• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm really stunned by IGN's negative comments about the pointless storyline. Video game stories are usually quite good and engaging. What a shame!

Karak

bloodydrake said:
I just don't agree it seems pretty obvious John Carmack's absolutely delighted to be back in the Technical directors chair doing what he loves.. Someone that clicked with them and had great story telling abilities would be awesome..not Levine himself but someone who's got that kind of gameplay vision.
Carmack himself has made it pretty clear that he will always put gameplay above story. Very clear actually, time and again in interviews both video and audio and he runs the place. Hell, great division has occurred at Id due to various issues where people didn't see his vision. The person wouldn't last. Good or bad that's Id.

However, I don't find the story bad or anything. Its just passable and frankly you are indeed ALWAYS doing stuff! In an awesome looking world, fun stuff...and causing people to die...it rocks.

Chiggs said:
I'm really stunned by IGN's negative comments about the pointless storyline. Video game stories are usually quite good and engaging. What a shame!
The story just isn't Oscar quality like GTA IV was.

Karak said:
It is. And it does.
Yup. Game looks fucking incredible. First game to pass Uncharted 2 IMO.

M.W.

I'm sure he didn't do many of the side missions or anything extra so he could get his review out on time. 10-12 seems a bit short.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Geoff9920 said:
@IGN Review: Who knew story was such a big deal?
Of course, why'd you think MW2 got a 9.5?

Vire

Marcellus Wallace said:
I'm sure he didn't do many of the side missions or anything extra so he could get his review out on time. 10-12 seems a bit short.
Nope, the GameReactor review cited the same length.

Karak

DevelopmentArrested said:
Yup. Game looks fucking incredible. First game to pass Uncharted 2 IMO.
I find them hard to compare. But I would say...finding them hard to compare is the best comparison there is when you think about it.

I can't wait to jump to the PC version and see how that handles. Besides the wife stole my TV to watch Castle. Damn.

About side missions and length. 10 hours is the main game without many of the side missions. I am pretty quick at shooters and I am at around 9 and am not near the end from what I can tell. But I do all side missions.
Or somehow I am just slow at this game:(

EDIT: Nope looks like not all side missions done. However, I bet if someone sprinted through they could do it in shorter times. That's one issue with an FPS I guess.

Postman

Banned
Too many games now days rely on long drawn out cut scenes and DRAMA. I for one am glad some developers still like to build games around game play and not story.

Stallion Free said:
Is that console footage in the IGN review video? If so, holy fuck, everything else just got destroyed.
THAT SHIT LOOKS GOOD
zN9mZ.gif

Karak

Now I can't wait until you guys get to the main town and THEN you will see graphics. That's when I went wow on a whole other scale.

As I said before, fucking clean looking game. I am glad IGN liked the characters looks so much. Agreed that their look is their personality. Especially the the 2nd miniboss.

M.W.

Vire said:
Nope, the GameReactor review cited the same length.

What difficulty are they playing on? Did they do any side missions, all the races, play all the mini games, etc...?

eshwaaz

I just read the IGN review, and there's nothing mentioned that I find disappointing. What I want out of Rage is meaty, satisfying combat, great enemy hit/death animations and gorgeous, varied environments. A great story would have been icing, but it's not what's important for me with this particular game. Very excited to finally play this tomorrow.

jett

D-Member
Luthos said:
For some reason Rage has always confused me on if it's cel-shaded or not.

It has a certain painted look thanks to how the engine works(texture artists can paint wherever and however they like and the performance won't suffer one bit). No tilesets.

Marcellus Wallace said:
What difficulty are they playing on? Did they do any side missions, all the races, play all the mini games, etc...?
10-12 main story sounds about right. I certainly don't expect reviewers to play every race and mini-game.

Derrick01

Banned
Vire said:
There's a difference between having a good story and having something that compels you to continue forward. If the tasks that you are asked to do have no greater meaning, or seem mundane, I could see it becoming a problem as mentioned in the review. Especially if the ending is as anticlimactic as they make it out to be.

This is basically what I say when the topic comes up about Nintendo games being stale or whatever and one of the negatives is lack of story. It's always the same thing "game stories lol". Most games I play have stories that are decent enough to keep me interested, that's all I require. Not every game needs to be planescape torment for me to get into it.

Truespeed

Vire said:
7.5 Presentation
Incredibly high production values throughout. Storyline is weak, few memorable personalities, no satisfying ending, game starts to drag toward the end.
10 Graphics
One of the best looking games ever made.
8.5 Sound
Great gun sound effects and a high quality soundtrack and voice acting.
9.0 Gameplay
Excellent shooting sequences and a surprisingly good car combat mode.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
A lot of content in the single-player mode, plus co-op missions and a vehicle combat competitive multiplayer mode.

There you have it. It's a 10.

Grayman

my copy shipped today. Usually I DD(especially since this is steam works anyways removing an future idvantage) but I got it for $40.

Derrick01 said:
This is basically what I say when the topic comes up about Nintendo games being stale or whatever and one of the negatives is lack of story. It's always the same thing "game stories lol". Most games I play have stories that are decent enough to keep me interested, that's all I require. Not every game needs to be planescape torment for me to get into it.
But you do see that not everyone thinks this way. Take Bayonetta for example, I could give absolutely zero fucks for that story, but the gameplay was good enough to get me through the game multiple times and it never became stale. However, the same can be said for Nintendo games as well. Not every game needs a story, but if they try to rely on a story and it's not interesting, then that's the problem, and that seems to be the problem from, IGN's review of, Rage.

bounchfx

Truespeed said:
There you have it. It's a 10.

it really does have some of the best graphics I've ever seen. the PAX live demo sold that to me within those 40 minutes. hell, within 5 minutes. blows my mind how many people here think it looks 'not good'.

Zomg, less than 2 hours to go. I WILL BE MASHING THE FUCK OUT OF STEAM PLAY BUTTON TONIGHT TO GET THIS STARTED! Even though it will run like shit on my pc.

Wallach

CoilShot said:
Not to beat a dead horse but any verdict on differences between ps3 and xbox360 versions yet?

The LoT comparison was put up earlier and to me they looked incredibly similar. Maybe wait for the DF article if you think the LoT one isn't good enough (I wouldn't blame you).

Derrick01

Banned
NullPointer said:
OK, now I understand the Borderlands comparisons.

The "ending" in borderlands was one of the biggest kick in the nuts I've ever had in a game. They may as well have had a giant troll face on the last enemy as he dies. Doubt Rage could top that

I really don't agree with the graphics being a 10. It looks awesome at times, but the texture streaming, and the texture quality, knocks it down a peg to me. Also the lack of real-time lighting puts it behind Uncharted 2, Killzone 3, and Gears 3 to me. If Rage had a comparable lighting engine it would melt everything else. Yeah I'll get flamed, and called blind, whatever, but I gotta call it like I see it.

Salsa

perineumlick said:
I really don't agree with the graphics being a 10. It looks awesome at times, but the texture streaming, and the texture quality, knocks it down a peg to me. Also the lack of real-time lighting puts it behind Uncharted 2, Killzone 3, and Gears 3 to me. If Rage had a comparable lighting engine it would melt everything else. Yeah I'll get flamed, and called blind, whatever, but I gotta call it like I see it.

im gonna set your blind eyes on fire with flames!

Top Bottom