiom Verge, a superb independent tribute to Metroid coming soon for PS4 and PC, coming maybe one sweet day for Wii U. After that, James cools us down with his ongoing sojourn into Persona Q, just one of an ongoing onslaught of Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS. Lindy follows up with his own Metroid-like game, the gorgeous Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One and PC, probably never coming to Wii U). It sure is a great time to be a fan of Metroid gameplay, unless you're stuck with only Nintendo systems! But even if you are, Guillaume can advise you on Mario vs. DK: Tipping Stars (on both Wii U and 3DS). He also reports of trying Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate local multiplayer, with actual experts!

Listener Mail jumps off and butt-slams into a status update on everyone's favorite greedy slob, Wario, and we might spend some time on his rival/buddy Waluigi, too. For something more serious, we try to help a listener determine if games are keeping him from living the life he wants. After all that earnestness, it just made sense to swing hard the other way. The last email concerns that guiltiest of all pleasures, the Dynasty Warriors franchise, and we consider which silly franchise spin-offs might get us to play one. We'll have more emails next week, and yours could be one of them!

It's not mentioned on this show (we settled the nominees just after recording), but we're already starting the next RetroActive! This one is called "Clash of the Titans" because you get to choose among Mario, Zelda, and Metroid -- whoever wins, we all win! We're trying another new survey method that should be better, so get your Google account ready (or make one, as you'll have to some day regardless) and vote now for RFN RetroActive #32!

Time: 2'01"13
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Monster Hunter: Thankfully keeping me from playing Majora's Mask

Disclaimer: One of the hosts is in the credits for part of New Business.

True, but I didn't know it until after we recorded! You have to beat the game to see the credits. I usually watch them to see if I recognize any names of people I've met in the industry, but I sure wasn't expecting to see my own name there! Will mention this on next week's show, for sure.

PaulBizkit

Google forms works perfectly. I thought i might have trouble voting using the phone. Good options btw, snes games are great but it's nice to see gc games.

OMG Aero

Is Axiom Verge the game where Reggie was looking at it and said it looks like Metroid and Jonny said to him "well someone's got to make it"?
It'd be pretty great if he's in the special thanks just for that.

silks

I got fact-checked by the NWR forums for 421. I mistakenly said that Metroid was the franchise that Miyamoto said he was waiting for a new control scheme to come along, when in fact it was F-Zero. My bad, I get these neglected franchises mixed up sometimes since there's so many.

Jhoan

Long time thread lurker. Just wanted to pop in here and say to keep up the good work guys. I listened episodes in the mid 300s, stopped around 396 and got back into again around episode 410. It was thanks to you guys that I payed a visit to Josh at PAX East and mentioned the episode he appeared on.

Also got back into listening to the Nintendo Voice Chat recently after years of not listening to it and the new group who have since taken over Matt Cassamassina et al's shoes is pretty damn good. It's another pretty solid Nintendo podcast.

Love the work guys as someone who used to post in PlanetGamecube many moons ago. Still have to listen to last week and this week's episodes.

Weetrick

Long time thread lurker. Just wanted to pop in here and say to keep up the good work guys. I listened episodes in the mid 300s, stopped around 396 and got back into again around episode 410. It was thanks to you guys that I payed a visit to Josh at PAX East and mentioned the episode he appeared on.

Also got back into listening to the Nintendo Voice Chat recently after years of not listening to it and the new group who have since taken over Matt Cassamassina et al's shoes is pretty damn good. It's another pretty solid Nintendo podcast.

Love the work guys as someone who used to post in PlanetGamecube many moons ago. Still have to listen to last week and this week's episodes.

Jose has done a complete 180 with NVC. The show is probably the best it's ever been. I listened during the classic Matt/Bozon/Craig era but quit during the Rich and Audrey years.

With NVC and RFN, we get plenty of quality Nintendo coverage and discussion on a weekly basis. It's great.

Negator

After this recent news, I can only wonder what the tone for next week's show will be. This is probably the biggest turning point for Nintendo in years. Crow will go extinct.

Crimm

After this recent news, I can only wonder what the tone for next week's show will be. This is probably the biggest turning point for Nintendo in years. Crow will go extinct.

Confused, mostly. Optimistic, but we know as much as you guys do. All we can do is try to put context and opinion to it. Even if I was to try to pump people in the industry we talk to, unless they work at Nintendo or DeNA they don't know anything. I don't know anyone at DeNA and nobody at Nintendo is gonna say anything. My course of action has been to do research, a lot of research.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT INVESTOR IMPACT OF DECREASING FLOATING STOCK LET ME KNOW, THE REST OF THE TEAM DOESN'T THINK THAT'S VERY INTERESTING

IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT INVESTOR IMPACT OF DECREASING FLOATING STOCK LET ME KNOW, THE REST OF THE TEAM DOESN'T THINK THAT'S VERY INTERESTING

I always love the occasional glimpses of business insight you provide. Your audience is already passionate enough about Nintendo to listen to two hours of talk exclusively about that company on a weekly basis - it doesn't seem like a stretch to say that a good portion of those same people are also interested in the market pressures Nintendo faces and how that information colors our interpretation of their decisions. Those types of discussions can provide useful context.

Tripon

Confused, mostly. Optimistic, but we know as much as you guys do. All we can do is try to put context and opinion to it. Even if I was to try to pump people in the industry we talk to, unless they work at Nintendo or DeNA they don't know anything. I don't know anyone at DeNA and nobody at Nintendo is gonna say anything. My course of action has been to do research, a lot of research.

I'll listen. If the rest of the team doesn't want to discuss it, please do it as a separate segment, or grab somebody from the Connectivity podcast.

Tom_Cody

Yes please.

I'll listen. If the rest of the team doesn't want to discuss it, please do it as a separate segment, or grab somebody from the Connectivity podcast.
Good idea.

Nice meeting you too, and indeed, this podcast rocks!

I've recently discovered This podcast and have started listening from the beginning.
2006 seems like so long ago.

Yes. Yes it does. There were some rough shows back in the early days (including plenty when I took over) so I respect/pity anyone who goes back that far in the archive. The early hosts were awesome though, and I'm so glad to still have an excuse to chat with them on Box Office Poison. Every recording of that show is like an RFN reunion.

silks

James and I are the ones interested in the business side of stuff. James is deeper into the mechanics of it, but I like to try to predict what Nintendo might do, or at least get a grip on where they're coming from based on the market forces at hand.

Jonny usually just gets bored by business stuff. For Guillaume it is anathema.

Jonny is pretty much the head engineer on the Axiom Verge hype train right now. I'm on board, let's do this thing! I would say the wait is going to be rough but at least we get Bloodborne in a few days.

I love the business talk, it's something that you really don't get anywhere else. Let's be honest, it's a very important topic with Nintendo, especially during these trying times when their business plans seem to be shifting frequently.

Nbz

Jose has done a complete 180 with NVC. The show is probably the best it's ever been. I listened during the classic Matt/Bozon/Craig era but quit during the Rich and Audrey years.

With NVC and RFN, we get plenty of quality Nintendo coverage and discussion on a weekly basis. It's great.

I actually loved the Rich/Audrey days, but those guys weren't committed to it. Jose has done a fantastic job of making sure the Podcast is out every week and consistently of a high quality

Effect

Jose is really good with NVC. It and RFN along side 8-4 are the only gaming podcast I listen to now. I found the Rich/Audrey years to be really fun but I started with those late in their run and it was only because I decided to see if things were still horrible one day. I had written IGN and NVC prior to them. What was bad was the period or few episodes after Matt/Bozon left and I think it might have been Craig that was still there. It was certainly before Rich and Audrey took over the Nintendo section of IGN and the podcast. There were a period of episodes where they had some Sony and Microsoft reviewers on it and it turned to outright insults at listeners and Nintendo fans. I remember there was a big thread about it here on Gaf about it and how upset people were. Same on the IGN boards believe. It likely wasn't but it felt like a mini-exodus of NVC listeners at that point. It felt like people had just had enough of the abuse directed toward them.

That event is how I came across RFN, Connectivity or NWR News at the time. A lot of people were looking for Nintendo related or focused podcast that simply weren't insulting to Nintendo fans. A lot of people name dropped RFN. I've been listening to it ever since. Had no idea 8-4 was "safe" as well until then too.

Ondore

Black is white, up is down, New Business is 2nd? Man, something really big must've happened this week. OH WAIT
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/39895/episode-422-alien-movement
Episode 422 "Alien Movement" said:
Every now and then, Nintendo announces something so big that we have to jump in right away. This week certainly qualifies. We flip the format and start RFN with Listener Mail, as so many of you asked us to pick apart the gigantic news of Nintendo making mobile games (and, by the way, still making a new dedicated game machine called NX). What ensues is a mixture of informed analysis, speculation, raw fear, tempered optimism, and indifference to such non-gaming matters. Predictably, we spend a lot of time on it, but there's also a follow-up discussion about spoilers and our role (as media) in preventing them. Rosebud is the sled and who cares anyway.

For New Business --after the break!-- Jonny has early thoughts on Code Name STEAM, plus a delightful disclosure for Axiom Verge. We can thank Club Nintendo for the unlikely offering of Ketzal's Corridors by Mr. Jones, while Lindy raps the praises of Sega's glory days, per 3D Out Run. Closing out the show, Guillaume finally scratches off Persona Q and falls in love with Mario Golf: World Tour, one of last year's overlooked 3DS releases.

We would love to hear more of your ideas, hopes, and concerns relating to Nintendo's seismic shift, or anything else going on in video games. That email link is free-to-play forever! And if you didn't already see it on our social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter), we are proceeding to the next RetroActive feature with renewed vigor. This one's called "Clash of the Titans" and you'll see why -- head over to the Google-based voting tool and make your preference known!

Time: 2'05"18
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
3D Outrun: Best remake of the year

Full disclosure: I'm now an associate editor at Nintendo World Report.

VegiHam

The discussion about all this weeks news is very interesting but the spoiler talk is maddening; especially the "oh well games' plots don't matter so I don't care" attitude. So like, revealing who all the killers are in Danganronpa or Ace Attorney is totally cool because hey, the plot's meaningless? Seems kinda narrowly focused on specific types of games. I mean yeah I don't care about Mario or Mighty Switch Force spoilers but if NWR did a 'hey here's the final boss of XCX' article? I'd be pretty mad.

Tomohawk

I feel like with Nintendo putting their ip on mobile, they might as well bite the bullet and put their ip everywhere. Instead of making money off hardware and licensing fees which isn't working that well for them currently, they can make money off their ip alone. Amiibo would sell a lot more, certain ip's have room for a lot of growth like smash. With the exposure on multiple platforms, they'll have more attention to their non video game ventures like movies, tv shows, car fresheners, theme parks, lingerie etc. Of course they don't need to give up hardware completely, they can still make hardware like controllers or maybe handhelds.(I would assume if they keep certain games like mainline pokemon, monster hunter and animal crossing, 2D mario and 2D zelda/remakes exclusive their handheld could still do well).

mrkgoo

Only partway done with this episode, but felt like commenting:

Jonny,
Absolutely I agree that kids will emulate their parents in regards to what they want to do, but technology most definitely has a way for capturing kids attention. TVS, games, iPads etc, interactive media or even just moving pictures can be mesmerising without any emulation going on.

I don't wath much TV nor use my iPad for gaming, yet both fascinate my daughter. And in my experience, their attachment to capacitive touch screens is remarkable. You mentioend they're not really good at it, and for sure yet motor skills leave a lot to be desired, but my investigation of my daughters interaction (yes, n=1), has shown me that these interfaces ARE actually intuitive for the young. For example, touch interfaces usually respond with some visual feed back and only trigger on a touch "release" state. Watching my daughter navigate on my age old iPad 1, she will tap something gently and when she sees it doesn't respond she will go back and touch lightly again, absolutely aware of the visual feedback cue, knowing it has or has not responded to her touch correctly.

My parents on the other hand would repeatedly mash and push harder expecting it to work better or faster.

Just saying that there is a level of intuitiveness to these devices and it's not all attributed to just what the parents do.

Crimm

I don't remember how loudly I expressed myself on the topic of spoilers. I think if there is story stuff you should be very sensitive to spoiling it. Jonny doesn't like video games so he doesn't care about their stories. If I didn't express strongly enough I should have, so that's on me.

As for touch screens as game devices for very young children, to an extent they become more "interactive toys" than "video games." I touch something, something happens colorful. It's a very effective feedback loop for a small child.

VegiHam

I don't remember how loudly I expressed myself on the topic of spoilers. I think if there is story stuff you should be very sensitive to spoiling it. Jonny doesn't like video games so he doesn't care about their stories. If I didn't express strongly enough I should have, so that's on me.
No, you were super clear. But other, wronger opinions also happened and must be exterminated.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The discussion about all this weeks news is very interesting but the spoiler talk is maddening; especially the "oh well games' plots don't matter so I don't care" attitude. So like, revealing who all the killers are in Danganronpa or Ace Attorney is totally cool because hey, the plot's meaningless? Seems kinda narrowly focused on specific types of games. I mean yeah I don't care about Mario or Mighty Switch Force spoilers but if NWR did a 'hey here's the final boss of XCX' article? I'd be pretty mad.
For me it doesn't even end on just story-related spoilers. I consume GameXplain content on a normal basis and are entertained with their general content, but I LOATHE when the day a (maybe anticipated) game is released and every fucking thing about the game is highlighted in their videos. Here's your final boss, your 100% final boss, your collectables and your hidden secrets, etc. I'm not disappointed with them since they show content that they think their audience will enjoy; it just saddens me that tens of thousands of people may partake in the viewership just because they subscribe to the channel and just want to put a video on to pass the time.

I guess I'm just getting emotional over nothing because people can fucking do what they want.

Is there any spoilers for that in the discussion? I'm about to start my first play through of the game and will just skip this segment of the podcast if stuff is getting spoiled.

mrkgoo

I get Jonny's argument on spoilers - I usually don't even care about spoilers for movies. I rewatch movies a lot, so for me, it isn't about any shock value or twist. If a movie hinges entirely on that one gimmick, then I'd argue it wasn't that strong to begin with.

Even movies that have strong twists, I can still see how the story is constructed to make that moment powerful, and enjoy it regardless. Like knowing the twists to Sixth sense of Empire strikes back doesn't make it any less enjoyable to watch. Perhaps that first time.

And that's movies - for games, I care even less. Thats' not to say I absorb myself in all "spoiler" material, actually quite the opposite. I don't have time to do that, so I rely on podcasts for impressions and just play the games that sound interesting - most of the time, any "spoiler" was not in context anyway. In that way, I actually think Jonny's comment about the podcast not being informative, so much as analytical to be a miss-step, at least for me. I get bulk of my general info from NeoGAF headlines, and the rest of the detail from podcast discussions.

Ondore

Is there any spoilers for that in the discussion? I'm about to start my first play through of the game and will just skip this segment of the podcast if stuff is getting spoiled.

Given the reactions when I talked about it a year or so ago, you'll be fine. (Nobody on the show has played it, and I'm thinking we may need to crowdfund James a Vita.)

Weetrick

Jonny, you said you don't care about videogame plot spoilers because you don't like them and feel bad for people that do. What about spoilers for other forms of media you enjoy? Movie plots? How about someone showing you a Phish setlist before a show? Just curious if your view on spoilers applies to everything, or just things you don't care so much about.

Personally, I think people are far too worried about spoilers (Smash characters, Nintendo Direct news, etc.), but major plot points should be discussed with caution.

No, movie spoilers don't really bother me. I avoid them if it's convenient to do so, but if, say, a film podcast has a spoiler segment for a movie I'm not going to see in the next few days, I just listen right through it. Usually, it makes me even more interested.

As for Phish, they don't write set lists in advance. They discuss and rehearse any special songs or maybe a cool transition, but most of the selections are either rotated through band members on-stage between songs, or they fall out of improvisations that have drifted toward other songs that would make for a smooth transition.

Top Bottom