• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

mcjmetroid

Love when this thread pops up, get to have a good ol rant.

Most recently:
Bloodstained is an utterly soulless unpolished mess of a game that's only receiving positive praise attention for the same reason the Outer Worlds did (Which has the exact same problem). They're half decent clone sequels of existing games but never as close to being as good as the games that came before that they're trying to replicate.
Makes me wonder how truly awful Mighty no.9 must have been.

Stere

GTA:SA >>>>>>> GTA 5
One of the best things about SA was that each city had his own vibe, GTA 5 would be better with a smaller Los Santos, radio was better in GTA SA too.

Mario Odyssey would be 100x better with less Moons to collect but still far inferior to Mario 64

Insomniac Spider-Man was ruined thanks to the awful stealth segments and the most dull combat I haver played in a AAA action game., Even the web swinging was uninspired, it felt too heavy.

Carna

Banned
Most Nintendo exclusives are more-of-the-same rehashes that are downgraded and haven't really evolved at all, Sony exclusives are wannabe movie games that try to emulate films instead of being actual games and follow the standard AAA Western game formula.

Technomancer is a fun rpg. I loved it though it got panned by critics bad.
sure it had bad fast travel and too much backtracking, but I could look beyond that.
It had jank but that added charm. It was the best scifi rpg since mass effect 1 (imo as me2 wasn't really rpg to me).

Also I liked alpha protocol. People dinged it for not having 1:1 shooting and instead used rpg dice rolls for to hit and damage. I liked that. It was an rpg. It was like kotor and such, but critics hated that and complained about it and so did others. The thing is if you excused that the game had an original setting. No other espionage / stealth rpgs exist. It was one of a kind and we probably won't get another espionage rpg due to critics being too harsh

Finally, I will say neverwinter nights 1 sucked and was over rated. Neverwinter nights 2 was underrated and actually had a party system and group chatter. Nwn2 I loved but again critics dinged it and we will probably never get a 3rd nwn game. (. Mmo f2p bs doesn't count)

Last edited:

small_law

I finished my PC build recently and I've been trying out the play anywhere Xbox One games I bought over the past five or six years.

I got to be real: mid-generation Xbox One games are ugly as shit, even at ultra settings.

Despite the horrible story, infuriatingly abundant amount of QTE's, cheap deaths, bugs, extremely forgettable enemies (Giant spooge jizz monster second rate fake Ada Wong for example) and almost non existent feeling of terror, fear, and heart pounding dread throughout the entirety of the game, I fucking love Resident Evil 6. The excellent action, combat, weapon variety, unlocks, and the super fun co-op make it a game I can go back to time and time again to beat my previous rankings, trudge through on higher difficulties, and have fun with a good friend on co-op. It is definitely one of my favorites.

That being said, I can and do understand why people loathe and hate it. There's no horror atmosphere, and there's no feeling that death is around every corner. It also doesn't feel like a fully fledged Resident Evil game. That and Wesker is dead man. They never should have killed him off in 5. He would have shown all these half-assed, wannabes a thing or 10 when it comes to being a supremely amazing villain. It would have been better to have it be an epic spinoff in an alternate "what if?" timeline instead of a prime timeline one.

The best JRPG from the 360/PS3 era (not to mention the best Final Fantasy game not named "Final Fantasy") was easily Lost Odyssey.

Also, Blue Dragon didn't do well because it had an old-school toughness to it that JRPG fans hadn't seen since the SNES days (if at all, depending on their entry point to gaming).

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Blood Dragon > Far Cry 2 > The rest of the franchise.

Assassin's Creed (2007) is the best game in the series.

Resident Evil 3 sucked.

Need For Speed: Carbon was the last good game in the series.

Prey is just poor man's System Shock 2.

crumbs

I finished my PC build recently and I've been trying out the play anywhere Xbox One games I bought over the past five or six years.

I got to be real: mid-generation Xbox One games are ugly as shit, even at ultra settings.

I thought Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 looked pretty good at Ultra settings.

Miles708

Final Fantasy XIII is the most easily approachable, relaxing and leisurely-satisfying jrpg, exactly because of its linear and story-driven structure. It also has an awesome battle system, gorgeous music, incredible style, it's a technical marvel and has the most iconic protagonist. It doens't deserve 1/100 of the hate it got.

Last edited:
I thought Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 looked pretty good at Ultra settings.

1cWE.gif

The Last Of Us is dull and repetitive with boring combat mechanics.
You've never played God if War 2019 then...

God of War is boring and that's coming from someone who loved Everybody's gone to the Rapture.

I am utterly flabbergasted at the popular consensus that this is the game of the generation. The visuals and the acting is great, The story is predictable & about not much else other then a cold moody father slowly bonding with his influenced son & the game is another mutation of thepointless, bloated open world cancer that's ravaged all AAA titles this generation and makes game 3x times longer than nessacary to complete just to give you a sense of "scope" or "scale".

Final Fantasy XIII is the most easily approachable, relaxing and leisurely-satisfying jrpg, exactly because of its linear and story-driven structure. It also has an awesome battle system, gorgeous music, incredible style, it's a technical marvel and has the most iconic protagonist. It doens't deserve 1/100 of the hate it got.
You're right about everything else apart from the convulted and poorly presented story.

Anything that requires me to sit through cutscenes THEN enter an ingame data log to comprehend the rest of the story is just straight up bullshit.

WolfusFh

Dark souls is not that great. The combat is slow and repetitive, with the same trial and error approach for everything.

Dmc 5 storywise was weak.

Megaman X6 is not "absolute trash". It has it's issues with some decisions regarding level design, when the difficulty felt cheap, but the game can easily be enjoyable, even with X.

Console wars is stupid. Just play wherever you want and can pay for. Who cares if the person enjoys playing more on a PC or in the PS4 or whatever.

Miles708

You're right about everything else apart from the convulted and poorly presented story.

Anything that requires me to sit through cutscenes THEN enter an ingame data log to comprehend the rest of the story is just straight up bullshit.

Fair enough. I did actually forgot you had to read through the logs.
Somehow that didn't bother me (it usually does)... maybe because the world looks like would would be an improbable (and indispensable) AAA Panzer Dragoon RPG.

Halo sucks and so does its multiplayer. Also for the few games I did play online in halo 3 turned me off of xbox live. What a cesspool of hate.

Great ad campaign though.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Halo sucks and so does its multiplayer. Also for the few games I did play online in halo 3 turned me off of xbox live. What a cesspool of hate.

Great ad campaign though.
I don't like Halo either. Such a weird shooter with floaty mechanics and people can absorb a lot of bullets before dying.

When Call of Duty games took off and people play characters that killed fast in about 3 bullets, I remember ardent Halo gamers hating Call of Duty gameplay with such great reasons like........... If someone shoots me in the back, I should have a chance to jump out of the way, turn around and return fire.

Kumomeme

The best JRPG from the 360/PS3 era (not to mention the best Final Fantasy game not named "Final Fantasy") was easily Lost Odyssey.

i dont think this claim is controversional...there might be other jrpg people might argue, but that game definitely among the best that era

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finished original Ace Attorney and Justice for All and currently playing Trials and Tribulations and I can safely say Ace Attorney is THE BEST series Capcom ever made. I dont think I want to stop playing this series.

I'm guessing after Trials and Tribulations this the game I need to play next.
220px-Apollo-justice-english-cover.jpg

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Final Fantasy 7 is terribly unappealing. Actually ALL Final Fantasy games excluding the spin-offs like Tactics and 11 shouldn’t even exist at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

FF7 is one of those “classics” that is only a classic because you’re told it’s a classic, so everyone continues on pretending like it isn’t super boring and trying to not let anyone else catch on.
Its-Not-A-Lie-If-You-Believe-It-Seinfeld.gif

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 7 is terribly unappealing. Actually ALL Final Fantasy games excluding the spin-offs like Tactics and 11 shouldn’t even exist at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

FF7 is one of those “classics” that is only a classic because you’re told it’s a classic, so everyone continues on pretending like it isn’t super boring and trying to not let anyone else catch on.
Its-Not-A-Lie-If-You-Believe-It-Seinfeld.gif
You can JAMMA that opinion right up your bumhole, friendo. :messenger_angry:

LordKasual

Banned

Yuck. I've heard people say its "overrated", but i've never heard someone claim it's a fake classic.

Final Fantasy 6 deserves a remake more than FF7.
I'll raise that:

Final Fantasy 8 is the remake literally every FF fan wants, but doesn't consciously know they want.

Nothing has been consistently closer to modern Square games than FF8's aesthetic.

Last edited:
Yuck. I've heard people say its "overrated", but i've never heard someone claim it's a fake classic.

I'll raise that:

Final Fantasy 8 is the remake literally every FF fan wants, but doesn't consciously know they want.

Nothing has been consistently closer to modern Square games than FF8's aesthetic.
FFVIII aesthetically looks fine, It was a huge step up to have realistically proportioned models, A mature visual style and a contemporary theme for the game. The remaster is good although it could have been better produced. It doesn't need a ground up remake. FFVII does however need a more concise and better presented pitch like what they did with RE2Make.

The years of hindsight has allowed them to write the characters better and give them more sophisticated direction with the better technology & experience on hand too. Not to say the original FFVII wasn't touching, effective & endearing. The developers had to be very clever with the conveyed emotion back in 96 with the resources they did. More they have a lot more range.

i dont think this claim is controversional...there might be other jrpg people might argue, but that game definitely among the best that era

You haven't tried talking to a Sony or SquEEEEEEnix fanboy then. You still have people claiming crap like FF XIII was good.

Couple this with the "anything Microsoft makes is crap" viewpoint, and you have a great basis for willful ignorance by a certain fanbase.

Last edited:

Pansy

Resident Evil 4 is one of the most overrated games ever praised. I cannot for the life of me see why people like a game with such a cliche, obnoxious "macho" archetype as our main character. The story is awful and just borderline ridiculous. I thought RE 3 was better...though I'm not really liking where the remake is taking it.

Technomancer is a fun rpg. I loved it though it got panned by critics bad.
sure it had bad fast travel and too much backtracking, but I could look beyond that.
It had jank but that added charm. It was the best scifi rpg since mass effect 1 (imo as me2 wasn't really rpg to me).

Also I liked alpha protocol. People dinged it for not having 1:1 shooting and instead used rpg dice rolls for to hit and damage. I liked that. It was an rpg. It was like kotor and such, but critics hated that and complained about it and so did others. The thing is if you excused that the game had an original setting. No other espionage / stealth rpgs exist. It was one of a kind and we probably won't get another espionage rpg due to critics being too harsh

Finally, I will say neverwinter nights 1 sucked and was over rated. Neverwinter nights 2 was underrated and actually had a party system and group chatter. Nwn2 I loved but again critics dinged it and we will probably never get a 3rd nwn game. (. Mmo f2p bs doesn't count)

My notes for my review on Technomancer:
Positives
Awesome art direction
Strong opening and tutorial
Some companion side quests
Story to contact Earth
Game ran flawless

Negatives
OMG the back tracking
Respawning enemies
Writing is hit or miss
Loot, weapons and combat is vanilla and shallow
Lacks enemy variety

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Half Life: Alyx will flop. Halo and Gears Of War sucks. FF 12 is the only playable FF(besides 15), because of "random encounter-free" gameplay.

Ellery

Resident Evil 4 is one of the most overrated games ever praised. I cannot for the life of me see why people like a game with such a cliche, obnoxious "macho" archetype as our main character. The story is awful and just borderline ridiculous. I thought RE 3 was better...though I'm not really liking where the remake is taking it.

I wouldn't go quite as far as this, because I think RE4 is still a good game (atleast I thought so when it came out and I played it back then), but the amount of hype and praise is way too much.
Sadly RE4 was the beginning of the end for me. I lost my old friends (RE1,2,3) and they gave me over the shoulder action

Love when this thread pops up, get to have a good ol rant.

Most recently:
Bloodstained is an utterly soulless unpolished mess of a game that's only receiving positive praise attention for the same reason the Outer Worlds did (Which has the exact same problem). They're half decent clone sequels of existing games but never as close to being as good as the games that came before that they're trying to replicate.
Makes me wonder how truly awful Mighty no.9 must have been.
I think Ritual of the Night probably missed the mark and I'm a big fan of Iga.

Curse of the Moon is better and I could totally deal with Bloodstained being more like that.

Anyways here's some more Contraversiak opinions.

- Blood Omen 2 is a good game

- the Darksiders series is one of the best new IPs from last gen

- Requiem: Avenging Angel is a good game that should have gotten a sequel. It's depiction of Hell is one of the most disturbing I've seen in a game

- Devil's Hunt is a good game that just needs polish (no pun intended considering it's a Polish developed game) and likable characters. The protagonist is an unlikable douchebag chad

- Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is the best Indiana Jones game

- Tokyo Xanadu is the best Falcom action RPG. Please give us a sequel ffs

- Mary Skelter is a good dungeon crawling game

- Forrest Whitaker eye really stands out positively and helps define his ccharacter

Last edited:
Top Bottom