• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

llehuty

Ahhhhh this episode had me in tears several times. I was giggling as soon as the intro wasn't going as expected
, once again.
It should be a feature of the podcast, next to the "A well-crafted *****, clearly made by professionals".

I'm still amazed by how grounded all the the episodes end up being despite the critical trainwreck points along it, I love it.

Also, I forgot how amazing is(was?) the dsi shop music.

Ondore

More Miitomo this week for your edificaiton.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42520/episode-471-blatterhouse
Episode 471 "Blatterhouse" said:
There is no escape from the Miitomo menace, but this week a renewed effort by the allies keeps evil in check. This allows for a more traditional (read: old) New Business. Guillaume leads off with his thoughts on the undeniably classic Yoshi's Story, now available on the long-forgotten N64 section of the Wii U Virtual Console. He follows up with a poke at WarioWare: Touched!, which is now available as a My Nintendo bonus. Jon gives us more thoughts on Miitomo, and a new mantra on life - "Stupid, not smart. Kids, take that to heart" - before updating us on his questionably-paced trek through Pokémon Yellow. Greg is trying to get himself ready for the impending release of Star Fox Zero by returning to the series' roots with Star Fox for the SNES (he's playing on original hardware, because that's the only way to play it officially). James closes out New Business with the most questionable of decisions: Project X Zone 2. Why did he buy a game he knows will make him crazy? Why is he playing it? Is he writing these questions in the hopes someone will save him from himself? Answers: No idea, No idea, Yes.

After an apology-worthy Now Playing segment it's time for Listener Mail. The Lords of Thunder were called for this week, but were apparently unable to answer their phones. Topics covered (slowly) include: future of emulation with console-specific hardware, RFN's in-jokes, should you sue Nintendo (yes), Zelda tech demos, and Nintendo's refusal to give us a proper Paper Mario game. You can send us your legal briefs via our inbox.

It's planning time for our next Retroactive, and this time we're turning our attention to Castlevania. We've somehow never featured a game in this legendary series, so it's time to solve this problem. We first need to select the candidates, so send us your suggested Castlevania games and we'll put out a poll in the next couple of weeks.

Time: 2:20:58
Outro: Title Theme - LORDS OF THUNDER
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Project X Zone 2: Sits unplayed after two months, and I don't even know if my launch DLC works.

Nbz

I would love for them to do Aria of Sorrow because it is next up in my personal playthrough of the SoTN style Castlevania games!

leroidys

Judgement would be pretty interesting if you guys could get some local mp going. Otherwise I'd love to see one of the 64 titles, though those are probably becoming hard to find.

The GBA and DS games are far and away my favorites, but they're so similar and so widely played, I don't know how interesting a retroactive on them would be TBH. Maybe Circle of the Moon.

Ok going to make a suggestion that may not be popular for Castlevania, Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate of the 3DS. I actually enjoyed it abit and while I'll agree it wasn't as good as the Igavanias it was still enjoyable as its own thing. I think a lot of peopl overlooked it and it would really be worth a critical look by the guys.

If not that then I really suggest Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth for another one no one ever thinks of and is really kind of good.

Weetrick

Every recent Now Playing makes it seem like playing games is causing Guillaume physical pain. Don't force it if you're not feeling it right now.

I think he should mix things up and play something that isn't an obtuse RPG or quirky Japanese game.

Or maybe he's just in a rut, which happens to me from time to time and I don't have a weekly podcast to prepare for and edit.

I hope he finds something that clicks with him soon!

GuillaumeNWR

Neo Member
Every recent Now Playing makes it seem like playing games is causing Guillaume physical pain. Don't force it if you're not feeling it right now.

Haha, I'm aware I haven't been super upbeat during Now Playing lately (and even more quiet than usual during the rest of the show).

Part of it is general tiredness lately. Part of it has been me not really turning to video games as much during my free time.

But it wasn't that long ago my mind was blown from Her Story, and Life is Strange before that. And I'm enjoying Etrian Odyssey Untold a heck of a lot, although I feel it's too soon to talk about it again (I'm not even halfway through, after dozens of hours).

I'm afraid I'll be whining about stuff that bothers me in the next NB, again. But I'll try to make it entertaining.

Ondore

You think this one's weird, wait until we get to Chompy Chomp Chomp Party.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42553/episode-472-epic-closet-octopus
Episode 472 "Epic Closet Octopus" said:
This week we're pleased to be joined by Lewis Pugh, developer of the upcoming Wii U eShop exclusive Twisted Fusion. We've had Lewis on the show once before, but we thought it would be nice to touch base with him to see how his game is coming along and talk about making games in general. But first, it's New Business. As the guest, Lewis leads off with thoughts on eShop title Super Robot Mouse, before talking about his experience with the so-old-it's-timely-again Bravely Default. Greg reports from the Land of the Big Ape, with Donkey Kong Country 2 on the New 3DS VC. We talk about the "pixel-perfect" mode, and why it works well with the strange resolutions of SNES-era games. Jon names our grunge-rock revival band, with eShop experience Epic Dumpster Bear. The realism is staggering. Guillaume finishes up the segment by thinking outside the box, with Thomas Was Alone.

After the break, Lewis answers our questions about developing games for the eShop, getting into game development, iterating on game concepts, running a Kickstarter, and more. We even spend a little time talking about tools you can play with if Super Mario Maker left you with a game design itch of your own. If you've got an itch you'd like us to scratch, you can give us a shout by using our inbox.

Lastly, it's time for the next RetroActive. Apropos of nothing more than James being enraptured by the door sound effect in Rondo of Blood's music, we decided to do a Castlevania-themed RetroActive. We tried to take your suggestions and build a list that is representative of the series as a whole. Your candidates are:

• Super Castlevania IV (1991/SNES)
  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (1993/PC Engine)
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003/GBA)
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008/DS)
  • Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (2009/WiiWare)

You can vote now. Voting runs through the end of the month.

Thanks to Lewis for joining us. You can see progress updates for Twisted Fusion on his website.

Time: 1'55"53
Outro: Gate (Animal Crossing Sweet Land) - Nintendo Land
Vote SCIV: For limp whip references

Order of Ecclesia and Aria of Sorrow are going to split the Metroidvania vote so bad. Aria is the fan favourite, of course, but Ecclesia is the better game in my opinion and the one that is most in need of a revisit.

Dracula X Chronicles has, I think, an emulated version of Rondo of Blood right on the UMD, so I'm set if that one wins. Would a DXC replay count as a RoB replay though? I really prefer the newer version.

Damn, I was really hoping you guys would be bold and try Castlevania Mirror of Fate on the 3DS just for something different and something that never gets talked about (good or bad) pulling for Rebirth on WiiWare though although I'm sure its got next to no hope :(

Damn, I was really hoping you guys would be bold and try Castlevania Mirror of Fate on the 3DS just for something different and something that never gets talked about (good or bad) pulling for Rebirth on WiiWare though although I'm sure its got next to no hope :(
I'd prefer Rebirth over IV, even if Classicvania isn't my favourite. I feel like IV has been played by most people, many more than ever gave Rebirth a chance.

Then again I mainline Maria in both RoB and DXC. Whips are my least favourite Castlevania weapon, so my opinion may be invalid.

llehuty

Ah, great that you got Lewis Pugh back in the podcast. I backed Twisted Fusion after listening on the podcast how passionate he was about it. Really curious about how he feels about it right now.

Ondore

Standard disclaimer applies: 3/4 of the hosts did not have Star Fox Zero at recording time.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42584/episode-473-the-woody-allen-star-fox
Episode 473 "The Woody Allen Star Fox" said:
Europe and North America inch (centimeter?) ever closer towards library parity this week, with two major releases for Nintendo platforms. James leads off with the first, Bravely Second: End Layer for 3DS. Europe got this game months ago, but finally anime is happening in America. James spent an unhealthy amount of time with the demo - in a single sitting - and has thoughts on its structure as well as the very specific challenges of making a direct sequel to a JRPG. Jon is on the hunt for the next Tub-Time Game of the Year candidate, with the Vita release of Axiom Verge. This Super Metroid-inspired indie game is coming soon to Wii U, which is a good thing (especially now that none of our panelists are on the take). Guillaume cruises through space in neon-colored side-scrolling shooter Star Ghost, apparently composed by David Wise on an off-day. He then explores the demo of Pocket Card Jockey, the latest game from the progenitors of Pokémon. Let's just say it puts the freak in Game Freak. Lastly, Greg wraps New Business with very early thoughts on Star Fox Zero. To say this game's path to market has been long would be a bit of an understatement, but it's here now! Get some early thoughts on the new game modes and the divisive use of motion controls.

After a medically prescribed break, it's time for Listener Mail. Topics covered this week include: port buying (with a foray into European home versions of arcade classics for Zilog Z-80-based systems), mortality and mating in Fire Emblem and the eternal conflict therein, and the impact of this half-step generation of consoles on the NX (none of which we know anything about officially). If you want us to turn your burning question into a dialog on the multinational disgrace US Gold we can help! Send us your question to our inbox.

A pair of housekeeping reminders. Voting ends very soon for our Castlevania RetroActive. Polling is very close, so vote now! As a reminder, your candidates are:

• Super Castlevania IV (1991/SNES)
  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (1993/PC Engine)
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003/GBA)
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008/DS)
  • Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (2009/WiiWare)

Lastly, James was on Radio Trivia last week. In a bit of role-reversal, he picked the games for normal host, and frequent RFN guest, Michael "TYP" Cole to guess. He also violated core tenants of what makes Radio Trivia what it is. Of course he did. Despite James' presence, you should give it a listen. Radio Trivia is a fun show that features a lot of great music.

Time: 2'11"01
Outro: Drakkhen - "Day in the Forest" (stick tap to Taramoor for suggesting it)
Downloads: MP3 / AAC
Business-Ass Business: Also apparently coming.
Cheap plug: NWR has started a Patreon.

Thanks for answering part of my question. However, you did not address the first question. Do you think the PS4.5 release will have a major negative impact on the NX release?

llehuty

He is back! He only needed a game about boxes with names and a horse racing card game.

No, but seriously, now I'm legit curious about that Game Freak game. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Crap, I should've gotten around to sending an email, as the talk about SNES games on N3DS and comparing to how they looked on TVs made me wonder about those component/S-Video/older system hookup to HDMI converters & if they've ever tried them.

Still debating on what Castlevania to vote for. Kind of wish they did one representing the best of the old school, then one that represents the newer "Metroidvania" style that the games went with after SotN.

Crimm

Thanks for answering part of my question. However, you did not address the first question. Do you think the PS4.5 release will have a major negative impact on the NX release?

Very sorry about that - as I joked in the show notes sometimes we lose the plot.

The short answer for me at least, the NX's success is totally dependent on what it has on offer. I don't anticipate any Nintendo console coming out and just lighting up the competing hardware offerings and, at least based on what we know for Neo, it sounds like Sony is adamant that this NOT be major step-up from the current PS4. From a PR standpoint, this is a totally logical situation. Exclusive Neo games would be messy branding and would be inexcusable from the standpoint of early adopters. And, if that's the case, vastly more powerful hardware would be a bit wasted.

Ultimately, Nintendo needs to make NX a strong offering on its own. In North America and Europe it's mostly going to be fighting to join established gaming consoles in people's entertainment center - so offering a unique product that has inarguable merits is the only path to success. In Japan, where current-gen adoption is much (much) lower, they may be fighting to be the first current-gen system in homes.

The interesting dichotomy here is their path to success is, at least in writing, diametrically opposed between Japan and the West. There are a handful of series that are vital to Japanese success - and they need to deny them Sony exclusivity. In the West, getting the mutiplatform titles is important, but more so, playing games on the NX should be materially better. With a higher concentration of current-gen deployed, they need to establish themselves as an attractive way to play. Ultimately, customers will buy for the platform they most want to use, and with that comes both mindshare points and (of course) license fees. And of course, their titles mater a great deal.

<RFN STANDARD ALERT ABOUT NOT KNOWING NX GOES HERE>

So, you know, the short answer.

llehuty

Ok, based Gui. The Pocket Card Jockey (demo) is really good.

I ended up going to bed at 3am yersterday finishing it, I'm hooked. The right amount of complex, and the game is not afraid of throwing you to "git gud" territorry early on, but teaching you at the same time what you should be doing to immprove. I also found the presentation and the writing really good.

CglYfDoUoAE5g7g.jpg

CglYfNTUgAAJ054.jpg

Is harmoknight this good? I never thought of Game Freak being able to doing something different than rehashing Pokemon to death, but this is a really nice surprise.

Crimm

I enjoyed HarmoKnight for what it is, even if there are better, more charming rhythm/other genre mash-ups (Rhythm Thief for example). Try out the demo, it's broadly reflective of the entire game - it just gets more complex as time goes on. It isn't nearly as "funny" as what I've seen of Pocket Card Jockey, although it isn't without levity, it just isn't nearly as sardonic as your example.

GameFreak does have some real chops to them, regardless how one feels about more recent, pachyderm-positioned, offerings. Drill Dozer is a really good (if now quite old) game. Pulseman, which we did on a long-distant, RetroActive is also quite good; although, it is very much a product of an era in some ways.

llehuty

I enjoyed HarmoKnight for what it is, even if there are better, more charming rhythm/other genre mash-ups (Rhythm Thief for example). Try out the demo, it's broadly reflective of the entire game - it just gets more complex as time goes on. It isn't nearly as "funny" as what I've seen of Pocket Card Jockey, although it isn't without levity, it just isn't nearly as sardonic as your example.

GameFreak does have some real chops to them, regardless how one feels about more recent, pachyderm-positioned, offerings. Drill Dozer is a really good (if now quite old) game. Pulseman, which we did on a long-distant, RetroActive is also quite good; although, it is very much a product of an era in some ways.
Ha, I was just about to jump on rhythm thief after the incredibly solid new nintendo humble bundle that we europeasant can enjoy this time around.

And yeah, I tried the demo harmoknight, but I just had the feeling that it was lacking a bit of depth?, I would probably make up my mind after some hours with Pocket Card Jockey.

I think I have a copy of drill dozer somewhere, but I never put much attention to it. And I feel like it's the first time I hear about Pulseman for some reason, but, after some research, it's not my kind of thing.

Thanks for the detailed answer, and OH BOY, really looking forward to the podcast after the first big NX and E3 news (that just brought more speculation to the equation).

Ondore

Did someone say they needed a doctor? Because we got one.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42625/episode-474-the-day-the-music-was-abandoned
Episode 474 "The Day The Music Was Abandoned" said:
Nintendo had their annual investors' briefing this week, and with it came a run of news that dramatically reset expectations for the next year. No NX at E3. Nothing but Zelda at E3. No Zelda (or NX) until March 2017. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing going mobile. Corporate oversight is tweaked. It would be easy to compare this to the infamous past episode The Day the Music Died, and we did. However, not all of our dedicated hosts were nearly so dedicated as to do their duty in the face of such harrowing news. Greg skipped off to watch the NFL Draft (an annual holiday in England). Meanwhile, Jon rededicated himself to the pursuit of fraternity. James and Gui were forced to let former host Jonny Metts back in the house, putting aside long-simmering feelings of betrayal in order to best deliver you the insight you expect from this show. The entire first segment tries to make sense of all the news, candy-coating everything with some positive conversation on Nintendo's latest Humble Bundle.

The news really turned the show on its head this week, because after the break is New Business. Jonny finally gets to talk Xenoblade Chronicles X with James and Gui. Sadly, it sounds like he intends to give up the game before saving humanity; it's an incredibly selfish attitude to take. He then offers some suggestions for what his former colleagues should be playing. Guillaume flies solo with his thoughts on Star Fox Zero. He's had more time to find his inner fox than Greg had last week, so his positive impressions are based on a larger cross-section of the game. James is still on Bravely Second, but even 30+ hours in he's still not sure why anyone would want to make a direct sequel to a JRPG. He also misses Ringabell. Who wouldn't?

It's time for our Castlevania RetroActive. The voting has closed, and the RFN listeners have sided with team Little Girl: our next game is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. You can get it on the Wii Virtual Console. We will be doing our RetroActive segment sometime before E3. The comment thread is now open.

Have a question, suggestion, feedback, end music suggestion, or press release about nonsense we'd never care about? You can send it directly to our inbox. We've already received quite a bit of email about the news of the last week, but we're always looking for different perspectives, so get on sending it our way!

Time: 2'20"18
Outro: Star Fox Zero - "Return to Corneria"
Jonny: Has added a new gaming show to his schedule with some local friends

Negator

I'm going to go back and listen to the epsiode where James is talking about LBX. I just want to confirm if the game is half as batshit insane as the anime is.

So Jonny's idea for Fire Emblem mobile is fucking disgusting. I missed him and it's nice to have him back for an episode but holy shit.

So a guy gets killed by a crit and you can pay a dollar to revive him. Well how about we increase the crit rates from the older games juuuuuuust a bit and see what that does to revenue. Oooooor, since the "percentages" we show the player aren't true percentages anyway, maybe we'll just increase that crit rate a little more behind the scenes.

NO, NO, NO, NO, FUCK NO.

Please for the love of all that is holy don't desecrate my favorite franchise with the toxic bullshit that has made 99.9% of mobile gaming a wasteland of shallow experiences and exploitative fuckery. Just no.

I would argue that critical hits plus permanent death were always exploitative in Fire Emblem. As I said on the show, there would be at least one or two ways (including Casual mode) to play the game without ever using that kind of feature. I doubt they'll go this route, but it's not necessarily exploitative. You're just taking it down a slippery slope established by a lot of shitty companies who aren't Nintendo.

llehuty

Yeah the idea is solid, IMO. It would depend of how it gets to be implemented. People should get their mind ready for Nintendo's mobile games being build around making money from now on. We will have to wait and see how are they going to approach it.

Weetrick

Just started listening to the new episode and oh my god the opening music. I think this is going to be one to remember, haha!

Somnid

The Fire Emblem thing makes so much sense. If you fuck up you either get to pay the revival tax, move on, or reset. Jonny's right though, as long as the values are roughly on par with the other games, I wouldn't call it exploitive aside from pumping perfectionists (which is basically the foundation of all F2P). The alternative (and unfortunately morely likely) is rare item and character gatchas.

Cindro

"What? Greg isn't around to provide his delicious dulcet tones to morph the horrible Nintendo news that would be coming out of his mouth into a sweet aural dessert? Preposterous!

But wait... they got Jonny as a replacement???
"

tumblr_m9i0yaYZcl1re5o97o1_r1_500.gif

EDIT: Just got to the part where James says it's insane that Yo-Kai Watch wasn't at E3 last year, which is funny, because the E3 presentation is what convinced me to buy it :p From what I recall, there were two sizable Treehouse Live segments devoted to it.

I'm still surprised James liked that game as much as he did, too. Warms my heart of course, as YW is awesome (and the anime, which is now on Netflix, is inexplicably even better than the game.)

Weetrick

Loved hearing Jonny rip into Xenoblade. I didn't get nearly as far as him before I gave up. Unfortunately, nothing about the game clicked for me. I think it's ugly as sin, specifically the character art and user interface/menus. The way the game explains its mechanics and presents information is obnoxious. The story didn't grab me. Like Jonny, I never seemed to know where to grind. All these things led me to give up.

I always feel bad when I quit a big game like this so early, but this episode made me feel better. I really wanted to experience the Skells but I don't have it in me to get that far. The game isn't for me and I suppose there's nothing wrong with realizing that and moving on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jonny's opinion about why it was hard to continue the game is the same reason why I've been having trouble starting that & other games that're time-sinks. I got the LE, but it's hard to sit down & find the time where I can put a good amount of hours to get a good first impression instead of just 30 minutes to an hour where I feel like not much was accomplished. I want to feel like my time meant something, so hearing you can't quickly clear a mission or two within a half hour or so kind of reinforces why I have trouble finding the time to play larger games like Xenoblade X & go more for portability or titles where I can easily see "oh, I did a few missions/had a sense of progression/getting something done".

It's the same reason why I have trouble getting into console RPGs nowadays and have games like Yakuza 4, a bunch of Tales of... titles on my PS3, some SMT PS2 titles I downloaded from PSN, etc. in my backlog that I want to start, but have a feeling I would get distracted/stop playing not long after I started them.

It doesn't help I keep remembering "oh right, you don't get the Skells right away, it takes a long time, & they don't even fly yet".

I would argue that critical hits plus permanent death were always exploitative in Fire Emblem. As I said on the show, there would be at least one or two ways (including Casual mode) to play the game without ever using that kind of feature. I doubt they'll go this route, but it's not necessarily exploitative. You're just taking it down a slippery slope established by a lot of shitty companies who aren't Nintendo.
What exactly is being exploited by the developer in those instances? At worst it's more time spent with a game you already paid for which is far less offensive to me than more money. Beyond that, we know that IS has our money already so the game balance (including crits) is designed for optimal enjoyment of the player; at that point they have no other incentive.

I know this is an old school way of thinking now but my preferred way of purchasing and playing games is to pay a fee up front and not be bothered to pay from that point on. If you want to sell meaningful DLC off to the side that's fine but please don't constantly barrage me with ways to spend an extra $0.99. There is nothing relaxing or rewarding about that, it's only irritating.

At the end of the day FE is a series I hold very dear so it would pain me greatly to see an entry full of microtransactions and other obnoxious tenants of mobile games. I understand that it might happen anyway, but I won't be happy about it. I think you'd probably feel the same if it was a series you treasured.

My hope is that FE mobile is so different from core FE that I have no problem ignoring it. I'm not against Nintendo making money and trying their hand at disgusting other business models, I'd just prefer if they stayed separate from the core experiences I value.

TDLink

It's weird but Xenoblade X to me felt at its best when when you were just on foot without a skell. The world has such a great scale and it's fun to run fast and figure out creative ways to space jump around the environment. And actually getting the skell is a carrot on a stick you really want.

As soon as you get a skell it feels great, you can go basically anywhere...except that world suddenly doesn't feel large in quite the same way and exploration doesn't seem as big a deal since your skell can just jump over/up most areas that previously gave you a problem on foot. It also lets you cheese through areas with heavy enemy density that you were otherwise meant to find a way around or sneak through. Having that skell is everything you want...until it isn't. But there is always that upgrade to keep you going...

Getting the flying ability is a similar sort of situation. As soon as you step out of that hangar and can fly around it's a blast. You can finally go anywhere and do anything! But at that point I had already seen essentially everywhere except for the areas impossible to get to without flight, which are actually kind of few in the first 4 regions. And Cauldros ended up the weakest of the 5 anyways. With the carrot of a skell or flying now gone it feels like a big motivator has also disappeared. At this point I just powered through the last few story chapters.

It's weird, what I always wanted was the Skell/To Fly around. But those first 30 or whatever hours where I was just on foot running around like Sonic the Hedgehog were probably the most interesting and fun hours I had with the game. The world just seems so much cooler, vast, and intricate at that point. Maybe it's also because by time you get the Flying Skell you realize the story is a complete bust.

OMG Aero

I play a mobile game called Terra Battle (it's by the same people that made The Last Story) and the way that games handles monetisation could easily be adapted to Fire Emblem.
In Terra Battle the two main ways of getting new characters is by spending coins (which you only get in game by clearing levels or from daily log-in bonuses) to do a lottery draw which gives you monsters or nameless characters like a generic knight or wizard, or you can spend energy (which you get the first time you clear a chapter, rarely from log-in bonuses, or by spending real money) to play a better lottery that gives you better characters which are named, have back stories, and can advance to new classes.

Fire Emblem Mobile could do a similar thing where if you spend in-game currency you get the the generic versions of classes that you fight against, but if you spend the premium currency you get named characters from past games like Marth, Lucina, etc.

I play a mobile game called Terra Battle (it's by the same people that made The Last Story) and the way that games handles monetisation could easily be adapted to Fire Emblem.
In Terra Battle the two main ways of getting new characters is by spending coins (which you only get in game by clearing levels or from daily log-in bonuses) to do a lottery draw which gives you monsters or nameless characters like a generic knight or wizard, or you can spend energy (which you get the first time you clear a chapter, rarely from log-in bonuses, or by spending real money) to play a better lottery that gives you better characters which are named, have back stories, and can advance to new classes.

Fire Emblem Mobile could do a similar thing where if you spend in-game currency you get the the generic versions of classes that you fight against, but if you spend the premium currency you get named characters from past games like Marth, Lucina, etc.
Marth will probably be free because he's the most iconic FE character. Lucina may be paid though.

After a bit of a hiccup, I finally got started on Rondo of Blood. Here are some thoughts.

Firstly, it might be because I'm playing on what might be a launch day PSP, but the colour scheme is just atrocious in dark areas. Having to deal with bats when they're essentially invisible is more than a little frustrating.

Moving on to the gameplay, I have to say that I much prefer Maria over Richter. He's powerful and all, but he moves like a tank and his defences aren't enough to make up for the fact that he's super hard to dodge with. You have to play so carefully with him, it makes the game a slog for me. Maybe it's because my first Castlevania was Dawn of Sorrow, but I have gotten used to my CV protagonists being quick and agile and, more importantly, armed with something more effective than a whip.

Once I unlocked Maria, I ditched him and never looked back.

Maria, in contrast to her slow rescuer, is sheer joy in a pink dress. She moves quick, can power slide out of danger and her doves can be juggled without losing momentum so that you always have a projectile in front of you at all times, even while moving. With proper timing, you can blitz through levels like a cute little whirlwind of death. Yes, she has a glass jaw and has knockback like Wile E Coyote, but if you get good at using her, it is always possible to avoid getting hit entirely.

She's still oddly clunky at times though, like there's something a little off with her physics. I'm not sure if it's a how the game handles momentum, but if you aren't going at a full run when you hit the button, she jumps and lands a few centimetres in front of where you started. This is fine, but it makes it really hard to control where you land, making platforming sections a real pain. Also, forget about dodging an aerial enemy while on a one-block wide platform by jumping away, killing it, turning mid-air and landing back where you started. Mario physics has primed my brain to expect to be able to do it, so it takes a while to unlearn this behaviour.

If you drop from one level to a lower one, you pause for a second or two, and that can kill you if you land in the wrong place. I still haven't got the feel for when it will happen, so it's caught me by surprise at times.

The other thing that struck me is just how familiar a lot of the locations and enemies feel. I have to assume that the ubiquitous skeleton sprite you find in every IGAvania and recurring enemies like the Skeleton Ape, Axe Armour, Poltergeist, Minotaur, Flea Man, White Dragon and Medusa Head all got their start here. It's a little bizarre, to be honest, like I'm playing a romhack of SotN with more primitive physics. See,I played through a fair chunk of Chronicles X before unlocking Rondo of Blood, so it felt like its own thing until I booted up the original game for the Retroactive.

The branching paths are a great feature, sort of foreshadowing what Order of Ecclesia did years later, though the fact that the level select feature is hidden behind a menu and not just the default once you clear a level is a bit strange to me. If I know there is more than one exit to a level, I want to try again immediately so I can find it. Maybe it's meant to assist with the flow of the game, but I find it unhelpful, especially since it doesn't reset your lives counter. All that means is that when I inevitably die learning the boss patterns, I will get a game over screen that will give me the option to restart the level with the proper number of lives anyway. I might as well just save and quit every time I beat a level so I have the default number of tries - it has the same effect.

It's a fun game, if a little obtuse when it comes to hiding its secrets. I stumbled across Maria in Chronicles X, but might never have done so had I (say) missed the exact lamp with the key in it. Given that she plays so differently to Richter, I might have walked away with a very different view of the game. Maybe some indication that there is a secret like this on the level select screen would be nice. It already tells you about branching paths, so that doesn't feel like much of a stretch.

That's all I have to say for now. So far it looks and feels so familiar, but then it throws up a weird throwback to the CV games of the past and throws me for a loop.

Ondore

Welcome to the show, please come inside.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42654/episode-475-super-dimensional-fortress-great-fox
Episode 475 "Super Dimensional Fortress Great Fox" said:
After a somber episode last week, the full RFN cast digs deep and finds a way to reunite to get the show back on the road. The Spirit of Unity pervades New Business, which Jon starts with Free-to-Play Wii U game Lost Reavers. Where else but on Radio Free Nintendo will discussion of a generic loot shooter turn into a deep philosophical exploration of mankind's unending urge to consume? James tries yet again to give a good report on Bravely Second; he likes it, honest. He and Greg then attempt to double-team impressions of Star Fox Zero, and this combined effort shatters the show's harmony. Greg is a fan of the indefensible walkers, the crippling over-reliance on All Range Mode, and an unrelenting series of baffling gameplay decisions. James, to say the least, isn't. He also writes this article, and as such casts the final verdict. Guillaume tries to bring the show back together with thoughts on "free" eShop titles My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge. He worries about his Picross chops and, unless Jon is willing to share his expansive amiibo collection, that he'll never see all of the Challenge.

After the break it's time for Listener Mail. We feature an assortment of your reactions to the NX news, Nintendo's E3 plans, Zelda's delay, and all the recent news, such as future President Trump's plan to rid the United States of the Lindemann Menace. You can send your insights on the currents roiling the politics of both US and the EU to our inbox.

Our Castlevania: Rondo of Blood RetroActive is a few weeks away. Get started playing, and you can leave your thoughts in the RetroActive talkback thread.

Time: 2'10"18
Outro: Secret of Mana - "The Color of the Summer Sky"
Coming soon to an eShop near you: Animal Crossing Amiibo Challenge, because those things won't move any other way. (Sad!)

Just got to Level 7 - the
Clock Tower
. Death repeatedly kicked me in the ass for a few days, but beating him only led to a damned boss rush before you fight Shaft.

I hate boss rushes at the best of times. They're never great, even when you gain powers throughout the game that change the way you might approach early game bosses or the bosses are remixed in some way, but when it's straight-up back to back retreads of earlier fights you barely made it out of alive, it's unforgivable. At least in this case if you manage to beat the four bosses but die on Shaft, you get to just launch into Shaft at full health when you respawn. He was surprisingly easy though, especially compared with that damned mummy, so I can take a guess that this why the boss rush is there at all.

Level 7 is also balls to the wall difficult, even more so than the level with the secret path that leads to Carmilla. You can cheese the collapsing bridge at the beginning by powersliding ahead of the bats, though it doesn't feel that good to do so. Those knights made me really dependent on Maria's backdash ability in a way I wasn't before, but the PSP's d-pad just isn't very good and it's mapped to a diagonal. I found myself failing this manoeuvre at inopportune times. I really miss having this mapped to the L & R shoulder buttons like on later games.

Managed to get to Ghost Shaft before I died, but didn't get to fight him long enough to learn his pattern. I'll try again tomorrow.

Also, does anyone hear a chorus of doo-wop girls singing "Shaft!" in their heads whenever he's on screen? I'm sure it isn't an intentional reference to either the 70s blaxploitation films or the 00s reimagining with Samuel L Jackson, but it tickles me nonetheless. He even looks a little like Samuel L Jackson, though the voice is too deep. I would love to hear a 70s funk remix of his theme.

I'm kind of sad you guys moved on like mentally healthy people and didn't continue the whole day the music was abandoned thing. It was such a series of crummy moves by Nintendo that I needed more than one week of catharsis.

I've been playing Dracula X Chronicles PSP on Vita, which is (imho) the best version of the game.

I might not be good enough to finish this without a lot of time to really nail the level patterns. It's awesome though.

I'm kind of sad you guys moved on like mentally healthy people and didn't continue the whole day the music was abandoned thing. It was such a series of crummy moves by Nintendo that I needed more than one week of catharsis.

I've been playing Dracula X Chronicles PSP on Vita, which is (imho) the best version of the game.

I might not be good enough to finish this without a lot of time to really nail the level patterns. It's awesome though.
What is there to say really that hasn't already been said? The Wii U is a failed product, end of story. If they dwelled, the show would have turned into four despondent guys crying at the wailing wall.

Since I didn't get back into gaming until around 2006/2007, I missed the last winter of our discontent - Gamecube 2005. At least this time around there's a bigger library (including eShop stuff) to delve into.

At the end of the day, I understand why they aren't doing E3. They've decided the Wii U isn't worth saving. Better to save those marbles for the NX. Maybe it'll get some surprise release toward the end of the year, but it won't be anything exciting.

What is there to say really that hasn't already been said? The Wii U is a failed product, end of story. If they dwelled, the show would have turned into four despondent guys crying at the wailing wall.

That. That's what I wanted.

Since I didn't get back into gaming until around 2006/2007, I missed the last winter of our discontent - Gamecube 2005. At least this time around there's a bigger library (including eShop stuff) to delve into.

That's exactly why I care - with all that stuff, I've played my Wii U more than anything since the Dreamcast.

At the end of the day, I understand why they aren't doing E3. They've decided the Wii U isn't worth saving. Better to save those marbles for the NX. Maybe it'll get some surprise release toward the end of the year, but it won't be anything exciting.

The thing is, their consumer confidence in the hardcore community has totally eroded. They're not in a position to be this ridiculous right now. Like, not even playable 3DS kiosks at E3? Companies like EA or Activision can skip out on E3, they just make the same game every year and they don't really have a cohesive corporate brand loyalty to maintain. But a platform holder who desperately needs to keep people invested can't just throw their hands up and say "you know what, whatever. Go play PS4 for a year. We know you'll be back because we own you." Because a lot of people won't.

Like, I just told you I was one of the few who has loved the heck out of the Wii U, but I'm 30/70 on coming back for another round. I just don't have a ton of faith that they're willing to do what it takes to compete - on account of they continually keep not doing it.

I get that, but what would you have them do that isn't completely weak sauce? If the marketing plan for NX depends on a big reveal around (say) October, showcasing a bunch of indie titles or VC announcements wasn't going to cut it against what Sony and MS were doing. I suppose the logic here is to have some bad press for skipping E3 than to have the memory of a bad conference hang around in the collective ether. I still remember the meltdowns over E3 '08.

The decision not to focus on 3DS instead was puzzling though, I admit. The 3DS is having a good year, titles wise.

I can only imagine the kind of discussion happening internally. Maybe a disaster happened behind closed doors (software way behind schedule /tea tables upended / supplier issues / network problems etc). Oh to be a fly on that wall.

I also have to wonder whether this might be partially based on how important they think E3 is anymore or the reach it has. Maybe they think it has withered on the vine. Maybe they think that its importance is moot in the age of the Internet. Maybe they're just afraid anything they have to say will be overshadowed by Sony and MS and are sick of being shackled to their biggest competition. It might be that this is a permanent state of affairs going forward and they thought they would take the hit now while the damage caused can be kept to a minimum.

I get that, but what would you have them do that isn't completely weak sauce? If the marketing plan for NX depends on a big reveal around (say) October, showcasing a bunch of indie titles or VC announcements wasn't going to cut it against what Sony and MS were doing. I suppose the logic here is to have some bad press for skipping E3 than to have the memory of a bad conference hang around in the collective ether. I still remember the meltdowns over E3 '08.

The decision not to focus on 3DS instead was puzzling though, I admit. The 3DS is having a good year, titles wise.

I can only imagine the kind of discussion happening internally. Maybe a disaster happened behind closed doors (software way behind schedule /tea tables upended / supplier issues / network problems etc). Oh to be a fly on that wall.

I also have to wonder whether this might be partially based on how important they think E3 is anymore or the reach it has. Maybe they think it has withered on the vine. Maybe they think that its importance is moot in the age of the Internet. Maybe they're just afraid anything they have to say will be overshadowed by Sony and MS and are sick of being shackled to their biggest competition. It might be that this is a permanent state of affairs going forward and they thought they would take the hit now while the damage caused can be kept to a minimum.

I'm sure they feel that with their Directs they can have all the attention they want, pick their spot on their own schedule, and not have to risk getting drowned out by a bunch of other companies' announcements.

The problem is, that what they got was a week or two of message boards going berserk and every gaming podcast talking about how bad they were messing up. Maybe they thought there was no chance to do things differently so they just managed expectations and got everything out of the way as far in advance of NX as they could, but none of that means they didn't mess up.

Crimm

That. That's what I wanted.

It's a fair question. I think we had room to be more bombastic than we were, and I'm okay with that. To be clear, this is disappointing. The silence is deafening right now, even if its justifiable by internal forces that are hidden from us.

At the same time, we all had some time to digest the news, which helped remove some of the bile. We weren't reacting emotionally anymore, and it was more analytical. I think some of it is resignation, which is depressing and I think we desired to move beyond that feeling. Last week's email reaction is something we don't normally do - we tend to go after questions rather than comments. However, the inbox showed our listeners had a lot to say; and we only got through about half of the emails I wanted to include.

Some of how depressing this is for me, and my desire to not cover it directly, it is pure selfishness: at this point I need to come up with content for a weekly podcast for the next 10 months. It's not like this impacts anyone but me, but I'm legit worried about what to do with the show.

Top Bottom