• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

Negator

Don't be afraid to look at a guide if you get stuck/lost for Ys 1 and 2. They are very old school games, yes. In both good and bad ways.

Thanks, and we're glad you enjoyed it! Still a lot of coverage I haven't yet seen for myself, actually. I'm almost caught up on all my subscribed E3 podcasts, though!

Ondore

James mentioned on the last show's intro that there was an E3 podcast lost to the ether.

Having witnessed the carnage, I can confirm that I shoved it there. #PleaseUnderstand

Ondore

I was told the 2016 GOTY got brought up at the end of the show, but having not listened I'm wondering if it got cut.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40685/episode-434-dr-warios-snake-oil
Episode 434 "Dr. Wario's Snake Oil" said:
We're sorry that you had to wait so long for a proper episode after E3, but it's here now, and it's full of new games and your questions about what went down at gaming's biggest show.

Guillaume begins at the beginning, with Earthbound Beginnings. He also tries the new(-ish) Dr. Mario for 3DS and revisits both Pikmin (New Play Control version for Wii) and his beloved Pikmin 3. Jon focuses on New Super Mario Bros. U (not to be outdone by rival J.C. of the Famicast) and shares tales of a recent visitor. James goes arcade-esque with Donkey Kong '94 and Whoa Dave! Then, he leads a group discussion of Splatoon, which continues to be a satisfying summer game for most of the crew -- and Jon might even try it soon. This is a big, catch-up edition of New Business after a few weeks away, so Jonny wraps up the segment with final thoughts on Elliot Quest, a return to Broken Age, and a surprise licensed game for 3DS.

We didn't get to as much Listener Mail as originally intended, so look for more coming very soon. However, there is an attempt to explain SMT X Fire Emblem (or whatever its nonsense name) and consider ways that Miyamoto could excite people who always seem to catch up years later. That sort of derails us into a final summary of Nintendo's appearance at E3... Finally, against our better judgement (i.e. Guillaume), we approached a joke question that lead us down the dark path of Metroid Prime: Federation Force. It definitely wasn't the most cheerful way to end the podcast, and we'll do better next time. Won't you please help?

After you send in that one topic that's bugging you, please check out Jonny on the latest episode of Connectivity (sounding much more hopeful about Metroid) and tackling all the summer movies over on Box Office Poison. There's more cross-media fun coming soon from your RFN buddies! And of course, we have a lot more to say about Nintendo's outlook throughout this summer and beyond. Thank you all for listening!

Time: 2'14"39
Download: MP3 | AAC
Connectivity: Also features me talking about E3 and doing way too much "next console" fantasy booking.

Tomohawk

Haven't gotten around to listening to most recent RFN, but listened to connectivity podcast where Nick and Jonny talk about Metroid. Really enjoy when you guys, talk about a games mechanics.

Dingens

Don't be afraid to look at a guide if you get stuck/lost for Ys 1 and 2. They are very old school games, yes. In both good and bad ways.

thanks! I'll make sure to keep that in mind.
also thanks to everyone else. I guess I'll start with the first one then.

SMT X Fire Emblem (or whatever its nonsense name)
nonsense?

after reading through the gaf thread about the Treehouse demo, I have to agree: the game is a parody on the Japanese idol business. That's something a lot of people don't seem to get because "ughh... foreign culture, I'm offended/I don't understand"-instant brain shut-downs that kept happening since the game was officially re-announced. I think the game is way more clever about this whole entertainment business stuff than most people seem to realize
I mean, Tiki is a Vocoloid... how much more parody can you get?

Johnny: "nintendo makes nothing fresh or new because they don't compete", before and after: "splatoon is fresh and new"
so, which one is it?
anyway, I have to disagree. competition is pretty much meaningless within a creative business (not talking about their hardware side btw)

also always fun hearing johnny being salty about treehouse live :p

Effect

Parodies only really work when you have an understanding of what is being parodied. This game, while I'm am still curious about it being an RPG fan in general, doesn't seem like it was designed with a non-Japanese audience in mind. Not even close. Nor is it being treated like it will be released outside of Japan with not even having an english title when the game is supposedly almost done for the Japanese release and was going to be demoed at a English speaking event. A lot of it will initially go over people's heads as it should. I wouldn't be surprised if not once did it occur to the development staff that those outside of Japan would be playing the game at some point. I still don't understand why they showed this and didn't show so many other things. This game and it's trailer would have been completely appropriated at TGS or for a Japanese Nintendo Direct. Needing games to pad out things isn't an excuse because they had those but choose not to show a number of them.

That's not to say the game couldn't be good. That Nintendo couldn't explain the game well to make it sell. This E3 outside of the NWC and the Smash Direct was horrible managed and presentation was all over the place. I don't get why though. It's so easy to setup from where I'm sitting unless there was a TON of last minute changes.

silks

Johnny: "nintendo makes nothing fresh or new because they don't compete", before and after: "splatoon is fresh and new"
so, which one is it?

Splatoon is a single game.

Look at everything else they've released on consoles over the last decade. It goes something like: Mario platformer, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Smash, Pokemon whatever, Zelda whatever, Yoshi something or other, maybe sometimes they'll go CRAZY and release a Kirby game or a Pikmin game. But that's about it. Metroid and F-Zero have vanished, and hell they aren't even off-the-beaten-path franchises. It's the Pokemarizelda triumvirate over and over.

The fact that third parties avoid Nintendo like the plague nowadays makes this overreliance on these three franchises even more glaring. Splatoon doesn't change these facts by itself.

Somnid

Look at everything else they've released on consoles over the last decade. It goes something like: Mario platformer, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Smash, Pokemon whatever, Zelda whatever, Yoshi something or other, maybe sometimes they'll go CRAZY and release a Kirby game or a Pikmin game. But that's about it. Metroid and F-Zero have vanished, and hell they aren't even off-the-beaten-path franchises. It's the Pokemarizelda triumvirate over and over.

The fact that third parties avoid Nintendo like the plague nowadays makes this overreliance on these three franchises even more glaring. Splatoon doesn't change these facts by itself.

It's the Nintendo catch-22. If they aren't there people will complain the franchises are dead, if they are there people complain of saturation. Nintendo has so many cherished 2nd tier sales franchises that that one will always be missing for 10+ years even though they consistently rotate through them. Before Metroid it was Starfox, before Starfox it was Pikmin, before Pikmin it was Kid Icarus, before Kid Icarus it was Donkey Kong platformers, Punch-out, 2D-Mario, Metroid again etc, etc.

Dingens

Parodies only really work when you have an understanding of what is being parodied. This game, while I'm am still curious about it being an RPG fan in general, doesn't seem like it was designed with a non-Japanese audience in mind. Not even close. Nor is it being treated like it will be released outside of Japan with not even having an english title when the game is supposedly almost done for the Japanese release and was going to be demoed at a English speaking event. A lot of it will initially go over people's heads as it should. I wouldn't be surprised if not once did it occur to the development staff that those outside of Japan would be playing the game at some point. I still don't understand why they showed this and didn't show so many other things. This game and it's trailer would have been completely appropriated at TGS or for a Japanese Nintendo Direct. Needing games to pad out things isn't an excuse because they had those but choose not to show a number of them.

That's not to say the game couldn't be good. That Nintendo couldn't explain the game well to make it sell. This E3 outside of the NWC and the Smash Direct was horrible managed and presentation was all over the place. I don't get why though. It's so easy to setup from where I'm sitting unless there was a TON of last minute changes.

if it was a more subtle parody, yeah sure, knowing the source material would be necessary. but this, being over the top as it is, doesn't really require any knowledge. You don't need to understand every detail in order to enjoy something.
I'm hardly familiar with the Japanese idol market, but I don't see why I couldn't enjoy being introduced to it through this game. I won't know unless I try.

I'm not sure if I'll be ever able to understand this "non-Japanese audience in mind" notion. Call of Duty isn't developed with a "non-american audience in mind", doesn't mean I can't enjoy it every now and then. I didn't understand sudoku until I gave it a go.

you know, lots and lots of Japanese and English media is being demoed at French and German speaking events, and I didn't hear anyone complains there. X was also shown in Japanese for at least 2 years in a row, and that's not the only one. If the game is going to be released next year, when are they supposed to start showing it? With the way the game is set up, an English dub is probably not going to happen anyway, so should they just refrain from showing the game at all?

We're living in a globalized world, not understanding everything instantly is absolutely fine. Also discovering new and unknown things can be a lot of fun too.
Expecting others to adopt to my tastes all the time seems a little bit arrogant to say the least.

If the game is not for you, that's fine. You (as in the general you btw) don't have to be the target audience for everything, just because it's a game and you are a gamer.
"catering to western tastes" has ruined so many great franchises over the last 10 years, I'd rather have Japanese studios make what they do best and create what they really want to create. That's what American studios do, that's what European studios do.

I don't like list wars so I'll refrain from posting one. But there should be a pretty good one somewhere on gaf ,that makes it pretty clear that Nintendo has published and developed way more non-mario/zelda/pokemon games over the last 10 years.
I can't speak for NoA though, as they really suck lately

Crimm

I tried to discuss the role of the idol industry, but to an extent it doesn't change the fact the plot - which seemed to be what the email was most interested in talking about - is bonkers. Because, I mean it is. That's totally okay. I'm 100% on board with that.

I'm curious if #FE will touch on the darker elements of idol culture, but likely it wont - it's probably not where they want to take the plot of this game. I do think they could do it while maintaining tonal consistency - but that doesn't seem to be their objective.

On creativity: one thing we touch on in the next episode is the fairly rapid evolution of 2D Mario games from Mario 3 to Yoshi's Island. It seemed a breath of fresh air when NSMB came out, because it had been such a long time since we got a new 2D Mario game. Since then, its become an endless march of new suits and power-ups. I absolve the comparative lack of new ideas to some extent - they were still defining the parameters of the genre in the 90s - but it would be nice if they really pushed the boundaries of their 2D platformers in a Yoshi's Island way (and no New Island or Yoshi's Wooly World aren't what I mean).

I think Nintendo, their affiliates, and second parties remain stocked to the gills with creative people. Codename STEAM didn't do it for me, but I respect some of the creative impulses on display. Xenoblade (the first) was both a creative approach to managing JRPG conventions and world building. Splatoon is a fun take on the third-person arena shooter - possibly the biggest deviation from the norm in that space since games like Monday Night Combat. They've released a string of 3DS titles developed both internally and externally that play with new ideas and designs. HOWEVER, it is very easy to look at NSMB, to look at Mario Kart, to look at Smash and feel like boxes are being checked off - even if those games are phenomenal.

I'll say this, and I'm using this game as an example - not because it's the only series afflicted by this, after MK8 I don't need another Mario Kart - possibly ever. It would be unfair to say MK8 (long-time listeners will know it as MK10) is lacking in creative touches. However, it would not be unfair to say the gameplay has been refined to the point that successive titles feel more similar than ever before. The "small" creativity is there (design elements, tracks, etc), but that series is in dire need of the "Big" creativity (broad gameplay ideas). I would be thrilled to pay for a Mario Kart game that might not be as refined and perfected, if I knew it did things in a substantially new way. While I'm not calling for Mario Racing, Rare knew the N64 didn't need another Mario Kart, so Diddy Kong Racing tries a lot of unique approaches to kart racing.

This is where Nintendo needs to focus. Attracting more than their core fanbase must include reengaging with fans who are still active in gaming but aren't locked into serialized releases of NSMB games. They can get these fans' attention with a new Donkey Kong Country game after 15 years, but that's a card you can only play once or twice. After that, DKC returns to being the interest of their core; those who stick with Nintendo through everything will continue to do so. However, we've seen that increasingly refined versions of existing franchises is not bringing in former fans - the Wii U's sales tell us all we need to know on that front.

NX needs a MK game - MK8 has sold really well. I don't think it needs MK9. It needs a Mario Kart more than it needs a sequel to MK8. It needs 2D Mario, it doesn't need NSMB NX. I hope that makes sense.

And yes, Nintendo needs to fund more of the ideas they think up. Like I said, I'm confident in the creative prowess of their people. Persistent complaints among the most hard-core of the gaming community focus on the perceived lack of new ideas, sequelitis, etc. If Nintendo wants to present themselves as the answer to industry ills - and believe me they do - what better way to do it then keep a constant stream of small and mid-sized projects that have new ideas, new characters, and new worlds while ALSO regularly releasing large-fully new-games Splatoon-style.

OMG Aero

if it was a more subtle parody, yeah sure, knowing the source material would be necessary. but this, being over the top as it is, doesn't really require any knowledge. You don't need to understand every detail in order to enjoy something.
I'm hardly familiar with the Japanese idol market, but I don't see why I couldn't enjoy being introduced to it through this game. I won't know unless I try.

I'm not sure if I'll be ever able to understand this "non-Japanese audience in mind" notion. Call of Duty isn't developed with a "non-american audience in mind", doesn't mean I can't enjoy it every now and then. I didn't understand sudoku until I gave it a go.

you know, lots and lots of Japanese and English media is being demoed at French and German speaking events, and I didn't hear anyone complains there. X was also shown in Japanese for at least 2 years in a row, and that's not the only one. If the game is going to be released next year, when are they supposed to start showing it? With the way the game is set up, an English dub is probably not going to happen anyway, so should they just refrain from showing the game at all?

We're living in a globalized world, not understanding everything instantly is absolutely fine. Also discovering new and unknown things can be a lot of fun too.
Expecting others to adopt to my tastes all the time seems a little bit arrogant to say the least.

If the game is not for you, that's fine. You (as in the general you btw) don't have to be the target audience for everything, just because it's a game and you are a gamer.
"catering to western tastes" has ruined so many great franchises over the last 10 years, I'd rather have Japanese studios make what they do best and create what they really want to create. That's what American studios do, that's what European studios do.
Yeah, it seems weird to me that some people have this idea that if a game is heavily based on Japanese culture that means it's never going to be localised or it's going to be a failure if it is.
I think a lot of it is people vastly over estimating how important it is to fully and completely understand what a game is about, even if you don't know about the Japanese idol industry the idea of you being part of a talent agency will make enough sense for most people.
It's the same kind of situation with Yokai Watch. That's a game that people thought was never going to be localised because it's about Japanese mythology but sure enough it's coming to the west and they are still calling the creatures yokai rather than monsters or ghosts or trying to localise it into something else. Is the target audience going to know what a yokai is? Chances are they won't, but it doesn't matter because they'll either assume it's a thing invented for the game and they'll just roll with it or it's something they'll learn as they play the game, but either way it won't impact their enjoyment of the game and might actually enhance it since it's about something which is potentially a new and fresh concept to them.

Somnid

NX needs a MK game - MK8 has sold really well. I don't think it needs MK9. It needs a Mario Kart more than it needs a sequel to MK8. It needs 2D Mario, it doesn't need NSMB NX. I hope that makes sense.

I think I understand it but it's important to realize this is mostly an appeal to the core who buys them all. Most people might pickup a Mario Kart once a generation or two so it's important for Nintendo to have something like that available, and they're pretty good about once a generation. What's interesting is how the franchise forks tend to muddy the changes. Mario is a good example:

DS: Return to 2D with NSMB
Wii: Looked similar but actually NSMBW was the first simultaneous 2D multiplayer Mario.
3DS: Yeah it had NSMB2 but it also came out with a new type of isometric 3D Mario
WiiU: It did iterate on the multiplayer sub-type of NSMB, then it made the 3D isometric version multiplayer, then it split yet again with Super Mario Maker.

You can say that it's a lot of Mario which is true, but it's easy to miss what happened, and how even similar looking games are creating jumps large enough to spawn their own sub-franchises. This also moved the goalposts because we now compare inter-sub-franchise (like NSMB) rather than across all Mario platformers (itself a distinction from all of Mario games, and that a distinction from all Donkey Kong lineage games which can include Wario, Yoshi and DK franchises and spinoffs). Zelda is actually becoming quite similar and Metroid as well.

In any case things like Mario Maker are the new 2D Mario and we'll probably complain a bit when it takes of and appears on NX-console and NX-portable but we also get introduced to the open-world Mario sub-franchise which we'll complain about post-NX and get introduced with VR Mario sub-franchise and now Nintendo is maintaining like 6 different types Mario platformers.

Cindro

Next retroactive candidates should all be games Iwata played a major role in.

Such a deep and tragic loss :( I'm very much looking forward to whatever tribute section or episode RFN does, though - the community uniting under a unified banner to share grief always helps the healing process.

Hope the NWR crew is all doing alright. <3 you guys.

Crimm

Thanks! Of course, we don' talk about today's sad news on this week's episode, but we will talk about it next week, I'm sure. We actually announced our next Retroactive this week (sort of), so I'm going to stick with that for now - mostly because Nintendo can straight grief us. When asked, I've always said the most important thing for me is that RFN be a fun listen - a sentiment that's somewhat fitting at the moment.

I think the following Retroactive however would make a focus on Mr. Iwata a great idea. I'll say we plan to do more frequent Retroactives going forward - including more variety in game size. We're going to be adding in smaller games to fill some of the multi-month gaps between the sprawling epics and we'll add in some variability in how these games are selected.

Weetrick

I'll say we plan to do more frequent Retroactives going forward - including more variety in game size. We're going to be adding in smaller games to fill some of the multi-month gaps between the sprawling epics and we'll add in some variability in how these games are selected.

This is a great idea. After the endlessness that was Twilight Princess, I'd like to see a shorter Retroactive next (I haven't listened to the new announcement yet).

Ondore

The new episode is up, with Syrenne McNulty (4Corner Games, I've Got To Run on Wii U and 3DS, plus the upcoming MonoChrono) in the 4th chair.
Please note that this was recorded before the Iwata news broke (by about three days).
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40737/episode-435-discovery-of-a-superb-view

Games: Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fire Emblem Fates, Super Mario Bros 3 / World, Soul Hackers, Kuru Kuru Kururin

Listener Mail: Pikmin 3, Zelda fatigue, the 2016 GOTY

Time: 2'11"39"
Downloads: MP3 | AAC

OMG Aero

Despite being almost universal praise, the Xenoblade X segment really bummed me out on that game.
The things I liked most about the original Xenoblade Chronicles were the story and the character interactions, but it sounds like story isn't a focus this time around and I doubt character interaction is either with there only being three permanent party members (one of which is a custom character that will presumably be mute or not say much).

Crimm

Really enjoyed your nintendo news report on Iwata, was a very nice listen.

Thank you. It was nice catharsis for me. I'm glad people seemed to enjoy it.

Despite being almost universal praise, the Xenoblade X segment really bummed me out on that game.
The things I liked most about the original Xenoblade Chronicles were the story and the character interactions, but it sounds like story isn't a focus this time around and I doubt character interaction is either with there only being three permanent party members (one of which is a custom character that will presumably be mute or not say much).

I've had the pleasure of discussing the game with Syrenne a few times, and while the Iwata Asks for X stated the game has less story than its predecessor, I know I was surprised when she mentioned it to me. I wanted to make sure she touched on it, since it would be easy to not know that right now.

What was edited out of the podcast? Scandalous!

Area 51

Tom_Cody

Another great episode.

For the record, I'm really looking forward to Federation Force. I love the Prime series and I'm coming off of 350 hours with MH4U. Prime gameplay (generally speaking) combined with online co-op missions sounds like a great combination to me.

Really enjoyed your nintendo news report on Iwata, was a very nice listen.
Can someone link this?

Syrenne's audio had a lot of clipping (common problem among guests and before James got his Yeti microphone), so we had to do a lot of processing on her tracks.

Ondore

DID YOU KNOW: Before Dan Bloodworth reached his fame at GameTrailers, he wrote for Planet Gamecube and actually renamed the site.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40772/episode-436-federation-farce
Episode 436 "Federation Farce" said:
Guillaume is out this week, presumably honing his survival instincts deep in the Yukon. In his place; Jonny, Jon, and James are joined by GameTrailers Managing Editor (and Planet GameCube staff alum) Daniel Bloodworth. During the intro, James announces the surprisingly gracious Virtual Console gods have bestowed Blaster Master (NES) for our new "RetroActive Jr." feature. There's already a forum thread open, and we won't wait long to discuss this one, so drop off some goodies!

The show proper opens with happy memories of the late Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata; Dan carries memories of Mr. Iwata's time heading up HAL into New Business, with a revisit of Kirby's Adventure, and plays Witcher III for a second time. Next up, Jon finally joins the Splatfest with his impressions of Splatoon. How does the fan of online multiplayer shooters take to Nintendo's first foray into the field? Jonny follows with a look at the frenetic Hyrule Warriors for Wii U, the methodical Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for 3DS, and the finally available Drive Club PS+ edition for PS4. Lastly, James catches up with 2005's DS adventure game Trace Memory.

Following Now Playing, it's time for yet another Radio Free Nintendo presents: The Lord's of Thunder Round. Rapid-fire email topics include: investing in a New 3DS, the value proposition of Ocarina of Time 3D, third-party Amiibo characters, the future of Fire Emblem, Pokémon Shuffle, video game composers, and the game that cannot be named.

Thanks to Dan Bloodworth for joining us. To see more of Dan, check out GameTrailers.com, the GT YouTube channel or GT's Twitch stream. Be sure to check out the BackTrack episode covering the music of Chrono Cross.

While we don't spend a lot of time on it, you can hear more from James on the passing of Satoru Iwata in this week's Nintendo News Report. He joins Donald Theriault, and Alex Culafi for an open conversation about the man and his legacy. In tribute, he sports a three-piece suit.

To see more of Jonny, along with NWR Director Neal Ronaghan, check out the GameTrailer's E3 stream in which the two of them breakdown Nintendo's announcements and presentation.

Lastly, be sure to check out the episode of Jonny's music podcast, Discover Music Project, that inspired the this week's email on video game composers. He and Radio Trivia's Michael "TYP" Cole explore the catalog of Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka - composer of many of Nintendo's most recognizable tunes.

Time: 1'47"54
Download: MP3 | AAC
Similarities to Famicast 59: Entirely coincidental, I'm sure.
iTunes: Pending

Makonero

Is iTunes not working? I can't get the podcast to update and show the new episode.

I need my RFN fix!

P.S. Thank you guys for reading my email last week, I go by a bunch of monikers but "Zup" is my preferred nomenclature. ;) Glad to see Johnny go all in on the purveyors of Internet petitions!

Crimm

Yeah, sorry about the feed. Shockingly updating RSS by hand at 1 AM leads to dumb typos. It's fixed now so please enjoy.

Kansoku

For MH4U I wouldn't worry about armor now. For High Rank and G-Rank it's really important to pay attention to armor skill, but until then, it don't matter too much. The Tetsucabra set is a good starter one (for any rank) since it's kinda easy to get and have good skills (+Health and Defense Up and other stuff I don't remember). Eventually you're gonna want a set that has good skills for the weapon you're using, and this is were guides are helpful (and kinda necessary). most of the materials you will get naturally fighting the monster, but some rare ones require farming, which can take a long time (it might not be real, but damn the desire sensor). So I wouldn't worry about that, at least not for now. Now for weapons, yeah, farming is going to be a little more frequent. The thing is, generally, if you don't farm right away for weapon upgrades and leave it to naturally getting the materials, when you finally have it there will be a new weapon available to craft and chances are it's going to be better. Another thing to keep in mind in regards to farming is that with online, you generally will do a quest more than once. Like, you played online with person A and did quest X, now missing only quest Y. Then you go play with person B ho did quest Y already but not X. Both are going to replay a quest to help the other complete, so if you play online regularly you should be getting materials more easily.

With all that said tho, the use of guides really help. At least stuff like this app which is great for quickly checking monster weakness, item locations, and other minor stuff. Gaijinhunter's videos also helps a lot when it comes to understanding the weapons. Later on, Athena's ASS (Armor Set Search) is great for building set for specific skills. And a bunch of other stuff here. Nothing of this is really required, but they sure add a lot and make somethings much easier. You don't really have to know a lot of these stuff on Low Rank, but later on, it does help.

I'd love to! Know of a solution? I once wrote a text input/output file parser in Fortran, but coding it in a more widely useful language for our staff is another question. Surely there is a good tool out there. At the same time, knowing how to update XML by hand is a useful skill for troubleshooting. And I can update the show with nothing more than Notepad and a FTP client.

Somnid

I'd love to! Know of a solution? I once wrote a text input/output file parser in Fortran, but coding it in a more widely useful language for our staff is another question. Surely there is a good tool out there. At the same time, knowing how to update XML by hand is a useful skill for troubleshooting. And I can update the show with nothing more than Notepad and a FTP client.

I guess it depends if anyone on the staff has the chops to put it together but it seems like an afternoon project to me, first hit for a PHP feed writer: https://github.com/mibe/FeedWriter so it'd just be matter of gathering the items. No idea if you're just using file links or if there's a database behind it or what but if you can generate a new feed then it should be the same thing.

Tom_Cody

Jonny, here are a few comments in response to your Monster Hunter segment.

First off, there are only 3 tiers of armor and as a result the game is very deliberately set up so it doesn't make sense to fall into the armor grinding trap you described. The game is divided into three sections: Low Rank, High Rank, and G Rank. You are in Low Rank, and it represents roughly the first 40 hours of the game (if you are playing purely offline). Armor for each rank has roughly equivalent defense, so there is almost no benefit to crafting more than one armor set per rank (until you get to G rank). You can use that Jaggi set for the next 40 hours if you want. Just make sure to upgrade your armor with armor spheres once you start getting them. Beyond pure defense, armor also carries skills, but those don't really matter until G Rank when you will have access to better skills and you will better understand the nuances of the game (that is if you end up playing that long).

Regarding the segmented areas, they serve more of a deliberate purpose than I think you realize. The series is much more focused on co-op boss fights than 'hunting' and each one of the rooms within the total map serves its own gameplay purposes. Not every monster appears on every map and each monster will only go to certain rooms on each specific map. You are meant to fight these monsters over and over again, and the different rooms provide focused deliberate variety. Also, as Jon said, this also makes it so you are always close to the monsters. Just get used to paint-balling them as soon as you first encounter them in the level and you won't have a problem with this.

Regarding the interface and specifically the end of hunt item collection screen, I will just say that the interface is effectively optimized for experienced player. If you end up playing for 50 or more hours their decisions will start to make more sense. Regarding the specific comment about not simply dumping the items in your inventory box automatically, I get your point, but this represents rough half a second at the end of every multi-minute hunt. Not a major inconvenience IMO. And I'm sure that they did this to make you more specifically aware of what items/parts you have received from each hunt. If you do ever get to the point of grinding, you will will want to know the specific contents of your haul as soon as you can view it.

My final advice is simply to try playing online more. They did a great job with the single-player in MH4U, but the series is meant to be played online. Anything that you have enjoyed about it so far will be amplified once you get online. Also, the random matchmaking works great. I was hesitant to try online at first, but I really got into it once I realized how well the online works. At any point in the day you can simply hop online and quickly find a group of other hunters ready to do you are wanting to do online. No matter how general or specific those goals are.

Tom_Cody

One more MH4U bit.

If you want a Low Rank armor set that is better than the Jaggi set, you can definitely go with the Tetsucabra set that Kansoku and Jon reccomend. You could also go with this one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...eres_an_extremely_useful_low_rank_armour_set/

And here are the individual armor pieces and their 'ingredients'.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/kut-ku-cap
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/chest/kut-ku-mail
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/arms/velociprey-braces
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/waist/velociprey-tassets
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/legs/kut-ku-greaves

Thanks for all the info! It is a bit overwhelming... But I intend to keep going and will definitely play online with Jon, if nothing else. Sounds like the Tetsucabra is well worth seeking out, in the meantime.

silks

Oh sorry, I meant that the game itself is overwhelming. The large volume of (very kind) advice I'm getting is just evidence of that!

I look at MH4U the same way I look at MMOs. I'd describe them as a car dashboard. Is there a ton of information on your car dashboard, and when you first start driving is it all overwhelming? Yes, and yes. But once you start driving and get the hang of things you automatically tune out the 80% of stuff you don't need, and focus on your speed and gas.

It's high-investment, high-reward gameplay. but not even like a Dragon Quest or something like that. The systems are deeper and more nuanced.

Tom_Cody

Oh sorry, I meant that the game itself is overwhelming. The large volume of (very kind) advice I'm getting is just evidence of that!
Haha, no worries. I was just acknowledging the volume of my posts.

I look at MH4U the same way I look at MMOs. I'd describe them as a car dashboard. Is there a ton of information on your car dashboard, and when you first start driving is it all overwhelming? Yes, and yes. But once you start driving and get the hang of things you automatically tune out the 80% of stuff you don't need, and focus on your speed and gas.

It's high-investment, high-reward gameplay. but not even like a Dragon Quest or something like that. The systems are deeper and more nuanced.
Well said. MH4U was my first game in the series, and it is now on my all-time top 5 list. Once you cross the threshold, no game is more gratifying.

AnGer

Just finished James's New Business and I am reminded I still haven't finished all of the glorious weirdness that was early DS. Really need to pick up Lost In Blue.

And, if you go through Trace Memory/Another Code again,
you can get an alternative ending explaining more of the backstory of the Mansion and your ectoplasmic companion

leroidys

This is kind of Capcoms MO (and a design philosophy that carries over to platinum games), and why I still love the company. I got 75% of the way through RE4 before I even figured out that you could induce all the QTE moves at will by shooting the zombies in certain ways. They don't put obstacles in your way to force you to learn every tool up front- they just leave the tools in and let you figure stuff out if you have the curiosity and patience. The fallout from this is that people who expect everything to be broken down and shown to you Nintendo style come away thinking that Capcom's titles are cheap or shallow, when in fact they're built to reward the dedicated player in a non-grind-requiring way.

OMG Aero

Trace Memory/Another Code was a pretty good early DS game, I think my favourite thing about it was how meta some of the puzzles got like there was one (and I'll spoiler tag these in case James hasn't got this far yet) where you have to
get an imprint of something on the top screen and solution was to close your DS to stamp it on the bottom screen (this was before Phantom Hourglass came out and did the same thing and got all the credit for a neat idea)
and another one where you have
half of a message on the top and bottom screens and you have to close the DS halfway so that the half message on one screen reflects onto the other screen and makes a complete message

The Wii sequel was actually localised in Europe back when NoE was bring across games NoA didn't want for some reason, it's a shame it never came out in America because it was a pretty good game too. Maybe they'll put it on Wii U as an import game but who am I kidding NoA doesn't want to put American Wii games on Wii U let alone go to the effort of releasing games that didn't come out in America.

Dingens

[...]

Regarding the segmented areas, they serve more of a deliberate purpose than I think you realize. The series is much more focused on co-op boss fights than 'hunting' and each one of the rooms within the total map serves its own gameplay purposes. Not every monster appears on every map and each monster will only go to certain rooms on each specific map. You are meant to fight these monsters over and over again, and the different rooms provide focused deliberate variety. Also, as Jon said, this also makes it so you are always close to the monsters. Just get used to paint-balling them as soon as you first encounter them in the level and you won't have a problem with this.[...]

pretty much... those sectioned off zones are by design, not due to hardware limitations (anymore?) - just look at the chinese monster hunter for pc. It's not an (mmo)rpg, Monster Hunter is an arena-brawler and the zones are your arenas. It's a little bit like dead or alive where the arena keeps changing constantly.
Having a Xenoblade-like open world would make the game a chore. Chasing a monster for more than a minute would completely break the flow.
By removing the zones, you'd also remove what makes the game (in it's current form) function. It would become an entirely different game. Maybe you'll get your wish some day in form of a spin-off or something, seems like they started experimenting with spin-offs over the last years

[...]

The Wii sequel was actually localised in Europe back when NoE was bring across games NoA didn't want for some reason, it's a shame it never came out in America because it was a pretty good game too. Maybe they'll put it on Wii U as an import game but who am I kidding NoA doesn't want to put American Wii games on Wii U let alone go to the effort of releasing games that didn't come out in America.

yeah, I remember playing that back than. the reviews score where lower, but I liked it a little bit better than the ds game, probably because it had more substance. the ds game was like 4 hours or something? the wii game had like 4 times the content.
I always liked to call it "the 16-yo girl simulator".
If you get the chance and like adventure games, I'd advice you to import it. The stuff they had you do with the wii remote was pretty crazy but amazing at the same time.
also dat cover art... way better than the boring ds one

Crimm

Dang it, now I'm going to have to import it. I actually beat Trace Memory the night we recorded (started it too). It was a 2 AM game, which is to say I determined I was going to stay up till I finished. The puzzles you mentioned, I figured out what I needed to do, but maybe it was the DSi XL but it wasn't super easy to see.

Too curious as to how that kind of thinking would be done with the Wii Remote to resist.

Top Bottom