• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Gav47

darkressurection said:
Honestly the review I am looking forward to most is Brad from Giant Bomb's. He is a fan of Carmack, but I feel he won't tip toe around the game if it is bad.
Same here. Kinda glad hes doing the review and not Jeff as is the status quo for fps games at Giant Bomb.
I hope he holds off on the review until he has a chance to play some of the PC version.

Question: were do the rest off you go for reviews? I feel like can't really trust IGN, Eurogamer or Destructoid.

B-Dex

From what I've played the game is good. Linear but good.

One downside form my brief playtime is 3 quests had me in the exact same area and it was right near the start of the game. All 3 were fetch quests too.

The draw distance and vistas are really nice and dat skybox (too bad it's static)

Gav47 said:
Question: were do the rest off you go for reviews? I feel like can't really trust IGN, Eurogamer or Destructoid.
GAF.

As for professionals... I'll read what Tom Chick wrote if he has a go at it, he's usually harsh but on point.

Mr.Green

I'm really looking forward to the review with the score that matches my anticipation. :)

I think I may be cursed. The games I pre-ordered in 2011 (Not sure I ever pre-ordered before):

- Brink
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Rage
- BF3

I think I'm starting to see a trend here...

Gav47 said:
Same here. Kinda glad hes doing the review and not Jeff as is the status quo for fps games at Giant Bomb.
I hope he holds off on the review until he has a chance to play some of the PC version.

in all honesty, i don't really go off reviews. i use GAF hands on from previews (and who's opinions i value varies), in combination with screens and videos, to decide what to buy. generally i'm not left regretting my purchases. sometimes i am, but Rage falls under a game that i feel like i need to play even if i end up hating it.

kind of like Duke Nukem Forever. it wasn't a good game, but it was worth playing becuase of it's place in gaming. Rage is the first new ip ID have made since Quake AND it marks the debut of ID tech 5. that alone makes it worth my money, even if it's fucking terrible.

if it's fucking terrible, i will post my own opinions and impressions. fortunately i've got a decent job so i can afford to buy a game here and there that i end up hating.

legbone

Mr.Green said:
I'm really looking forward to the review with the score that matches my anticipation. :)

I think I may be cursed. The games I pre-ordered in 2011 (Not sure I ever pre-ordered before):

- Brink
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Rage
- BF3

I think I'm starting to see a trend here...

what's that? three out of four games you preordered are shit?

actually i liked brink, it was just broken out of the gate. i also like dnf for what it is. i have played the bf3 beta. i was not impressed.

edit: for the record, i preordered brink, dnf and rage. no bf3 for me, thanks.

Just got a tracking number for my Newegg copy. It's shipping from Tennessee (I live in Kentucky), so there's hope that I'll have it release day!

eshwaaz

Gvaz said:
I'm not talking about the art style. I'm literally talking about the graphics. The edges, the shadows, the texture work, etc. it's very very similar to the point of almost being a copycat.
I thoroughly disagree. Aside from the general setting, I see few direct parallels between the graphics of the two games. I see the similarities as largely superficial.

Mr.Green

legbone said:
what's that? three out of four games you preordered are shit?

actually i liked brink, it was just broken out of the gate. i also like dnf for what it is. i have played the bf3 beta. i was not impressed.

I liked DNF as well but it was a critical disaster that I hardly understand, but I digress... Brink left me with a terrible first impression. I should probably give it a second chance if I ever find the time. I wasn't impressed by the BF3 beta either, but I got Dead Space 2 from the deal and the SP should be a nice roller coaster ride.

I hope Rage isn't that bad. If it's just Borderlands with prettier graphics then I'll be very happy. The gameplay vids I've seen looked awesome, I'd be surprised it ends up being a turd.

eshwaaz said:
I thoroughly disagree. Aside from the general setting, I see few direct parallels between the graphics of the two games. I see the similarities as largely superficial.
it's so weird to me that he specifically says the edges look similar, when one game has big black lines around all the edges and the other doesn't.

legbone

there is no way that rage will be as bad (i like brink and dnf but realize they are technically not too impressive, mainly just the netcode in brink, but anywho).

rage will be just fine. don't worry. if you go in with reasonable expectations (a beautiful game running at 60fps with id gunplay) you won't be disappointed. at least that's what i keep telling myself.

Gvaz

Banned
plagiarize said:
it's so weird to me that he specifically says the edges look similar, when one game has big black lines around all the edges and the other doesn't.
Maybe it was the videos I watched but the things I mentioned stood out to me, and the whole time I was watching my brain started yelling at me "BORDERLANDS" over and over. There were places where it looked like it was different, but in others it was just too similar.

If its Borderlands with meatier gunplay, interesting enemy AI, better vehicle handling and more personality to the various zones I'll be more than happy enough.

My main gripe with id games is monster closets everywhere.

Derrick01 said:
Well destructoid and joystiq are known for being extremely shitty and stupid sometimes. Good or bad I will be ignoring their reviews for just about everything.

Why Joystiq? Is it that they used to be on GAF's shit list? (which I never fully understood why because I couldn't find any info on it)

Derrick01 said:
Well destructoid and joystiq are known for being extremely shitty and stupid sometimes. Good or bad I will be ignoring their reviews for just about everything.
Derrick01 said:
I write them off because they're a shitty site who can't even grasp basic gaming features, they're routinely trolling things they don't understand (mainly on the PC side of course), and they try to pander to the same dumb crowd Kotaku and IGN do despite not being as big as them. They're not worth defending.
This isn't true at all in re: to Joystiq. They've improved a lot.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am amused that Rage seems to getting nicked for being like Borderlands and Fallout 3, but I hardly ever here reviewers criticisizing Call of Duty and yet it changes very little.

kjni6rkj:tw1

So I bought it this morning but couldn't play until earlier, I'm 3 hours in and goddamn is it fun. The game is fucking gorgeous too!

h6p07mtj:tw1

So if you happen to live in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Its out early people!

DenogginizerOS said:
I am amused that Rage seems to getting nicked for being like Borderlands and Fallout 3, but I hardly ever here reviewers criticisizing Call of Duty and yet it changes very little.
Well, there is only so much crap you can give a sequel for being similar to its previous games.

Cartman86

Banned
Gav47 said:

Honestly I can't help but go everywhere. I obviously don't read every single review. Generally I will read the 1up and Giantbomb reviews. The rest is just skimming through the review and the score to get an idea of what the at a glance feelings are.

WrathOfOtaibah said:
scaled.php

So I bought it this morning but couldn't play until earlier, I'm 3 hours in and goddamn is it fun. The game is fucking gorgeous too!

h6p07mtj:tw1

So if you happen to live in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Its out early people!

I cannot believe this shot is on the 360 wow, that shit is hot. I wish though id would have stuck to its pc roots and focused on pc first and ported down, imagine what Rage would look like then.

Cartman86

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

This next round of Call of Duty's is going to get it for that. It's already in the air.

legbone

EvilDick34 said:
No they did not. They targeted the Xbox360 as the lead development platform.

really? i thought all three platforms were built independently but side by side. i think you may be mistaken.

Anabuhabkuss said:
You contract worker or local resident? I grew up in Dubai so was just curious :) That region almost always gets stuff sooner than the West, piracy excluded.

I'm a resident, taking a break from college in the US this fall by annoying my family and playing a shitton of videogames.

Definity said:
They built all of them at the same time. That's one of the strengths of id tech 5.

Everyone builds games around the different platforms but there is always a stronger focus on a certain system and in this case id built the game around the Xbox360 and it's limitations.

Peterthumpa

As much as I like the game to be successful, I must say that the fanboyism level here is reaching space levels. The whole "but this is RAGE" shouts around are just because the developer is the almighty ID.

You see, I'm not trying to be an asshole, but even top tier developers sometimes just do it wrong. Not really gaming related but take Pixar's last movie as an example.

Let's hope I'm god damn wrong though.

Definity

I've just seen Tim from id say more than once in an interview there was no lead platform.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/xbox/games/162492.Rage/features/136972.20110504.RAGEs-Tim-Willits/

There was another article that discussed how the game was developed and how each version could be sent down the pipeline and optimized on the fly so to speak per platform (still looking for that one).
I can understand picking the weakest link in the chain type deal though and programming against that.

Definity said:
I've just seen Tim from id say more than once in an interview there was no lead platform.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/xbox/games/162492.Rage/features/136972.20110504.RAGEs-Tim-Willits/

There was another article that discussed how the game was developed and how each version could be sent down the pipeline and optimized on the fly so to speak per platform (still looking for that one).
I can understand picking the weakest link in the chain type deal though and programming against that.

Dude, carmack himself if you bothered to read at the link i provided has said xbox360 is the lead platform. They even went so far as to program the game just with controllers in mind. Believe me, i'd rather it be PC centric but it is as far from that as possible.

nel e nel

Speedymanic said:
Has anyone with the game found any of the sewers yet? If memory serves, they were supposed to be a feature for those who bought the game new but I haven't seen it mentioned since ID last spoke about them.

There are sewers, yes, but the code that comes packaged with the game is for a Legends of the Wastelands co-op sewers mission. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet though.

Also, just to clarify on my graphics comment earlier in the thread, it's more of a strange inconsistency between character models and some of the environmental stuff. You'll be talking to a mechanic in a garage, and his model looks amazing and is animated superbly, but the oil can next to him looks like a sprite from Doom 2.

nel e nel said:
There are sewers, yes, but the code that comes packaged with the game is for a Legends of the Wastelands co-op sewers mission. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet though.

Can you provide a link saying the sewers are just co-op? id has said that the sewers are for people who purchase a game new.

nel e nel said:
Yeah I came across the sewer, it's between the Ark where you emerge and the Hagar settlement. Was about to go in there, but the npc standing there hinted that I'd need serious firepower to survive, so I wussed out.

Vire

felipepl said:
As much as I like the game to be successful, I must say that the fanboyism level here is reaching space levels. The whole "but this is RAGE" shouts around are just because the developer is the almighty ID.

You see, I'm not trying to be an asshole, but even top tier developers sometimes just do it wrong. Not really gaming related but take Pixar's last movie as an example.

Let's hope I'm god damn wrong though.
You think it's bad now, wait till the Destructoid review hits tonight...

perineumlick said:
Yeah I came across the sewer, it's between the Ark where you emerge and the Hagar settlement. Was about to go in there, but the npc standing there hinted that I'd need serious firepower to survive, so I wussed out.

Aww, you gotta go do it, come on!

Anabuhabkuss said:
Ugh. I just have this feeling that this game is going to get chewed up by the critics.

Why do people keep saying this? Again, RAGE won almost every Game of the Show award possible at E3 2010. Is the press suddenly going to change its mind? (Actually, knowing gaming "jounalism", the answer is probably yes.)

Fjordson

Gav47 said:
Giant Bomb. Various forums. GAF impressions too, though I sometimes find myself on the total opposite end of the spectrum with some games.

Top Bottom