• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

silks

They don't put obstacles in your way to force you to learn every tool up front- they just leave the tools in and let you figure stuff out if you have the curiosity and patience. The fallout from this is that people who expect everything to be broken down and shown to you Nintendo style come away thinking that Capcom's titles are cheap or shallow, when in fact they're built to reward the dedicated player in a non-grind-requiring way.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. People have become so used to everything being explained to them 100% up front that having to actually do the slightest bit of outside research about how to master a game is considered bad design.

I'm a throwback to the days when you couldn't find out anything about any game short of hoping it came up 3 months down the line in an issue of EGM you picked up at the supermarket, so I welcome the ability to dig deeper into a game (which is why I play MMOs, I like doing research into rotations and mastering the nuances of different classes).

Ondore

Got to high rank in MH4U SP, saw a cringe moment at SGDQ... oh yeah, RFN time! And it's 50% Commonwealth this week.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40813/episode-437-yoshi-the-harbinger
Episode 437 "Yoshi the Harbinger" said:
It feels as if Radio Free Nintendo will never return to the comfortable configuration of Gui, James, Jon, and Jonny. Alas, summer plans often split up the crew, and this week it's Jonny's turn to miss an episode. Thankfully, the cast is joined by the one and only Mr. Greg Leahy.

Greg does not disappoint, starting off New Business with import impressions of the yet-to-be-announced for Western release Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+. Nintendo may be pretending this game doesn't exist outside of Japan, but after hearing Greg you wont be able to. Next, Jon talks about current PS+ free game, Rocket League. Of course you should go get it if you already have PS+, but he compares this rocket car soccer game to Nintendo's biggest game of the year-to-date, Splatoon. Guillaume follows with a report from Nintendo of Canada's Quebec post-E3 media event. He has brief impressions of Tri Force Heroes, Star Fox Zero, and much more. James counters the rest of the trio's impressions of new and upcoming games with his hotly-anticipated impressions of Pokémon Channel. The less said, the better. Lastly, Greg and Gui give tag-team impressions of a game Nintendo of America thinks is too hot for summer, Yoshi's Woolly World. Being in Europe, Greg has already bought and fully beat Yoshi's fluffy adventure, and Gui has a report on the co-op gameplay from the Nintendo of Canada event.

After the break, we have an NX-heavy dose of listener mail. Leading off, the crew is asked what would it take to get them into Amiibo. Predictably, it turns into sequel begging. Following up is a trio of NX or NX-related questions touching on topics from Wii U/3DS to NX ports, to how Game Freak titles ended up on non-Nintendo systems, to the power-to-gimmick ratio of the NX.

Just a reminder, we're doing our first Retroactive Jr. on Blaster Master. We've rescheduled our Retroactive Jr. for two weeks from now. Check out the official thread to post your comments and questions and maybe we'll read them on the show!

If you want to watch James watch Pokémon you can experience the entire first day of Pokémon Channel with him here.

Thanks to Greg for joining us this week!

Time: 2'25"44
Donwloads: MP3 | AAC
GameFreak non-Tendo: There's a thread for that.

Tom_Cody

Great episode.

I have become extremely skeptical of Yoshi games, but I'm now pretty excited about Woolly World's US release. That said, it doesn't help matters that Mario Maker is coming out first. I full expect to throw myself into MM, and I'm sort of doubtful that I will need another 2D platforming experience immediately following that.

The Pokémon Channel segment was a lot of fun. I have James' video bookmarked and I'll look forward to checking it out. Now I'm actually really curious about how the 'game' progresses (new channels, new TV, etc).

Dingens

I finished Rhythm Heaven the best last night and Greg was pretty much spot on. The "story" is about this pink haired bear who fell from rhythm heaven (yes, that's a real place in the game apparently) to earth and now you, the player character has to support him restore everybody's mojo so he can return.

pretty good episode overall, although there is one thing I'm somewhat conflicted about.
I know this is a gaming podcast and as gaming enthusiasts you're naturally more interested in "results" than in what's necessary to archive them. I'm ofc talking about your "I don't give a shit about energy consumption" stance. It's not the first time this came up. I'm pretty sure Johnny also commented on it in the same, dare I say, egoistical way a while back. This isn't about "caring for the environment" or "global warming" or anything like that, it's about caring for the future, the planet were all living on, and the limited resources were are using up faster than ever.
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised...

btw: the reason why Japanese companies care about energy consumption is their so called "top-runner-program". And as you can probably gather from that map, Japan isn't the only country that has something like that in place.

I haven't gotten that far in the latest episode, but I can speak to the earlier discussion of energy consumption that you mention -- because it didn't happen. At least not in any way that you characterized it. That sounds so different from my actual attitude that I wonder if you could be mixing up a memory from some other podcast. At most, I would say that console power consumption is likely not a major contributor to the average American's total usage, and therefore our attention and criticism would do more good on the low-hanging fruit (poor transportation infrastructure, high-duty lighting, HVAC) than worrying about a consumer device with such relatively low duty cycle. I take this stuff seriously, as monitoring and optimizing power usage in spacecraft design is an aspect of my job and training as an engineer. I think about that stuff almost every day,

Dingens

thanks for clarifying, that's good to hear. Also sorry for the accusation, it may have been a different pod cast, I can't really remember anymore... I thought it was you but I might have been mistaken.
sorry again

Crimm

Are you attempting a sick nationalism burn here?

Kyoto is an imperfect treaty, to say the least and I'm not sure using participation stats as of 2010 is the best way to represent environmental awareness - especially following the failure to ratify a second round at Doha in 2012.

As for the specifics, I find it puzzling that the energy usage of the Wii console would be the determining factor for anyone's decision to purchase it as opposed to its competitors. It isn't to say Nintendo was off base being concerned about environmental impact, but to use it as a major selling point seems puzzling. At launch you were talking about a light bulb or two difference between the Wii and the 360/PS3. To couch that in terms of economics, which Nintendo very much did, is a bit lunacy. You're looking at roughly 1 US cent/hour. At even double average current energy prices it's hardly a major expense. Harvesting of rare earth metals and disposal of broken or otherwise trashed of video game consoles is a much more pressing issue that the use of a tenth of a kWh. Any attempt to discuss impact of a console needs to look at the entire lifecycle - including the output of the Chinese factory where the system is made.

Weetrick

This thread got weird.

Anyway, good episode this week. I love hearing from Greg - He's not on GAF, is he? I'm glad to hear about the positive changes Yoshi made to the collectibles. The game has definitely caught my interest.

Also, with James at the helm and Jonny away, I expected it to go more off the rails. I'm not sure if I feel relief or disappointment.

Somnid

Power consumption focus is sorta a product of the cultural context. Like in California you probably have a lot of people making small choices about water because it's a real issue that has become more pressing. That might mean not serving drinking water at a restaurant or installing a low fill toilet. And overall it's that's not going to make the same sort of dent limiting commercial water usage is, but it's something and it makes people feel good about themselves when they participate. In the same way energy consciousness is pretty important in the Japanese market. This is country that doesn't use dryers because they use too much energy and things got even worse after the tsunami where real fears of energy insecurity have set in. It's not completely about the cost savings. It's not a concern of the US, and perhaps varies depending where you are in Europe so there is detachment. I'd say it should be a secondary concern because they are an internationally focused company but it's understandable it permeates the mindset of people making the hardware.

Crimm

It did get weird. Jon made a joke about the way Nintendo talked about the Wii and here we go dissecting international relations on carbon emissions and having to explicitly demand water from my server. If we can just get in some commentary on the continued use of Fertile Crescent-style flood irrigation in CA we'll have covered the whole gamut.

I got to say, I really look forward to Nintendo returning to releasing games because the stack of stuff I have for the show isn't getting any less weird from Pokemon Channel. I DO THIS FOR THE SHOW

It makes sense for Nintendo to be extra-conscious of power consumption -- they make a ton of handheld devices (including the GamePad) that are dependent on batteries.

Ondore

Warning: High amounts of Destiny in this episode.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40868/episode-438-spiritual-predecessor
Episode 438 "Spiritual Predecessor" said:
You know it's going to be a weird one when James starts off with Samba de Amigo for Wii. Yes, it's the terrible sequel to Sega's beloved Dreamcast rhythm game, except this one was developed by Gearbox and doesn't work. Next up is Jonny, who has ventured deeper into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and also started Ori and the Blind Forest... on his new Xbox One. That should really help with the backlog. Jon is up last with a return to Destiny, and yet, we do find some common ground between that online experience and Nintendo's own Splatoon.

After the break, we round up several fairly fresh news topics that seem to be focused on Japanese games. You'll hear about the latest updates and optional content for Smash Bros. and Splatoon. There's the complicated announcement of Dragon Quest XI for 3DS, PS4, and... NX? How about those latest Super Mario Maker details! Would you be interested in bizarre Kickstarter exploits for Mighty No. 9 and Red Ash? Well then, maybe the best we can offer is Final Fantasy Explorers coming to the West.

Don't forget to play and comment on the classic Blaster Master for RetroActive Jr. -- time is running out! Also, be sure to catch the important announcement at the end of this episode. We'll see you next week, and the email link is here if you feel like giving us something to talk about when Guillaume returns.

Time: 2'14"59
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
A Gearbox game doesn't work: I, for one, did not expect this.

Ondore

Note: I don't listen to the show before I do the posts for it, so I'm only hearing Jonny's announcement(s) now.

Godspeed, Doctor.

What's this about? Guess I have to listen to the ep.

Jonny's stepping down from the show. More will be explained next week, but James will take over as host and Greg is coming back to the show. Sounds like a necessary shakeup, but hopefully he doesn't vanish forever into the ether. Either way, thanks for the hours upon hours of entertainment, Jonny.

Crimm

I'm viewing my transition as mostly a planning change. I don't desire to speak appreciably more than i already do, so expect to hear a lot more of the others. We are going to make some changes but nothing drastic and nothing right away. I've talked to the guys, they all have stuff they want to see. We're going to make it work as a team, my job is to help sort it out. The Retroactive changes I announced a few weeks back are the first ones. As of now the rest of them are ideas, but they're all around giving the show a bit more variety on a week to week basis, especially when releases are slow.

I will say, one perk of hosting is when I bust Jon's balls all my commentary is the official position of the show. I think that's how this works? Podcast Host Infallibility?

silks

thanks for clarifying, that's good to hear. Also sorry for the accusation, it may have been a different pod cast, I can't really remember anymore... I thought it was you but I might have been mistaken.
sorry again

It was probably me. For the record, I don't give a shit about energy consumption.

Cindro

Jonny - let me just say thank you for your hundreds (more likely thousands) of hours you poured into RFN. You were the definition of a classy host: always prepared, always contributing salient points, interactive with and appreciative of RFN's fan community, and constantly keeping positive energy throughout each show you were on.

This is so bizarre - Jonny leaving and Greg returning. A Sophie's choice if ever I saw one.

Don't be a stranger to RFN, man - we all love you and don't want you to disappear from our ears forever.

Absolute best of luck with everything, Dr. Metts!

Negator

James "Fuck Mother Earth" Jones

I would also like to thank you for all the years of hosting the show. I'm not even kidding or exaggerating when I say that you guys easily have the best video game podcast, it is a highlight of my week. While the show will definitely change as a result, I am absolutely sure that RFN will come out unscathed because of the foundation and legacy you will have left.

The tyrant has fled, let the age of Hyrule Scarves begin!

Tomohawk

This is so bizarre - Jonny leaving and Greg returning. A Sophie's choice if ever I saw one.

Don't be a stranger to RFN, man - we all love you and don't want you to disappear from our ears forever.

I concur, listening to you on RFN and BOP has become an enjoyable tradition of mine, one I hoped to continue forever. That being said I hope you success in all your endeavors, unless its something super not cool. That being said I haven't sent a question to bop in forever hopefully I will have something for next episode.

OMG Aero

Man this is a bummer, I didn't listen to RFN in the pre-Jonny era so the podcast won't be the same without him as regular host. You guys sure know how to make an announcement though, announce the worst podcast news together with the best podcast news to soften the blow.
I hope the first episode after Jonny leaves is like that episode from a while ago where he couldn't make it for some reason (I think it was when he had the flood) and the podcast just turned into a bizarre impromptu Jonny memorial cast instead.

Neifirst

Greg is coming back???!!!! Love the other guys of course, but it was Greg's contributions that made me a fan of RFN in the first place, and his absence the past couple years was definitely felt. I'm really looking forward to the new lineup.

Thanks for all the great work over the years Jonny. Hopefully you'll make an appearance for future E3s or the NX reveal(s).

Makonero

Gonna miss you Jonny. Guess it's a good thing I've started listening to the BOP backlog. Super excited for Greg to come back. Whenever a door closes, another opens.

I would like to thank Jonny for his amazing dedication to the podcast and the personal impact he's had on my life. He embodies many of the attributes I strive to attain. Thoughtful, reasoned opinions, uncompromising and uplifting optimism and honest criticism of the hobbies he loves.

I've been a listener for 7 years, I have never heard the show without Jonny as the permanent host. However it seems appropriate to channel the optimism he has through this transition. I'm looking forward to James taking over and Greg returning.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors Jonny!

And long live RFN!

Katsuragi

Jonny, thanks for the countless hours of good podcasting. I came across the podcast in 2011 but have since gone back to listen to the older episodes as well. RFN is by far my favorite gaming podcast and you and the crew have given me so many hours of entertainment and fun. I really appreciate it and hope you'll come back as a guest as often as you can!

Symtendo

Gonna have to jump in on the Metts love! My very first RFN was when he lost his 3DS at a festival... It led to a (rare for him) rant about Nintendo's account system which part of me was rolling my eyes at but the other part was respecting the honesty greatly.

Obviously, rants after that have been few and far between and its left me with a lot of respect for his reasoned, fair and optimistic opinions of both Nintendo and their competition.

He's always been super helpful if I've had quick questions I've thrown at him on Twitter and I've tried a few other of his podcasts based purely on him, even if I have had very little interest in the subject matter. His Connectivity space segments are a recommended listen!

Thanks Jonny and good luck sir, my morning commutes will not be the same without your voice!

I paused the podcast with about six minutes to go and didn't get to resume until just now, so I only just heard the announcement.

I know it was only a matter of time as nothing lasts forever, but it's not going to be the same show without Jonny. I am very conflicted as Greg is back, so it's a bit confusing.

Anyway Jonny, I just wanted to thank you for all the hours of entertainment you've provided me. I've been listening to the show since at least 2010 and even went back and listened to every episode from the beginning. In that time, my life has changed dramatically. I got engaged, married, had a kid and changed jobs several times in that span and you guys have been there with me for all of it. I've listened to the show on planes, trains, buses, hospital waiting rooms and hotel rooms, in three different homes and two different cars. Heck, I listened to the show while on my honeymoon!

Anyway, regardless of whatever it is you are moving on to, I wish you the very best. God speed, Dr Metts.

My last show will go up later today, and I just want to say a huge "Thank You" to everyone here on GAF for listening and commenting and saying such kind things, not only this past week but for the past few years. As a GAF member since the early 2000s, I was thrilled when Donald set up this thread and actually maintained it week after week. It not only introduced our show to thousands of new listeners (some even stuck with it!) but also gave us yet another rich vein of feedback and excellent discussion.

As of now, I'm just another listener and GAFfer, and that's a great crowd to be part of. I hope you will all join me in supporting the new (old) cast as they retool the show and find a new dynamic for it!

My last show will go up later today, and I just want to say a huge "Thank You" to everyone here on GAF for listening and commenting and saying such kind things, not only this past week but for the past few years. As a GAF member since the early 2000s, I was thrilled when Donald set up this thread and actually maintained it week after week. It not only introduced our show to thousands of new listeners (some even stuck with it!) but also gave us yet another rich vein of feedback and excellent discussion.

As of now, I'm just another listener and GAFfer, and that's a great crowd to be part of. I hope you will all join me in supporting the new (old) cast as they retool the show and find a new dynamic for it!

Thanks for the entertainment Jonny. I've only listened for about a year or so but i've always enjoyed the podcast and i'm still looking forward to it every monday morning here in Europe.

Ondore

Looks like I have to move a tag around in the first post. (Thoughts at the bottom)
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40918/episode-439-grapple-dem-tears
Episode 439 "Grapple Dem Tears" said:
Last week, Jonny announced his plan to retire from Radio Free Nintendo after over seven years as the show's producer and host. While certainly it weighs on the show, the crew pulls together to put out one last show for the road, including the Retroactive Jr. for Blaster Master.

As its his last episode as host, Jonny kicks off a history-focused New Business. He starts with impressions of the recently released for download Kirby's Return to Dreamland. He follows up with the retro collection, Rare Replay, now available on Xbox One. Guillaume roots through his the property of his girlfriend's parents to find their copy of Mario Kart: Double Dash. He then puts his new thiefing skills to use in the retro RPG Dragon Fantasy. James continues the hits during the Nintendo of America: Too Hot for Summer Tour 2015 with import impressions of banana-giant god game Doshin the Giant (you can see more of that here). Lastly, not to be left out of this exploration of gaming's past, Jon has impressions of Journey, recently re-released on PS4.

After the break its time for the first ever Retroactive Jr. Nintendo may have selected Blaster Master but the crew has a lot to say about this tank platforming, isometric on-foot shooting, frog rescuing NES game. Highlights include: discussion of gameplay mechanics, the weird localized plot, your posts and emails, comments on Blaster Master from Nathan Fouts of Mommy's Best Games, and a dramatic reading. Thanks to all those that participated and played along with us.

After one final break comes the moment the entire show is building towards: the Doctor gives his "15 minute" farewell address to the RFN community. In true RFN form, it takes 45 minutes. If you needed a reminder, we're always going to be RFN. And, we'll always owe Jonny a huge debt of gratitude for his role in making RFN what it is.

We'll be back next week with a new host, a new old friend in chair 4 (and climbing, unless Jon gets his act together), and the same RFN that we thank you for listening to every week. Send us your emails with any questions or comments you have, and we may use them in the show! And as always, thanks for listening. Its our listeners that have made it possible for us to do this for the better part of the decade.

Time: 3'01"48
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Also in New Business: Jonny plays Killer Instinct (Xbox One, and yes Rash is involved).
---

I was looking for new gaming podcasts in 2009 to fit my gaming tastes - Nintendo and RPGs. I found Radio Free Nintendo since it was highly rated (hey kids, rate and review on iTunes!) and it appealed to me because it had the whole episode history on iTunes and I needed an excuse to fill an iPod Classic. It clicked right away, and a lot of it was due to Jonny's hosting.

Little did I know that this site that I had been boycotting because of some stupid GameFAQs grudge renamed, refocused and put out a damn good podcast. I became a part of the community and ended up becoming the site's News Editor, actually got to appear on the show and sort of took care of running the show here.

Jonny always brought professionalism to the show even though he wasn't getting paid for it, and went through a lot of hell for this show (flash flooding, anyone?). After seven and a half years, I understand the itch to move on, but it's still going to be weird not hearing him every week.

Godspeed, Doctor. Maybe we can meet up at E3 next year?

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
Thank you for the hours of entertainment Jonny! As a relatively recent fan (started listening last summer) this is the only version of the RFN crew that I've ever known. I'm hopeful that the show will still be high quality, but your thoughtful perspective and positive energy will be missed!

repeater

I've also only been on the RFN train for about a year. I listen to quite a lot of gaming podcasts, and Jonny's hosting has been absolutely top tier. He's always brought interesting and, I found, very balanced viewpoints of his own to the discussion as well.
You'll be missed, man, but I hope the rest of the crew can keep the quality up going forward and I hope you'll be back soon as a guest! All the best in your future endeavours.

Weetrick

Jonny, thanks for the countless hours of entertainment. I can't imagine the amount of effort it takes to run a weekly podcast of this quality for so long. Best of luck with the book and anything else you decide to do. So glad to hear Discover Music Project is continuing! My offer to be the first listener co-host on a They Might Be Giants episode still stands! And I hope to see you continue posting here in the GAF thread.

James, best of luck with the new position. I'm excited for what a new era of RFN may bring. We all have faith in you dude.

Jon, Gui and Greg, you guys are all awesome and have worked so hard to make the show great. I can't wait for the future of RFN. It's the dawn of a new era.

Jonny, thanks for the countless hours of entertainment. I can't imagine the amount of effort it takes to run a weekly podcast of this quality for so long. Best of luck with the book and anything else you decide to do. So glad to hear Discover Music Project is continuing! My offer to be the first listener co-host on a They Might Be Giants episode still stands! And I hope to see you continue posting here in the GAF thread.

James, best of luck with the new position. I'm excited for what a new era of RFN may bring. We all have faith in you dude.

Jon, Gui and Greg, you guys are all awesome and have worked so hard to make the show great. I can't wait for the future of RFN. It's the dawn of a new era.

Is James the new host confirmed? He has the energy to do it and my personal favorite of the show.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Man these last minutes were so emotional. I will really miss you Johnny it's kinda crazy that I won't be listening to your voice weekly from now. I have been listening to Radio Free Nintendo for over 5 years now and not having you around anymore... This hurts.

Thank you for all the time and hours you spend on producing and hosting the best Nintendo related podcast on the net.

While I'll miss you as a host I'm more happy for you that you were able to pull the plug on your own terms and timing. That's always the hardest part, even so you made sure the show is in good hands before exiting the building.

Guess I will have to follow your twitter account a bit more closely to get your opinios I current games.

And bro... Yeah you definitely need to play Bayonetta 2 - you will love it.

Jhoan

Haven't listened to the episode yet since I've yet to download it, but I wanted to pop in here and say that it's been a pleasure listening to your pipes Metts. There comes a point in life where we to do something even bigger or personal, we have to leave behind something else that we love doing/have been comfortable doing for a while. It's something that's been on the back of my mind on and off this year. Garnet Lee gave up his love of podcasting to focus on his career but still makes appearances every now and then. End of an era for sure but it's the beginning of a new one. Really enjoyed the Eat That Frog reader mail as a sober reminder about how important our lives outside of what we love doing is vital to our well being.

I totally have complete respect for you and will miss your insightful commentary on games of old and what have you. I'm a recentish fan that i've been listening to modern episodes on and off. I think James is going to be a pretty damn good host so I'll continue listening to it because I think it's still the best Nintendo centric podcast out there next to IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat which I thank you guys for recommending. All the best to you in your future endeavors. :D

subrosian

Neo Member
Thanks Johnny! I've been a lurking listener for awhile. I listen to the podcast every Monday morning on my commute to work. You and the other guys always brightened up my Monday morning. I wish I had the chance to participate more in the community and engage in the conversation. Your ending speech really touched me, and I think I'm going to try to get more involved in the conversation in this upcoming new RFN.

Thanks again for the entertainment and enjoy your extra time to play some more games!

Well wishes!

Wow, that was a tough last few minutes to listen to. Thank you Johnny for the countless hours you've put into RFN and making it into one of the best gaming podcasts out there. You'll be missed, but I'll be looking forward to hearing from you in BOP, and hopefully on RFN from time to time. Good luck, and have fun on your future projects!

Cindro

And with the episode concluded, I can officially add a second member to my personal podcast host Hall of Fame:

2508621-2508620-img_0002.jpg

Thanks again for everything, Jonny. We love you <3

Weetrick

And with the episode concluded, I can officially add a second member to my personal podcast host Hall of Fame:

Thanks again for everything, Jonny. We love you <3

Whoa! Jonny looks so intense. Like a scarier, GCN era version of this mighty warrior:
nintendo-warrior.jpg

That photo was so much fun to set up. I really wanted to capture the burden (haha) of doing the site for so long. Those were all the E3 badges I could find at the time -- turns out that some of my oldest ones were packed away in my parents' attic, and I only just recently found them. I should now have a near-complete set from the past fifteen years, so maybe I'll plan an update to that photo for the next NWR birthday in March.

Top Bottom