• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Definity

Do you have access to the anarchy edition items at the start of the game? If so, I think I might just hold those until my nightmare run.

nel e nel

EvilDick34 said:
Can you provide a link saying the sewers are just co-op? id has said that the sewers are for people who purchase a game new.

Ah shite, now I'm not sure. I've played through two of the sewers so far, and looking for info on the internet does not yield any results about them being co-op. I'll confirm tonight when I get home from work.

If you don't have them, you're not missing much. Very short dungeon crawls that reward you with ammo and $$.

perineumlick said:
Yeah I came across the sewer, it's between the Ark where you emerge and the Hagar settlement. Was about to go in there, but the npc standing there hinted that I'd need serious firepower to survive, so I wussed out.

Pfffftt...Wasteland inhabitants are wussies. All you need is the combat shotgun and 20 buckshot and you're good. I haven't even downloaded the bonus weapons yet and I'm not having any problems on Hard difficulty.

Amir0x

Banned
Gav47 said:
Same here. Kinda glad hes doing the review and not Jeff as is the status quo for fps games at Giant Bomb.
I hope he holds off on the review until he has a chance to play some of the PC version.

Question: were do the rest off you go for reviews? I feel like can't really trust IGN, Eurogamer or Destructoid.

No where really. I go to neoGAF and read the posts of a select few individuals whose opinions I can respect (agreeing with them is not a prerequisite for respect - only the understandability of his/her critique, so that when I read it I can go "well I can see what he/she means, even though I don't agree.").

I've read a few decent reviews on Edge and Eurogamer in the past, but they're so wildly inconsistent in quality that it's a crapshoot whether I'll get a well written one of worthless garbage.

EvilDick34 said:
Aww, you gotta go do it, come on!
Lol, I'm playing on Nightmare, and these mutants take a lot to bring down. I got stuck somewhere else anyway, so I might as well give it a shot. It's hinted that there's special items and weapons down there, and I can use that right now.

nel e nel

Definity said:
Do you have access to the anarchy edition items at the start of the game? If so, I think I might just hold those until my nightmare run.

I think they unlock at specific points in the game. My buddy downloaded the bonus weapons, and he only had the DBS and the spiked gloves for the first dungeon crawl. No buggy, no crimson armor.

Truespeed

Or to put it another way,

derFeef said:
If Rage looks like Borderlands then

this

6wHIN.jpg

looks like

2012-lamborghini-aventador-front-angle.jpg

Peterthumpa

Some tweets from BenKuchera (Ars Technica):

Just because I'm grumpy this morning: anyone want to guess which outlet has been gifted the early Rage review, and guess the score?

Okay, consensus says IGN, and no less than 8.5, with more people saying 9. I think that's going to be accurate.

nel e nel

perineumlick said:
Lol, I'm playing on Nightmare, and these mutants take a lot to bring down. I got stuck somewhere else anyway, so I might as well give it a shot. It's hinted that there's special items and weapons down there, and I can use that right now.

Meh...there's not that much special stuff to be honest. Just sellable junk and ammo mostly. And the way the levels are designed, there are lots of narrow halls that you can bottleneck the mutants into and pick them off one at a time.

iumogg

Neo Member
I'm not surprised so many people expect the game to be like borderlands because they have similar settings, but it seems like the setting and being a fps are all they have in common. It can be annoying that people make superficial judgments without doing a little research.

I don't why, but this is my most anticipated game this fall besides Batman. (I've never played an id game) I watched the first two hours on YouTube and it looks great. I think a more applicable comparison from what I have seen is a structured/semi-linear far cry 2, with a borderlands skin, and a bioshock level of world detail and atmosphere.

Solo

FINALBOSS said:
Why do I keep seeing people comment in here not worried about the graphics but worried about the gameplay? Worried about gameplay in an ID game? Come on.

Those are people who have never played an id game, quite obviously.

Vire

Solo said:
Those are people who have never played an id game, quite obviously.
No I did, their last game - Doom 3 was garbage from a gameplay standpoint.

Don't even get me started with the whole flashlight nonsense.

Gvaz

Banned
kamspy said:
Check out how Skyrim totally stole the setting from Dragon Age.
You're missing the point.

Truespeed said:
Or to put it another way,

this

6wHIN.jpg

looks like

2012-lamborghini-aventador-front-angle.jpg

This guy gets it exactly. They're not the same thing, you'd be wrong to say they're the same. Are they similar? Fuck yeah they are. For one, ones glossy and one's a matte finish, different front body work, etc

DarkChild

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Considering Id hasn't made a great game in over ten years, I find all this "ITS AN ID GAME CARMACK IS GOD" defenses bizarrely amusing.
Carmack still is the man, I'm sure you won't hear people complaining about graphics/frame rate. Their designers on the other hand...well, that remains to be seen.

perineumlick said:
Oh oh oh! Tell us about Nightmare.

wait, this isnt made by gearbox? I though this was a borderlands spinoff

stop talking about borderlands. Dead Island is more Borderlands than this. Stop the nonsense.

Vire said:
No I did, their last game - Doom 3 was garbage from a gameplay standpoint.

Don't even get me started with the whole flashlight nonsense.

Oh, those stupid flashlights.

dune buggy is to rage, what the flashlight was to doom 3.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Considering Id hasn't made a great game in over ten years, I find all this "ITS AN ID GAME CARMACK IS GOD" defenses bizarrely amusing.

Well Rage's gameplay is the best gameplay out of any FPS I've played this year(maybe even this gen) mechanics wise, its also very fluid and natural. Its a joy to control.

Also can people stop bitching about reviews? Who fucking cares what this or that game "journalist" thinks, if you want the game buy it and see on which end you find yourself.

DarkChild said:
Carmack still is the man, I'm sure you won't hear people complaining about graphics/frame rate. Their designers on the other hand...well, that remains to be seen.

I'm sure it'll be very pretty. Doom 3 was very pretty, too, but it was a pretty shit game, despite that.

I don't know, I guess I'll wait for more impressions, but the "id software, they can't do wrong" defense doesn't work for me because, yeah, they totally can do wrong.

Zeliard

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I'm sure it'll be very pretty. Doom 3 was very pretty, too, but it was a pretty shit game, despite that.

I don't know, I guess I'll wait for more impressions, but the "id software, they can't do wrong" defense doesn't work for me because, yeah, they totally can do wrong.

Why was Doom 3 a shit game?

CoilShot

perineumlick said:

So as far as nightmare it just takes more bullets to take them down and thats all?

Peterthumpa

LeonSKennedy90 said:

You know, from a gameplay standpoint, Doom 3 was really nothing extraordinary, it was your standard first person corridor shooter coupled with some scares here and there. But I have so many good memories of playing it because the atmosphere was so great, and that for me was enough to place it in a special place im my gamer heart.

I'm hoping that Rage will do the same.

Truespeed

Gvaz said:
This guy gets it exactly. They're not the same thing, you'd be wrong to say they're the same. Are they similar? Fuck yeah they are. For one, ones glossy and one's a matte finish, different front body work, etc

The one on the bottom is the new Aventador. Brand new from the ground up and uses no legacy parts or pieces from the old. Check out Jay Leno's garage for a preview of it and to see the Aventador exoskeleton. Warning, though, if you detest popped collars then I don't recommend you watch the video.

Link

Vire

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Well Rage's gameplay is the best gameplay out of any FPS I've played this year(maybe even this gen) mechanics wise, its also very fluid and natural. Its a joy to control.

Also can people stop bitching about reviews? Who fucking cares what this or that game "journalist" thinks, if you want the game buy it and see on which end you find yourself.
I think the point of reviews are to steer you into the direction of whether to buy it or not. Buying it and then deciding if you like it - isn't exactly helpful.

Truespeed

Zeliard said:
Why was Doom 3 a shit game?

I'm guessing light, or rather the lack of it, might have had something to do with it. Anytime a flashlight mod is your most popular mod you know something went wrong.

legbone

all right. my amazon order has shipped. in 24 hours or so i will be full of RAGE. that screenshot above has reignited my hype. amazing that is on a console at 60 fps.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Apparently being one of the best survival horror games of the past decade = shit

I'm just curious if he actually has his own reasons or if hasn't really played it and is just propagating the meme that Doom 3 is the one blunder in id's oeuvre.

Truespeed said:
I'm guessing light, or rather the lack of it, might have had something to do with it. Anytime a flashlight mod is your most popular mod you know something went wrong.
Yeah, that cheat should've been a console command for all the sissies out there, perhaps mandatory on some of the baby difficulties.

zlatko

Banned
WrathOfOtaibah said:

I wish I was rich like you that I could toss my money around on any game that interests me, especially on a year as packed to the brim as 2011, but unfortunately I have to be selective on my purchases and reviews help in giving me some feedback on what is good in the game/what isn't before I invest that money.

RAGE sounds like something I definitely want to play, but unfortunately for my tastes and my budget it falls into the rental category. I have the free time to be able to beat it over the course of the 7 day rentals I can get here in my town for 5 bucks.

Now if idsoftware had taken the time to craft an actual multiplayer component that wasn't just vehicle combat, then I might be contemplating a purchase. Not every game needs multiplayer for me to buy it, but this one certainly could have benefited from it when the design and the unique weapons could have brought a great twist on the death match formula. Wingstickin fools would have been awesome. :)

Gvaz

Banned
Truespeed said:
The one on the bottom is the new Aventador. Brand new from the ground up and uses no legacy parts or pieces from the old. Check out Jay Leno's garage for a preview of it and to see the Aventador exoskeleton. Warning, though, if you detest popped collars then I don't recommend you watch the video.

Link
Popped collars is something you make fun of, but those cars are hot.

CoilShot said:
So as far as nightmare it just takes more bullets to take them down and thats all?
I started on Nightmare so I can't compare it to the other difficulties. It hasn't been all that hard; the enemies are very quick and elusive, and so far the shottie has been the most effective. Though right now I'm stuck on a mission that's just been impossible so far. I just haven't been able to find the right strategy against this boss.

Bumhead

Banned
No way man.

8 is Eurogamer's default score for anything with abit of hype behind it but which isn't perfect or has some problems.

legbone said:
all right. my amazon order has shipped. in 24 hours or so i will be full of RAGE. that screenshot above has reignited my hype. amazing that is on a console at 60 fps.

Here's two others then:

memfulbj:tw1

h062625918j:tw1

Not as good as the first one I took but oh well.

By the way, I have not been this impressed by a game graphically since the beginning of this gen.

Gvaz

Banned
Solo said:
This is one of, if not my biggest beef/thing I hate about GAF - how much stock people put into reviews.
Yeah a review should only really be used as a factor of why not to buy it. I want to read about what's wrong about the game FIRST then what's good about it after. Anyone can praise a game, but it's hard to remove design issues or limitations or whatever and just as hard to praise them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Solo said:
This is one of, if not my biggest beef/thing I hate about GAF - how much stock people put into reviews.

Especially given how obvious it is that these reviews are all bought and paid for.

Top Bottom