• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

perineumlick said:
I really don't agree with the graphics being a 10. It looks awesome at times, but the texture streaming, and the texture quality, knocks it down a peg to me. Also the lack of real-time lighting puts it behind Uncharted 2, Killzone 3, and Gears 3 to me. If Rage had a comparable lighting engine it would melt everything else. Yeah I'll get flamed, and called blind, whatever, but I gotta call it like I see it.
It probably is because of its artistic strengths just like kirby epic yarn
edit: plus 60 fps

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
perineumlick said:
I really don't agree with the graphics being a 10. It looks awesome at times, but the texture streaming, and the texture quality, knocks it down a peg to me. Also the lack of real-time lighting puts it behind Uncharted 2, Killzone 3, and Gears 3 to me. If Rage had a comparable lighting engine it would melt everything else. Yeah I'll get flamed, and called blind, whatever, but I gotta call it like I see it.
None of those games run at 60fps on a console. I can't stand 30fps shooters and I pretty much stopped buying them.

Salsa

Wonder if its worth making a gaf steam group for car combat and co-op

dont even know if i'll be playing with you guys cause of ping

~Kinggi~

Banned
perineumlick said:
Real-time lighting is only a means to an end. If that can be faked with something nobody should give a shit. In fact in Rage's case faking it causes the performance to be double that of the competition. Ill have to see how bad the streaming issues are on the 360 though.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Vire said:
That is one of the best easter eggs I've seen in quite some time.
I agree. I wish they included a whole level.

Smash88

Banned
I'm not a fan of the not being able to choose my own graphic settings for this game. I'll pass until someone makes a mod for this game so I can choose max settings.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW that easter egg :lol

Dizzy-4U

80% of the download done and the client went bananas back to 0%. Luckily, I read about this problem here and I made a backup at 12gb just in case.

Stop releasing stupid ass hats for two days and fix your shit Valve, please?

SapientWolf said:
None of those games run at 60fps on a console. I can't stand 30fps shooters and I pretty much stopped buying them.
And none of those games have as much immersion breaking texture streaming as Rage. It will vary from person to person; some won't mind it and some will. I just found it illusion breaking, especially with how detailed the game world is. 60fps will be enough for some to claim it best looking game ever, I guess. It does add to it's look.

Salsa

Dizzy-4U said:
80% of the download done and the client went bananas back to 0%. Luckily, I read about this problem here and I made a backup at 12gb just in case.

Stop releasing stupid ass hats for two days and fix your shit Valve, please?

are you in Argentina right now? getting the 7th release date as well?

Sanic

SalsaShark said:
Wonder if its worth making a gaf steam group for car combat and co-op

dont even know if i'll be playing with you guys cause of ping

I think it is. Would prefer to play with you guys over randoms.

Smash88

Banned
When you guys are playing the game, can you tell me if there is an ini for the game?

I don't want to run what the game thinks will be fine @ 60fps.... iD has lost my respect in not letting me choose what graphic option I want.

Shurs

perineumlick said:

~Kinggi~ said:
Real-time lighting is only a means to an end. If that can be faked with something nobody should give a shit. In fact in Rage's case faking it causes the performance to be double that of the competition. Ill have to see how bad the streaming issues are on the 360 though.
Real-time lighting and texture quality was all the difference in Gears 3. I know Rage had to trade off some things, and they went with performance, and 60fps. And what they pulled off is phenomenal, no doubt. There are no console games out there, save for GOW3, that pulls off these types of visuals with that frame rate. I just hate the texture streaming, is all.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmm...I sort of find story pretty important these days to get me through a single-player experience. Especially if the multi-player sounds like something that's just tacked on. I'll wait for more reviews but I'll probably end up passing on this.

perineumlick said:
And none of those games have as much immersion breaking texture streaming as Rage. It will vary from person to person; some won't mind it and some will. I just found it illusion breaking, especially with how detailed the game world is. 60fps will be enough for some to claim it best looking game ever, I guess. It does add to it's look.
each of those games do things better than Rage, and worse than Rage. if a ten means technical perfection, what is that? is it 30 fps? that's a rhetorical question of course. i don't think you can come up with a set of rules and say 'if it has X it can't get a ten for graphics'.

'graphics' include the art and the technology. i see no reason why a game with texture pop can't get a ten... unless we go on that whole notion of 'everything starts with a ten and every flaw is subtracted from that'.

that notion is even crazier than giving a numerical score out of ten to everything that goes into getting graphics on screen.

few games have impressed me this gen as much as Halo 3. people look at me like i'm mad whenever i say it, but the lighting in that game is unsurpassed and i'm a sucker for lighting. for me it more than made up for the lack of AA and the hit the IQ took by scaling up the game from a lower resolution.

but then Mirrors Edge is absolutely gorgeous, and it too has pre baked lighting... so you know what, both can be done well.

Salsa

JaseC said:
Use a VPN. The game doesn't unlock here until the 8th, but fuck that.

then again i need to finish Space Marine

but not like there's too much of a story there.. could just jump right in later

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark said:
then again i need to finish Space Marine

but not like there's too much of a story there.. could just jump right in later

Yes, you can, and you will!

plagiarize said:
few games have impressed me this gen as much as Halo 3. people look at me like i'm mad whenever i say it, but the lighting in that game is unsurpassed and i'm a sucker for lighting. for me it more than made up for the lack of AA and the hit the IQ took by scaling up the game from a lower resolution.
The lighting in Halo 3 has been surpassed by Crysis 2 thats a fact, maybe you like BUngie implementation of the HDR but thats it.

The texture detail pop in is a visual braker, to what extent is up to the person. But its too close, is like having a magnifying glass close to the character.

Glassboy

After watching that video review I don't understand how people could complain that the game is derivative of fallout and borderlands. I'm not just talking about the tech either. Artistically, it blows the other two games out of the water. Sure borderlands had a cool cel shaded thing going for it, but that game and fallout 3 were so damn sparse from what I remember, so after a awhile they became boring to look at. Rage looks dense. I don't care if it is truly open world or not, I will just be happy to have a post apocalyptic with good shooting mechanics. Bring it on

Glassboy

plagiarize said:

but then Mirrors Edge is absolutely gorgeous, and it too has pre baked lighting... so you know what, both can be done well.
I can't honestly agree with you on halo 3. To me, I thought it was underwhelming apart from a few neat tricks. Mirrors Edge on the other hand still looks pretty damn good, largely in part to the excellent art design.

Smash88

Banned
delta25 said:
PC gaf don't forget to post your initial performance impressions.

thanks

It won't matter though...

You can't choose your settings, the game chooses whatever setting is best for your computer to run @ 60fps. Performance impressions are moot.

Refreshment.01 said:
The lighting in Halo 3 has been surpassed by Crysis 2 thats a fact, maybe you like BUngie implementation of the HDR but thats it.

The texture detail pop in is a visual braker, to what extent is up to the person. But its too close, is like having a magnifying glass close to the character.
That is what I liked about it. That hdr was incredible. Maybe it required too much horse power this gen, but I really hope to see it make a come back next gen.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm sitting here with a retail copy for PC and I can't even install the game until it's released on Steam? I just want to pre-install! Ugh.

Smash88 said:
It won't matter though...

You can't choose your settings, the game chooses whatever setting is best for your computer to run @ 60fps. Performance impressions are moot.

Wait...what? Haven't been following thread, but are you serious?

That is the most ridiculous...I don't even...

Derrick01

Banned
DarkChronic said:
Wait...what? Haven't been following thread, but are you serious?

That is the most ridiculous...I don't even...

Yup it's been known for quite a while now. I don't even really care if it finally picks the best settings, it's not the route PC gaming should go. It should be there for casuals, but we should always have final say if we want to.

Gvaz

Banned
Not really a friend, just some random dude on the interbutts

Overall, 6/10. 11 hour playthrough on hard with moderately high completion.

If you can accept its many flaws - generic shooter on rails, job board = even more location reuse!, wingsticks being way better than any gun, all of ~8 enemy types - it's entertaining enough as shooters go.

M.W.

soulassssns said:
My 360 copy has since shipped from Newegg but tracking has not been updated though. Sigh.... really want to play this game.

I have tracking from Newegg. Estimated delivery: 10/6!

Man

So OpenGL 4.2 is really, really confirmed for Rage?

edit: I seriously doubt it. Can't find a source anywhere. And it's so recent with Rage focusing only on DX9 era effects anyhow.

Top Bottom