• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

BigDes

I feel that Half Life's success is directly responsible for the dearth in creativity we see in shooters today

Not that Half Life wasn't brilliant

Karuto

I feel that Half Life's success is directly responsible for the dearth in creativity we see in shooters today

Not that Half Life wasn't brilliant

Personally felt that it was the rise of the console shooter since it happened around that time, but I can see where you're coming from (if the stance is that Half-Life 1 set the standard that shooters later have failed to live up to? which I completely agree).

Ultimadrago

DKC3 is the best DKC

91925108.png

Aw, Heeeeeeeeell NAW!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Are you talking about 3D Land, Mario Kart, or Ghost Recon?

Revelations, I assumed.

Exactly, he is talking crap :p (That is ignoring things like Mutant Mudds, Tetris 3d, Pushmo etc.)

As for my unpopular opinions, hmmm. Wii is the best console for this generation. 3DS has been fantastic since last November. Umm, is it unpopular to say that both the 3ds and the Vita could be great (though the Vita needs some more compelling software)?

- FFXIII has by far the best & most strategic battle system of any JRPG, pity that its full potential is only scratched in optional battles.

- FFXII is the worst FF, incredibly dull & uninteresting story and characters (excl. Balthier).

- FFVII is an extremely overrated game. Many people look at it through nostalgia glasses because it was their first FF/RPG/JRPG/3D game etc..

- Skyward Sword is the best Nintendo game in a decade.

- Uncharted is a shallow interactive movie.

- A game as buggy as Skyrim doesn't deserve GOTY. It also has a horrible, unsatisfying battle system & boring quests, characters & story.

- Castlevania 64 & Legacy of Darkness are the best 3D Castlevanias and the only ones to capture the spirit of the original (pre-SOTN) games.

The vita has better games on launch than the 3ds has in its entire current lineup. The system has terrible graphics and all the games are made for 5yo who need bright colours to keep their attention.

Ultimadrago

- FFXII is the worst FF, incredibly dull & uninteresting story and characters (excl. Balthier).

- FFVII is an extremely overrated game. Many people look at it through nostalgia glasses because it was their first FF/RPG/JRPG/3D game etc..

Hmm, not very controversial. (On the notion, I've seen many on interwebs feel the same way)

- Skyward Sword is the best Nintendo game in a decade.
That's better! On that note,

CRdMe.gif

Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 2. Surprised there aren't more who feel this way.

While I don't necessarily agree, I can totally understand see how someone would think that. Uncharted 2 may have been a better experience, but Uncharted 1 is a better game, because it's more of a game.

Jokeropia

The 3DS has crap graphics, a terrible list of childish games and remakes and nothing impressive to anyone that wants a mature gaming experience with a game that doesnt involve pets, mario or anything decent.
I hate all wii games. Theyre just kids games. All the zelda games suck and Uncharted 3 sucks big time.

The Wii is absolute dogshit and all Wii games have been made for kids.

Surprisingly, the vita is very good.
The vita has better games on launch than the 3ds has in its entire current lineup. The system has terrible graphics and all the games are made for 5yo who need bright colours to keep their attention.
Pretty transparent, are we?

This is a perfect example of someone with a warped view of "maturity".

TaroYamada

While I don't necessarily agree, I can totally understand see how someone would think that. Uncharted 2 may have been a better experience, but Uncharted 1 is a better game, because it's more of a game.

That's my reasoning, not taking into consideration multi-player here obviously. I just felt the first Uncharted was a better title and found the level designs to be more unique and intriguing. Uncharted 2 was a great game too, still need to check out 3.

StuBurns

Banned
It's not really unfair to say Nintendo uses an art direction designed to appeal to children, not that it makes any difference to the quality of the products, SMG is a masterpiece, if it's one designed to appeal to children or not.

Volcynika

It's not really unfair to say Nintendo uses an art direction designed to appeal to children, not that it makes any difference to the quality of the products, SMG is a masterpiece, if it's one designed to appeal to children or not.

He's saying all games on Wii/3DS though. Not just all Nintendo developed games.

cbox

Other than silent hill 1, 2, and 3 - I can't stand Japanese made games.

Gt5 while beautiful in screenshots fell hard on its ass, despite it's almost endless dev time.

Sorry guys :|

LeleSocho

Banned
Other than silent hill 1, 2, and 3 - I can't stand Japanese made games.

Gt5 while beautiful in screenshots fell hard on its ass, despite it's almost endless dev time.

Sorry guys :|

So can i assume that before this generation you were a pc only guy? or maybe you weren't into videogames at all? because i don't remember any good game made by western developer on console before this generation aside some exceptions

cbox

So can i assume that before this generation you were a pc only guy? or maybe you weren't into videogames at all? because i don't remember any good game made by western developer on console before this generation aside some exceptions

Huge pc gamer, and had an xbox. So I'm assuming that's what it was.

to add to that - the wii u is going to suck as well. Even though the concept is very good. The problem with nintendo machines since the SNES has never been hardware, simply the games on each system.

Id love it if nintendo started to make awesome games again, but unfortunately its the same remakes/sequels over and over again.

to add to that - the wii u is going to suck as well. Even though the concept is very good. The problem with nintendo machines since the SNES has never been hardware, simply the games on each system.

Id love it if nintendo started to make awesome games again, but unfortunately its the same remakes/sequels over and over again.

If all Nintendo does is the same sequels over and over again, then so does the entire industry and every sequel ever made. I mean, just look at the different Metroid and Zelda games and compare that to other franchises like any FPS, any fighting game, any racing game, the Uncharted series, Elder Scrolls series etc. that look and play basically all the same...

spekkeh

Banned
I have some hope that Miyamoto concentrating on new, smaller projects as opposed to Nintendo's bighitters is indicative of a small paradigm shift in Nintendo, where there's going to be more room for creativity and new IPs. Simultaneously I know I'll be sorely disappointed, but that's part of being a Nintendo fanboy.

Ramsiege

Final Fantasy VII was boring. Despite being the only FF game I've finished, it is my least favorite in the series.

Dragon Age 2 is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Yes it has reused dungeons and not much from the DA:O story carried over, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Karuto

I personally feel that BioWare has fallen off the deep end, utilizing the same boring formula since their KOTOR days (even that I didn't really enjoy, but then again, I'm not a big Star Wars fan). I have not enjoyed any of their games since Baldur's Gate 2 because I can't help but feel that each and every single game of theirs follows that exact same template of dialogue trees, helping each of your partners with their little side quests, stories with poor pacing, and the weird lock-in-step combat. Anyone else see what I'm getting at? I'm not saying the switch to consoles ruined them since I'm not some PC fanboy, but I think their best work was on that platform and they haven't been the same ever sense. Look at that recent Command & Conquer ad if you want to see EA peddling their name to the masses. The name just means diddly squat nowadays at least to me, and I think they've done especially bad when it comes to crafting sequels (Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age II seem too desperate to reach for the mainstream audience).

IrishNinja

what was awesome on the SNES that they don't make anymore, though? almost every franchise has a sequel or spinoff, but then again you just said that was a bad thing, i think.

jrDev

The first one is good, but shit doesn't get real until you get to UC2.

Man, I despise the gunplay in the game, it is in fact the most terrible part of the game just terrible; AND it gets even worse since they drag so long. Not a fan of naughty dogs design decisions, it makes them one of the most overrated developers this gen with the most overrated game I've played. Makes me not even want to play the sequel at all...

The Lamp

Half-Life 2 is pretty boring. I tried to play it for two hours the day I bought it on Steam and I could hardly figure out what to do for the first good while and eventually I just never played it again.

I wonder if I finished it if I'd love it like everyone else.

Karuto

Half-Life 2 is pretty boring. I tried to play it for two hours the day I bought it on Steam and I could hardly figure out what to do for the first good while and eventually I just never played it again.

I wonder if I finished it if I'd love it like everyone else.

Half-Life 2 was a good game, it's just that it suffered from rather poor pacing at certain points in the story, like any of the vehicle segments. lol

Oddduck

When it's all said and done, 3DS will have the greatest lineup of games out of every Nintendo handheld ever. Better than Game Boy. Better than GBA. Better than DS.

3DS has had a better lineup of games in year 1 than DS and GBA had in year 1.

And I see that trend continuing for the next 4-5 years.

IrishNinja

^i missed year 1 of both GBA and DS, what were the standout titles?

Mario 3D land, kart, RE..hopefully luigi 2 and paper mario, as well as layton vs phoenix if we get it in time? im wondering what'll be heralded beyond these down the road.

Antioch

I've got one that might annoy some Gaffers, Uncharted is not much better than a 3rd person COD with better art direction and characters, doesn't mean I don't like it though.

Oddduck

I mean DS's first year was fucking awful. It was Mario 64, Ridge Racer, and Yoshi Touch N Go. It was pretty bad.

I remember GBA's launch games being Mario Bros 2 (Super Mario Advance) and FZero. And then Mario Kart Super Circuit came.

3DS came out in March so the first year anniversary isn't here yet...but...3DS's first year would be Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil Revelations, Street Fighter 3D, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Nano Assault, Tales of the Abyss, Tekken Prime, Metal Gear Solid 3D, Bit. Trip Saga, Cave Story 3D...then you have the eshop titles like Pushmo, Mutant Mudds, etc.

Yeah I think 3DS's first year destroys DS's and GBA's first year easily.

So anyone who acts like the 3DS won't surpass the DS needs a reality check. DS is already getting surpassed in both quality software and first year sales by 3DS.

Karuto

When it's all said and done, 3DS will have the greatest lineup of games out of every Nintendo handheld ever. Better than Game Boy. Better than GBA. Better than DS.

3DS has had a better lineup of games in year 1 than DS and GBA had in year 1.

And I see that trend continuing for the next 4-5 years.

I can honestly only see this working out if they finally get the killer app they've been waiting for, like Brain Age and Nintendogs was to the original DS. Maybe we'll see it before the redesign, but these are different times we're living in because there was no App Store back when the DS launched. From the games I have played and reviewed, I don't see that really being the case. No one is going to run out and buy a 3DS for Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7 because those are games for people that already bought one because they expected them.

Seriously doubt that it will have the same sales numbers as the DS though. It was a phenomenon as the PlayStation 2 was, and had hardly the amount of competition as it does now since many people aren't sure of 3D technology among other things. It will have impressive sales numbers, yes, but nowhere near the 150mil currently.

Chatin

Despite the fact that I've preordered the Vita to play Uncharted, it's clear that this Uncharted is likely to be a mediocre experience, and there isn't any other compelling software on the horizon for the Vita. Launch line up is padded with ports and boring attempts at original software. Back touchpad worst idea for gaming hardware in a while.

Karuto

Despite the fact that I've preordered the Vita to play Uncharted, it's clear that this Uncharted is likely to be a mediocre experience, and there isn't any other compelling software on the horizon for the Vita. Launch line up is padded with ports and boring attempts at original software. Back touchpad worst idea for gaming hardware in a while.

Don't knock it until you've tried! Uncharted: Golden Abyss is actually surprisingly a very competent experience. And check out Gravity Rush and Dragon's Crown sometime. ;)

Uh.

You could always not buy it.

Just a thought.

-super smash bros brawl is the best game out of the series. the best characters, stages, music, etc. i just have an absolute blast playing it. besides, you can mod the game so it has infinite possibilities.

-loved dkc1 and dkc3, just could not get into dkc2. i consider it to be the "worst" of the three.

-final fantasy 8 is the best and my favorite out of the series, although the rest are pretty good in their own right. i actually used to hate ff7, but after playing it twice, i see how and why people love it so much.

-i think the vita will flop in the usa, because of its high price and lack of games besides uncharted.

-i really love playing halo 3 multiplayer and i just cant stand playing halo reach multiplayer. something about the whole jetpack/shield/boosting thing is such a turn off, along with the new maps. give me good old classic halo 3 multiplayer any day over reach. on a side note, the halo anniversary playlist for reach is pretty damn amazing because it throws away all those useless reach gimmicks and gives me the original halo mp which i love.

-i liked devil may cry 2. it was the first game i played in the series and didnt think it was bad at all.

IrishNinja

So anyone who acts like the 3DS won't surpass the DS needs a reality check. It's already getting surpassed in both quality software and first year sales.

yeah, i can agree with this (your list helped confirm it) - but i hope 3rd party support reaches the heights it did with DS. i dont know if its the slow start, higher production costs or if i should just expect year 1 to be this way, but it feels a lot more scarce than id expected.

worked out though, i caught up on all the DS games id wanted for a lot cheaper.

Top Bottom