• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Derrick01

Banned
Well destructoid and joystiq are known for being extremely shitty and stupid sometimes. Good or bad I will be ignoring their reviews for just about everything.

Vire

garath said:
There's a lot of hush hush negative twittering going around Destructoid, gamasutra and joystiq. I expect their reviews to be lower than the average. Unfortunately for them I can't even remember the last time I've visted their sites for a gaming review. I'll look for Eurogamer and EDGE reviews tomorrow. Their reviews are generally in line with my own feelings.
Any links to the other tweets please? Just curious.

Derrick01 said:
Well destructoid and joystiq are known for being extremely shitty and stupid sometimes. Good or bad I will be ignoring their reviews for just about everything.
Hmm, I don't think that's necessarily fair. I think Joystiq is a pretty good site...

Just because they might not like the game you are anticipating doesn't mean that you should write them off.

Derrick01 said:

Pretty much. Eurogamer are begining to head down that path too, for me.

Gvaz

Banned
Auto detect only and no forced settings?

I don't care about your quality standards, mine are my own stupid game.

IDC if I get low fps if it means I get great textures or AA or whatever. That's not for the game to decide. That makes more sense for console games where they're working with old hardware and want to eek out the best fps, not high end systems.

54-46!

You guys really don't think you'll be able to Lego it up? in a id game? come on.. who ever used the menus in their past titles anyway.

Well i guess no one can deny at this point that the game's setting DOES remind you HEAVILY of Borderlands...

what interests me more is the actual gameplay/story...

Derrick01

Banned
Vire said:
Hmm, I don't think that's necessarily fair. I think Joystiq is a pretty good site...

Just because they might not like the game you are anticipating doesn't mean that you should write them off.

I write them off because they're a shitty site who can't even grasp basic gaming features, they're routinely trolling things they don't understand (mainly on the PC side of course), and they try to pander to the same dumb crowd Kotaku and IGN do despite not being as big as them. They're not worth defending.

Drazgul

dark10x said:
*IF* that actually works as advertised, I think it is an incredible feature that should become more common in PC games.

But it's still stupid if players don't have the choice to adjust the settings if they want to.

kamspy

Gvaz said:

IDC if I get low fps if it means I get great textures or AA or whatever. That's not for the game to decide. That makes more sense for console games where they're working with old hardware and want to eek out the best fps, not high end systems.

I guess you invented side scrolling on PC and first person shooters right?

Gvaz

Banned
Vire said:
Oh boy...

From the other thread.

Gamasutra's UK Editor:

captureb7gv.png
Lol Dominic White always asks the best questions. Sometimes. He's actually a bit of a moron at times.

kamspy said:
I guess you invented side scrolling on PC and first person shooters right?
Yes because of course your previous achievements justify your current actions. smfh

54-46!

WrikaWrek said:
Don't wanna be an asshole but....when I saw some of the recent videos, the game did kinda look like Borderlands.
We know it looks like Borderlands.. but you don't go in to the Battlefield thread posting a comment about how it looks like Call of Duty do you?

garath

Vire said:
Any links to the other tweets please? Just curious.

http://twitter.com/#!/jimsterling
http://twitter.com/#!/chrisgrant

There's a few Rage related tweets in there.

This was my favorite comment from Jim Sterling

Dear PC devs: When porting to console, remember -- it's a pain in the ass to manually save and we're used to checkpoints on consoles. Cunts.

smh.

(._.)

Banned
Gvaz said:

This is how I feel. I hope it works well too. I will feel annoyed if it does a downscale for some of the textures just for minor tweaks in fps performance.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Why do I keep seeing people comment in here not worried about the graphics but worried about the gameplay? Worried about gameplay in an ID game? Come on.

Gvaz

Banned
If it downscales the resolution (based on a previous poster's comment about it) because it doesn't think my computer's fast enough I swear to god I will go to carmack's house and shove my monitor down his throat >:[

You don't fuck with my resolution setting.

Wallach

garath said:
http://twitter.com/#!/jimsterling
http://twitter.com/#!/chrisgrant

There's a few Rage related tweets in there.

Jim Sterling was put on this planet to troll gamers. If he wasn't doing that I'd assume that some kind of pod person invasion was taking place.

54-46!

Drazgul said:
But it's still stupid if players don't have the choice to adjust the settings if they want to.
Gvaz said:
If it downscales the resolution (based on a previous poster's comment about it) because it doesn't think my computer's fast enough I swear to god I will go to carmack's house and shove my monitor down his throat >:[

You don't fuck with my resolution setting.
CONSOLE.. console.

Haven't you played an id game before?

Gvaz

Banned
54-46! said:
CONSOLE.. console.

Haven't you played an id game before?
I'm not opposed to using a console on a pc game, nor is it new grounds to me, but not for basic settings. I don't really think it's appropriate.

I mean we haven't actually SEEN it in action yet on the PC but....it's enough to be concerned about.

Vire said:

Joystiq is my favorite videogame website (besides Gaf), but I've pretty much become accustomed to a few things. They go out of their way to dislike most mainstream games, even games that they give good reviews to, the rest of the staff other than the review spends most of their time trashing it. Almost every serialized game gets a sub-4. And then, games are are unique or new concepts get like 4/5 or higher every time. They trash on any sports game, and for the sports games that are undeniably good -- MLB The Show, NBA 2K -- they just half ass the reviews and don't go into any depth, usually just relenting "this is a sports game, it's not for us."

Love Joystiq for the good writing and the generally objective opinions, but it seems like their writers are more dismissive of certain games and more excited about other games than even the most ardent anti-dude-bro gaffers.

That being said, Joystiq is still probably the best general gaming outlet IMO.

Derrick01

Banned
Gvaz said:
I'm not opposed to using a console on a pc game, nor is it new grounds to me, but not for basic settings. I don't really think it's appropriate.

I mean we haven't actually SEEN it in action yet on the PC but....it's enough to be concerned about.

The resolution downscale is a console only feature. It does that when a lot of shit's going on so the game will stay 60 fps.

The auto detect settings only seems to be for real though.

54-46! said:
We know it looks like Borderlands.. but you don't go in to the Battlefield thread posting a comment about how it looks like Call of Duty do you?

Yeah, but granted, modern warfare can't look a whole lot of different ways.

Rage does look like Borderlands, but people also tend to forget how bland and empty Borderlands actually looked.

Twinduct

Carmack best be leaving in some config files we can touch. I like the current master/ slave relationship I have with my PC.

Winnie the Pimp said:
Well i guess no one can deny at this point that the game's setting DOES remind you HEAVILY of Borderlands...
And the logical answer as to why that is is that both games ripped their junkyard-punk inspiration from Mad Max 2, as do most post-apocalyptic games set in a wasteland. It's the go-to movie for both games and other movies, like Alien/Aliens is for sci-fi.

Seven years ago there weren't many 3D games where you got to play in such a setting. Fallout had done it before in 2D, Fallout 3 was based on that, and I'm sure Borderlands and Rage was to some degree as well.

Anyway, the point is that comparisons to Borderlands are annoying. Both when it comes to visuals (as Borderlands was by no means the first game to pull that off) and gameplay (because the two games are about as related to each-other as Deus Ex is to Call of Duty).

derFeef

Fallout-NL said:
Yeah, but granted, modern warfare can't look a whole lot of different ways.

Rage does look like Borderlands, but people also tend to forget how bland and empty Borderlands actually looked.
If Rage looks like Borderlands then

this
HTTbM.jpg

looks like this
6wHIN.jpg

also.

Gvaz

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Anyway, the point is that comparisons to Borderlands are annoying. Both when it comes to visuals (as Borderlands was by no means the first game to pull that off) and gameplay (because the two games are about as related to each-other as Deus Ex is to Call of Duty).
It popularized the look. And the two visually look way too damn similar, it's extremely obvious.

Gameplay wise, from everything I've seen a better comparison would be if borderlands and bioshock had a baby this would be it.

Derrick01

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
Sterling fishing for hits again. *shock*

Yeah advertising ahead of time that your review is going to piss people off is the kind of shit that needs to be wiped out of games journalism. It signals that you're doing your job wrong and for the wrong reasons.

Drazgul said:
they will adjust them just as they did in Doom 3 and Crysis. with ini files. unless for some reason that's disabled... in which case, yeah, i'll bitch then.

garath

Derrick01 said:
Yeah advertising ahead of time that your review is going to piss people off is the kind of shit that needs to be wiped out of games journalism. It signals that you're doing your job wrong and for the wrong reasons.

And frankly, if you feel like your review is going to get some hate, there MIGHT be a reason.

Derrick01 said:

I feel half and half on this.

I do food / restaurant reviews for the newspaper and often times, if I'm eating somewhere, I'll tweet out like "Ugh... the review for [restaurant name] is going to be a chore..." or something. Although saying something like, "Man you fans of RAGE are going to hate me for this one..." would probably be the wrong idea.

Twinduct

Vire said:
Nerd rage incoming:

http://i.imgur.com/s51sw.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

gah, this clown's opinion can go die in a fire all I care. Honestly the guy is a damn hits troll that should be ignored.

Having said that, looking forward to this tomorrow. Pedigree alone should push the sales.

Honestly the review I am looking forward to most is Brad from Giant Bomb's. He is a fan of Carmack, but I feel he won't tip toe around the game if it is bad.

eshwaaz

Jim Sterling said:
Dear PC devs: When porting to console, remember -- it's a pain in the ass to manually save and we're used to checkpoints on consoles. Cunts.
Please don't speak for me, Jim. For the love of God - don't.

legbone

darkressurection said:
Honestly the review I am looking forward to most is Brad from Giant Bomb's. He is a fan of Carmack, but I feel he won't tip toe around the game if it is bad.

didn't know it was brad. that's cool. yeah, he pretty much idolizes carmack. hope he can remain impartial. i bet he can. brad seems like a reasonable fella. i think he really wanted to love ms. splosionman but called it out for it's flaws.

Gvaz said:
It popularized the look. And the two visually look way too damn similar, it's extremely obvious.
No, Mad Max 2 did that. The point that got lost with your edit was that as soon as games would be able to recreate a post-apocalyptic wasteland environment they'd try to replicate Mad Max 2, which is what has happened here. id didn't look at Borderlands and say "hey, let's do that!"

legbone said:
didn't know it was brad. that's cool. yeah, he pretty much idolizes carmack. hope he can remain impartial. i bet he can. brad seems like a reasonable fella. i think he really wanted to love ms. splosionman but called it out for it's flaws.
Exactly.

Gvaz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
config files are your friends
It shouldn't have to be like that.

Nothing wrong with a default auto setting for those who don't want to fiddle, but what about everyone else who does and can? Why break something that was never broken and didn't need to be changed?

Danne-Danger said:
No, Mad Max 2 did that. The point that got lost with your edit was that as soon as games would be able to recreate a post-apocalyptic wasteland environment they'd try to replicate Mad Max 2, which is what has happened here. id didn't look at Borderlands and say "hey, let's do that!"

I'm not talking about the art style. I'm literally talking about the graphics. The edges, the shadows, the texture work, etc. it's very very similar to the point of almost being a copycat.

There's other things as well in the general design that make you think of borderlands (though for example the jump to third person in a vehicle is not exclusive to borderlands, halo did that too for example)

Gvaz said:
It shouldn't have to be like that.

Nothing wrong with a default auto setting for those who don't want to fiddle, but what about everyone else who does and can? Why break something that was never broken and didn't need to be changed?

I'm not talking about the art style. I'm literally talking about the graphics. The edges, the shadows, the texture work, etc. it's very very similar to the point of almost being a copycat.

There's other things as well in the general design that make you think of borderlands (though for example the jump to third person in a vehicle is not exclusive to borderlands, halo did that too for example)
however similar they look, it only takes a minutes research to realise that it isn't a copy cat, and as such no professional reviewer should mention it, other than to say something like 'because of Rage's long development time, Borderlands was able to beat them to the punch'.

and they really don't look that similar. yes, both have a wasteland kind of art style (scrap makes stuff) but i wouldn't confuse a screen of one for the other, because of the cel shading in borderlands and the texturing in Rage.

Top Bottom