• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: Wii U Aliens Colonial Marines is best looking version

Izick

Wow..that was some serious positive feedback from the developer. It just confirmed what I instictively knew already: WiiU is a next gen system and it's going to kick some serious ass. The sad part is I instictively get the feeling Sony and MS are going to rip off Nintendo's controller interface ideas ONCE AGAIN.

That controller and Windows 8 seem like they'd be a perfect match though.

NBtoaster

The games and the specs? Yes the Xbox was more powerful but not by any extreme measure. Both systems definitely fit squarely within the same generational ballpark, along with the PS2 too (and the Gamecube was definitely closer to the Xbox than the PS2). Each system had it's advantages and disadvantages compared to the others.

I don't suggest it was something like a Wii to PS3 difference. But it had ~1.5x the RAM, ~2x the CPU speed, and ~2x the GPU speed with DX8 hardware instead of DX7-class hardware like the Gamecube. That's not negligible.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It being the best version does not mean WiiU is a generational leap.

Still, it is much better than hearing it will look identical to the 360 version.

Looking forward to E3.

Truth101

Banned
I don't suggest it was something like a Wii to PS3 difference. But it had ~1.5x the RAM, ~2x the CPU speed, and ~2x the GPU speed with DX8 hardware instead of DX7-class hardware like the Gamecube. That's not negligible.

Just because you can bench 300 lbs and I can only bench 200 lbs doesn't make me weak.

salpa

Banned
Two things:

The Cell isn't a standard CPU. Really, there are barely any CPUs that match it's peak computational performance even today. It's peak performance is rated at 230 GFLOPs. The most powerful Core i7 is rated at 65 GFLOPs. As you might imagine, it's just not comparable to normal CPUs. It's a totally different beast.

The other consoles aren't going to be 10x as powerful as Wii U. That's just crazy. There will barely be an Xbox vs. 360 difference between current consoles and the other next-gen systems.

That's false.

You are comparing single precision (Cell) to double precision (the i7), which is 32 bit vs 64 bit.

Desktop processors are almost exclusively rated in double precision, the fastest being the i7 980 @ 109GFLOPS, which is above Cell by 9 GFLOPS.

My AMD 1055t OCed to 3.8GHz is at 75 GFLOPs, which isn't that far away from Cell.

In comparison, an 8 core Power7 is capable of nearly 300 GFLOPS in double precision, basically blowing Cell to the moon.

Edit: Nevermind. That i7 is not the fastest, it is just the fastest 6-core.

Erethian

It being the best version does not mean WiiU is a generational leap.

Still, it is much better than hearing it will look identical to the 360 version.

Looking forward to E3.

It's possible to have a substantive hardware improvement over the 360/PS3 while ultimately not being as powerful as the PS4/720 will be. Which is what the bulk of the rumours have been saying for ages.

Personally I'm more interested in what Nintendo's online implementation will be like this time around.

TheNatural

My Member!
Wii U underpowered, and I quote, by random gaming rag: 50 pages
Wii U more powerful, plus other relevant shit, confirmed by a major head of development: 2 pages

As a huge Aliens fan, this looks pretty good to me. Some things I liked that I heard from the video:

-In MP you play the Xenomorphs in 3rd person. This is the correct design choice, and this instills a little bit of faith in me for Gearbox.

-Gearbox was inspired by Left 4 Dead's multiplayer. Another very good thing.

-You gain XP in both single player and multiplayer.

RedSwirl

Yeah, knew about that.

It really shows something about just how incredible that series is when you consider that absolutely none of the Rogue Squadron games are properly emulated yet. Not even RS1 - it's one of only two N64 games that haven't ever been emulated properly (the other is Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, not counting the 64DD games). And the fact that a gamecube launch title is STILL unplayable on Dolphin, whereas I can play through a Wii game like Xenoblade in full v-synced 1080p is mindblowing.

RIP Factor 5.

edit: just remembered, they also made the N64 Indiana Jones game!! Ha. No wonder it doesn't work - it even ran in 60fps 480p on a real N64. An absolute fucking miracle that game was.

Wait, wasn't there an actual PC version of RS1?

BurntPork

Banned
That's false.

You are comparing single precision (Cell) to double precision (the i7), which is 32 bit vs 64 bit.

Desktop processors are almost exclusively rated in double precision, the fastest being the i7 980 @ 109GFLOPS, which is above Cell by 9 GFLOPS.

My AMD 1055t OCed to 3.8GHz is at 75 GFLOPs, which isn't that far away from Cell.

In comparison, an 8 core Power7 is capable of nearly 300 GFLOPS in double precision, basically blowing Cell to the moon.

Edit: Nevermind. That i7 is not the fastest, it is just the fastest 6-core.

Okay, then. Still, the point is that it's a totally different class of CPU. The fact that the Wii U's CPU is weaker on-paper than Cell doesn't necessarily make it a bottleneck.

evolution

While I think WiiU is obviously more powerful, I don't think this game will show the gap. It's on 4 platforms and probably doesn't take advantage of any of them. Nintendo will show whats capable, not gearbox.

salpa

Banned
Okay, then. Still, the point is that it's a totally different class of CPU. The fact that the Wii U's CPU is weaker on-paper than Cell doesn't necessarily make it a bottleneck.

Yeah I agree with that.

I'm fairly certain that all three next gen consoles could have CPUs weaker than Cell and still deliver much better looking games.

bomma_man

The statement about the controller is ridiculous, and, sadly, probably indicative of the general view of the Wiimote among the FPS development community.

Erethian

While I think WiiU is obviously more powerful, I don't think this game will show the gap. It's on 4 platforms and probably doesn't take advantage of any of them. Nintendo will show whats capable, not gearbox.

I wouldn't expect Nintendo to showcase the system technically, at least so far as their Japanese studios go. Unless EAD Tokyo has something to show off. Retro's game probably will, though.

Rich!

The statement about the controller is ridiculous, and, sadly, probably indicative of the general view of the Wiimote among the FPS development community.

Played Uncharted on the Vita with Gyro aiming yet?

Do it, and then you'll understand why the Wii U Pad could be better than the Wiimote. It's seriously the best of both worlds.

bomma_man

I wouldn't expect Nintendo to showcase the system technically, at least so far as their Japanese studios go. Unless EAD Tokyo has something to show off. Retro's game probably will, though.

Yeah, for every 3D console they've done excluding the Wii it's been western partners that have made it really sing, eg Rare and Factor 5 on the N64 and GameCube. You can't put it down to artstyle either, given Rare's typical output.

Do it, and then you'll understand why the Wii U Pad could be better than the Wiimote. It's seriously the best of both worlds.

Nope, don't plan on getting a Vita, but i've used a (probably) similar system in OoT3D and I dunno.... It's okay, but I'm also playing RE4Wii at the moment and it's on another level really (not that it's a FPS either but you know what I mean).

Neiteio

They should have a feature where as the xenomorph approaches the Upad goes "beep... beep... beep... beep beep... beep beep beep.... beep beep beep beeeeeeeeep!" And then youarealreadydead.gif appears on the touchscreen.

DavieC726

They should have a feature where as the xenomorph approaches the Upad goes "beep... beep... beep... beep beep... beep beep beep.... beep beep beep beeeeeeeeep!" And then youarealreadydead.gif appears on the touchscreen.

It seems like he mentioned that in the video. Well, the controller making noise in conjunction with the motion scanner at least.

Game-Biz

I'm still predicting INCREDIBLE disappointment from people on here after Nintendo's E3 showing. Then again, I guess it wont be different than most post-E3 whining as most people set their expectations way above reality. Regardless, this is the first good news I've read about the Wii U since I don't know when.

Anteo

While Uncharted may be a better example, we do have examples in the 3ds, REvelations (and Oot too) show how effectve the gyro is.

Rich!

Nope, don't plan on getting a Vita, but i've used a (probably) similar system in OoT3D and I dunno.... It's okay, but I'm also playing RE4Wii at the moment and it's on another level really (not that it's a FPS either but you know what I mean).

It's far more responsive/accurate on the Vita due to the inbuilt magnetometer, which the Wii U pad also has.

Erethian

There just seems to be very little excitement about this game in general.

My interest depends on whether shooting xenos at point blank range has you sprayed with acid and you lose almost all your armor/health.

Or whether walking over dead xenos hurts you.

Medalion

Banned
There is very little excitement about the Wii-U, and very little excitement for Aliens Colonial marines... they're made for each other... and the best version is on Wii-U? No shit

Huff

Banned
I guess, not sure about this specific developer's track record but any FPS that isn't about war is on my radar.

Unless it's from High Voltage.

They have Borderlands which is pretty well liked, but also that sequel coming out soon.

More Alien games seem to be bad than good.

This could just be party of Randy's strategy of selling more copies and getting people to care (if only becuz console warz!)

abstract alien said:
I'm assuming it will be a launch title, so anything decent always gets more love. Were this released two years from now, I doubt it.

Unless your a vita game

Rich!

The Wii-mote doesn't need the magnetometer (while pointing to the screen) due the sensor bar.

Was comparing to the 3DS, not the Wii.

However, it does pose the chance that it could be far better than the Wiimote. Dual analog control, PLUS accurate motion/gyro aiming. It'll be superb.

Penguin

Would any Nintendo fans give a shit about this game if this wasn't true?

This is why exclusives matter.
They tend to get more attention by fans of that console.

In this case, it isn't an exclusive. But so few Wii U titles known that being.. public helps you gain a lot of early traction.

Luigiv

Claiming ~2x CPU and GPU performance is pushing it. ~1.5x tops. Also Flipper isn't just a vanilla DX7-class card. The TEV units in the chip are very similar in function to the SM1.0 pipelines in the NV2A, it's just that they're proprietary to Art X chips so they were never recognised as part of any standard. DX7+ Class would be a more accurate description.

So yeah whilst the performance differences aren't negligible, they're not big enough to warrant calling the GCN underpowered either. Especially not when you consider the huge difference in manufacturing costs.

Here's probably the best GCN vs Xbox comparison I can think of. Multiplats that were well optimised for both platforms are hard to come by but we at least have this one: Metal Arms. As can be seen, the gap between the Xbox and GCN versions is pretty small. Both platforms are pushing a lot of the same effects. The PS2 version is completely fucked though.

Hiltz

I'm assuming it will be a launch title, so anything decent always gets more love. Were this released two years from now, I doubt it.

You're probably right about that. I wonder how Batman: Arkham City will do since it will be a year old game by the time it's ported to Wii U. There's gonna be a lot of ports this year for Wii U. How much can third-parties expect out of the sales of their current-gen ports (regardless of being old or new) when their going up against Nintendo's own full-fledged next-gen titles and a potential port of Black Ops 2 (not sure if Activison's confirmed support yet) ? A lot of these games are going to be fighting for sales scraps.

There just seems to be very little excitement about this game in general.

There's only been a slow trickle of news for this game, so that's probably part of the reason. But I do think that this helps Nintendo fans take notice because it shows that Gearbox is putting effort into the Wii U version. When you bought a DC you expected ports to look better than they did on the PSone and N64, the same for when you bought a 360 and you expected improved PS2, Xbox and GC ports. They were still ports, so they obviously looked different than a game built for the system, but you still saw the improvements like you'd expect. If the rumors are true that the Wii U is 2-3x's the power of current consoles, then there's no excuse for developers to not release superior ports on the system. A game like BO2 shouldn't be running at 600p with a fluctuating 60fps framerate on that system.

You're probably right about that. I wonder how Batman: Arkham City will do since it will be a year old game by the time it's ported to Wii U.

Well, someone said they are doing some pretty cool things with the controller but I doubt it looks any better than the other console versions.

Rich!

You're probably right about that. I wonder how Batman: Arkham City will do since it will be a year old game by the time it's ported to Wii U.

For sure. I brought it for the PC for just £5.

Hopefully it won't launch at full price £39.99.

bomma_man

It's far more responsive/accurate on the Vita due to the inbuilt magnetometer, which the Wii U pad also has.

I'll take your word for it, but my intuition says that the split hand set up of the Wii remote (or mouse) would be more comfortable at least.

My interest depends on whether shooting xenos at point blank range has you sprayed with acid and you lose almost all your armor/health.

Or whether walking over dead xenos hurts you.

From Edge's preview it sounds like they're taking the Aliens approach of action>horror, where the xenomorths are only threatening in packs. Unfortunately.

Top Bottom