• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Solo

Sinatar said:
Especially given how obvious it is that these reviews are all bought and paid for.

Indeed.

GAF impressions, or impression from any other friend/family member/co-worker/anyone not getting paid to shill > gaming "journalist" reviews.

For something like Rage, I don't even need reviews. id Software game? Bought.

Gav47

Solo said:
This is one of, if not my biggest beef/thing I hate about GAF - how much stock people put into reviews.
But if someone doesn't gives us a number in relation to a game how will we know what to think?

Also, I saw you post earlier saying that there was 24 hrs until RAGE was released, the US Steam store shows 7 hrs and the EU/AUS page shows 3 days 3 hrs, what gives, is there a third release zone?

Zeliard said:
I'm just curious if he actually has his own reasons or if hasn't really played it and is just propagating the meme that Doom 3 is the one blunder in id's oeuvre.

Well note I haven't played the game in several years, but the feeling I came away from was that it was a very repetitive video game. Pretty, certainly. Atmospheric, agreeable. But it felt like too few ideas spread out unevenly over too many hours. The developers spent so much time on the visual side of things that the actual gameplay part kinda fell to the wayside. Oh, and that flashlight was awfulawfulAWFUL. About 2/3rds through the game, I kinda just pushed my way through it just to say I beat Doom 3 and can discuss it around the water cooler.

So right now, id Software is that company that made a pretty mediocre video game about 7 years ago. Not much of a resume to go on, in my book. I think people should talk more about the actual content of the game and judge it on its own merits, and not the supposed flawless intent and execution of the developers.

edit: Also, I find it really amusing of the "oh, don't listen to those reviews, they're all bought off and terrible, 8.8, kane and lynch, yadda yadda yadda". Its the cynical douchebag version of the same people they are criticizing, those people who just look at Metacritic blurbs and scores to support their opinion on a product.

Bumhead

Banned
Solo said:
This is one of, if not my biggest beef/thing I hate about GAF - how much stock people put into reviews.

I don't think I've ever bought (or chosen not to buy) a game solely on reviews. Sometimes unanimously strong reviews from the 4 or 5 sites I trust will reinforce my decision to buy something I was only 90% sure about, but that's it.

I'll be buying RAGE irrespective, but I'm still intrigued by how it's received generally.

Solo

Gav47 said:
But if someone doesn't gives us a number in relation to a game how will we know what to think?

Also, I saw you post earlier saying that there was 24 hrs until RAGE was released, the US Steam store shows 7 hrs and the EU/AUS page shows 3 days 3 hrs, what gives, is there a third release zone?

The SOLO zone! dododododododododo

For serious though, I said 24 (now 23!) hours until I get to RAGE. Game will be out in 6 hours, but I'll just be going to bed at that point. Then sleep + work = 23 hours until I will be playing it tomorrow night.

zlatko said:
I wish I was rich like you that I could toss my money around on any game that interests me, especially on a year as packed to the brim as 2011, but unfortunately I have to be selective on my purchases and reviews help in giving me some feedback on what is good in the game/what isn't before I invest that money.

Yeah dude I'm not rich at all, a lot of games have to wait till next summer before I have the time and money to buy them. But I can never trust game reviews after the horrendous fiasco that was GTA IV.

Kifimbo

Old ? EGM gave RAGE a 9.5.

SUMMARY: All things considered, Rage is one hell of an experience. It would be easy to knock this game for some of the elements it lacks, but what is here in is easily on par with some of the best titles in the genre. If you’re a fan of FPS gaming and the kids at id, you won’t be sorry you picked this one up.

THE GOOD: Stellar shooting, addictive multiplayer, RPG elements
THE BAD: Lackluster ending, no FPS multiplayer, occasional design hiccups
THE UGLY: Not even the apocalypse can stamp out evil corporations…

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/egm-review-rage/

kamspy

Solo said:

Metacritic/reviews are killing more than just GAF. If the industry wants to take Metacritic seriously they need to figure out some way to regulate who's input they're factoring into that score.

Rage and Borderlands are practically the same game.

Just like:
Witcher 2 and Skyrim
GT5 and Burnout
Mario and Crash Bandicoot
God of War and Ninja Gaiden

How can you guys not see IT!

Autofokus

By page 65, I predict a major backslash about the tech.

Main arguments : a) muddy textures and b) UE3 poor texture streaming 2.0

Tom Penny

Solo said:

How else do you know if a game is going to be good? Reviews are almost always accurate.

jett

D-Member
Kabuki Waq said:

Just like:
Witcher 2 and Skyrim
GT5 and Burnout

We're just missing a "What can id learn from Gearbox" IGN article!

LOL

jett

D-Member
DevelopmentArrested said:
the art design in the game is so incredible; have to say that some characters give off Nomura vibes though (mostly it's just the sassy girl with the wingstick)

Are their clothing rife with belts, belt bucks and zippers?

Chesskid1

Banned
lens of truth is up for me, just slow.

they are just comparing 360/ps3 so meh.

i suppose we will have an assload of screenshots in 6 or so hours? is that right? :D

dmshaposv

Kabuki Waq said:

Just like:
Witcher 2 and Skyrim
GT5 and Burnout

Why are you guys sounding so desperate defending this game?

Rage and Borderlands have similar art styles but the games you've posted have completely different art styles. To say Rage and Borderlands don't looks similar visually would be looking delusional. How they play, is a different matter entirely.

It is kinda the same flak some people are giving Syndicate reboot for being too similar to Deus Ex HR. You can't deny that the game have a lot of similar visual qualities (design motifs, characters, e.t.c)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Autofokus said:
By page 65, I predict a major backslash about the tech.

Main arguments : a) muddy textures and b) UE3 poor texture streaming 2.0

What irks me about that, especially on PS3 going by the videos, is that textures a not only loaded in your face, but they seem to do so every time you look around.

In UE3 games, you get that only once the scene has been drawn. After that, you can spin around and the textures will retain their quality.

In Rage, if you look away from a fully loaded texture and then look at it again, it goes through the low > high process again.

On that point, I wonder how the PS3 version would perform if you put a SSD in there.

Truespeed

I can't tell if it's the Gamma differences or not, but some of the PS3 screens look like they've been quincunxed in comparison to the 360 screens.

Salsa

Borderlands is way, way, waaaaaaay more cartooney. I can only see the comparissions in the setting, and one could say the same thing about any wasteland setting in a videogame really.

Ihya

Solo said:
Apparently being one of the best survival horror games of the past decade = shit

Urgh. Find a top ten list of survival horror games, play a few, then realise the flashlight mechanic, the monster closets, the repetitive gameplay, the repetitive environments and the wafer thin plot does not make this 'one of the best horror games of the decade'. Then look up the word hyperbole in the dictionary and refrain from using it.

dmshaposv said:

Rage and Borderlands have similar art styles but the games you've posted have completely different art styles. To say Rage and Borderlands don't looks similar visually would be looking delusional. How they play, is a different matter entirely.

It is kinda the same flak some people are giving Syndicate reboot for being too similar to Deus Ex HR. You can't deny that the game have a lot of similar visual qualities (design motifs, characters, e.t.c)

art style/character design, Animation level design looks different to me.

Man

Truespeed said:
I can't tell if it's the Gamma differences or not, but some of the PS3 screens look like they've been quincunxed in comparison to the 360 screens.
None of the console versions have AA or any real softening effects (Tim Willits).

Darklord

Banned
Ihya said:
Urgh. Find a top ten list of survival horror games, play a few, then realise the flashlight mechanic, the monster closets, the repetitive gameplay, the repetitive environments and the wafer thin plot does not make this 'one of the best horror games of the decade'.

I'd rather a flashlight that doesn't clip onto a gun than tank controls or constant inventory management.

dmshaposv said:

Rage's art style predates Borderlands. Borderlands is cel shaded and looks good in its own way. that some area of Borderlands look like some areas of Rage is a coincidence and isn't a criticism of either game.

that's why it's blowing my mind to hear people using it as one.

Autofokus

TTP said:
What irks me about that, especially on PS3 going by the videos, is that textures a not only loaded in your face, but they seem to do so every time you look around.

In UE3 games, you get that only once the scene has been drawn. After that, you can spin around and the textures will retain their quality.

In Rage, if you look away from a fully loaded texture and then look at it again, it goes through the low > high process again.

On that point, I wonder how the PS3 version would perform if you put a SSD in there.
Thats what I meant. It's better on the 360 (installed), but still a problem.

Edit: I don't know if a SSD would help. Afaik, only the hi-res assets gets installed (ps3), the lower ones are still streamed directly from disc.

Geoff9920

Closing comments to the EGM review were very positive.
EGM said:
In the end, it’s this desire to differentiate that takes Rage from the realm of everyday shooter and into something much more rewarding. Not exactly a traditional id aim-and-shoot, just shy of exactly an RPG, and just a few features short of a full-blown car-combat simulator, Rage is a little of all these things—and, as a result, something much greater than the sum of its parts. Though it’s not without its faults, it’s a game that immediately struck me as a new high-water mark for the folks at id, and while its apparent desire to set itself up for a sequel kept it from finishing on as high a note as I would’ve liked, Rage is, without question, the most polished, engrossing id title to date, and it’s a must-play for FPS fans looking for the Next Big Thing in action gaming.
Then again, this was an early review.

eurgh, this thread is going to make me talk about 'gameplay'.

ID games all 'play' great. in terms of how they handle, how the guns work, how well they control, their feel, how fun the enemies are to fight against? ID are best in the business.

Doom 3 had some questionable game design decisions, but i don't personally think of that as gameplay, but game design. Doom 3. great gameplay... bad game design.

no one criticises Doom 3 in terms of how the weapons handle and the enemies fight. they complain about the flashlight. they complain about the repetitive scares. they complain about the unrelenting darkness.

and frankly, i do too. but the gameplay... frankly i can't complain about that.

Truespeed

Man said:
None of the console versions have AA or any real softening effects (Tim Willits).

So, it's just the gamma?

316rlus.png

BTW, Quake logo on head.

Top Bottom