• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

Ondore

I was the Jimmy Snuka to a Lindy streak once. Will it happen again?
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40065/episode-425-korn-hits-the-road
Episode 425 "Korn Hits The Road" said:
It's time for another cartoo-oo-oon! Jon is back with both a vengeance and his thoughts on Axiom Verge -- good to hear from another satisfied Metroid fan. Guillaume makes good on a dare by playing a first-person shooter, on GameCube no less! But it's Geist, and as you may recall from our (pre-Gui) two ancient RetroActive discussions, that game is a fascinating mess. Jonny checks in on Elliot Quest, finishes Majora's Mask 3D (Oni-less), and returns to Box Boy for a more substantial look. All in all, this is a weird bunch of games for New Business, and James completes the set with Inazuma Eleven for DS... I mean, 3DS.

We're still lagging on the deluge of emails coming in since Nintendo decided to make the spring season interesting. Thanks for your patience -- more to come! But we did manage to address the last-ever Club Nintendo gold and platinum rewards, our picks for the Smash Bros. fighter ballot, a flight of fancy into gamifying some favorite rock bands, and that old chestnut of Nintendo skipping voice chat in a major online game (Splatoon, this time around). Please do keep sending those emails, which we love and cherish!

It's still a ways out, but with a game as big as Twilight Princess, this isn't too early to start playing along for RetroActive. As your thoughts and questions form, why not deposit them in our convenient forum thread for future podcast discussion? Yes, just like that.

Oooh, one last thing! Did you know that RFN has a team in the ongoing Smash Bros. online tournament, where we face off weekly against our Nintendo World Report friends? It's very dramatic and hella entertaining, especially with audio commentary from Scott and Neal to help explain every match. Check out the first few rounds, and keep up with the latest results on our NWR TV channel!

Time: 1'45"13
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
My pick for music themed video game: Weird Al Ware.

Level 5 actually announced three new Yokai Watch games and Snack World, so four new games for 3DS. Get your shit together, James.

Also, Level 5 is a trash developer, so who gives a fuck.

Tom_Cody

Weetrick

Jonny, we have a shared sentiment when it comes to the Club Nintendo Platinum rewards. I couldn't make up my mind because I own all the Nintendo games I'm interested in.

I ended up choosing Pushmo World (sorry James!). My fiance doesn't play videogames but she enjoys the occasional puzzle game - I'm looking forward to playing together.

PaulBizkit

Quote from the show "there has to be a Limp Bizkit game".
oh man, i wish there was! But using these bad boys as the 3D model

51UD8XTMn4L.jpg

Great episode, guys!

Ondore

This episode is peak Jones.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40112/episode-426-connoisseur-of-chaos
Episode 426 "Connoisseur of Chaos" said:
There's something special about this episode, and it's not just that we may have set a new record for the number of emails included. No, it's that James is particularly giddy and demented, a condition incited by the recent Smash Bros. update's portal to all the custom level treasures/garbage he could ever want. Next up is Code Name STEAM, now running much more smoothly and subject to a deeper critical analysis by Jonny. At issue: what happens when a game gives you lots of interesting choices for tactical readiness, but no information upon which to base those decisions? The next Club Nintendo reward to be featured on the show comes from Lindy, who catches up with ocho authentico New Super Mario Bros. 2. That gets us talking about reviews, which leads perfectly into one of Jon's most famous reviews, for a game that Guillaume is playing for some damn reason -- The Conduit! He also tries Skip Ltd.'s experiment in charming realism, Chibi-Robo: Photo Finder. And, just because, Gui also dredges up the epitome of late 90s 3D platformers... yes, we're talking about Donkey Kong 64, now available (if you dare) on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Your email game has been strong lately, and there are way too many interesting questions to give them all the usual, in-depth treatment. So, we decided it was time to bring back an old experiment that, frankly, hasn't worked very well until now. It's the Listener Mail Lightning Thunder Round, and for once, we kept on pace to blast through a huge pack of questions. Hopefully, you'll agree that we still did some justice to these topics, despite the unprecedented pace. We may do this kind of thing more often, since it worked out quite well this time, but more substantial discussions will of course still happen as needed. Whether big or small, your email can become part of the show with just a few keystrokes!

Be sure to check out Jonny's recent guest appearance on the wonderful Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition, where he tries to stump our friend TYP. And by the way, now would be a good time to start playing Twilight Princess, as we'll be covering this lengthy game on the show in roughly one month. If you get stuck or have a keen observation, that RetroActive forum thread is up and running for just such purposes. And hey, did you know the RFN crew is actively competing in the NWR Smash Bros. Tournament? We made it to the playoffs... so be sure to follow a new round each week, right here on Nintendo World Report and the NWR TV YouTube channel!

Time: 1'48"10
Asking for a friend: Can you still make a CD mill in Smash 4?

Tom_Cody

Started listening on the way to work. Good stuff.

It sounded like James was going to have a stroke during his dispatch on the current state of Smash Bros. custom levels. Good lord.

I haven't gotten around to CNS yet (derailed by Monster Hunter) so it is a bit disappointing to hear that Jonny isn't feeling it. Oh well, I like the demo so I am still going to give it a chance.

I personally loved NSMB2, but most of the discussed points rang true. 2D Mario fatigue had definitely set in for me at the time it launched, but I was able to get totally wrapped up in it when I played through it 1 year ago.

I really enjoyed Guillaume's selection this week. Since I'm still ensnared in Monster Hunter, I am currently much more interested in this type of potpourri content than serious discussions of new games that I don't have time for.

Re: Code Name STEAM -- I'm really feeling it! Just frustrated by some clunky design things, but I still think it's really cool. The shooting mechanics have a different kind of satisfaction when you take out an enemy, as compared to dispatching an enemy with your sword in Fire Emblem. It's a long and tough game, and I don't cram like James, so I'll talk about it more if and when I get to the end.

1. Replace 3DS XL or upgrade to New?
2. Characters we DON'T want to see in Smash
3. Impact of Unity support on New 3DS
4. Game announcement that would blow our minds
5. Guitar Hero and Rock Band revivals
6. Amiibo = new content, even if locked
7. 3D Mario with presentation of MK8
8. Strategy guides
9. Virtual Console support for new platforms

Kansoku

I have the exact same problems with Codename S.T.E.A.M. (I couldn't even finish the demo because of it).

To me it's not a strategy game, it's an improvisation one. Strategy implies on information given not only beforehand to formulate a plan, but also the changes in strategy that comes with "input" from the battle itself. But there's a enormous lack of information.
You're thrown out in a map you never seen, and have no idea of enemy placements nor the structure of the map. You can't plan efficiently, because more often than not (at least in the demo) there were aliens hiding behind something. You go execute your plan just to fall on an enemy's overwatch. The map design IMO does not fit well with the style of gameplay. I know they're different, but if you look at Valkyria Chronicles you can see why. In VC the maps are pretty big and open, which let's you see enemies clearly. There are high point the give you even more visibility and let's you see hidden enemies. The thing is, in VC you can move freely and if get in an enemy line of sight, it will start shooting you, but you can just move out of range. So I can explore freely without worrying too much. In STEAM if an enemy does an overwatch you're locked in place and the steam you used to get to that point is lost. You're basically punished for exploring and being aggressive. You have to be constantly on the defensive, always using overwatch.

Tripon

1. Replace 3DS XL or upgrade to New?
2. Characters we DON'T want to see in Smash
3. Impact of Unity support on New 3DS
4. Game announcement that would blow our minds
5. Guitar Hero and Rock Band revivals
6. Amiibo = new content, even if locked
7. 3D Mario with presentation of MK8
8. Strategy guides
9. Virtual Console support for new platforms
Thanks.

Crimm

I will say VC could, and probably should, have done a better job denying you some degree of information. Many of the open-field battles let you not only see most of the enemies, but let you see routes to bypass them - exacerbating the OP scout problem.

I'm okay with a game forcing me to improvise, it keeps me honest. Denying you information on what gear you'll be provided upon entering the battle is kind of cruddy. I understand them wanting to save the reveal of a new character for actual battle - and thus save what they're good for - but something's got to give if you're going to hard-limit the character count so low.

OMG Aero

Guillaume you really need to go back and finish Chibi-Robo at some point, that game goes some places towards the end. Also some of the side quests with the toys get bizarrely emotional when you finish them, especially when you consider that the characters you are getting invested in are a dancing flower and a lego dinosaur. Man I love that game so much.

Park Patrol is not as good as the Gamecube game and plays differently since you are building and decorating a park to attract visitors instead of cleaning a house and trying to fix everyone's problems, but it still has toys with stories to help out like in the Gamecube game. I'd definitely say it's better than Photo Finder and still worth playing though.

Cindro

I was listening to some random back-catalogue eps of Radio Free Trivia, and one of the featured games was an NES title I had never heard of - Ufouria. The music was fine, but what really got me interested was Jonny's description - an NES game that tries (and SUCCEEDS?!) at being intentionally funny? One that controls well to boot (I've never understood "to boot" as an idiom)? It really piqued my interest.

Are there any RFN episodes that discuss this game? And it's on the 3DS eshop - correct?

Definitely on Wii and maybe 3DS too. Ufouria is bizarre and so cool. I'll tell you how I look up these things -- just search for the game on NWR, and it will bring up categorized results. One of those categories is for podcasts, and there you'll find every episode of every show on the site that marked that game as related content. I tag games for every episode, so this has become a powerful index for the podcast's coverage over so many years.

I was listening to some random back-catalogue eps of Radio Free Trivia, and one of the featured games was an NES title I had never heard of - Ufouria. The music was fine, but what really got me interested was Jonny's description - an NES game that tries (and SUCCEEDS?!) at being intentionally funny? One that controls well to boot (I've never understood "to boot" as an idiom)? It really piqued my interest.

Are there any RFN episodes that discuss this game? And it's on the 3DS eshop - correct?
"To boot" comes from an old Anglo Saxon word that's cognate with "boat", I think. The sense of it is the same as the word booty (not a big juicy behind, but a valuable bundle of goods, such as what trading vessels carry), so in wheeling and dealing with an overseas trader, you might throw in an extra item as a deal sweetener to close the transaction and throw it into their cargo, so the item goes "to boot".

We've lost that sense of the word in everyday speech though, so the phrasing of the idiom just seems random.

On topic, I still need to track down a copy of Twilight Princess.

Tom_Cody

Re: Code Name STEAM -- I'm really feeling it! Just frustrated by some clunky design things, but I still think it's really cool. The shooting mechanics have a different kind of satisfaction when you take out an enemy, as compared to dispatching an enemy with your sword in Fire Emblem. It's a long and tough game, and I don't cram like James, so I'll talk about it more if and when I get to the end.
I guess I set myself up for that one, lol. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it overall.

I liked the demo a lot but I agree that it could be frustrating at times. In a way I'm reminded of the ambushes that can happen in Fire Emblem (as mentioned in the show) or the Fog of War scenarios in Advance Wars. Sometimes it feels like they are presenting with you conflicting objectives. Is the game about deciphering a challenge that has been put in front of you and optimizing a solution? Or is it about building a versatile squad and implementing versatile tactics in order to deal with any surprise that can occur? Either would be fine on their own, but it can be annoying when they go back and forth. And it doesn't help that having prior knowledge (as in having to redo missions) instantly shifts this balance.

It's hard to discuss this without sounding negative, but I'm still very much looking forward to diving into this later this year.

I have the exact same problems with Codename S.T.E.A.M. (I couldn't even finish the demo because of it).

To me it's not a strategy game, it's an improvisation one. Strategy implies on information given not only beforehand to formulate a plan, but also the changes in strategy that comes with "input" from the battle itself. But there's a enormous lack of information.
You're thrown out in a map you never seen, and have no idea of enemy placements nor the structure of the map. You can't plan efficiently, because more often than not (at least in the demo) there were aliens hiding behind something. You go execute your plan just to fall on an enemy's overwatch. The map design IMO does not fit well with the style of gameplay. I know they're different, but if you look at Valkyria Chronicles you can see why. In VC the maps are pretty big and open, which let's you see enemies clearly. There are high point the give you even more visibility and let's you see hidden enemies. The thing is, in VC you can move freely and if get in an enemy line of sight, it will start shooting you, but you can just move out of range. So I can explore freely without worrying too much. In STEAM if an enemy does an overwatch you're locked in place and the steam you used to get to that point is lost. You're basically punished for exploring and being aggressive. You have to be constantly on the defensive, always using overwatch.
I came to this conclusion while playing through the demo and as a result I implemented a more defensive approach... But then the game started throwing spawning enemies at me. Should I play defensively in order to avoid walking into enemy traps? Or should I play offensively in order to stay ahead of waves of spawning enemies? Make up you mind, game.

When playing these games, you are essentially developing algorithms for how you should approach missions. It is always jarring when you think you have a process establish to handle anything the game can throw at you, and they do something that invalidates what you have built. I guess it's good to mix things up, but it can also make the experience feel unfair.

Cindro

Definitely on Wii and maybe 3DS too. Ufouria is bizarre and so cool. I'll tell you how I look up these things -- just search for the game on NWR, and it will bring up categorized results. One of those categories is for podcasts, and there you'll find every episode of every show on the site that marked that game as related content. I tag games for every episode, so this has become a powerful index for the podcast's coverage over so many years.
Fantastic. Thank you, Jonny! This episode is going to be bonker-levels of fun to listen to...

Jon is taking a month-long hiatus from RFN while he moves to a new city, and we're very pleased to have Michael "TYP" Cole fill his seat this week. Mike is riding the Ufouria joy train but may be derailed by crappy touch-screen controls for Dark Void Zero. James finally returns to reviews with a withering overview of Pirates! for Wii, but he's somewhat happier with ESPN3 support in the New (New) Xbox Experience. Greg reflects Treasure-envy by "importing" Silhouette Mirage, a game famously ruined during its English localization. Jonny catches up with Sin & Punishment 2 and shares some final thoughts on Spidey's latest DS adventure.

While we usually leave news analysis to the Newscast, this week's 3DS event was so big that we figured you could handle two podcasts covering it. We share our thoughts on the price, release date, game announcements, hardware features, etc. That discussion segues beautifully into Listener Mail, where we answer your questions about Nintendo's possible arrogance with 3DS pricing, whether to upgrade now to DSi or wait for 3DS, and a quick word on Animal Crossing and Memory Card 59.
Sin & Punishment 2? Spidey DS talk? 3DS (a system that ended up as my favorite Nintendo handheld ever) launch discussion? Jon taking a month off so he can set himself up for a streak? I think this episode will take precedence over the newest Bombcast on my commute tomorrow.

"To boot" comes from an old Anglo Saxon word that's cognate with "boat", I think. The sense of it is the same as the word booty (not a big juicy behind, but a valuable bundle of goods, such as what trading vessels carry), so in wheeling and dealing with an overseas trader, you might throw in an extra item as a deal sweetener to close the transaction and throw it into their cargo, so the item goes "to boot".

We've lost that sense of the word in everyday speech though, so the phrasing of the idiom just seems random.
This is just excellent, viciouskillersquirrel. I *love* entymology - it's an absurdly fascinating topic. Thanks for enlightening me on the phrase, brother! I never knew "to boot" had such an awesome wheelin-and-dealin naval backstory.

Hey Guys!

Love the show! Started listening a couple months back, and I really like some of the discussions that you guys focus on!

I also started listening to the Radio Trivia show. Can someone please tell the host that he HAS to play some songs from Gimmick! It is the best OST from the NES. Or can I get an e-mail so I can send a request?

1qjxCjY.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0GEcU63qw

Weetrick

Hey Guys!

Love the show! Started listening a couple months back, and I really like some of the discussions that you guys focus on!

I also started listening to the Radio Trivia show. Can someone please tell the host that he HAS to play some songs from Gimmick! It is the best OST from the NES. Or can I get an e-mail so I can send a request?

1qjxCjY.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0GEcU63qw

This is the link to email TYP about requests
I emailed him recently and he used my game:
Attack Of The Friday Monsters!

Ondore

Is there really a defense of Lanky Kong? Answers on a postcard.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40136/episode-427-in-defense-of-lanky
Episode 427 "In Defense Of Lanky Kong" said:
We are very pleased this week to have returning guest Curtis Bonds, one of the bright youngsters behind NWR TV. He's here on a special assignment, but that comes later. First, Curtis has some very early impressions of the new Mario Kart 8 tracks, and we all chip in thoughts on the Mode 7 recreations, F-Zero mysteries, and more. Curtis also plays Donkey Kong Country 3 for the first time -- will he join the fan club? Jon Lindemann continues the retro love with a sneak preview of our upcoming RetroActive feature discussion, as he serves up impressions and stages a brief discussion of Twilight Princess. Meanwhile, James temporarily returns our focus to brand new games with his nuanced thoughts on Affordable Space Adventures, which Guillaume has also played. Jonny has a follow-up report on Box Boy!, while Gui anchors this long segment with the new StreetPass mini-games. We close this edition of New Business with a much-hyped debate over the merits of Donkey Kong 64. Curtis admits that it's one of his personal favorite games, but can he carry its torch through a modern examination? The rest of the gang, including first-timer Guillaume, also take a deeper look at this game that is now digitally available for the first time.

Listener Mail is up next, and it's back to the normal tempo... for now. Our first email is an eloquent defense of cross-platform emulation, most notably the recent addition of GBA and DS support for Wii U's Virtual Console. The next email turns playful with a survey of our guiltiest gaming pleasures, and the final bit of business concerns Nintendo's support of independent games on the eShop. Please keep sending your emails, big or small, to support the show and introduce new topics for us to explore.

Thanks for listening, and be sure to watch Curtis on NWR TV and CurtDogg Gaming!

Time: 2'07"45
Zombies > Fishing: It's true, it's true.

I managed to track down a cheap copy of Twilight Princess. Like Jon, the first thing I noticed was how blurred the graphics are, especially going from Hyrule Warriors. It certainly takes me back in time some. I stop noticing it after about ten minutes or so, but it would be nice to play an HD remake a la Wind Waker HD.

The other thing I noticed, having played Wind Waker HD only around four months ago, was that the sword controls are almost identical to Wind Waker, apart from maybe the quick time dodging and of course the motion controls. I'm playing the Wii version, but I imagine that the Gamecube version plays a lot like its predecessor.

The motion controls, which I remember feeling revolutionary (pardon the pun) at the time, actually feel quite primitive now. I can see why some critics at the time complained about it feeling tacked on. Skyward Sword let you swipe as you liked and it was a critical part of combat, but Twilight Princess can barely distinguish a vertical slice from a horizontal one. It scarcely matters though, since as far as I can see the only difference is in the attack animation you trigger. It feels like a tremendous step back to waggle now that I've experienced proper sword controls.

The introduction is rough, to say the least. Because it's never explained that you're meant to wait until the hook sinks to pull up on the Wii remote, I spent twenty minutes trying to work out how to catch a fish, then another twenty trying to get that damned cat going home to its owner. If you scare it away from the jetty by accident, the event doesn't trigger at all.

I'm more than 2 and a half hours in and only just opened up the first proper dungeon. Here we go.

Ondore

Not quite Reyn time, but a fair time nonetheless.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40178/episode-428-ham-fisted-villain-oclock
Episode 428 "Ham-Fisted Villian O'Clock" said:
This week's New Business starts off more like business news, as Jon leads us through reactions to Konami's continued retreat from their roots as a video game legend. Gui provides a tonal upturn with his impressions of Amiibo Tap, Heart Beaten, and the obscure Gargoyle's Quest 2. He also looks back at the solo campaign of Eurocom's Goldeneye 007 for Wii, focusing on the other half of a game that we used in RetroActive as a send-off to Nintendo WiFi Connection. James tells us how Wild Arms kept the age of Super Nintendo RPGs going right into the PlayStation era. Jonny bats clean-up with effusive praise for the Mario Kart 8 downloadable content, Geometry Wars 3, and the almost-complete NWR Smash Bros. Tournament.

After the break, we launch into another Thunder Round edition of Listener Mail. This set isn't quite as brisk as the last, but we still covered a lot of ground in about half the usual time. As always, we love hearing from everyone and highly encourage you to send questions and comments to the show. And don't forget about the next RetroActive! You can still join the vibrant discussions in our special forum thread for Twilight Princess.

Time: 1'49"38
Download: MP3 | AAC
You bring the lightning: They'll bring the thunder.

Twilight Princess spoilers ahead!

Just beat the second dungeon, clocking in at just over 9 hours. I have to say, I do love the little action sequences, like the battle over the bridge. It's a prelude, I think, to the horseback battle you have with Ganon much later on.

The Goron Mines were, sad to say, a letdown. In my mind, this was one of the most impressive areas in the game, with interesting warp effects from the heat and surprisingly realistic looking lava. It might have been the case at the time, but then Super Mario Galaxy came along and showed everyone how it's done in SD. These days I can see the seams, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it for what it was.

The boss fight brought back memories, I have to say. It might have been E3 2006, but one of the best hype videos I downloaded for the Wii was just this very thing. I remember watching and rewatching that video for months, saving my pennies trying to afford a system. I hadn't played a video game more recent than SNES level at the time, so to go from that to this blew my mind.

It still works really well, with the pointer controls, the seamless integration of the boots and the final bash. That was a nostalgia bomb right there that I didn't quite expect.

It's hard to believe, but this game about as old today as Ocarina of Time was in 2006. The baggage this game had, in trying to top that experience, was something that dragged the whole conversation about this game at the time down. It looks as though the Zelda series has moved past that point now, but at the time, OoT loomed huge in the memory of Zelda fans everywhere.

I think that it's possible now to appreciate the game on its own merits and it's coming up pretty well for me, once you get past the introduction. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the playthrough.

EDIT : I should mention that OoT DNA is everywhere. The layout of Kakariko village and the path to Death Mountain, for instance, are mirror images of the same locations in OoT. I can only imagine that this is even more blatant when playing the Gamecube version. It's as though the Hyrule of OoT was allowed to develop, grow and stagnate without a great flood to destroy the kingdom in its prime.

Everything looks worn and overused, tired and in steady decline. Even the pace of life seems to have slowed down. Where OoT had the feeling of a kingdom getting off to a tumultuous start, the world of Twilight Princess feels as though its best days were behind it. Maybe it's the music or the dipped in tea look the whole thing has, but the melancholy you feel at the beginning pervades everything.

Kansoku

Man, what Jonny said, about Nintendo being the only one left, hit close to home. I'll go sleep right now, but will try to expand on that tomorrow.

Also, goddammit Jonny, I might have to try Geometry Wars 3 now.

Man, what Jonny said, about Nintendo being the only one left, hit close to home. I'll go sleep right now, but will try to expand on that tomorrow.
He's not wrong. In today's climate, we're dinosaurs. One day, we might look back on console gaming, and especially out of Japan, as a relic of the past.

Negator

I die a little inside when they call Breath of Fire a Square RPG. It was only published by Square in NA, otherwise the game is 100% Capcom dammit!

I like to consider the Wild Arms series the spiritual successor to Lufia 2. They have a very similar style of combat and dungeon puzzle solving. A shame both series are currently defunct.

I love the business talk. The state of the Japanese game industry is near and dear to my heart so it's always cathartic to hear some like-minded folks discuss it.

One comment I will add, Hidetaka Miyazaki is a ray of hope in a cold and dying world. Bloodborne is just one more example of how he is on a different level when it comes to world building in video games. And not only is it a masterpiece of a game, it's also doing quite well commercially. I really cherish these types of games nowadays given how rare they have become.

Somnid

Basically the traditional companies are dying in Japan but the talent has dispersed or has started their own thing. It's actually true in the US too, lots of prominent devs have jumped off to start their own companies and these are all very early (often doing the same games), it just hits harder because Japan has also been more about the developer rather than the publisher so you miss the unique flavor opposed to the design-by-committee that EA, Ubi, Activision have been about for the last decade.

It's also fair to say that these newer smaller companies must naturally build for all platforms and mobile because they really need all the support they can get to survive in a crowded market. I imagine some of them will get big again like Level 5, it'll be different, but the game makers will keep making games. Sega and Konami will likely become IP shell companies at this rate but they lost all their talent years ago.

Also about Amiibo NFC, Amiibos use Mifare Ultralight tags which are compatible with most NFC readers. NFC has been the wild west in terms of standards but they are finally consolidating, though Nintendo tags are one of the most popular types they are also a bit older and of a more proprietary type. And yes, you can read them with a compatible phone but they are encrypted.

Kansoku

I think it's very sad how things turned out. I'm kinda pessimistic when it comes to games industry, but the Japanese one hurts the most. Capcom, Konamai, Square, etc. were always synonymous with quality back in the day. I knew that I would love a game if it came from one of these companies.
The saddest part is that all these stuff happened in just a short time. I've been gaming for less than 14 years (Started when was 5/6, am now 19), and seen all these things happening as I grew up. The way I see it, it started in late PS2 era. Western developers, which were more focused on computers started coming to consoles. There was a push for more powerful consoles. The "HD Era" began, budget costs got higher and higher, so less risk could've been taken. B-tier games (which most Japanese games were), disappeared. Many studios died, because the cost of making a game was much higher now, and they couldn't keep up. C-tier studios moved to mobile. The consumers ask for more, and now consoles are even more powerful and it costs a lot more to make games now. There are less games being released, and taking risks are a no-go. The good thing is the rise of indies. They are slowly taking up the hole C-tier and B-tier games left. In Japan specifically, there are also the problems Inafune detailed in this interview.

I wonder how the industry will look like 10 years from now, especially in Japan. Major developers, like Inafune, Igarashi, Kojima, Mikami, and others, left their companies and are starting indie studios. There are studios moving from traditional games; they`re moving to mobile and other areas (go play with your pachinkos Konami). I wonder if the whole industry will implode: Few developers, few games, broken games in order to deliver them fast, bad monetizations, dumbed down games to appeal to the majority of people to sell more, and so the consumer gets tied of it, the industry is not that profitable anymore. I wonder if, the big companies losing their place in the industry, the companies started by these big developers will grow and take place of their "predecessors" (Will Inti Creates be the next CAPCOM?). I wonder if the Japanese market for traditional games will just die, and all we're left with is the western games. I wonder if things will get better before any of these happen.

Also, in regards to Nintendo being left alone, I totally see that happening. What I'm afraid of is that, if that happens, will they "save" gaming again or if people won't care anymore. People are caring less and less for Nintendo. The casual market moved to mobile, a part of the dedicated market don't care about Nintendo at all, third parties, especially western ones, don't care about Nintendo anymore. There are still some bad stigma about Nintendo. They're still considered kiddy, still considered draconian. If they are left out alone, I wonder if people will really care at that point. They might be able to "revive" the (japanese) game industry, but will they have an "audience" to revive it to?

And in another note, I really want to see the consequences of Nintendo presence in the mobile market. The situation is similar to the game crash; crap as far as the eye can see. Will their games do the same thing they did in that time?

Disclaimer, I'm writing this in class, might not make much sense x.x

A few more hours of play and I'm about to start the third temple of Twilight Princess. I must say, I forgot about the giant bug boss for that final tear at Lake Hylia, and the aerial bug chase up the river was a nice surprise. The rest of the bug chase was still a chore, mind. There must be a more elegant way of coaxing the player into exploring the area and unlocking all the portals.

The escort mission to bring the Zora prince and Ilia back to Kakariko was tense and exciting. The scrabble to clear the path, open gates and put out fires is a great set piece, though I could see this being a real problem for anyone who can't handle the horse properly or doesn't realise you need to dismount to open the gate. Managing the situation is stressful, to be frank, so I wonder what people think of this bit.

The cut scene Lanaryu treats you to is just as messed up as I remember, especially the bit at the end where it's raining giggling Ilias. Makes me think it's half a vision from the gods and half Link hallucinating. Perhaps the spirit slipped something in his drink.

An aside, but the cut scene shows the fused shadow you're collecting as a complete unit. I see a little bit of cribbing from Majora's Mask in its design, which tickles the Zelda fanatic in me, as officially, one follows the other in sequence. As far as I know, this is only a callback and not an explicit sequel connection like all the links to OoT. Instead, I like to think of it as an "I understood that reference!" moment, which I love.

The character model for Queen Rutela, by the way, is absolutely gorgeous. It's a pity her character only appears in a few short cut scenes.

PaulBizkit

The other solution would be to have Japan start marketing their games towards big markets like the US and countries like China, India, Brasil, Russia (which are supposedly on the rise).

Negator

The other solution would be to have Japan start marketing their games towards big markets like the US and countries like China, India, Brasil, Russia (which are supposedly on the rise).

They tried changing their games for the US audience last gen, it was not pretty.

In fact I'd say it's a contributing factor to the current situation.

silks

I wonder if the Japanese market for traditional games will just die, and all we're left with is the western games. I wonder if things will get better before any of these happen.

I'm not that pessimistic, really. It sucks that a company like Konami is effectively exiting the console business, but at one point it seemed unfathomable that Sega would exit the console-making business - but it happened and everyone survived.

What I really think is dying is console gaming as we know it. This and maybe the next generation is its last gasp. As broadband availability spreads and streaming of content becomes more and more prevalent, consoles will become increasingly irrelevant. The problem that they were created to solve (delivering arcade and PC-quality games to gamers at a fraction of the cost of either) will eventually no longer exist.

Japanese companies are looking at the money these mobile games are making and saying, "Wait a minute, why are we spending $50-$100million on making these console games that we need to sell 2 million copies of just to break even?" And that makes perfect sense. But it's not like the core, PC-style gamer market is going away. I look at it like this is the market pendulum swinging to the mobile side before that gets tapped out, and it comes back to the console style games we know and love. A lot of players are going to get shaken out during that process though.

Ondore

We have a date for the Twilight Princess Retroactive. Also, a long-mentioned friend of the show makes their RFN debut.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40226/episode-429-valkyrie-needs-bucket-badly
Episode 429 "Valkyrie Needs Bucket Badly" said:
Guillaume revs up this episode with a fresh look at ExciteTruck and the cult hit Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes that started on DS before getting a sluggish console port. Next is our special guest, Karen, who finally makes an appearance on RFN after years of being mentioned in Gui's multiplayer impressions. They've both been playing free digital copies of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Karen explains how it's the perfect follow-up to their Tomodachi Life antics. James celebrates the official launch of Kerbal Space Program by getting extremely addicted to this PC simulation, but he breaks free long enough to revisit the original Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Jon tried the new demo for Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition on 3DS, and it leaves him with more questions than answers. Jonny closes out this first segment with a take on Nintendo's own "endless" runner, HarmoKnight, plus quick thoughts on dredging Typing of the Dead: Overkill from his Steam library.

That's not the last mention of Steam either, because Listener Mail gets straight into our shameful backlogs and how each one of us tries to hold back the surging tide of games. You'll also hear an extended preview of our hopes and fears for Splatoon, especially after its own Direct and surprise beta test. Last but not least, we give serious thought to the potential for Hideo Kojima to come work with Nintendo in his post-Metal Gear career phase. Ridiculous? Maybe not.

We love hearing from all listeners, so please send your own email to the show! Also, the tentative date for RFN RetroActive is set for the week of May 25th. If you've already started playing Twilight Princess, keep going -- this is the home stretch, and there's so much to consider in this huge and complex game. If you have any particular thoughts or just need a helping hand, this is your new favorite bookmark.

Time: 2'08"32
Download: MP3 | AAC
Rappin' Lindy: /mic drop

AnGer

My way of avoiding too much of a backlog is simple: I just don't buy new consoles. Yes, I still get a backlog from the consoles that I own (there are roughly 20-30 games on those which I still want to play but do not own yet and it's probably going to get less over time since there's a threshold of how long I don't play a game until I've decided to stop caring), but resisting the enticement of purchasing a new console - which has been working so far with the current generation of gaming consoles, although the Wii U is getting more and more attractive as 2016 moves closer - has helped me keep the infamous backlog in check.

Top Bottom