• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Karak said:
It is sure, I own them both and had them side to side. And it is. Sorry to inform you. Its not something that will piss people off, but its something the PS3 is known for to be honest. Again it isn't even noticeable all the time unless you have them side to side. But it's there *shrugs*. Doesn't make the game bad or anything, it rocks.

But people should buy either. Its not like its going to steal your birthday if you get one or the other it just is what it is.
please, look at the third comparison on LOT. tell me that the PS3 screen is blurrier and or has AA. that one isn't blurrier on PS3 and clearly has no AA on both platforms, and there's a perfectly simple reason why some screens are blurrier on PS3 and some aren't.

hell look at the load bar on the display on the first comparison. which one looks sharper there?

PS3 version.

without doing an indepth analysis of how often both games maintain 720p, individual screens showing one version having an advantage over the other in IQ are pointless.

Karak said:
Now you got me thinking about Borderlands...and more importantly its sequel. Damnit.

I only ever played Borderlands when I was a tester on it. Was the final product as repetitive or did they tone it down some?

Karak

Vire said:
Thank you for clarifying, I'm sure both versions are just as fun.

Any other impressions?

Its awesome. Driving is a blast, missions are fun, I hate the pistol, love the crossbow. I get a bit sick during the driving parts because the camera is attached to the back end of the vehicle with almost no give. Going higher and lower in races and driving around gives a bit of wobble that I am susceptible too.

Other than that. I can only say I am having a blast and I can't see anyone being pissed about getting it, and when it comes to the system. Get it on whatever you have. If you have NO reason to like one or the other of the 2 consoles, get it for 360. However, if for any reason you have a desire to get it for the PS3 get that bitch asap!

Its fun man. To me even if it looked like shit but was fun I would be all over it. That's what makes a game for me.

Also, as I said before. I love the AI. This shit is a challenge. If they aren't leaping and rolling, they are sidestepping and juking. Great times!

pa22word

TTP said:
On page 2 of that LOT analysis there is a rollover version of the "glove" pic. The difference there is staggering. Not sure if I'm seeing a lower PS3 res or some DOF there. That's the only pic showing such a discrepancy.

[/QUOTE] Looks like the 360 version has some aniso going on or something.

Karak

moop2000 said:
I only ever played Borderlands when I was a tester on it. Was the final product as repetitive or did they tone it down some?

It was repetitive but to be honest I was more indicating #2.

Karak

plagiarize said:
please, look at the third comparison on LOT. tell me that the PS3 screen is blurrier and or has AA. that one isn't blurrier on PS3 and clearly has no AA on both platforms, and there's a perfectly simple reason why some screens are blurrier on PS3 and some aren't.

hell look at the load bar on the display on the first comparison. which one looks sharper there?

PS3 version.

without doing an indepth analysis of how often both games maintain 720p, individual screens showing one version having an advantage over the other in IQ are pointless.

Shrugs. I have it.
Once you get it be happy you have it and enjoy.

I don't really trust pics of videos much. I trust the game I am playing. I really can't be more straight than that. Also as I have said a couple times now. Its awesome no matter what.

It seems you are stuck on this particular issue, with mentions of in depth pic by pic. I put them side to side on the same tv and system man. That's what was witnessed first hand...with the game...in hand. Its not like one is a 360 and the other is a genesis jeez. The PS3 just had a very slight amount of blur. Which I KNOW some people actually like for the softer look it gives. Its personal preference really.

But that also doesn't measure the fun, which I am having in spades. If you are that stressed about it get the PC version, I can pretty much guarantee its going to slap the faces of the console versions...if only in texture IQ.

Karak

moop2000 said:
Yeah, I'll definitely try out Bprderlands 2 hoping that they fixed some of its problems.

Agreed. I am stoked for the idea of taking some of the gamer feedback and throwing it into the sequel and coming out with what I had HOPED would be the first one.

Karak said:
Shrugs. I have it.
Once you get it be happy you have it and enjoy.

I don't really trust pics of videos much. I trust the game I am playing. I really can't be more straight than that. Also as I have said a couple times now. Its awesome no matter what.

It seems you are stuck on this particular issue, with mentions of in depth pic by pic. I put them side to side on the same tv and system man. That's what was witnessed first hand...with he game...in hand.
But that doesn't measure the fun. If you are that stressed about it get the PC version.
i'm not stressed out. i'm getting the PC version. i just think LOT have made an invalid comparison by ignoring the fact that the game adjusts the internal resolution to maintain 60 fps.

i think comments like 'the PS3 version is running at a lower resolution' or 'the PS3 version is less detailed' based on ONE comparison shot is stupid, when it isn't the case in others.

could the 360 version hold it's 720p much more often. sure. but we don't know that from LOTs comparison.

i'm not upset, i'm just trying to warn people away from making assesments of the two different versions based on a comparison that doesn't contain nearly enough information to draw any valid conclusion.

Gamereactor Sweden Review 8/10 :

http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/29348/Rage/

Second Opinion (????) Google Translate :

Jonas Mäki

Rage should have been released two years ago. Then it would have been the market's hottest games and maybe I was more easily forgive Id Software's overpriced epics of the ancient and somewhat outdated feeling that the game delivers. Sure the graphics are nice, but not so the blame on a DirectX 11-patched Crysis 2 to PC. Gunplay is entertaining, but nowhere near as good as in Halo: Reach, Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm. There will be a bit one-sided at times, Rage fail to engage and transport distances bores. Vehicle physics are also directly ridiculously bad, and despite the glorious glimpses of light and ultra-stylish design stops my ratings on a seven. 7 / 10

Postman

Banned
Gvaz said:
How would the resolution change anyways? My monitor does a total refresh on res changes. That would be jarring to me to keep switching back and forth.

Your tv display resolution does not change but your frame buffer resolution does.

delta25

Banned
MentalNoiz said:
AMD Catalyst Rage Performance Driver :

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

Download Link does not work yet. Supposedly later tonight.

AMD Catalyst Rage Performance Driver Features:

Significant performance gains for single GPU configurations
Compatible with AMD Radeon™ 6000 and AMD Radeon 5000 series of graphics products

This has me worried big time, considering what the Tech 5 is supposed to be about, this news is a bit unnerving to say the least. There should be no reason to have a GPU patch this early.

MentalNoiz said:

http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/29348/Rage/

Second Opinion (????) Google Translate :

Jonas Mäki

Rage should have been released two years ago. Then it would have been the market's hottest games and maybe I was more easily forgive Id Software's overpriced epics of the ancient and somewhat outdated feeling that the game delivers. Sure the graphics are nice, but not so the blame on a DirectX 11-patched Crysis 2 to PC. Gunplay is entertaining, but nowhere near as good as in Halo: Reach, Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm. There will be a bit one-sided at times, Rage fail to engage and transport distances bores. Vehicle physics are also directly ridiculously bad, and despite the glorious glimpses of light and ultra-stylish design stops my ratings on a seven. 7 / 10
i love how you didn't translate the summary of the actual review, just the more negative second opinion.

but sounds there and there abouts. i won't be surprised if i come in with a 7/10 kind of review.

Derrick01

Banned
delta25 said:
This has me worried big time, considering what the Tech 5 is supposed to be about, this news is a bit unnerving to say the least. There should be no reason to have a GPU patch this early.

isn't that because the game uses a new version of open gl or whatever (I'm not a tech person) that apparently none of the drivers support yet except for the most recent beta drivers that were meant for bf3? I could have sworn it was mentioned a few pages back.

delta25 said:
it's a brand new engine. is it unsurprising that AMD would want to release drivers optimised for it, and that they wouldn't already have optimisations in place as they do for existing engines?

Karak

Ya that' actually sounds like a really fair review. (Gamereator). I would say an 8 or 8.5 easy. But not a 9-10 as those are god games to me and their fun must be exuding from every digital inch of their glistening dvd skin.

EDIT: Though...I have found myself smiling after a 4 on 1 battle more times than most games...

Wallach

delta25 said:

I went over this earlier in the thread. Carmack stays current; nvidia and AMD, not quite as much. The GPU manufacturers have slacked off regarding OpenGL 4.2; these drivers should have been out already.

MentalNoiz said:

Vehicle physics are also directly ridiculously bad, and despite the glorious glimpses of light and ultra-stylish design stops my ratings on a seven. 7 / 10
It's a fair point vehicle physics are rigid. The one's i've seen at least.

In consoles the close distance of the detail streaming forthe textures is too obvious, its really annoying. People that are into this game for the visuals more than anything else should opt for the PC version if possible.

Vire

Translated for the lazy:

All that the eye can see is desert, ödelandskap and hopelessly inhospitable. On top of everything, it is difficult to take a step without a gang of bandits or mutated freaks should put in. Chrille have loaded shotgun crashing breaker, and shot himself through the Rage ...
It does not take many seconds before I narrowly escapes death for the first time by many. My reflections on the context - who I am and where I am, down-prioritized. Instead, I jump up in the passenger seat next to my new-found friend and savior, throws after the tank in the back seat and realize that where I am is survival not something you take for granted. Once in a small desert community simmering act small forward. A nice kind here, a nasty type there. A few completed assignments later, I have a small number of firearms that speaks every language I could possibly need, and a vehicle that can take me wherever I want.

Then my desires, primarily, to find exciting new ways to shoot mutants in the head on, it is initially gun muzzle and not carburetor that runs hot. Shooting of bandits and corrupt humanoids can be performed here and there, but the game's all campaign missions are preferred for this purpose. This lead track of the action consists of fairly conventional design action levels, interspersed with the relatively open world.

As new areas are unlocked, especially the two major hub cities, this chain of action, however, more and more competition for attention from the various side missions and minigames. The game's racing element has attracted most attention in advance, and it is also where much of my time invested. In organized races against three competitors I fight for first place in order to thus be able to switch victories against upgrades to my growing fleet, through the special racing currency.

Mutant Bash TV is one of the game's more unusual - and fun - elements. The concept of mutants, entertainment violence and TV cameras never stop fun.
I will not hide the fact that the driving experience does not belong to the most magical I've experienced, regardless of whether I drive a quad bike, a buggy or a hell of steel, flames and horsepower. The documentation does not run one-tenth as much as it should, but control is functional. To my vehicle I want it is really all I want from an action game. Especially as powerups and weapons are important enough to keep track of.

There are also fyrhjula challenges that are not as organized by nature, but that pop up here and there when you right around the wilderness. Moreover, one of the few reasons to actually bother to explore the world, sadly. These challenges consist in carrying out death-defying and a maximum of spectacular jumps between rocks, dunes and canyons. First, it is about the game world consists of many more people with armed vehicles, of which exactly all want one badly. To shoot these competitors in the marshy rewarded in cash, while the shop generates gadgets of all kinds.

Sadly, this one little side effect. To quickly and easily able to amass ammunition and other supplies are at odds with the desolate and barren landscape it all takes place in. It violates not only with the design in general, but also makes the game a bit too easy for those who are willing to take a little time. What begins as smart survival strategies moving quickly to the exploitation of the fragile balance games. Another clear example of this is the system of mechanical home construction.

What it suffers so do the opponents really nasty and annoying. No enemy is more powerful than the combination of EMP-grenade and fatal boomerang.
Both transactions far less hospitable places contain a limited amount of drawings, almost recipe, the ammunition, grenades, assault robots and everything else that hobby MacGyver might wish for. The concept is of course nothing wrong. That after a fierce firefight find that essential piece of sheet metal that makes the shotgun can be filled with exploding ammunition for some time, of course, a nice reward. But when you realize that a little planning and smart shopping will lead to an abundance of weapons of death occurs, sadly, the choice between playing well and playing as intended.

Smart ideas with good execution, but lacking in some more or less important detail is a bit of rages hallmark. One of the game more blameless qualities, however, is variation. In addition to motorized entertainment time I sucked in by everything from sniping to card games. The game world feels quite simply, both alive and well designed, although a more linear structure than the wish to make light of. The best rating I can give the variability is that I almost always choose new siding and forms of gambling not because I have to or because it benefits me, but because I want to.

My first big disappointment has to do with graphics. Partly it has to do with very high expectations. Rage has throughout its development period looked like a delicious feast the eyes of distorted faces and the grim landscape. And sure, some of the outdoor environments are gorgeous. Likewise, the knife equipped enemies that somersaults forward in a zigzag pattern as smooth animated as they are difficult to meet. On the whole, looks mostly good or very good in motion. What truly constitutes a clear majority of playing time.

As the action escalates becomes the enemy as usual, more and more powerful. There will be short, increasingly difficult to cope on their own. Fortunately, most clients make life safer in exchange for a payoff.
But the pace is reduced in Rage, and when they do show painfully low-resolution textures and the desperate need for anti-aliasing, their ugly snouts. The contrast with the most spectacular parties is enormous, much greater than the time difference between today and when Rage announced, 2007. That these abuses occur equally clear on the PC as the console is a bit strange, but maybe gossip about the graphics engine Id Tech 5 has been endowed with large forces that carry a price with them. It is not only boring, but also the first time that John Carmack and colleagues do not seem to belong to the frontline of technology.

That Rage would be a first person shooter of the old school also has its charms, but only to a certain limit. When the enemies that carry coveted weapon will not lose them when he died, but once the ammunition, it is immensely annoying. More remarkable than disturbing is that the surroundings are totally unaffected, no matter how much machinegun they suffer. I do not expect to blow up everything, but no lasting bullet hole in the wall or a broken shot glass bottle's not unreasonable demands in 2011?

Also the AI ​​is stupid of classic cut. What could be the fantastic firefights are usually quite one-sided stories where opponents ducking and running around like dizzy chicken alternately, instead of putting pressure on my injured hero and his dwindling magazine. The height of the war inefficiency arises when the enemy soldiers at the sight of a grenade will be incapable of anything but to take cover and wait for the blast, even when I'm standing right next to the machine gun trigger in the bottom.

Most weapons have four different ammunition types, with different application or strengths. For a modest weapon pistol and shotgun, the difference may be quite enormous for those who find, buy or build their own super ammo.
Developer's background also makes it hard not to get stuck on the fact that Rage has no deathmatch, capture the flag and the like. Multiplayer is instead in the form of a co-op campaign and a set of auto racing, with equal parts of missiles and wide rack. Chasing checkpoints, set your sights and take the curves at the highest speed has its charm. The bet type is not, however, a substantive depth and is not something that will steal too many hours for too many.

Cooperation State, however, feels very right. Anyone who spent any significant length of time for shooting murderous mutants to smithereens know it is a pleasure that is suitable for two. But working in the law does not prevent an entertaining contest moments present themselves, then just all achievements are translated into points in a morbid sort of meta-duel. We must therefore work better than the other. Another point with these completely independent tasks is that they tell little bits of back story to the main adventure.

The feeling after eleven hours of solo campaign, seasoned with multiplayer and some replayability, is that Rage lacks that extra touch that top games have. There are no boring scenes to speak of and tempo variation is really good. I'm also fond of how the courses design is linear and dense, but with a constant illusion of transparency. But always there are small things that drag down the overall impression. Pledged enemies and graphics blur is obviously there. Lack of weapon balance, and a limited amount of bosses also helps to nail down the grade at a relatively low eight. It is especially a shame considering that the negative aspects often feels unnecessary, rather than as fundamentally flawed.

Duxxy3

The very early reviews seem ok so far but i'm still not buying at $60. I don't and never have supported $60 PC games.

Wallach said:
I went over this earlier in the thread. Carmack stays current; nvidia and AMD, not quite as much. The GPU manufacturers have slacked off regarding OpenGL 4.2; these drivers should have been out already.

Thought Rage used DX?

Karak

Vire said:
Also the AI ​​is stupid of classic cut. What could be the fantastic firefights are usually quite one-sided stories where opponents ducking and running around like dizzy chicken alternately, instead of putting pressure on my injured hero and his dwindling magazine. The height of the war inefficiency arises when the enemy soldiers at the sight of a grenade will be incapable of anything but to take cover and wait for the blast, even when I'm standing right next to the machine gun trigger in the bottom.
I reread this.

This is NOT my experience with the game. I guess everyones version of "pressure" is different, but they don't ever run around needlessly they are instead relentless. The way he wrote it sounds just a tad like he had difficulty and wanted them to slow down. Which I can attest to, but its not the games fault if you can't adjust to an enemy who doesn't want to get shot in their damn face:)

And grenades thrown cause enemies to run for cover and if one of them DOESN'T see where you tossed the grenade they can end up running into the corner it is in. In fact that was one of the WOW moments. NO god ai. Just smart routines.

It actually made me watch how they were moving, they react very well to sound but a tossed grenade when they are hiding can easily end up with them dying as they don't know where it landed unless they are standing and looking. To me thats awesome. Something that I grow very tired of in other games with enemies known where all grenades are all the time.

Lol, people are banging their heads together over a pair of gloves? Come on, I'm 4 hours into the game, and the PS3 version is as sharp as a tack. No blurriness whatsoever; I would say the IQ is up there with GOW3. Also with the way the tech for this game affects both consoles there's no way I would trust screenshots to solely judge parity between the two. I know Karak says he has both versions and played them side by side, but he also said the PS3 version has texture loading even when moving forward, something I have not noticed at all, only when turning do I see it. Not saying that he's lying, but that some are gonna notice certain things with this game, and some are not. Is the 360 version sharper? Possibly, but I bet it is so minute as to be barely perceptible unless you can play both at the same time somehow. So those on the fence about the PS3 version; visually do not worry, it looks great. Now performance-wise I would wait for a professional comparison before judging, simple as that.

Karak

perineumlick said:
Lol, people are banging their heads together over a pair of gloves? Come on, I'm 4 hours into the game, and the PS3 version is as sharp as a tack. No blurriness whatsoever; I would say the IQ is up there with GOW3. Also with the way the tech for this game affects both consoles there's no way I would trust screenshots to solely judge parity between the two. I know Karak says he has both versions and played them side by side, but he also said the PS3 version has texture loading even when moving forward, something I have not noticed at all, only when turning do I see it. Not saying that he's lying, but that some are gonna notice certain things with this game, and some are not. Is the 360 version sharper? Possibly, but I bet it is so minute as to be barely perceptible unless you can play both at the same time somehow. So those on the fence about the PS3 version; visually do not worry, it looks great. Now performance-wise I would wait for a professional comparison before judging, simple as that.

Well honestly I am not the only one who noticed the slight texture thrashing and bluriness. As I stated clearly it is very likely, as some other games before that the version of PS3 may be the issue or otherwise and as I made really clear, though noticeable its not in any way shape or form a killer. Hell as I stated earlier, my different 360's have had issues with some games in fact. Halo 3 was one of them. But side to side of course you will notice easier, I mean cause they are side to side is all.

In fact my first post was because someone said THEY were a nitpicker and wanted to know:) And when someone asks I am not going to hold back...but I also wont hold back with the awesomeness that this game delivers.

I am the one championing buying either dude:)

But I think we are in agreement.
And just so everyone in the cheap seats gets it...
The game is awesome no matter which version you buy. But if you ask me what my side to side comparison showed, I will tell you. If you ask me how fun it is I will tell you:)

Sadly from Gamereactor, it looks like the PC has a couple issues with the streaming as well, which I was not happy to read.

Pesonally I don't even think a professional comparison even really needs to be made. It looks wonderful.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This has probably already been covered but weren't Borderlands and Rage announced around the same time? I'm interested in Rage from an SP point of view.

Solo

Its kind of funny that Carmack could have avoided the Borderlands comparisons had he loosened his grasp on his small team mantra a few years earlier than he did.

Ryan_IGN

For those asking, EGM did their review on a 360. I was there.

Our review (OXM) will be going up when the embargo lifts in 3 hours. Obviously, we also reviewed it on 360. :)

bounchfx said:
damn straight I want some weapons more powerful than others !

how can you say something like this when there's no competitive mp?

No kidding, seems like a very odd thing to complain about in a SP focused game

Karak

Ryan_OXM said:
For those asking, EGM did their review on a 360. I was there.

Our review (OXM) will be going up when the embargo lifts in 3 hours. Obviously, we also reviewed it on 360. :)

Excited to see what you guys thought.

Vire

bounchfx said:
damn straight I want some weapons more powerful than others !

how can you say something like this when there's no competitive mp?
I think you are misinterpreting what he meant.

He was saying that the Boomerang/EMP were so powerful that there was little incentive to use the other weapons. At least that's my impression I got from the context of the review.

Shawsie64

Banned
Just bought Rage boxed from Play-asia.. Got the PC version, there was an Asia Region and US region.. Will the Asian one work on my PC? I'm confused =/

Im in Australia

Karak

Vire said:
I think you are misinterpreting what he meant.

He was saying that the Boomerang/EMP were so powerful that there was little incentive to use the other weapons. At least that's my impression I got from the context of the review.
cough...pistol compared to every other weapon its like hitting someone with a fucking wet liquorice stick...cough cough.

M.W.

Sweet, Newegg shipped my copy at noon today. I hope it gets here by Wednesday. The EGM review was nice.

Salsa

Solo said:
Game is out in 3 hours! About 20 or so til I get to play though :(

Vaqi2.png

why do i always get hurt by the ones i love

specially when they seem to think my country is in Europe or some crap

Top Bottom