• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: Wii U Aliens Colonial Marines is best looking version

USC-fan

Banned
Two things:

The Cell isn't a standard CPU. Really, there are barely any CPUs that match it's peak computational performance even today. It's peak performance is rated at 230 GFLOPs. The most powerful Core i7 is rated at 65 GFLOPs. As you might imagine, it's just not comparable to normal CPUs. It's a totally different beast.

The other consoles aren't going to be 10x as powerful as Wii U. That's just crazy. There will barely be an Xbox vs. 360 difference between current consoles and the other next-gen systems.

I was just explaining how it can be weaker and also more powerful.

On the second point, that is not crazy. I don't see how you can say that is not possible given it s happen every single time with ms and Sony. I don't know how you can show 10x or whatever. I think it will be a huge jump and you sure won't see threads were people are happy that the next Gen version looks a little better than ps360 version. Like it some big deal....

Rich!

The online bit is nice to hear.

The 3DS online is getting really, really good. I'm sure this time Nintendo will bring it when it comes to online functionality. If they don't, then well...they haven't learnt anything. But that won't be the case.

NateDrake

The 3DS online is getting really, really good. I'm sure this time Nintendo will bring it when it comes to online functionality. If they don't, then well...they haven't learnt anything. But that won't be the case.

The 3DS online is better than Wii & certainly shows that Nintendo is looking to improve their online presence. Hearing from a third-party that the online structure for Wii U is solid is a major positive. E3 can't come soon enough.

You're probably right about that. I wonder how Batman: Arkham City will do since it will be a year old game by the time it's ported to Wii U. There's gonna be a lot of ports this year for Wii U and so how do third-parties expect to deal with that when they've got to compete against Nintendo's own titles in addition to a potential Black Ops 2 port as well. A lot of these games are going to be fighting for sales scraps.

One way they could really clean up at the register would be to come out at a discounted price. For most, after spending 300(+) on the system, probably another 100 will go into Mario and some other exclusive game. Seeing Batman and other older ports on the shelf with a discounted price tag would actually make me consider purchasing it, especially with the dlc and screen functionality.

Probably won't happen though. We will just get a horrid sales PR about why their port didn't sell next to a brand new multiplayer Mario title on the same day at the same price.

Orayn

On the second point, that is not crazy. I don't see how you can say that is not possible given it s happen every single time with ms and Sony. I don't know how you can show 10x or whatever. I think it will be a huge jump and you sure won't see threads were people are happy that the next Gen version looks a little better than ps360 version. Like it some big deal....

Well, that's just diminishing returns. Textures and poly counts have reached a point where it's hard to make that many jaw-dropping improvements. Since lighting has been steadily improving, and modern PCs can push pretty high resolutions with basic AA, there are fewer and fewer basic things to improve on. A lot of resources will go into more subtle things like tessellation, ambient occlusion, more advanced light/shadow effects, various blurs and filters.

BurntPork

Banned

I'm saying that there won't be a generational gap between Wii U and PS4/720.

Rich!

To compete in the online space, all they need to do is this:

1. Have an OS that's freely patchable and update friendly, to future-proof the console throughout the generation.

2. Have multiple profiles available on each console. Each one must be linked to a Club Nintendo account along with any content, NOT tied to the console itself.

3. Allow title updates and patches for games.

4. Have a natural evolution of the eShop, with access to DLC, demos for every game and patches.

5. Voice chat and a decent friend list system.

That's it for the ESSENTIAL stuff. Now, the other stuff which would also be nice:

6. Gamecube/VC downloads from launch. A method to transfer your content from your Wii to the Wii-U (a transfer system seems unlikely though...)

7. Hulu/Netflix available at launch in the USA. Netflix/Lovefilm/BBC iplayer/ITV player etc available from launch in the UK. Very likely, and will help cement it's place in the living room for any audience.

8. Decent music/video capabilities. Fine, it can't play Blu Ray or DVD - but what's stopping it from playing MP3/MP4/DIVX? Not online related, but yeah.

Anyone disagree with me on these points?

USC-fan

Banned
Well, that's just diminishing returns. Textures and poly counts have reached a point where it's hard to make that many jaw-dropping improvements. Since lighting has been steadily improving, and modern PCs can push pretty high resolutions with basic AA, there are fewer and fewer basic things to improve on. A lot of resources will go into more subtle things like tessellation, ambient occlusion, more advanced light/shadow effects, various blurs and filters.

My PC looks way better than my PS3. Very easy to tell and these are built based on the console. They are really holding back PC. Bf3 is like night and day. Plus the console barely can run online maps, they are tiny...

These console can't even run these games in HD. Diminishing returns lol

BurntPork

Banned
Oh you still think the wiiu is a jump not Xbox 360+?

No. It's more like somewhere in-between. 2-3x current-gen in terms of raw specs, with modern (DX11-class) effects. It'll be a lot weaker than the PS4/720, but not another Wii. Like Wii U vs PS4/720 will be similar to Dreamcast vs XBox/Wii.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Oh you still think the wiiu is a jump not Xbox 360+?

Why not?

Consider the timeline...
Code:
[u]    360     PS3                                            Wii U   XB3/PS4[/u]  
    2005    2006    2007    2008    2009    2010    2011    2012    2013

Orayn

My PC looks way better than my PS3. Very easy to tell and these are built based on the console. They are really holding back PC. Bf3 is like night and day. Plus the console barely can run online maps, they are tiny...

These console can't even run these games in HD. Diminishing returns lol

While I would classify BF3 as a transitional game like Half-Life 2, Far Cry, or Doom 3, what I mean to say is that it's a less dramatic different compared to games that came out early in this generation. My point is just that the things that we'll see improvements in are generally not going to be as obvious at a glance as the advancements we've seen in the past.

Does anyone here think Nintendo should also offer a premium online service? If so, what could you see "Super NiN" having, and do you think it would be a good venture for them?

Rich!

Does anyone here think Nintendo should also offer a premium online service? If so, what could you see "Super NiN" having, and do you think it would be a good venture for them?

Honestly, no.

They should strive to offer the same as XBOX LIVE but absolutely free. Make people question why they would pay for an identical service.

Oh, so online is prevalent for the Wii through third parties(whatever third party support there is:p)???

And will Nintendo ever support it???

I mean, what about just make it useable between friends???

I would say it's prevalent through Treyarch. That's about it.

I don't have answers to your other questions, but hopefully they give up on this Wii Speak nonsense. Whether they did it because they thought they could "innovate" online gaming or because they wanted to prevent the precious ears of small children.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be down with it, but not for $60 a year. The only reason I pay for XBL at all is because I fucking love Halo. $30 a year at most.

It'd be dead on arrival. They have to prove they can do online right before they can begin charging for it.

Orayn

It'd have to offer a lot, and I mean A LOT. As in, quite a few free DD games while subscribed, maybe a VC stipend.

Luigiv

To compete in the online space, all they need to do is this:

1. Have an OS that's freely patchable and update friendly, to future-proof the console throughout the generation.

2. Have multiple profiles available on each console. Each one must be linked to a Club Nintendo account along with any content, NOT tied to the console itself.

3. Allow title updates and patches for games.

4. Have a natural evolution of the eShop, with access to DLC, demos for every game and patches.

5. Voice chat and a decent friend list system.

That's it for the ESSENTIAL stuff. Now, the other stuff which would also be nice:

6. Gamecube/VC downloads from launch. A method to transfer your content from your Wii to the Wii-U (a transfer system seems unlikely though...)

7. Hulu/Netflix available at launch in the USA. Netflix/Lovefilm/BBC iplayer/ITV player etc available from launch in the UK. Very likely, and will help cement it's place in the living room for any audience.

8. Decent music/video capabilities. Fine, it can't play Blu Ray or DVD - but what's stopping it from playing MP3/MP4/DIVX? Not online related, but yeah.

Anyone disagree with me on these points?

Pretty much agree with this except for "demos for every game". Manufacturer mandated demos are never a good idea. Let publishers and developers work out for themselves whether they can afford to spend time and money on a demo or not. These things aren't free, you know.

USC-fan

Banned
No. It's more like somewhere in-between. 2-3x current-gen in terms of raw specs, with modern (DX11-class) effects. It'll be a lot weaker than the PS4/720, but not another Wii. Like Wii U vs PS4/720 will be similar to Dreamcast vs XBox/Wii.

Xbox 360 + is from 2 different insiders in the wiiu thread. You are setting yourself up for a huge let down.

Wiiu gpu is dx10.1

Xbox 360 + is from 2 different insiders in the wiiu thread. You are setting yourself up for a huge let down.

Wiiu gpu is dx10.1

Wii U early dev kit GPU is DX10.1 equivalent first off. Second the GPU wasn't completed till late Dec./Early Jan. Third you have to understand the context of why Ideaman said "Xbox 360+", while antonz, whom I'm assuming is the other you are referring to, well just look at the link I posted up above.

- It's a very powerful system. More so than 360/PS3.
Can people stop posting this like it means something? I think we all know the Wii U will be superior to the PS3/360. That's not what anyone is concerned or arguing about.

Erethian

From Edge's preview it sounds like they're taking the Aliens approach of action>horror, where the xenomorths are only threatening in packs. Unfortunately.

Well you can still do the action thing while making the threat of a xenomorph getting up close to you a near-fatal experience. They don't need the walking on dead aliens = get hurt thing (I can't remember whether Aliens vs Predator had that, but the first game from Rebellion did. Also instantaneous death if a facehugger got onto you), but the acid for blood is a pretty huge part of what makes a xenomorph so terrifying. It makes you absolutely determined to put those things down as soon as you see them, and as far away from you as possible.

BurntPork

Banned

I was trying not to put him on the spot. :p

Wiiu gpu is dx10.1

Click this link in the other quote in this post. My feelings are based on the insider comments. The thing is, you're talking about visually while I'm talking about raw performance. So yeah, it's 360+ visually, but it's a bit more than that in terms of tech. (And, really, if it were only just above 360 in terms of power, any game using the controller would end up looking worse than the 360 version.)

The old devkit used an R700. That doesn't mean anything when the final GPU is custom. A dev here actually said that it has 2011/2012 bells and whistles.

USC-fan

Banned
Wii U early dev kit GPU is DX10.1 equivalent first off. Second the GPU wasn't completed till late Dec./Early Jan. Third you have to understand the context of why Ideaman said "Xbox 360+", while antonz, whom I'm assuming is the other you are referring to, well just look at the link I posted up above.

So you they switch to a different design gpu, that doesn't make sense. Both insiders have been saying the same things.

Like I said early in this thread wiiu will be the Xbox to ps2(ps360).

antonz

So you they switch to a different design gpu, that doesn't make sense. Both insiders have been saying the same things.

Initial devkits were using off the shelf parts that can give an idea of end power but not feature set.

They've been saying the same things I have shared in the thread. And the early GPU was just a placeholder like how the Xbox 360 had a Radeon 9800, then an x800 in its early kits. Plus the GPU has Nintendo-added features on top. What they are, I don't know.

You mean the Wii U may not be the massively underpowered system that the historically negative "hardcore videogame fanboys" want it to be? You don't say.

USC-fan

Banned
I was trying not to put him on the spot. :p

Click this link in the other quote in this post. My feelings are based on the insider comments. The thing is, you're talking about visually while I'm talking about raw performance. So yeah, it's 360+ visually, but it's a bit more than that in terms of tech. (And, really, if it were only just above 360 in terms of power, any game using the controller would end up looking worse than the 360 version.)

The old devkit used an R700. That doesn't mean anything when the final GPU is custom. A dev here actually said that it has 2011/2012 bells and whistles.

You understand amd design the gpu? Its a old card if they wanted a dx11 card those are out and are old designs too.

I don't know how you get it some power full console based off the comments. I don't see how you can be way more powerful but not produce better looking games. Unless its just a poor design.

Neiteio

I'm honestly not expecting the WiiU to much more powerful than PS3 and 360. Chances are it will be like the 3DS is to the Wii: stronger in some respects, weaker in others. But it'll be nice to finally have Nintendo haves that are at least 720p and that aren't rendered obsolete on arrival by modern-day TVs.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This is my second most wanted 3rd party launch game, behind Killer Freaks. Unfortunately, both are FPS games. :/

Retro's game better not be a FPS too, or Wii U's library is going to look lopsided.

Erethian

You understand amd design the gpu? Its a old card if they wanted a dx11 card those are out and are old designs too.

I don't know how you get it some power full console based off the comments. I don't see how you can be way more powerful but not produce better looking games. Unless its just a poor design.

Because you're going to need next-generation hardware that is 8-10 times more powerful than what's currently available to produce an immediately appreciable leap in graphics.

If the developers don't put forth the effort to take advantage of the power, then of course they won't look better. In the case of this thread, this developer is. No one is saying Wii U is going to blow away PS360, but just because it doesn't blow them away doesn't make it totally incapable either.

BurntPork

Banned

Antonz just cleared up your first point, so I'll consider that covered.

It will produce better looking games. A few more effects, better AA, better textures, better frame rate. I mean, the point of this thread is that this game will look better. And I never said that it's a full generational leap. Stop putting words into my mouth.

Why do so many people here see things as black and white, as if there's nothing between 1 and 10? Maybe some people here are used to binary?

USC-fan

Banned
Because you're going to need next-generation hardware that is 8-10 times more powerful than what's currently available to produce an immediately appreciable leap in graphics.

Why do people throw out 10x... 28689x???

It really has no meaning.

I always thought it was obvious that the Wii U was somewhere Dreamcast level of power (compared to the respected consoles of their time of course).

Having a PC as your main gaming go-to is totally justified when you end up getting bargains like Arkham City for £5 and Rayman for £9.99.

The amount of money I've saved is ridiculous - the price of building the damn thing has effectively been written off due to the money I've saved on buying games compared to if I'd got a console..

Exactly. I've saved hundreds. I looked into buying a 3DS and was shocked how much I would have to spend to get a console with 4 games. Add a little more and I could get a 680GTX. Sure I may have spent $1200 on my build but it hasn't aged a day in 2 years. It easily has another 2 years in it without upgrading a thing.

Top Bottom