• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

bsp

Feel like this has the potential to become a lot of people's favorite RH album after we can digest it some more. In my top 3 right now for sure. 31 years in and still releasing some of their best.

1. IR
2. OKC
3. AMSP

Just finished my first listen. Really beautiful album that reminded me a lot of Jonny's soundtrack work and I wonder if he really drove this record.

dmshaposv

Just finished my first listen. Really beautiful album that reminded me a lot of Jonny's soundtrack work and I wonder if he really drove this record.

Absolutely.

The soundscape in this album felt more influenced by jonny orchestral work from his previous OSTs, than thom's electronic albums and solo/side projects.

I feel he had a stronger say in this album than thom, especially after TKOL.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Finished listening to the album.

DyktNva.gif

Expectations blown completely out of the water, this album more than makes up for TKOL. Definitely in my top three favorite Radiohead albums, the whole thing is hauntingly somber, I love it.

Definitely feels like a final album, like an Abbey Road polishing and distilling all their sounds into one LP before they got off the stage.

AgeEighty

Cool, probably going to download the 24-bit version.

For those in the know, is there anything more complicated with converting 24-bit WAV to MP3 vs 16-bit or do conversion programs do that automatically just fine?

They will do it automatically, but why convert a 24-bit lossless file down to MP3? Do you have a device that doesn't play lossless files?

Hadn't heard a single song from this album before it was released. The single Burn the Witch didn't do much for me on first listen, but it clicked immediately on second listen. Several other album tracks did impress me a lot.

I'm giving it a few more listens, but I definitely think the album is at least 4 out of 5 stars so far. I think it will grow.

Absolutely.

The soundscape in this album felt more influenced by jonny orchestral work from his previous OSTs, than thom's electronic albums and solo/side project.

Yeah I agree. I really thought it was cool that the band was into electronic music/dubstep on TKOL (i.e. Burial/FLYLO, not Skrillex, etc), but Moon Shaped Pool is a better fit for them as a band, and still an incredibly unique album on its own.

Nemme

So did you download it first before putting it in offline?

Found and added the album on the spotify desktop app. Went on my phone and only saw two tracks. Flipped the 'offline possible' switch (or whatever it's called, mine version is in Dutch) anyways and to my suprise it started downloading more tracks.

Blader

Finally out of my Mother's Day obligations :lol

Which version do I buy?! Is 24-bit wav compatible with itunes? Will I hear any difference over my phone between mp3 16 bit and 24 bit?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
lol out of nowhere we have a contender for best Radiohead album, what a day. I'm listening to some tracks for the second time now and this is some incredible stuff. Ful Stop, The Numbers, Identikit, Present Tense, TLW, everything.

They will do it automatically, but why convert a 24-bit lossless file down to MP3? Do you have a device that doesn't play lossless files?

Thanks! Wasn't sure if there's anything more involved in the bit conversion before the actual compression.

As for quality, it's more for space limited options. I like to keep my entire music library on my phone on a MicroSD and on a flash drive for my car, while having lossless available at home.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I am so utterly blown away. I expected it to be better than KOL but man, this is sooooooo good. Way better than I expected. Radiohead needs to be around forever.

SD-Ness

Altogether this a very chill, disciplined album. Radiohead's chamber music quintet. Love it.

I hope it's not their last. I don't see why it would be necessary. They already have side projects. Nothing wrong with a RH album every 5+ years.

That said, I would love them to put out another rock album like OKC.

Absolutely.

The soundscape in this album felt more influenced by jonny orchestral work from his previous OSTs, than thom's electronic albums and solo/side projects.

I think people underestimate Jonny's input into the electronic stuff. The dude wrote and programmed the sampling software used to pretty much piece TKOL together. But yeah his input is definitely more readily apparent here with all the orchestration.

Yeah you people can download the album and put it in an offline spotify playlist so it syncs with all your devices. Pretty easy.

First listen of the album: holy. Shit. In Rainbows-tier

Nerrel

I think this is unarguably the most beautiful album they've ever done on the face of it. The sounds they've found are incredible, and it's almost a full album of orchestrated songs (with choirs!).

I was a little bummed out that Silent Spring wasn't listed,
really happy when it busted into The Numbers. Really strong Neil Young/Harvest vibes.
Still disappointed Skirting on the Surface didn't make it, but maybe it'll be on disc 2.

Ful Stop sounds like a band rehearsing in the apartment next to you while the apartment on the other side is blasting Select Ambient Works vol II. They nailed it, and I've never heard Thom sing the way he does there.

Desert Island Disk was the only weak point for me... I thought it was one of the less interesting songs live, but I had a feeling it would make it since it seemed to be so directly connected to Thom's mindstate after his divorce. Swap it out with Skirting on the Surface and I'd be perfectly happy.

They kind of gave True Love Awaits the Videotape treatment, stripping it down and making it a little darker. Not sure about it yet.

My first impression is that it's an amazing album. I don't want to have to go there, but yeah... King of Limbs doesn't hold up well next to this.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
omg Decks Dark. This is exactly the type of Radiohead I love

i'm only this far in, just purchased, but fuck me that's a stellar first 3.... cmon album please rock this hard the whole way.

Muitnorts

This is such a great album.
I was about to list my highlights but realised that it's a little pointless when my list had almost the whole album on it.

I don't dislike The King of Limbs but this is leagues better. After a few listens I'm expecting it to be among my favourites.
It's seriously beautiful at times.

RDreamer

Yeah I agree. I really thought it was cool that the band was into electronic music/dubstep on TKOL (i.e. Burial/FLYLO, not Skrillex, etc), but Moon Shaped Pool is a better fit for them as a band, and still an incredibly unique album on its own.

TKOL could have been great, I think, if it had a bit more time. The fact that they released a few other excellent songs after its release kinda says something to me. The album with slight tweaks to some of the weaker songs and the addition of those other tracks would have been awesome, honestly.

As far as I understand it a lot of songs on here are really old tracks that have been floating around for a while so we're hearing sometimes a decade of tweaks to these songs whereas I don't think TKOL was like that at all.

Top Bottom