• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Zelent

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is severely overrated, and is the third worst Zelda game is the entire mainline series (behind Zelda II and Skyward Sword).

Also... Bethesda has made every property they own worse than their original:
- Ruined the Fallout series is every way imaginable
- Dumbed down the level design in Doom. Neglected the modding community. Removed permanent corpses (Why!?)
- Turned Wolfenstein into a looter-shooter
- Commander Keen...

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Ymmv, I feel that Sonic Adventure 2 (other than S3&K) is absolutely the best Sonic game ever made, and is one of the best 3D platformers to exist.

Gravity Rush is the best new IP series to come out this gen.

B_Boss

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is, hands down, one of the best Zelda games ever made to me. I love every second of it and I flip it at least twice a year on my 3DS. I might also add I never enjoyed OoT (Ocarina Of Time) lol. I mean after LTTP (Link To The Past) it was very difficult to appreciate the 3D element but ultimately it was not nearly as good to me as the previous Zelda games even though I am fully aware of it being a masterpiece just not the masterpiece that I love.

Last edited:
I think Dark Souls series and dark souls like games are very overrated. I just don't get what's so fun in having a shitty save system with no checkpoints or a quicksave option.
I tried ds, I was stuck on a boss for an hour, and when I finally beat it, I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment. I felt the fight could have been done in 10 minutes with a proper save system.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think Dark Souls series and dark souls like games are very overrated. I just don't get what's so fun in having a shitty save system with no checkpoints or a quicksave option.
I tried ds, I was stuck on a boss for an hour, and when I finally beat it, I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment. I felt the fight could have been done in 10 minutes with a proper save system.
The Monster Hunter franchise incredibly over rated. I've bought them over the years only because of the hype and I am constantly disappointed. I just don't get the appeal.
“Overrated” is such a overused words in these forums. Just because you personally don’t see appeal it doesn’t make it “overrated”, in fact games doesn’t try to appeal to everybody are the best games out there.

Lanrutcon

Hexen > Doom
Kojima and Naughty Dog games are beautiful but painfully boring.

Which Hexen? the first one? Wow. That's certainly a unique opinion. I got the impression Hexen 1's confusing level design puzzle portal hopping is almost universally hated. Hexen 2 ain't bad though. The second Heretic game however, is excellent.

Ar¢tos

Which Hexen? the first one? Wow. That's certainly a unique opinion. I got the impression Hexen 1's confusing level design puzzle portal hopping is almost universally hated. Hexen 2 ain't bad though. The second Heretic game however, is excellent.
Concept in general. I preferred Hexen gameplay (spells/weapons vs guns).

Daxter32jak

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is severely overrated, and is the third worst Zelda game is the entire mainline series (behind Zelda II and Skyward Sword).

Also... Bethesda has made every property they own worse than their original:
- Ruined the Fallout series is every way imaginable
- Dumbed down the level design in Doom. Neglected the modding community. Removed permanent corpses (Why!?)
- Turned Wolfenstein into a looter-shooter
- Commander Keen...

Dude I agree with everything you said here, especially the Breath of the Wild part.

Also:

Whoever at Squre Enix or Disney thought it was a good idea to make ppl wait more than 10 years for Kingdom Hearts 3 is an idiot

The gaming industry’s push for forcing diversity in games is pathetic

Xbox’s controller trumps PlayStation in every way imaginable

When the ppl were nicknaming the Xbox One as the Bone I low key laughed my ass off lol

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Diablo 3 is the best Diablo game and I say this as someone who started playing Diablo 1 and 2 in early 2000s.

“Overrated” is such a overused words in these forums. Just because you personally don’t see appeal it doesn’t make it “overrated”, in fact games doesn’t try to appeal to everybody are the best games out there.

Well, the word "opinion" is in the thread title isn't it? So....isn't that what we are talking about? our "opinions"?

Danjin44

Well, the word "opinion" is in the thread title isn't it? So....isn't that what we are talking about? our "opinions"?
Its fine if you personally don't like the game but calling it "overrated" you basically saying "other people shouldn't liking the game I don't like".

Its fine if you personally don't like the game but calling it "overrated" you basically saying "other people shouldn't liking the game I don't like".

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, my original post said I thought they were overrated which I clearly meant as an opinion piece. Just like you shared your opinion that those games are the best out there which I don't agree with personally. Again, I thought this thread was for opinions, which I shared. We can agree to disagree here my friend. :)

Ar¢tos

Diablo 3 is the best Diablo game and I say this as someone who started playing Diablo 1 and 2 in early 2000s.
643.png

Diablo 1 = 2 = 3 to me.
I didn't enjoy any too much or too little, they were all just ok.

wolywood

- Even the best, most critically acclaimed FPS are boring and repetitive.
- Mass produced physical game media (discs and boxes) is incredibly wasteful and terrible for the environment, I'm glad they're slowly but surely being phased out

Last edited by a moderator:

MDSLKTR

Sony had a shit 2019 year.
They lost a shit ton of past and upcoming exclusives. Gears 5 and Outer worlds (1st party MS studio game whether you like it or not) have a higher meta than anything Sony released this year. Days Gone is the chink in the armor of their 1st party studios. Medievil is laughable when compared to the R&C remake efforts. Concrete genie was forgotten the day of its release. The best game they released this year is blood and truth.

Carna

Banned
Sonic allstars racing transformed, is the best Sonic game and kart racer this decade to me.

Most remakes I seen are kinda unambitious or are confusing (ff7 remake being episodic) the crash/Spyro/re2 remake are the only ones I seen excuted well to be excited about.

Speaking of, I want to be excited. But my gut tells me the ff7 remake will not turn out well.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Launch game.
Game loads.
CLICK TO START
game loads more to menu screen.

WHY? WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU JUST LOAD A CLICK TO PROGRESS SCREEN?

It's a minor thing but pisses me off so much, I can't just let a game load while I go get something to drink or to the toilet without having to wait more.

Why the fuck is this a thing? Who's the idiot who conceived it?

Last edited:

Old Retro

I was astonished to learn Bloodborne and the Dark Souls games have such a huge fanbase. An hour into each of those games and I was fucking done. The month after I bought Bloodborne, it was free on Playstation plus :goog_mad: Also surprised I got a decent amout back from Gameflop when I sold them back Dark Souls.

Carna

Banned
The Sonic games from the series's "dark age" I consider bad is 06/secret rings. Otherwise. I enjoyed alot of them. But now, I think 2010-now is the real dark age with three exceptions (colors, generations, and all star racing transformed) and I will not buy another retro-inspired game or boost-inspired game.

Danjin44

The best announcement Nintendo could make at this point in time is a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster for Switch.
I would LOOOVE to see that, Uprising is my all time favourite 3DS game, I even Sakurai take a break from Smash so he make sequel to Uprising.

Miles708

Most of side-quests in The Witcher 3 are not that interesting, they always end with an awkward fight, the rewards are never worth it, and they just "end" in a very unsatisfactory way.

Last edited:

stitch1

Most of side-quests in The Witcher 3 are not that interesting, they always end with an awkward fight, the rewards are never worth it, and they just "end" in a very unsatisfactory way.
You're not wrong. Although, I do enjoy the side missions I think overall I still prefer the way Elder Scrolls does side quests better. But Witcher's main story is still pretty great.

Miles708

You're not wrong. Although, I do enjoy the side missions I think overall I still prefer the way Elder Scrolls does side quests better. But Witcher's main story is still pretty great.
Your post actually gives me the perfect excuse for another controversial one: I think Skyrim is a much better game than The Witcher 3.

The world is much more interesting to lose yourself in (most of Velen in TW3 is, basically, a dump), there is a staggering amount of content, and the game finds ways to surprise you even after 200 hours (and I've played it vanilla). There is always something, always, everywhere.

The Witcher 3 has incredibly more interesting characters and story compared to Skyrim (just for the record, i really like TW3), but I think everything else is definitely worse.

Last edited:
Dark Souls and similar games are probably fine games but they just aren't for me.

4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons was a pretty good tabletop war game that I had fun with even if it's not the best DnD edition.

Carna

Banned
People who think the adventure games in the Sonic series, were horrible transitions into 3D. are probably just Nintendo fanboys who wanted Sonic to copy Mario in 3D. or just can't handle a platformer that isn't a basic jumping game that follows the mario/banjo/crash formula of 3D. and quite frankly anyone who uses the momentum physics argument as that's the sole defactor as a criticism towards the adventure games obviously haven't played them or doesn't appreciate the level design and thought/care put into them, also trying to pretend the series as a whole isn't about spectacle AND flow, is delusional.

*Insert badly drawn mspaint picture of Sonic here*

Carna

Banned
I am not excited for the PS5, primarily a PlayStation type of gamer. and looking from those rumors. Sony is set on releasing another PS3-tier mistake. I would like to be proven wrong.

Carna

Banned
I hate faux nostalgia games, 2d 16-bit crap, or ps1 wannabe horror games. I only like the ones made by Japanese people.

Anyone who hates Kingdom Hearts, probably thinks there's another action JRPG with a better combat system. okay. name another game that pulls off (Block >>> Parry) well. because I don't see any other options.

FF7 remake demo is decent, but the scorpion fight gives me a indication that boss fights in the full game will not be fun to fight.

Top Bottom