• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Oh my God, The Numbers.

giphy.gif

That GIF may get a lot of mileage from me tonight.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Only track that didn't really do much for me on first listen was Glass Eyes, rest slayed

edit: hah, Tinker Tailor... is straight up Kid A

Despera

Banned
I'm crying at Identikit. I remember seeing Radiohead for the first time ever at Coachella 2012 and when they played this I was fucking hooked from the first second of it, and I'm so fucking happy that it's on an album

Holy shit what a tune
I can't wait to hear the breakdown in it's full glory

Brehs it took these dudes 9 years but they made a worthy follow-up to In Rainbows

and it'll never be on Spotify, either one of these albums

The album has so much fucking emotional wait.

HELLLUVA closer in true love waits aside, u can tell the band has been through some kind of loss/emotional struggle.
Nigel said on twitter just now that he lost his dad during this album so this is very personal to him. And of course Thom separated from his partner of 20 years. :(

dmshaposv

Only track that didn't really do much for me on first listen was Glass Eyes, rest slayed

edit: hah, Tinker Tailor... is straight up Kid A

Desert island disk was the weakest song for me.

Only in my first listen thru.

What a fucking album tho. Pitchfork will jizz all over this as they usually do with radiohead stuff.

First listen impressions:

They've really taken to the ambient sound that they developed on a few songs on the last two LPs--Codex, Give Up the Ghost, Nude, Reckoner. This album is chock full of these types of songs, and I love it.

The instrumentation is spectacular. Very personal. Acoustic guitars (sometimes sounding Spanish), pianos, gently synths--these are all on display, and on some songs it's actually difficult to tell which is which. I also noticed some interesting grooves and patterns in the drum and bass--the rhythm section was rock solid.

As a fan of ambient music, this album hits all the rights notes for me. Clear Eno/Glass influence on the overall album impression.

This is one of their best albums, bar none. I don't know where I'll be ranking it but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes the top 3.

[Also, I played the album without knowing any of the tracks beforehand (didn't look at the tracklist), so when THAT song hit, fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

9.5/10 album. Could go higher on repeat listens.

Linius

Going trough my first listen now, loving what I'm hearing so far. Too bad I don't have the money for the special edition LP now, that package looks lovely.

The Numbers gave me my first legit jaw-dropping Radiohead moment since 1997.

I loved every track apart from True Love Waits. Vocals were perfect but I kinda hate the pianos. Thom why did you do this to True Love Waits :(

Now to listen to it all again 400 times.

dmshaposv

Nigel said on twitter just now that he lost his dad during this album so this is very personal to him. And of course Thom separated from his partner of 20 years. :(

Got damn.

That explains why they finally felt THE EARNED use of true love waits. Its such a gut punch of a ballad that they needed the raw emotion to perform it.

I legit was in tears. Fuck me if this is their last album. 😭

dmshaposv

If youve been a radiohead for the last 23 years, you ll find something here that you will love.

Guitar/bends radiohead
Kid a radiohead
Avant garde radiohead
String heavy beatles influenced radiohead
Love ballad emotional radiohead

Its all fucking here.

Randdalf

The Numbers
Kreygasm.png

I'll be honest, on my initial listen it feels like they went a bit overboard with some of the effects esp. the echoing on Present Tense, but time for number two.

Just listened to it while I was sitting on my back porch with some good headphones.

Upon first listen, this album is utterly brilliant and one of their best. There are some incredible, incredible songs on here such as The Numbers, Ful Stop, Glass Eyes. The studio version of True Love Waits seriously made me cry. It just punched me and has an emotional resonance due to some things I won't get into. But it was etheral. As was The Numbers. After the climax of the song I felt like a weight was lifted off of me or something.

But what I admire most about those songs is how they mix with the others. This is essentially prime Radiohead without BS backed by an orchestra and a mesmerizing wall of textures and mood pieces. Musically it's like nothing I've ever heard before.

Can't wait to get home tonight and give it another listen.

Also, once I get back, I'm gonna catalogue my favorite moments from the album just so I have it somewhere.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Id love if they did an orchestral performance of this album, would be unbelievable

The Numbers/Silent Spring. Absolutely legendary. Such a powerful song up there with the all time greats like Karma Police and How to Disappear Completely.

This is like a fucking Beatles song.

Cool, probably going to download the 24-bit version.

For those in the know, is there anything more complicated with converting 24-bit WAV to MP3 vs 16-bit or do conversion programs do that automatically just fine?

Top Bottom