• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

GV82

I’m mostly bored of modern day fps games now, I think all big AAA developers should add a optional 3rd person toggle like battlefront/fallout so I can pretend they are 3rd person shooters, if you don’t like 3rd person you just stay in 1st, give us who’d rather a 3rd person the chance, it’s 2020.

I also don’t like the excuse well I see in first person in real life, so it makes sense to play games in first person, yeah but dude I don’t play Grand Theft Auto because I’m a criminal in real life or I don’t play Pacman because I go chasing ghosts in a dark room.

Hey at least the above opinion is optional, I mean you could well be a Criminal for all I know and you might be jacked up on Pills chasing ghosts in a dark room,
I’m not going to judge, just give me my 3rd person optional toggle.

That’s my Controversial Opinion.

Last edited:

Airola

I’m mostly bored of modern day fps games now, I think all big AAA developers should add a optional 3rd person toggle like battlefront/fallout so I can pretend they are 3rd person shooters, if you don’t like 3rd person you just stay in 1st, give us who’d rather a 3rd person the chance, it’s 2020.

I also don’t like the excuse well I see in first person in real life, so it makes sense to play games in first person, yeah but dude I don’t play Grand Theft Auto because I’m a criminal in real life or I don’t play Pacman because I go chasing ghosts in a dark room.

Hey at least the above opinion is optional, I mean you could well be a Criminal for all I know and you might be jacked up on Pills chasing ghosts in a dark room,
I’m not going to judge, just give me my 3rd person optional toggle.

That’s my Controversial Opinion.

Hey, I was bored with fps games right after Duke Nukem 3D was released. Used to love to play that game with toggling the map screen on and moving around looking at the level from top down view. Never got anywhere obviously but found out it's more interesting for me that way than playing it in first person.

EDIT:
For some reason though when I bought Fallout 3 I was absolutely sure that I would only play it on 3rd person mode, but ended up changing it back to 1st person even though I generally like 3rd person more than 1st person. Maybe the 3rd person mode in that game just was that bad.

Last edited:
You've never played God if War 2019 then...

God of War is boring and that's coming from someone who loved Everybody's gone to the Rapture.

I am utterly flabbergasted at the popular consensus that this is the game of the generation. The visuals and the acting is great, The story is predictable & about not much else other then a cold moody father slowly bonding with his influenced son & the game is another mutation of thepointless, bloated open world cancer that's ravaged all AAA titles this generation and makes game 3x times longer than nessacary to complete just to give you a sense of "scope" or "scale".

You're right about everything else apart from the convulted and poorly presented story.

Anything that requires me to sit through cutscenes THEN enter an ingame data log to comprehend the rest of the story is just straight up bullshit.
I have played god of war 2019, it blew me away but i admit i didnt finish it cos the appeal did fizzle out (Much like witcher 3 and TLOU)

Resident evil games have always wanted to be action based RE1 is the only slow spook house game in the series.
IF you played every spider man game until friend or foe you played Spider man ps4 10 years early.
Dark souls/ souls games are not hard
BR games have way to much down time
japan has always been light years ahead in game design compared to the US.
Wicther 3 has a better combat system and world then skyrim

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Most of Sony's AAA titles are hot garbage, but a lot of the lesser tier titles are great in terms of gameplay, innovation, or both. Also Kojima is something akin to a plague--stealth was the worst thing to happen to games since the industry started slotting games into "genres." Now walking simulator seems more banal and honestly, Death Stranding seems like some kind of brilliant commentary on the state of game development. I like to think Kojima's saying that people will eat anything up so long as it has pretty graphics and a big name behind it, even something as idiotic as a game that focuses on the most boring aspect of 3D gaming--walking a character around and dealing with inventory management.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

I'm glad Ff7 is in multiple parts and each one is full priced.
I'd gladly pay $60x5 for a full Ff7 remake, even if it takes the next 10 years.
People spend 60 bucks on the same cod/madden/fifa garbage every year sight unseen and no one says shit.

Audioout

I absolutely hated Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core. The gameplay was okay but I hated the story with a passion. I rolled my eyes hard at the ending cinematic.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm glad Ff7 is in multiple parts and each one is full priced.
I'd gladly pay $60x5 for a full Ff7 remake, even if it takes the next 10 years.
People spend 60 bucks on the same cod/madden/fifa garbage every year sight unseen and no one says shit.
Because licences.
FFR is kinda dirty.

Great Hair

Banned
Microsoft stole Sony´s CELL and didn´t pay for it. Well technically it was IBM after being asked, who gave them "a free look-see". And still managed to fuck it up (in the long run).

What if Microsoft deliberately sold broken 360s in 2005? with too much thermal paste and a "floaty" cpu cooler. What if they thought "hmm, lets jump the gun, lets create a gap with our machine by releasing it this year (2005) lacking HDMI, HD, WIFI etc. and force the player to upgrade next year to the real 360 or if these kiosk 360s brake even before 2006?"

It didn´t cost them much. Be in the news, jump the gun, be the first, have everyone talk about you for 365 days, get free pr about the ngen machine, games, make fun of the rival and in general establish the brand with in that year.

They sold like 9mill? and many games + xbox live in 2005 versus a mere $1bill. in repairs. 2005 is the year that kept Xbox alive.

FF7 wasn't that good.
Characters were boring, story was predictable, combat system was outdated, the entire Materia stuff was stupid and only added more grinding, (some) summons took way too long and broke what litle rythm the combat could have had, pre-rendered environments were super ugly, loading times were laughable. Only redeeming point is the soundtrack (and that Sephiroth killed that girl, my GOD she was annoying).

More and more realistic violence in games as graphics continue to become more realistic should become less and less socially acceptable but it won’t be because games have had killing ‘since the beginning’. I felt like a murdering scum bag in RDR2.

robor

With pleasure.

First and foremost, the Lunar Software website is still fully operational and active. Second, the Routine game website is still fully operational and active. Even the official general inquiries e-mail is still active. Question, why pay to maintain these URL domains if the game is "dead"? What is the logic in wasting money on keeping these sites alive for a "dead' game?

Thirdly, I noticed that on Mick Gordon's twitter profile, he lists Routine one of the major franchises/games he worked on. Every other game in that list is shipped and cleared...except for Routine. Why list a game that you scored for that nobody has heard? I tweeted Mick about it and he didn't respond, and I know he's read it. He's keeping silent.

Why? Because the game isn't dead, that's why.

Nymphae

Banned
With pleasure.

First and foremost, the Lunar Software website is still fully operational and active. Second, the Routine game website is still fully operational and active. Even the official general inquiries e-mail is still active. Question, why pay to maintain these URL domains if the game is "dead"? What is the logic in wasting money on keeping these sites alive for a "dead' game?

Thirdly, I noticed that on Mick Gordon's twitter profile, he lists Routine one of the major franchises/games he worked on. Every other game in that list is shipped and cleared...except for Routine. Why list a game that you scored for that nobody has heard? I tweeted Mick about it and he didn't respond, and I know he's read it. He's keeping silent.

Why? Because the game isn't dead, that's why.

I hope you're right because it looked really cool.

Dane

-Exclusives do help to sell consoles, but they aren't the main selling force today, Nintendo lost its monopoly with SNES and Sony with PS3.

-There's nothing wrong liking popular games like PUBG, Fortnite or whatever, just because they are seen as "dumb people" games, they are considered great overall, not everybody have to go everytime to "deep" games.

-Kane and Lynch 2 has one of the best TPS gameplays, except for the shoddy camera.

-Resident Evil 3 is the best game of the classic trilogy, its the most polished and fun featured game.

-People who worship exclusives as the only selling point and above any multiplatform game does this because the quality of the western third party declined in this generation

-Microsoft wasn't wrong to support Kinect on the Xbox 360, it sold like hotcakes.

-Almost all Xbox 360 japanese exclusives, maybe with very few exceptions, were never on the same tier of reception of the PS2 games, in fact, there are many who were bad to mediocre.

-Bernie Stolar was mostly right, the Saturn was killed by constant meddling from SoJ to the west alongside its hard to code hardware, ordering the Dreamcast was the very thing that was done right from the start to the end, but it couldn't save the company. His mistake was giving a middle finger for 2D games in the west, but also a harsh truth is that 3D was the main thing, but still, having 2D games would help a bit.

-There's nothing wrong with Turn Based and Real Time with Pause.

-Not even much of controversial, but Ubisoft unironically manages to make western waifus.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
My opinion are games like Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Nioh, etc are a pile of shit!

Sure the games look good technically, challenging and maybe rewarding at times. The bottom line is they are just boring and frustrating to play. Sony gave me all 3 of the games mentioned free and I just don't care to play them. They remind me of Ninja Gaiden on the og Xbox. Despite these games winning game of the year awards, I do not agree with the main stream.

small_law

I thought Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 looked pretty good at Ultra settings.
Forza 7 was the one that surprised me the most. The tracks are muddy, low-poly disasters. It's truly an ugly game with garbage menus. I've been playing a lot of Horizon 4 lately and it's like is taking place on a different planet compared to Forza 7.

I'll also mention Halo 5 here. Going back and playing that game, you see every corner 343 had to cut to get that thing running at 60 frames a second.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy 2, although technically an excellent game, lacks heart and charm and overall greatness. Thereby reducing it's score to somewhere in the 7/10 territory

It's pretty forgettable. I didn't find any of the stars challenging, and if they were, they weren't fun or memorable. Didn't even desire to collect all the sprites because the game lacked something all the previous Mario adventures didn't. The galaxy felt as spacious as the real galaxy--one could feel vastly alone traveling in the Milky Way as well as in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Usually there are at least a few great moments with characters in Super Mario Games. In SMG2, none. It was entirely a collect quest and it wasn't a good one. Good enough to play and complete, but the entire way through, I was hoping for a challenge eventually. Maybe if I get to this point, it will kick up a notch I thought to myself several times. Never happened

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is borderline failure in my eyes. Story lacking. Characters lacking. Challenge lacking. Fulfilling moments nonexistent. Music was okay nothing too impressive as most Mario games usually do boast some fantastic music, SMG2 does not. Boss fights can barely recall them. All in all, I'll call it a complete flop in my book. Judging it as a game, compared to past excellent and legendary Mario games, SMG2 earns no higher than a 7.3/10 in my book

I have to say that FF4, FF6, FF7 and FF8 are the greatest Final Fantasy games. I don't remember a thing about 9 and I was so annoyed with Tidus in 10 that I wish I could forget about that game instead.
Doesn't help that after X they diverted so far from what made FF great that the series became irrelevant to most original fans.

My oil for the fire: Since Mafia 1 no other open world game told a story better.

Mendou

Banned
I know people hate console fanboysim but I think it's alright.

Have a friend who's a massive Nintendo fanboy. He makes his kids wear Nintendo pyjamas. Their t-shirts are all Mario or Zelda related. I don't know if they wear Mario underwear though I didn't ask.

His wallpapers on his mobile and desktop are Mario and Zelda respectively.

Talks about Nintendo multiple times a day. Hiss social media and our chat groups are flooded with Nintendo news by him.

He updates everyone how much the switch sells every week and how much a Nintendo exclusive sells. Also tells everyone when a game on the switch beats the Xbox and ps4 combined.

He calls up his friends to ask if they have bought a switch already when the console just launched. When a Nintendo game launches, he shows concern and asks if they have preordered the game on switch already.

He plays the switch on the bus standing up so eveyone can see him play the switch. On the train too. And he'll ask people around him to try.

His kids know every pokemon out there. He tests them. He talks about the history of Nintendo and how much money they are making all the time.

He used to hate open world games and mobile games. But now he loves them due to botw and Mario Run/fire emblem heroes and Dragalia Lost. Invested lots of money in them.

He's visited all the pokemon centres In the world and can't wait to go to Universal studios Super Nintendo World in Japan.

So yes. I think it's ok to be a fanboy. I think it's good to be so passionate about something in life.

And yes he visits the resetera Japan sales thread.

I'm just scratching the surface but typing on the mobile is exhausting lol.

As I'm typing this he's talking about pokemon sales. I'll screenshot and blur out the name before posting it.

F1Z1X8k.jpg

Now if only men today had that kind of faith and zeal in Jesus Christ.

DelireMan7

My opinion are games like Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Nioh, etc are a pile of shit!

Please don't put the great games that are the Soulborne in the same bag as Nioh. It hurts me very much.

So a bit on topic. I love with passion the "Soulborne" games but can't stand how game like Nioh, The surge and even Sekiro... are qualify of "Souls like". I see why but Souls are mainly (for me) games with strong lore and atmosphere. And so far, all the main "Souls like" do not have them.

So far the "Souls like", I have try have nothing to be call "Souls like".

checkcola

Final Fantasy 6 deserves a remake more than FF7.

I was thinking about how FF6 is the peak of spite based Final Fantasy. Suddenly, you got the game in modern combat action RPGs and I feel like charm could be lost completely. Its not as big a leap to see FF7 get the remake treatment given its original art direction. But maybe that's just me.

I'd like to see a complete/remaster version of Xenogears. That game blew my mind as a kid, but that will probably never happen. ho hum.

TLZ

Banned
I know people hate console fanboysim but I think it's alright.

Have a friend who's a massive Nintendo fanboy. He makes his kids wear Nintendo pyjamas. Their t-shirts are all Mario or Zelda related. I don't know if they wear Mario underwear though I didn't ask.

His wallpapers on his mobile and desktop are Mario and Zelda respectively.

Talks about Nintendo multiple times a day. Hiss social media and our chat groups are flooded with Nintendo news by him.

He updates everyone how much the switch sells every week and how much a Nintendo exclusive sells. Also tells everyone when a game on the switch beats the Xbox and ps4 combined.

He calls up his friends to ask if they have bought a switch already when the console just launched. When a Nintendo game launches, he shows concern and asks if they have preordered the game on switch already.

He plays the switch on the bus standing up so eveyone can see him play the switch. On the train too. And he'll ask people around him to try.

His kids know every pokemon out there. He tests them. He talks about the history of Nintendo and how much money they are making all the time.

He used to hate open world games and mobile games. But now he loves them due to botw and Mario Run/fire emblem heroes and Dragalia Lost. Invested lots of money in them.

He's visited all the pokemon centres In the world and can't wait to go to Universal studios Super Nintendo World in Japan.

So yes. I think it's ok to be a fanboy. I think it's good to be so passionate about something in life.

And yes he visits the resetera Japan sales thread.

I'm just scratching the surface but typing on the mobile is exhausting lol.

As I'm typing this he's talking about pokemon sales. I'll screenshot and blur out the name before posting it.

F1Z1X8k.jpg
If I knew someone like that I'd stop talking to him. Unless he's not normal then I'd understand. But if he thinks he's normal and keeps harassing me with all that crap I'd tell him to shove all that where the sun don't shine.

INC

Half-Life Alyx is just a boring walking simulator and corridor shooter that brings nothing new to the table

Clarissa

Banned
If I knew someone like that I'd stop talking to him. Unless he's not normal then I'd understand. But if he thinks he's normal and keeps harassing me with all that crap I'd tell him to shove all that where the sun don't shine.
He's masturbating to the sales of animal crossing right now. He even keeps track of which local retail shop is restocking animal crossing. He keeps track of everything Nintendo worldwide. He'll post queues of people queuing up for Nintendo games from over the world.

He's also really proud that the price of Ring Fit is higher now.. As I'm typing this, he's showing everyone that a local retailer just restocked Animal Crossing. And he's asking if the price has increased. He also has an extreme hate for Sony and asks everyone to pirate games, especially all those Sony exclusives that are coming to PC. He says there's no reason to buy playstation games. To him, no games exist if they don't appear on Nintendo systems. He bought FF7 when it released on switch. But he's going to pirate FF7R. Currently, he's praying that Persona 5 The Royal will release on switch.

RBtdipz.jpg

Last edited:

Airola

I have to say that FF4, FF6, FF7 and FF8 are the greatest Final Fantasy games. I don't remember a thing about 9 and I was so annoyed with Tidus in 10 that I wish I could forget about that game instead.

Hmm, this might actually be the truth.
I like FF5 too though.

FF8's overworld was too barren but for some reason I like its overworld more than 9's. And 9 had too many straightforward places with the token boss in the exact moment you would anticipate it to be. It was more predictable than 8. Also the card game on 8 was REALLY FUN but in 9 it was a chore.

Doesn't help that after X they diverted so far from what made FF great that the series became irrelevant to most original fans.

That happened to me. Went from being a Final Fantasy fan into completely losing interest in the future of the series.
This didn't happen after X but happened because of X though. Some say X is the last good Final Fantasy game. I would say 9 is the last.

Also TMNT on NES is best TMNT game and among top 10 NES games.

While it might not be my top 10 NES game I would agree it's the best TMNT game and it might be in my top 20 NES games list.

crumbs

Forza 7 was the one that surprised me the most. The tracks are muddy, low-poly disasters. It's truly an ugly game with garbage menus. I've been playing a lot of Horizon 4 lately and it's like is taking place on a different planet compared to Forza 7.

I'll also mention Halo 5 here. Going back and playing that game, you see every corner 343 had to cut to get that thing running at 60 frames a second.

I'm not sure how Halo 5 is relevant to your argument that "mid-generation Xbox One games are ugly as shit, even at ultra settings ". The closest to playing H5 on ultra is on the X1X and it looks pretty good.

I think FH3 & 4 are both better looking than F7, but calling F7 an ugly game is a bit much.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People who dislike linearity, can't appreciate spectacle and flow.
I like linear games and mostly dislike open world. I game and my life (31) and I still prefer single player and mostly linear games. I will take hellblade, last guardian or even uncharted over any ac, far cry or other crap collectible games.
There are exceptions like gta iv and metro exodus for example.
Anyway - I want story, spectacle, emotions. I don't like mp, side quests, bloat.

Top Bottom