• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: Wii U Aliens Colonial Marines is best looking version

mclem

However, and I don't see why all developers don't see this, the MORE controller options the better. Always and forever. No developer will ever be penalized or exclude audiences for having TOO many customizable control options.

I wonder if any dual-analogue proponents tried Call of Duty online on Wii and deemed it broken because people were shooting them too easily?

That'd amuse me immensely. And I think that's a genuine possibility with this on Wii U, particularly if it supports Wiimote pointing but doesn't supply one in the box.

Not interested in the Wii U version but it's a good year to be an Alien(s)-fan :)

Hopefully it's not just Left4Alien but actually scary.

Sounds like they won't even consider implenting pointer controls.

smh

I don't care for FPS games, but now you can already see this coming for other games that would be better off with mote/nunchuck as an option, but will get ridiculous touch screen gimmicks tacked on instead.

We already have more than enough bullet sponge shooters. And even in the movies, a three round burst is often enough to bring a Xenomorph down.

There are other ways to make enemies more menacing and harder to deal with. Make them faster, smarter, use the environment... just generally harder to hit. It's not just cannon fodder or bullet sponge. Old Monolith would have absolutely nailed the Xenomorph but Gearbox aren't amateurs either. I'll wait and see.

We already have more than enough bullet sponge shooters. And even in the movies, a three round burst is often enough to bring a Xenomorph down.

Player downed one with two shots from a pistol. Alien exploded into bits.

There are other ways to make enemies more menacing and harder to deal with. Make them faster, smarter, use the environment... just generally harder to hit. It's not just cannon fodder or bullet sponge. Old Monolith would have absolutely nailed the Xenomorph but Gearbox aren't amateurs either. I'll wait and see.

Exactly. I hope they get creative and have Aliens coming from every orifice instead of:

See it on GPS

Turns corner; "raargh"

You shoot.

Xenomorphs are dangerous because they're industrious, adaptable to their environment, and unable for humans to engage in close combat.

EDarkness

smh

I don't care for FPS games, but now you can already see this coming for other games that would be better off with mote/nunchuck as an option, but will get ridiculous touch screen gimmicks tacked on instead.

I've already decided that if FPS games on the Wii U don't support IR, then no sale. The game looks interesting, but that's not enough for me to have to deal with dual analog controls. I don't care if they support dual analog, but not including IR is not something I'm gonna turn a blind eye to.

USC-fan

Banned
Antonz just cleared up your first point, so I'll consider that covered.

It will produce better looking games. A few more effects, better AA, better textures, better frame rate. I mean, the point of this thread is that this game will look better. And I never said that it's a full generational leap. Stop putting words into my mouth.

Why do so many people here see things as black and white, as if there's nothing between 1 and 10? Maybe some people here are used to binary?
This is what i am talking about... wasnt talking about the dev.

I was talking about your statements like this one. you say in other post 2-3x over xbox 360. That is pretty massive. Maybe you just understand this statement. Or just going by ram..??. but if it was 2-3x more powerful dev would not be saying xbox360 +

When new gpu gen come out you get around 15%-20% improvement. What you are saying 200%-300% that massive.

A lot more than just better aa and framerate. It would run every current gen game in 1080p at 60 fps but that is not the case. Going by what the insiders posted.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Totally supporting this one. We've got a dev going on record that they will be using the extra power of the Wii U to craft a game that will be the graphically superior console version, and which seems to be taking advantage of the subscreen controller and online functions of the system itself. They're not giving us a lazy port. That's everything I'm asking for and they seem to be delivering.

BurntPork

Banned
This is what i am talking about... wasnt talking about the dev.

I was talking about your statements like this one. you say in other post 2-3x over xbox 360. That is pretty massive. Maybe you just understand this statement. Or just going by ram..??. but if it was 2-3x more powerful dev would not be saying xbox360 +

When new gpu gen come out you get around 15%-20% improvement. What you are saying 200%-300% that massive.

A lot more than just better aa and framerate. It would run every current gen game in 1080p at 60 fps but that is not the case. Going by what the insiders posted.

A 15-20% improvement would result in worse performance than 360 when using the controller's screen and the TV at the same time.

Also, what I was saying would be a 100%-200% improvement, and it would need closer to 4-5x 360 to maintain 1080p/60FPS steadily. it's not as massive as you think it is.

Effect

Support for the Wii Remote and Nunchuck is the one thing that will get me to buy this game. Otherwise, no sale.

This. I've decided not to compromise on this going forward. Wii remote and nunchuck for FPS or no purchase. End of story.

I've tried the dual analog for Modern Warfare 3 on the PS3. While I'm okay and have gotten significantly better it's simply not as fun as the Wii remote/nunchuck or a keyboard and mouse. It's part of the reason why I haven't gone back to play Metroid Prime 1 after playing Metroid Prime 3. I'd love to get my hands on the trilogy collection but can't find it for a reasonable price. Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2 (didn't play 1), Wii versions of Call of Duty, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Conduit 1 and 2, and Goldeneye 007. Pointer controls for FPS are superior is a belief I can't be shaken of and it's something that needs to be there. It's a deal breaker no matter how much time and effort is put into making the Wii U version best. This is extended to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and I'm looking forward to that as well. However that will not be purchased without Wii remote controls.

Potential Wii U owners should definitely put this game on their launch radar. Like mentioned above, we have a developer who's actually putting extra time and effort into the Wii U version to make it look and play better.

Potential Wii U owners should definitely put this game on their launch radar. Like mentioned above, we have a developer who's actually putting extra time and effort into the Wii U version to make it look and play better.

I will purchase a copy as long as you put Wiimote control in. Otherwise no sale.

Vanquish is unplayable for me because dual analog for a frenetic shooter is so slow after playing with the Wiimote.

I will purchase a copy as long as you put Wiimote control in. Otherwise no sale.

Vanquish is unplayable for me because dual analog for a frenetic shooter is so slow after playing woth the Wiimote.
While I hope there's a Wiimote aspect to it, I have a feeling it won't be there initially. Maybe in a patch.

Vanquish is unplayable for me because dual analog for a frenetic shooter is so slow after playing with the Wiimote.
Yep, it won't even register on my radar unless it has the pointer functionality. This is my line in the sand for shooters on the Wii U. The tablet controller is cool and all, but I think games like Trauma Center would be more fun with that controller.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Player downed one with two shots from a pistol. Alien exploded into bits.

Exactly. I hope they get creative and have Aliens coming from every orifice instead of:

See it on GPS

Turns corner; "raargh"

You shoot.

Xenomorphs are dangerous because they're industrious, adaptable to their environment, and unable for humans to engage in close combat.

In the multiplayer it definitely sounds like the Xenomorphs will have to be far more fragile than the humans because of how Randy was describing all of the advantages the Xenomorphs get with respect to environmental awareness.

KageMaru

This isn't surprising but still great news. I'm jealous of wii-u owners who will be getting this.

But GAF says that the WiiU is underpowered!

So, it's gotta be.

Can you sound any more bitter and immature? We all know it will be underpowered compared to it's competitors, so there's no need for stupid posts like these.

hokahey

People that havent played it yet are declaring they wont buy it without different controls? This is why Nintendo consoles cant have nice things.

Day 1.

In the multiplayer it definitely sounds like the Xenomorphs will have to be far more fragile than the humans because of how Randy was describing all of the advantages the Xenomorphs get with respect to environmental awareness.

Aliens the movie had no multiplayer so I don't need it in this either <_<

So any youtube links?

Of what? The Wii U version? It won't be shown until E3. Nothing Wii U will.

In regards to FPS on Wii. Could one of those who have seen the light explain why it is so much better? I've finished Red Steel 1 & 2, Conduit, GoldenEye, all the CoD's and the Metroid Trilogy with pointer controls, and I never feel that I "get" them, and become genuinely good with them. It's always a constant compromise about movement or looking for me. Is there a shooter that did it more right then the others? Did I not toy enough with the settings for each game or am I just not capable of enjoying the pointer controls?

EDarkness

People that havent played it yet are declaring they wont buy it without different controls? This is why Nintendo consoles cant have nice things.

Day 1.

I think its a pretty simple request. Unfortunate for them that the remote and nunchuck exist.

My question is if he meant "next gen" to mean PS4/720 or 360/PS3. And yes lots of people still call this gen "next gen".
People are really grasping at straws here, just watch the video for Pete's sake.

smh

Controlling the motion tracker is a gimmick? From all we know and seen so far it seems to be pretty important in terms of game design.

Xenomorphs seemed to go down too easy.
Remember, short controlled bursts.

Aliens go down pretty quickly if you have weapons and ammo, they are fast though. That's what I don't like so far but I understand the problems in terms of game design: You should be absolutely f*cked when an Alien manages to get near you, not use melee etc. But this would be hard to incorporate in terms of game design.

Day 1.
Nintendo consoles can't have nice things because third parties normally suck on these consoles. I'm not asking for a billion graphical updates, twenty patches or even exclusive software. I just want them to use a control setup that surpassed the dual analog for me years ago. I stopped playing most shooters after Halo 3 since RE4 Wii edition spoiled me with the wii mote. There are like 150 million of those suckers out in the wild right now. Third parties will have no excuses this time.

It's the perfect controller for lightgun games as well, but I can bet that this genre will mysteriously die out despite having the perfect controller and an actual online setup in the Wii U. It's a pretty useful for lots of genres.

Day 1.

I'm sorry, but graphics only go so far for me. To me the Wii was an evolution in FPS controls and I can't go back now.

Dual analog is fine for a slower more calculated game like Monster Hunter, but I want pinpoint accuracy and speed in my fps. Dual analog cannot provide that.

Peru

So so happy with dual stick controller for Wii U, get the added real estate of the screen and no waving gimmick.

Rich!

It's dual analog, so that's fucking stupid.

gahh

Try to think outside of the box. It has gyro controls, which combined with the dual analogs makes an absolutely incredible control system, as the PSVita has shown through Uncharted. It's definitely different to how the Wiimote plays, but to say it's absolutely terrible, when you haven't even used the damn thing is just silly.

linko9

man it's like gearbox really doesn't want my money.

fine by me.

You saying you wish they'd fucked up the Wii U version so you wouldn't feel bad about getting the 360 version? I don't get it.

edit: sorry, hadn't refreshed this thread in a while.

opi1saved

Neo Member
Of what? The Wii U version? It won't be shown until E3. Nothing Wii U will.

In regards to FPS on Wii. Could one of those who have seen the light explain why it is so much better? I've finished Red Steel 1 & 2, Conduit, GoldenEye, all the CoD's and the Metroid Trilogy with pointer controls, and I never feel that I "get" them, and become genuinely good with them. It's always a constant compromise about movement or looking for me. Is there a shooter that did it more right then the others? Did I not toy enough with the settings for each game or am I just not capable of enjoying the pointer controls?
I'm thinking you just didn't tweak the settings enough. Shrinking the dead zone and cranking up turning speeds will give you a set up faster than dual analog. It can almost get too fast without practice. I'll give dual analog a go with this game for the motion tracker on the pad, but games like CoD I'd much prefer to use the Wiimote.

So do you think that with the president talking such extreme highs about the Wii U that we can expect every PS360 game from them to land on Wii U like Borderlands 2 and BIAF4?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Day 1.

This. Don't get me wrong. I love the Wiimote and Nunchuk, but that was last gen. This new controller could be even better. I don't want to be like certain console owners that just want their controllers to remain the same - forever. Progress is good. At the very least, I'm not knocking it until I try it myself.

Top Bottom